Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Jesse,

It's interesting your response to first meeting me, because my 'scaring' of children was one of the reasons I left teaching. 

I'd taken a cover lesson (that's one where a teacher steps in to 'cover' the absence of a colleague at short notice). This would be late September, and the class was a first year one - one I hadn't encountered before. It was a maths period, and I suggested the class get on with tasks previously-set. Except, one little oik decided to muck about. After a short period of 'negotiation', I took him outside the classroom and he soon realised his physical well-being was in jeopardy, whereupon he blubbed his apologies and subsequently worked rather hard. I thought nothing more, until later in the day I was summoned to the head's office to be told by her that she'd had a 'complaint'. I resisted the temptation to tell her that I wasn't a doctor and, thus, was of little help in that regard! Apparently, this little squit had gone to her complaining that Mr Wright had frightened him! Full marks for perception, I thought. 'Children do not come to my school to be frightened' she told me in a stern voice. As I left her office, I thought 'Stuff this', and, at the end of the term left the profession forever! The rest, as they say, is history. 

It is a privilege to be your friend, and I'm immensely gratified at your 'progress'. A star pupil?

In many ways, it's me who should be scared - you're taller, fitter and a lot younger than I am, though I can still run quite well.

And, yes, you're booked in here for November......................

Regards,

Tony.  

You honestly remind me of my old English teacher, he scared the crap out of me, didnt want him as a teacher. As soon as I had him, he turned into a really good bloke for me in school and he is the only teacher I catch up with, now 6 years out of high school and have a beer with. 

A star pupil? I wouldn’t go that far, I haven’t built a loco....yet. Will I be expecting a certificate after my very first loco. A graduation of Wright’s Kit Building Apprenticeships? 

Yes I am taller, but fitter? I dunno about that, I would need a cigarette every 10 metres..... 

many thanks Tony, It will only be a short trip this year. Better then nothing. 

Jesse 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I still vividly remember my first "Bollocking" at work as an apprentice engineer back in 1969 at Wigan gas works. On my first morning in the office brewing the tea I took a china cup in it's fancy saucer (the only china cup in Wigan gas works) full of my steaming hot tea upstairs to the district engineer (AKA God). I'd just got back downstairs when he bellowed for me to go back up --- What's this ? - Bloody battleships in my tea (tea leaves) - have you never brewed up before ? - Sorry Mr B I stuttered,  I don't drink tea and I've never brewed up before !!!.  Scared to death, he marched me downstairs to the kitchen, with the office clerks and supervisors in tears laughing and gave me a lecture and detailed instructions on the use of kettle, tea amounts per cup, temperature, etc etc.  He also said "If you want to be a gas engineer then you had best learn to both make AND drink tea - gallons of it !!!

R.I.P. Fred - A true gentleman, engineer and tea brewer of the old school.

Brit15

In my first full time job on the railway I was put to 'learning' with a former Special Class Relief Signalman who had been put in a clerical job due to ill health.  The first thing he asked me was if I knew how to make tea - I hadn't a clue apart from a rough idea of what went into it.  So I then had a tea making lesson, and have never looked back since then.  Thanks Bert Barnett,  of fond memory - from over 50 years ago.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

At the end of 1969 I went on a 3 day 'taster' course to Nottingham Uni school of Engineering.   One of the lectures that we had was on Critical Path Analysis and the lecturer used the production of a mug of tea as his example of a task.   He spent 40 minutes, explaining the concept and got the various sub tasks all drawn out on the board and eventually identified the Critical path, did all the maths and balanced everything up, he then leaned back, obviously expecting a round of applause., at this point a broad south Yorkshire voice came from the rear corner of the lecture theatre "Tha's forgot ta warm t'pot"   the whole lecture theatre erupted in howls of laughter, fortunately the lecturer too it all in a very good spirit and joined in with the laughter.   However the production of a good mug of tea is an art, seldom known here in France and never, in my experience across the pond.

As to frightening teachers, our latin master was known as God and we were afraid of him.   When he caned pupils he reputedly drew blood on the 4th stroke. However I learned very little from him.   My chemistry teacher on the other hand was a star.  he had worked at Sellafield, and when we were stuck on arcane points of nuclear chemistry or in one case crystalline states, he used to roll up the blackboard and teach us how to make atom bombs, or some other thing that wasn't on the 1960's curriculum.   It certainly got the point across.   Nowadays he'd probably get visited by the anti terror squad.

Jamie

PS.  I also had teachers for parents.

• Like 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a geography teacher in junior school who used to extract the answer by 'tweaking' one's sideboards until one was on tiptoes  Imagine that today!

I recall that the correct answers were never forthcoming!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Not a Teacher but a very clever pupil at my school was one Graham Young of Durham Prison and Broadmoor notoriety, the "Teacup Murderer" The school lab could never keep Rats alive for any length of time but no one was ever suspicious about their fates.

I read a book by the reformed villian  John McVicar who was in Durham with Young, Ian Brady and Walter "Angel Face" Probyn and a second book on the life of Graham Young by Fred Dinenage which both tell the same story.

Mcvicar persuaded Young to poison Ian Brady. After a few days Probyn was in agony with stomach pains but Mcvicar told him to man up and not to be such a wimp. Several days later both Mcvicar and Prebyn were in agony and Mcvicar  realised that Young was poisoning both of them.

There may be honour among thieves but not poisoners it would seem. Young met his end in Parkhurst Prison on the Isle of Wight at the age of 42 in 1990 when he died supposedly from Heart failure,although  there remains conjecture that  fellow inmates, who, with the exception of Brady, were always extremely wary of Young, may have poisoned him or, alternately, that he grew tired of prison life and poisoned himself, in one final gesture of control.

• Informative/Useful 6

51 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Not a Teacher but a very clever pupil at my school was one Graham Young of Durham Prison and Broadmoor notoriety, the "Teacup Murderer" The school lab could never keep Rats alive for any length of time but no one was ever suspicious about their fates.

I read a book by the reformed villian  John McVicar who was in Durham with Young, Ian Brady and Walter "Angel Face" Probyn and a second book on the life of Graham Young by Fred Dinenage which both tell the same story.

Mcvicar persuaded Young to poison Ian Brady. After a few days Probyn was in agony with stomach pains but Mcvicar told him to man up and not to be such a wimp. Several days later both Mcvicar and Prebyn were in agony and Mcvicar  realised that Young was poisoning both of them.

There may be honour among thieves but not poisoners it would seem. Young met his end in Parkhurst Prison on the Isle of Wight at the age of 42 in 1990 when he died supposedly from Heart failure,although  there remains conjecture that  fellow inmates, who, with the exception of Brady, were always extremely wary of Young, may have poisoned him or, alternately, that he grew tired of prison life and poisoned himself, in one final gesture of control.

Living only three miles from where Graham Young carried out his deeds I have known several people who reckon that they had a very lucky escape. They all claim to have had various bouts of sickness at the time when they were working with him. As his trick was to poison people over a period of time I have no reason not to think that they are right.

As for teachers I had Geoffrey Tandy of Bletchley park fame as an English teacher. Although of course no one knew about that period of his life at the time.

I also had a biology teacher who stood behind me one day and said about a drawing I had made."That is no bloody good". Opening his penknife as he said it and spearing my note book to the desk. He left soon after that to become a C of E Vicar.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of teachers, I've been very lucky in having lots of encouragement with my hobbies and career choice.

Certainly in primary school one teacher used to say I was going to be in the papers (for good reasons) and she was right, on numerous occasions as well as some acting on TV. (Mr Franks is not the only one on here ;))

In secondary school it was suggested I went to university to do a transport degree but my problem is I get bored in a classroom and love to be out and about.

In the end I did a home study course in 5 weeks around work and did my "certificate of professional competence in passenger transport" which means I'm qualified to run a bus company (transport manager) anywhere in the EU.

Ive certainly seen some teachers lose it in school as the pupils push the teachers to the limit and know the strain myself having driven school buses, the language and stuff said is worse than adults.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

I had a geography teacher in junior school who used to extract the answer by 'tweaking' one's sideboards until one was on tiptoes  Imagine that today!

Crikey John, you had sideboards at junior school?????

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

A star pupil? I wouldn’t go that far, I haven’t built a loco....yet. Will I be expecting a certificate after my very first loco. A graduation of Wright’s Kit Building Apprenticeships? 

A member of "Wright's Association of New Kit Erectors and Restorers"?

People have called me one of them for years. Which is weird, because I've not built a loco kit....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

I have a worrying feeling that he taught me as well, although mine was in secondary school - perhaps it was his twin?

Just as a huge 'thank you' to all those who've most-generously donated to CRUK recently in one way or another, this morning Trudy Stammer (head of voluntary fund raising) will receive cheques adding up to £705.00. That puts us well on the way already to £2,000.00 this year - and it's still only February! 

Should I revise the target to £4,000.00 for 2019? 

Speaking with a friend yesterday, what occurs is as predictable as tomorrow! Over the last month I've had a large donation of models from Juke (Syd) - many thanks again - and in less than a fortnight I've found new homes for all but one loco on behalf of a bereaved family.

What's next, I wonder?  

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 10

The best single line of wisdom that was given to me, very close to the end of my education, having asked a tutor how they thought I best resolve an issue was: 'how do you think you should solve it?' I wished I'd be given that right at the beginning of my education, school would have been far more interesting, with that priceless gem in my pocket.

I also wish that I'd be taught my own language precisely. French, German and Latin lessons were wasted on me since I couldn't even use my native language correctly. I still can't spell or punctuate. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

I have a worrying feeling that he taught me as well, although mine was in secondary school - perhaps it was his twin?

Twisting the sideburns !!!!!  That was my geography teachers favorite means of control....were they taught this method of torture as part of their teaching training course? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:49, Theakerr said:

I am trying to find swankneck  platform lamps and platform seats, presumably of LNER origin, that would have been on Grimsby Station circa 1955/57.  Bearing in mind I live in the Great White North .....

I had no idea that a model of my local station is taking shape in the GWN. More power to your elbow!

I'm a little surprised that after more than 36 hours no comment has been made in respect of the style of those lamps. Did they have particularly swanky necks?

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Twisting the sideburns !!!!!  That was my geography teachers favorite means of control....were they taught this method of torture as part of their teaching training course? 

It was twisting ears at my school - none of the kids pupils had sideburns.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Should I revise the target to £4,000.00 for 2019? 

Tony, I would set a new target when you’ve achieved the current one, otherwise you will probably lose the sense of achievement at that moment.  Better to achieve every target you set, rather than be constantly pursuing one moving goalpost!

Phil

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grahame said:

It was twisting ears at my school - none of the kids pupils had sideburns.

G

It must have been a geography teachers thing! I suppose that I didn't have sideburns (or sideboards), but pulling the hair just above the ear upwards didn't half hurt! I can't remember if I ever gave the right answer!

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 25/02/2019 at 21:33, sandra said:

Tony,

It was lovely to see you and Mo at Glasgow. I really enjoyed the show but I spent too much money. It was extremely kind of you to buy me dinner on Sunday night and I wish to thank you both once again.

We we were talking about how long LNER livery lasted after nationalisation. Coincidentally I just happened to be looking through “The Book of the Princess Royal Pacifics”, I think you’ll know why, and I found on page 59 a photograph of the 8.00am ex Liverpool at Bletchley headed by 45097 and 46207 apparently taken on 1st August 1953. The first coach in the train is a Gresley coach and you can clearly see that it is lettered LNER. The livery of the coach is not clear but it could be varnished teak. However the photograph does seem to show that LNER livery still existed five years after nationalisation, if the date is correct. As to what an LNER coach is doing in a West Coast express is another matter.

Sandra

Good afternoon Sandra,

after Harrow and wealdstone, the LM was keen to get their hands on anything that had a Pullman gangway and a buckeye coupling, in fact Gresley carriages were transferred to LM booked stock. With regard to the longevity of LNER liveries, Doncaster turned out its last varnished teak carriages in 1953, later still a couple of full brakes were photographed at Carlisle in 1963 still in varnished teak. Buckjumper 8568 carried its LNER livery until April 1956. The former LNER was very slow at repainting teak carriages, as one old hand put it 'the paint wouldn't stick and it looked bloody rubbish anyway'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are a trio of PDK B16's representing the 3 different versions. The B16/1 was the first etched kit I built, and I've just re-numbered it as a Heaton loco. The B16/2 is the latest , and I think that will suffice for this particular class.

IMG_20190227_124435.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, rowanj said:

Here are a trio of PDK B16's representing the 3 different versions. The B16/1 was the first etched kit I built, and I've just re-numbered it as a Heaton loco. The B16/2 is the latest , and I think that will suffice for this particular class.

What no B16/4?