Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

46 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I can't think of a better project for the A1 steam locomotive chaps than a proper Darlington locomotive.

I can, Andrew... a K3 -  such an massive omission from the preserved locomotive fleet. Then maybe a B16 :-).... ( I just want to live long enough to see and hear one again even though unlikely)

• Agree 2

I suspect after the P2 then the V4, any further builds will be hypothetical as far as I'm concerned. No problem with the desire for a K3. Peter Stranger of 52F Models was involved with the A1 Trust,and his vote was for a V3 as a future build,if I remember correctly.

Being only 37, I missed out on seeing all of these classes by a number of years. Therefore, I am extremely excited by the prospect that I'll be able to see replicas of any of them steam within my lifetime. 

Edited by Atso
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Clem said:

I can, Andrew... a K3 -  such an massive omission from the preserved locomotive fleet. Then maybe a B16 :-).... ( I just want to live long enough to see and hear one again even though unlikely)

Evening Clem,

maybe if it was a Darlington version.

I have two models that have never been completed. A BR 13 ton hopper, Bradwell and a SEF K3. I got both out of the cupboard the other night to access the situation. To my joy, the 13 ton hopper had ground to a halt simply because it required buffers and axle boxes ordering from MJT and a replacement set of wheels. Going forwards, all that is then required is the finishing of the brake gear.

The K3 was my late Fathers last great unfinished locomotive, As a result the class has become somewhat of a Moby Dick to my mind. Everything below the running board is complete, though the arrangement of the pony truck and rear drag box requires a little modification to my own preference. Getting into the complications of what particular K3 it is supposed to represent and tacking over another persons locomotive, has always been a bit of a block for a number of years. However, I did get the valve gear ( the full Monty with working 2 to 1 leavers) ) and wheels dismantled and the chassis cleaned up ready for undercoating It will go under the paint with a batch of carriages this weekend.

While researching K3's and looking at the practice and performance, it dawned on me just how phenomenally powerful these locomotives were.

• Like 4

The Grimsby/LNER swan neck lamps continue to elude me.   Mallard provided me with a link (Thks) and there are a couple there that look pretty well the target, one from DCC concepts and one from Guagemaster.   Turns out that DCC concepts even though there web page shows the lamp in question they sold the manufacturing on the Guagemaster who in turn appear to have stopped making the one I want.  Will e-mail them in due course.  To address Mr Kings question the pictures I can find don't show anything really fancy but do have a rather distinctive style with a bulbous base and a lamp that hangs down a fair bit from the support.  I can compromise on the hanging down bit but I would rather like to get a bottom that looks sort of right.  A friend has suggested 3 D printing, so I will do a search on Shapeways and perhaps talk to my local maker person since I run my layout during the hours of daylight I don't want working lamps - See one of peeves a few posts ago. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

punctuate

Well mate it's all about planting your feet. Then you can really punch your weight.

A quote from Terry Downes ex World Middleweight champion, when I washed cars for him and Mr Burns.

He used to live near us in Mill Hill.

Today saw a visit from friend Ray Flintoft from York. Ray is also a modeller of ECML locomotives. He brought some along.....................

855849688_RayA160140.jpg.9f2470070bea3e50e8fa8d0df31af0db.jpg

Coming from York, 50A's Pacifics were obvious candidates for him to build. This A1 is from a DJH kit. 

597529773_RayA160146.jpg.9ac8836d2afdc1bdfefcb171f9a488df.jpg 

As was this one. Little Bytham saw two PEREGRINEs today..............

530021106_A1sPEREGRINES.jpg.4f88f2f44d09797c50daa2eabdf3d0bb.jpg

Mine is on the left, in this case built from a Crownline kit. I bottle out on the painting. Ray paints all his own, while I have Ian Rathbone or Geoff Haynes paint my green locos. Geoff painted my 60146. 

I take my hat off to Ray building Millholme kits of Thompson Pacifics - they need a lot of modifications! Seen below is one of his A2/2s.

1147684932_6014060502.jpg.da22b96dbb29d872f51995ab4db41705.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Clem,

maybe if it was a Darlington version.

I have two models that have never been completed. A BR 13 ton hopper, Bradwell and a SEF K3. I got both out of the cupboard the other night to access the situation. To my joy, the 13 ton hopper had ground to a halt simply because it required buffers and axle boxes ordering from MJT and a replacement set of wheels. Going forwards, all that is then required is the finishing of the brake gear.

The K3 was my late Fathers last great unfinished locomotive, As a result the class has become somewhat of a Moby Dick to my mind. Everything below the running board is complete, though the arrangement of the pony truck and rear drag box requires a little modification to my own preference. Getting into the complications of what particular K3 it is supposed to represent and tacking over another persons locomotive, has always been a bit of a block for a number of years. However, I did get the valve gear ( the full Monty with working 2 to 1 leavers) ) and wheels dismantled and the chassis cleaned up ready for undercoating It will go under the paint with a batch of carriages this weekend.

While researching K3's and looking at the practice and performance, it dawned on me just how phenomenally powerful these locomotives were.

Hi Andrew,

Snap with the K3. I built this in 1980 and I've been meaning to convert it to EM for the last few years but have not got around to it. It has plenty of things wrong with it the most obvious being the cab. I built it before I fully grasped the differences between the different batches of the K3s but at least I correctly made it RH drive. It normally sits on my work bench staring at me, making me feel bad. 

IMG_3573.JPG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've not posted for sometime, I'm still getting used to the new format, But I thought I might post something I have built apart from the actual baseboard, Tim Horn did that, the rest is all my work.

722605578_fascia2.jpg.8bb0f1f86486b80e631cd544bcdee31c.jpg

The Cameo layout I've been building, Unfortunately didn't make the shortlist for Railex. Signage and lighting still to do.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi Andrew,

Snap with the K3. I built this in 1980 and I've been meaning to convert it to EM for the last few years but have not got around to it. It has plenty of things wrong with it the most obvious being the cab. I built it before I fully grasped the differences between the different batches of the K3s but at least I correctly made it RH drive. It normally sits on my work bench staring at me, making me feel bad. 

Evening Clem,

it's glad to know that somebody else suffers from the curse of the K3's. At least I've made a start now. With the exception of the 13 ton hopper, once I get going I always finish. I shall also have that little hopper beastie finished by the end of the year. Tonight was spent cleaning the three compartment brake third, the K3 chassis will require a bit more elbow grease. Though protected, it has sat around for more years than I would have liked. Seeing Tony's example has spurred me in to action, no longer will it sit rather sadly in a cupboard also making  me feel  bad.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Clem,

it's glad to know that somebody else suffers from the curse of the K3's. At least I've made a start now. With the exception of the 13 ton hopper, once I get going I always finish. I shall also have that little hopper beastie finished by the end of the year. Tonight was spent cleaning the three compartment brake third, the K3 chassis will require a bit more elbow grease. Though protected, it has sat around for more years than I would have liked. Seeing Tony's example has spurred me in to action, no longer will it sit rather sadly in a cupboard also making  me feel  bad.

I also suffer from the curse of the K3s.

I buit the Wills one back in late 1978, using a Bristol Models chassis and Ks P2 valve gear with Ks 22mm wheels, which were later replaced with Romford once they introduced their 22mm wheels. It was stripped down somewhat about 15 years ago with aim of improving it with a new correct diameter boiler. But it still languishes in that state as it was about that time Bachmann brought theirs out.

Of course that was a disappointment not least because of their poor attempt of lining the LNER version plus the significantly undersize driving wheels. I did buy a BR version as at least that was properly lined. Then 7 years ago I acquired from a deceased estate the remains of a SE Finecast kit plus the short kit to make a complete kit - but I've never found time since to build it! I also picked up an original Bachmann LNER version for a song that I couldn't refuse. Somewhere along the way I also acquired a brass Anchoridge kit also very cheaply which is also yet to be built!

However, I currently need to develop skills in lining in red for my current projects so the Bachmann K3 might become the test case!

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi Andrew,

IMG_3573.JPG

Why should you feel bad about such a natural-looking K3, Clem?

For an almost 40 year old loco, it looks very good to me. It's well-built (the cab isn't that wrong) and the finish is very competent - all your own work, of course. 

I recognise the Jamieson valve gear. What a Godsend that was at the time.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Why should you feel bad about such a natural-looking K3, Clem?

For an almost 40 year old loco, it looks very good to me. It's well-built (the cab isn't that wrong) and the finish is very competent - all your own work, of course. 

I recognise the Jamieson valve gear. What a Godsend that was at the time.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for kind comments, Tony. I feel bad because it's pleading to join it's mates that it grew up with which now run on EM lines. God, I just realised what I just said. Methinks I may be taking this anthropomorphism too far? ?

Yes it is Jamieson valve gear and it was either my first or second attempt at outside valve gear. I much prefer it (to look at)  to my Bachmann rebuild which somehow doesn't have the character of a kit build. But what is not so visible is the way the old wills kit  mounts on to the chassis (designed for a Triang modified 2-6-2T chassis) - by a cross shaft of thick white metal half way up the inside of the cab and a very visible screw head above the front buffer beam. I have the replacement chassis (SEF) at the ready but have yet to quite figure out how to sort out inside of the cab and the chassis mounting. Anyway, I have a mountain of other work to do on the layout itself. I'm always seduced into kit building when I should be doing scenery, buildings or signals. But hey, in retirement, who could ask for a better problem!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Retirement? Yes, that's great fun - time (despite what some say) to really get on with building things. After all, isn't that what this hobby's all about (or at least to those who post on here)?

Tomorrow, Geoff Haynes collects the lot below for painting. This is my loco-building since Christmas, either all built by me, finished by me or modified by me (there are two more under construction on the bench as well).

1399281491_Newlocos01.jpg.3e6c082ed6ed61a7ad7731e2c991c3a4.jpg

Happy days, though I really must get on with that bridge! 

Are they all for LB Tony? Looks like quite a few 'namers' there?

I posted this on my own thread, but I thought why not stir the pot and post it on here. Tony you would have seen, as well as the Grantham chaps, the A4 I had tattooed on me, back in August last year, well I finally got it finished today. 

DC9463BC-B4B2-488F-9A3E-0F2E4AB642F7.png

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Retirement? Yes, that's great fun - time (despite what some say) to really get on with building things. After all, isn't that what this hobby's all about (or at least to those who post on here)?

Tomorrow, Geoff Haynes collects the lot below for painting. This is my loco-building since Christmas, either all built by me, finished by me or modified by me (there are two more under construction on the bench as well).

Seriously impressive for two months.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

1399281491_Newlocos01.jpg.3e6c082ed6ed61a7ad7731e2c991c3a4.jpg

Happy days, though I really must get on with that bridge! 

Tony, your prolificacy puts us all to shame! That's some going!

Edited by Clem
grammar!!!!
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Clem said:

Personally, I don't do tattoos. But that's pretty cool Jesse!

I get that a lot, my grandma can’t sesm to understand why I do it either, until I got a ‘in memory’ tattoo, for my grandfather (her husband) she didn’t have anything to say when I showed her.  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I get that a lot, my grandma can’t sesm to understand why I do it either, until I got a ‘in memory’ tattoo, for my grandfather (her husband) she didn’t have anything to say when I showed her.  

You going to show it off at the weekend?????