Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I get that a lot, my grandma can’t seem to understand why I do it either, until I got a ‘in memory’ tattoo, for my grandfather (her husband) she didn’t have anything to say when I showed her.  

I presume that you will have heard this track by The Who from many years ago.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I do have a couple of K3's and here they are. They are, at present, not really likely visitors to Little Benton other than on the way to or from Cowlairs, Both are GBL bodies, based on Bachmann, running on the (dreaded) spilt-chassis from a V1/3. The nearer one will be re-numbered to a Heaton loco, and will probably need a flush-sided tender. The further, on a down fish, is based on a TW article, and has a SEF etched cab and Graeme King GNR tender, and is RH drive. Actually, K3's on fish were unusual in BR NER days - B1,V2 or Pacifics a more normal fare.

IMG_20190228_102910.jpg.f7a54805e5a9e9c8f4eb9f25d6b35c67.jpgIMG_20190228_103008.jpg.1681b431f6d3facfb575dbf92b0ddcfb.jpg

Finally, that Thompson chap couldn't leave well enough alone, and rebuilt one to a K5. Again GBL body ,Replica B1 bits, and V1/3 chassis. Definitely out of place on Tyneside.

IMG_20190228_103210.jpg.cb6a783588aba10cece3f375ff0fe8dd.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Are they all for LB Tony? Looks like quite a few 'namers' there?

Not all, David,

The K3 is for a Scottish chum and the Brit is for a friend by way of barter. He's doing a lot of work in the garden for Mo and I'm detailing/modifying/improving lots of RTR items for him in exchange. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Clem said:

Tony, your prolificacy puts us all to shame! That's some going!

Actually, only three are entirely my own work, Clem,

The A3, K3 and V2.

The A1 was substantially-finished by a deceased modeller, who also started the Ivatt conversion, for which I built the chassis and completed the bodywork alterations. The Brit is just a modified Hornby item. The last-mentioned is the one which interests me the least, good though it is. It's really little more than a purchase. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

I posted this on my own thread, but I thought why not stir the pot and post it on here. Tony you would have seen, as well as the Grantham chaps, the A4 I had tattooed on me, back in August last year, well I finally got it finished today. 

DC9463BC-B4B2-488F-9A3E-0F2E4AB642F7.png

What would you like me to say, Jesse? 

I think you know the answer!

Best,

Tony. 

• Funny 6

39 minutes ago, rowanj said:

I do have a couple of K3's and here they are. They are, at present, not really likely visitors to Little Benton other than on the way to or from Cowlairs, Both are GBL bodies, based on Bachmann, running on the (dreaded) spilt-chassis from a V1/3. The nearer one will be re-numbered to a Heaton loco, and will probably need a flush-sided tender. The further, on a down fish, is based on a TW article, and has a SEF etched cab and Graeme King GNR tender, and is RH drive. Actually, K3's on fish were unusual in BR NER days - B1,V2 or Pacifics a more normal fare.

IMG_20190228_102910.jpg.f7a54805e5a9e9c8f4eb9f25d6b35c67.jpgIMG_20190228_103008.jpg.1681b431f6d3facfb575dbf92b0ddcfb.jpg

Finally, that Thompson chap couldn't leave well enough alone, and rebuilt one to a K5. Again GBL body ,Replica B1 bits, and V1/3 chassis. Definitely out of place on Tyneside.

IMG_20190228_103210.jpg.cb6a783588aba10cece3f375ff0fe8dd.jpg

I think the thread should have a build a SEF K3 challenge, tis the only way to lift the curse.

• Agree 2

K3s seem to be in vogue at the moment.

Here's a selection from LB's stud, arrived at (variously) by modifying Bachmann items, building an Anchorage kit or building a SE Finecast kit; the work of Rob Davey, Tony Geary, Alan Hammet and me. 

There's also a K5. 

For obvious reasons, the Bachmann ones are used the least. I used to have two more, which I modified, but they've been sold-on some time ago. 

K3s.jpg.b8e414beb08b78c1f244c96047bdbf12.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Theakerr said:

The Grimsby/LNER swan neck lamps continue to elude me.   Mallard provided me with a link (Thks) and there are a couple there that look pretty well the target, one from DCC concepts and one from Guagemaster.   Turns out that DCC concepts even though there web page shows the lamp in question they sold the manufacturing on the Guagemaster who in turn appear to have stopped making the one I want.  Will e-mail them in due course.  To address Mr Kings question the pictures I can find don't show anything really fancy but do have a rather distinctive style with a bulbous base and a lamp that hangs down a fair bit from the support.  I can compromise on the hanging down bit but I would rather like to get a bottom that looks sort of right.  A friend has suggested 3 D printing, so I will do a search on Shapeways and perhaps talk to my local maker person since I run my layout during the hours of daylight I don't want working lamps - See one of peeves a few posts ago. 

Gilbert Barnatt of Peterborough North may have a contact about lamps of that style.

Also, anything here you could adapt a bit? I bought some on Sunday last and the quality is very good. I think the prices are excellent considering the time it would take me to make such things. 

http://www.layouts4u.net/oo-scale-lighting/oo-scale-lampposts?a=1&page=2&dm=7&fsid=0&filterpost=OK

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Since we're on the subject of K3s, here is my slowly growing stud of N gauge versions of the class.

815091588_2425onNoEL.jpg.5111533da66adda1a016b1dd332844d9.jpg

K3/2 No. 2425 photographed by Tony a couple of years ago at Pickering  while I was on holiday (2425 was a guest loco on NoEL that day).

1269586967_K3-14004.jpeg.1ce08dfe033dcdf5604b304b37b0e728.jpeg

One of the original GNR batch, 4004. I've painted the lamp irons since this picture was taken.

20181206_120451(0).jpg.19ca6f4a1186ced04edd56bfac2b4e2c.jpg

The test print for K3 no. 91. This one will have a modified NER style cab and paired with an ex-GN tender.

I really like the K3 class and will probably build no. 4007 (the only ex-GN K3 that retained its GN tender and square buffer beam until at lease 1934) and no. 227 (with feed water heater) at some point. As you may have noticed, I like to show variations when I make multiple examples of a class of locomotive whenever possible.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I'm considering a tattoo on my chest. DNR unless it is truly worthwhile. Might seem like poor taste, however it states my wishes.

If anyone objects I shall remove this part immediately (no that is not another tattoo idea for another area).

Regarding K3s. I was able to purchase a really rather crude Finecast build in EM for £30 a few years ago. Ran fine but sounded like a bag of nails. The layout it ran on briefly was sold on ages ago and a friend now has it along with a V2 (same gauge and same price). Tony would have fainted if he had seen them, however they would have been fun to upgrade.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

58 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I think the thread should have a build a SEF K3 challenge, tis the only way to lift the curse.

My mate is working on it.

His  work in progress with a good bit of finer detailing still to add. South Eastern Finecast K3 chassis fully sprung to 18.83 mm gauge. 

P

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Here's a selection from LB's stud, arrived at (variously) by modifying Bachmann items, building an Anchorage kit or building a SE Finecast kit; the work of Rob Davey, Tony Geary, Alan Hammet and me. 

There's also a K5. 

For obvious reasons, the Bachmann ones are used the least. I used to have two more, which I modified, but they've been sold-on some time ago. 

I wonder what the collective noun is for a collection of a K3's, a variation of K3's?

29 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

His  work in progress with a good bit of finer detailing still to add. South Eastern Finecast K3 chassis fully sprung to 18.83 mm gauge. 

P

Hopefully my inherited K3 will be doing that, if I manage to reassemble it correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

There's also a K5. 

K3s.jpg.b8e414beb08b78c1f244c96047bdbf12.jpg

That's just rubbing it in!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

P

Beautiful. It's hard to beat working Walschaerts. (and if you're me it's very hard to make!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

P

There aren't enough oooooos in smooth to describe that! I wish that my P4 chassis worked as exquisitely.

• Agree 2

Decent K3s are hard to come by in O gauge. The only option is the Anchorage kit ( not scaled up from 4mm and think perhaps Falcon brass style in the days of hand drawn etches ) it needed some scratch building to get more accurate. There are multiple variations on detail. A sadly neglected class. I built the Proscale 4mm kit years ago, that was a similar battle!

P1000674a.jpg.80f3a66795c5765e70c4045fae2da206.jpg

Edited by dibateg
More info
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Until I've paid with solder to become an official member of the K3 owners club, I offer up a converted RTR example. It may be narrow gauge but at least you can't see the silly little stunted wheels from this angle (designed for dealing with stunted LMS vans) It looks like my loco build is mapped out for the coming spring/summer.

K3 2-6-0 1870.jpg

Edited by Headstock
resize image
  • Like 17

Thks Mallard for the link.  There are a couple there that have promise but I did come across one on Shapeways.  Problem is that it is HO although the dimensions look pretty close to what I am looking for.  When I can get onto Shapeways (long frustrating story that makes me long for the days when you phoned up and it was sorted) I will contact the owner because he also does them in 0 and see if he can do an 00.  It is a simple scalar function to re-size.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Clem,

it's glad to know that somebody else suffers from the curse of the K3's. At least I've made a start now. With the exception of the 13 ton hopper, once I get going I always finish. I shall also have that little hopper beastie finished by the end of the year. Tonight was spent cleaning the three compartment brake third, the K3 chassis will require a bit more elbow grease. Though protected, it has sat around for more years than I would have liked. Seeing Tony's example has spurred me in to action, no longer will it sit rather sadly in a cupboard also making  me feel  bad.

I made a complete hames of my attempt to build the Bradwell hopper, which ended up in the bin looking like some small, jagged modern sculpture with not a right angle to be seen.  Didn't pay attention to the instructions.  And it wasn't because I didn't realise how important they were.  After all, I worked to the letter of the instructions when building my Bradwell Consett hoppers and complex though they were they just fell together.  Over a significant number of hours, admittedly and with long-term scarring to the fingers. Ironically, given their state when operating, these are almost the only as-new wagons I have built.

1058980269_xxConsetthoppers06.jpg.be51423a1ad31326f0f9ab8de7156f07.jpg

Cerdit where it is due:  The bogies were a bit of a challenge, but luckily Ted Scannell got interested in them when he saw them, and he had them running like silk within about 10 minutes.  This is the man who, for fun, fitted working brakes to a 4mm open wagon.

Tone

B446035 06.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7