Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'm considering a tattoo on my chest. DNR unless it is truly worthwhile. Might seem like poor taste, however it states my wishes.

If anyone objects I shall remove this part immediately (no that is not another tattoo idea for another area).

Regarding K3s. I was able to purchase a really rather crude Finecast build in EM for £30 a few years ago. Ran fine but sounded like a bag of nails. The layout it ran on briefly was sold on ages ago and a friend now has it along with a V2 (same gauge and same price). Tony would have fainted if he had seen them, however they would have been fun to upgrade.

Phil

I will refrain from telling the Ludo/Llandudno joke.

• Thanks 3
  • Funny 3

46 minutes ago, Hollar said:

I made a complete hames of my attempt to build the Bradwell hopper, which ended up in the bin looking like some small, jagged modern sculpture with not a right angle to be seen.  Didn't pay attention to the instructions.  And it wasn't because I didn't realise how important they were.  After all, I worked to the letter of the instructions when building my Bradwell Consett hoppers and complex though they were they just fell together.  Over a significant number of hours, admittedly and with long-term scarring to the fingers. Ironically, given their state when operating, these are almost the only as-new wagons I have built.

1058980269_xxConsetthoppers06.jpg.be51423a1ad31326f0f9ab8de7156f07.jpg

Cerdit where it is due:  The bogies were a bit of a challenge, but luckily Ted Scannell got interested in them when he saw them, and he had them running like silk within about 10 minutes.  This is the man who, for fun, fitted working brakes to a 4mm open wagon.

Tone

B446035 06.jpg

I've only built 2 and 3/4 of the 13 ton hoppers, then gave up. The good news, I believe that Parkside have a much simpler plastic kit version in the works. I will probably have  bit of that. Your big beasties look mighty fine.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Hollar said:

I made a complete hames of my attempt to build the Bradwell hopper, which ended up in the bin looking like some small, jagged modern sculpture with not a right angle to be seen.  Didn't pay attention to the instructions.  And it wasn't because I didn't realise how important they were.  After all, I worked to the letter of the instructions when building my Bradwell Consett hoppers and complex though they were they just fell together.  Over a significant number of hours, admittedly and with long-term scarring to the fingers. Ironically, given their state when operating, these are almost the only as-new wagons I have built.

1058980269_xxConsetthoppers06.jpg.be51423a1ad31326f0f9ab8de7156f07.jpg

Cerdit where it is due:  The bogies were a bit of a challenge, but luckily Ted Scannell got interested in them when he saw them, and he had them running like silk within about 10 minutes.  This is the man who, for fun, fitted working brakes to a 4mm open wagon.

Tone

B446035 06.jpg

Very nice. 

I decided that the Bradwell hoppers were way beyond my skill level so I've gone for the Dave Alexander version for my two ore trains:

IMG_0160.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

12 hours ago, Headstock said:

Until I've paid with solder to become an official member of the K3 owners club, I offer up a converted RTR example. It may be narrow gauge but at least you can't see the silly little stunted wheels from this angle (designed for dealing with stunted LMS vans) It looks like my loco build is mapped out for the coming spring/summer.

K3 2-6-0 1870.jpg

That is an incredibly impressive shot, Andrew. It really gives the impression of size and distance But it's the carriages to the left which catch my eye. They just look ...... well...... real!

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Clem said:

That is an incredibly impressive shot, Andrew. It really gives the impression of size and distance But it's the carriages to the left which catch my eye. They just look ...... well...... real!

All it needs is a bus on that bridge...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

My home bashed K3.

image.png.7f883b5115416b7d1bd7c78db2399734.png

She has a cut down (rear section removed) Bachmann V2 body, slightly modified unpowered Bachmann V3 chassis, hand made dome, Hornby B17 motorised tender chassis and Bachmann V2 tender top, coupled together with a Hornby sprung loco - tender electrical coupling. Suitably weathered, she pulls the fish train on my main layout, and runs fine. Still a little filling in work needed on the cab front windows. I later bought a Bachmann K3 and was pleasantly surprised by how close my dogs breakfast was to the original.

I read recently that all remaining K3's were withdrawn during 1962, quite a few of them remaining by the start of 1962 - not a one steamed in 1963.  A few, all from 31B March shed I believe, were towed to Central Wagon at Ince Wigan for scrapping in 1963. They were 61817, 61880, 61886, 61890, 61915, 61942, 61954, and 61963. (source Requiem at Ince - Booklaw)

Nice looking locos with their fat boilers, unfortunately none were preserved.

Brit15

Brit15

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Those 'Consett' hoppers look ###### superb. I had a Bradwell kit once, thinking that the EM layout of Trafalgar Yard I had at the time might have a 'cripple' passing by/sidelined on route to a repair facility. I am sad to say that it was beyond me and I sold it on. I might just get a Parkside version and have a go as it will make a lovely display item reminding me of a few happy days in the Summers of 1961 and 1962 at Consett Station. If folk have not looked a a layot thread for Blackgill then please do so and see rakes of these in P4.

I have a wonderful DVD somewhere of the Tyne Dock Consett route in 9F and O1 days with a little bit of Class 37. Makes me wonder now why I never caught a bus from Consett to (say) somwehere on the long climbs; probably because I was a little oik and knew no better.

Happy days.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As the saying goes......................'And now for something completely different'

1820137066_DJHSemi01.jpg.3cfed14cf0f972281c58d760091fde53.jpg

1715651955_DJHSemi02.jpg.ac895f786682dfa8f7761f83a287f141.jpg

I started this DJH 'Princess Coronation' (always a 'Semi' to me!) last evening. It'll become 46245 CITY OF LONDON, in BR maroon. It ran on the ECML in 1963 on a special. That's almost four years after Little Bytham Station was closed and demolished, but Rule 1 will apply here (hypocrisy rules?). 

I built a model of one of these magnificent locomotives a few years ago now. It was a wedding present for a mate. It was his second marriage, and surprise seemed to be expressed in some quarters as to how appropriate a 'steam train model' might have been for a 'couple'. Since I'd known my mate for years, and his new wife for only months, I thought it was the right, personal choice. 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I started this DJH 'Princess Coronation' (always a 'Semi' to me!) last evening. It'll become 46245 CITY OF LONDON, in BR maroon. It ran on the ECML in 1963 on a special. That's almost four years after Little Bytham Station was closed and demolished, but Rule 1 will apply here (hypocrisy rules?). 

Excellent choice of Locomotive. 46245 City of London was my favourite Duchess during my 60s Spotting Days. I used to see her regularly as she passed through and occasionally stopping at Bletchley Station. 

Edited by Pannier Tank

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Those 'Consett' hoppers look ###### superb. I had a Bradwell kit once, ........ I might just get a Parkside version .....

A little confusion here, I think; Parkside do not produce a bogie Consett hopper.

What they do produce, (or are about to produce), is the BR 13T hopper, for which there was / is a Dave Bradwell etched kit.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

A little confusion here, I think; Parkside do not produce a bogie Consett hopper.

What they do produce, (or are about to produce), is the BR 13T hopper, for which there was / is a Dave Bradwell etched kit.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well that was a let down. I suppose the Bogie Hopper is a bit complex for plastic mouldings.

Thanks John.

Phil

7 hours ago, Chamby said:

All it needs is a bus on that bridge...

There is usually a bus on the bridge, I foget the number. I think I poked it off with a stick.

6 hours ago, APOLLO said:

My home bashed K3.

She has a cut down (rear section removed) Bachmann V2 body, slightly modified unpowered Bachmann V3 chassis, hand made dome, Hornby B17 motorised tender chassis and Bachmann V2 tender top, coupled together with a Hornby sprung loco - tender electrical coupling. Suitably weathered, she pulls the fish train on my main layout, and runs fine. Still a little filling in work needed on the cab front windows. I later bought a Bachmann K3 and was pleasantly surprised by how close my dogs breakfast was to the original.

I read recently that all remaining K3's were withdrawn during 1962, quite a few of them remaining by the start of 1962 - not a one steamed in 1963.  A few, all from 31B March shed I believe, were towed to Central Wagon at Ince Wigan for scrapping in 1963. They were 61817, 61880, 61886, 61890, 61915, 61942, 61954, and 61963. (source Requiem at Ince - Booklaw)

Nice looking locos with their fat boilers, unfortunately none were preserved.

Brit15

Brit15

Possibly the finest use of the Bachmann oversized V2 boiler that I have ever seen. Though, they apparently  make a rather good toilet roll dispenser.

Edited by Headstock
double they removed
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Well that was a let down. I suppose the Bogie Hopper is a bit complex for plastic mouldings.

Thanks John.

Phil

Sorry to disappoint Phil,

it's the BR 13 ton hopper. My unfinished, third Bradwell hopper is seen below, looking a bit worse for storage but not too much work to finish it off. All those laminated brass strengthening pieces make them quite time consuming if you require a few. You could probably knock of a ton of vac formed ones in a single evening.

13 ton hopper.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Good evening Tony and everyone.

Following the success of the water tank, I've been looking through books and magazines for some small structures to print in N gauge. Buildings such as platelayer's huts seem to be ideal and I found a drawings for an LNER concrete and GWR sleeper build ones. The GWR example is strange as the location of the door makes it just under 5' high - I always though the GWR had some strange ideas! :P

Anyway, here are some (badly taken and cruelly enlarged) photos of the test prints.

First the LNER version.

20190301_101750.jpg.d1012243f95e1f112bbcef90db6ee101.jpg

20190301_101816.jpg.724600812fc0bdd03352918e94df5228.jpg

Next, the GWR one.

20190301_101827.jpg.94049276a2012216f79f807f297713e0.jpg

20190301_101944.jpg.9b102fa6c022f4ede3df87a6a8fd1889.jpg

Unfortunately, my computer isn't powerful enough to render bricks beyond a chimney and/or a brick base. It looks like yet another upgrade to my computer is on the horizon.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

As the saying goes......................'And now for something completely different'

1820137066_DJHSemi01.jpg.3cfed14cf0f972281c58d760091fde53.jpg

1715651955_DJHSemi02.jpg.ac895f786682dfa8f7761f83a287f141.jpg

I built a model of one of these magnificent locomotives a few years ago now. It was a wedding present for a mate. It was his second marriage, and surprise seemed to be expressed in some quarters as to how appropriate a 'steam train model' might have been for a 'couple'. Since I'd known my mate for years, and his new wife for only months, I thought it was the right, personal choice. 

Really looking forward to seeing the build Tony, one suggestion though, grab a set of comet deflectors, the DJH ones are too small. Iain (92220) did this on his build of 46256 and it makes a big visual difference to the front end.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 01:26, Clem said:

I can, Andrew... a K3 -  such an massive omission from the preserved locomotive fleet. Then maybe a B16 :-).... ( I just want to live long enough to see and hear one again even though unlikely)

Peter Handford audio recordings include K3s and B16s.  The albums can be downloaded from the Transacord Digital website.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good evening Tony,

Just a quick post to prove that something is gradually happening with Hadley Wood!

1098623807_HadleyWoodLookingSouth1-3-19Small.jpg.29375ce4b778e026f0557342db8950ef.jpg

In view is every piece of track I've built to date - I think I need to up the pace a little! :o

Edited by Atso
  • Like 10

25 minutes ago, Atso said:

Good evening Tony,

Just a quick post to prove that something is gradually happening with Hadley Wood!

In view is every piece of track I've built to date - I think I need to up the pace a little! :o

Blimey, that looks a little old school. I was expecting Hadley wood to trundle of the printer complete with track, ballast, abutments , buildings, tunnels, bridges, trees and working signals. Mind you, I supose it would take twenty five years to print in little short sections.

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, coronach said:

Peter Handford audio recordings include K3s and B16s.  The albums can be downloaded from the Transacord Digital website.

Yes. I particularly like the K3s (61841 and 61842 if I remember correctly - the latter on the 'Great Central' album and the former on 'Trains in the Night' album) starting out from the slow line at Princes Risborough. You never hear that sort of effort and rhythm on preserved steam lines, welcome though they are. I think I've got most of the albums but I'll check the site out.