Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

10 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Blimey, that looks a little old school. I was expecting Hadley wood to trundle of the printer complete with track, ballast, abutments , buildings, tunnels, bridges, trees and working signals. Mind you, I supose it would take twenty five years to print in little short sections.

I think I'll take that as a compliment Andrew! ;) Contrary to popular belief, I'm not totally reliant on 3D printing and do enjoy wielding a soldering iron or solvent glue around from time to time - I've even been know to build the odd etched kit or twenty... :P I really like mixing the modern and 'traditional' modelling methods. One of things I get the most satisfaction out of is hand lining and I like the fact that each new model I make is generally slightly better than the last.

I'm toying with the idea of laser cutting the station, associated buildings and tunnel mouths (mainly because I don't like commercially available N gauge brick sheets as they are too coarse) and etching the windows. I'll need to go to Kew to find the building plans but I've got another 40 N gauge copper clad points to build for the fiddle yard first - I guess that'll keep me busy for awhile! I would have built some more this evening but I've found that my most recently supply of code 40 rail is flat bottom (I ordered bullhead) so I'm awaiting to hear back from the 2mm Association for advice on how to exchange it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Atso said:

I think I'll take that as a compliment Andrew! ;) Contrary to popular belief, I'm not totally reliant on 3D printing and do enjoy wielding a soldering iron or solvent glue around from time to time - I've even been know to build the odd etched kit or twenty... :P I really like mixing the modern and 'traditional' modelling methods. One of things I get the most satisfaction out of is hand lining and I like the fact that each new model I make is generally slightly better than the last.

I'm toying with the idea of laser cutting the station, associated buildings and tunnel mouths (mainly because I don't like commercially available N gauge brick sheets as they are too coarse) and etching the windows. I'll need to go to Kew to find the building plans but I've got another 40 N gauge copper clad points to build for the fiddle yard first - I guess that'll keep me busy for awhile! I would have built some more this evening but I've found that my most recently supply of code 40 rail is flat bottom (I ordered bullhead) so I'm awaiting to hear back from the 2mm Association for advice on how to exchange it.

It should not be too much of a problem to exchange the flat bottom, I made a 'Fat Finger' mistake ordering Easitrack sleeper sprues and got the ones for flat bottom rather than bullhead, exchanged without fuss, and progress continued...... slowly.

I built the scenic side points first, then with a change of plan due to better maps becoming available, I scrapped the lot ( all 21, a diamond and a single slip, and worked on the fiddle yard instead to sharpen up my skills.

Much better idea to keep my worst soldering out of view.

Regards

Ian

24 minutes ago, Atso said:

Most definitely a compliment, I shall be following progress intently. I'm sure there is much to learn from this 3d malarkey.

4 hours ago, Clem said:

' Evening all....

It's about time I posted something of what I have been doing, rather that what I feel bad about not doing...

So, I'm getting close to having a spring clean of the workshop as present projects are nearing an end. Just a 3 or 4 wagons to complete. 

I posted a picture of Colwick's last J5, 65498 just before Christmas. Here first, below, as you can see, she is very close to completion. Built once and painted twice having had an attack of the peel of the Donald Trumps.... The second photo shows her in the yard on a pick up. All the wagons in this train have been built or modified since Christmas. Just two are RTR - the second cattle wagon (Hornby) and the brake van right at the back (Bachmann). My plan is to make some progress on the layout itself next which, as you might be able to spot, is a long way off being presentable and the progress of which if you've followed previous posts, I've been promising for a couple of years now.

BTW the signal box is just a place holder. It's a card kit from about 38 years ago and is a little worse for wear.

... oh and a quick picture of my Bachmann K3 just to complete the K3 circle ... Have a good weekend, folks.

A lovely J5 Clem, my favorite GN 0-6-0.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m wondering if anybody can help me out, I just received a MailCoach Coronation set, from a friend through BRMA. 

The things is, it’s missing the Kitchen/Third (MC12). I have eveyrhing else and eveyrhing is there, I’m just missing MC12. Does anyone know where I could get one? 

I’ve heard Cooper Craft hasn’t got machines or something...?....

does anyone have a spare or anything? I’ll be happy to pay. 

cheers 

Jesse

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Atso said:

Good evening Tony,

Just a quick post to prove that something is gradually happening with Hadley Wood!

1098623807_HadleyWoodLookingSouth1-3-19Small.jpg.29375ce4b778e026f0557342db8950ef.jpg

In view is every piece of track I've built to date - I think I need to up the pace a little! :o

Paying the electricity bill wouldn't go amiss either, or is it a layout along the lines of "Dating in the dark"?!!!

Mike.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Paying the electricity bill wouldn't go amiss either, or is it a layout along the lines of "Dating in the dark"?!!!

Mike.

Well, I am building Hadley Wood while on extremely limited means Mike. I could pay the bills but then I'd only be able to photograph a brightly lit empty space! :laugh_mini:

Seriously though, I've got six directional spot lights in the room and it was late when I took the photos. The problem is convincing them to all point in the right direction to provide sufficient light for photography! I also used the flash on my phone which probably made things worse rather than better. I wouldn't use this method to light a room again.

Edited by Atso
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Headstock said:

Most definitely a compliment, I shall be following progress intently. I'm sure there is much to learn from this 3d malarkey.

Thanks Andrew. 3D printing is just another tool/option available to modellers. Like everything, it has its positive and negative points and isn't always the one stop solution some make it out to be (although I do rely on it more than maybe I should). Somebody suggested that I print lattice signal posts on it; while I could they wouldn't last five minutes as they would be far too fragile. They didn't seem happy when I said that etching would be the far superior method for something like that - why are people so anti soldering?

• Agree 1

On 25/02/2019 at 16:37, Tony Wright said:

The question of constructive criticism has arisen on the thread, and I have been quite 'critical' over the duration of the show. Certainly not to 'punish' anyone, but to offer some practical help. One chap I know brought along a DJH A1 he's building, asking me to 'look at it, please'. Which I did. He's now going to chuck the whole lot into a bath of paint stripper, come and visit me and we'll start again! Good on him - he took what I had to say about it right on the chin. 

Wow .....I'm not surprised  - I would hazard a guess that there are not many of 'the great and the good' (so to speak) who would offer such help.

Once a teacher always a teacher .... respect!

Edited by Lecorbusier
highlight
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Atso said:

Thanks Andrew. 3D printing is just another tool/option available to modellers. Like everything, it has its positive and negative points and isn't always the one stop solution some make it out to be (although I do rely on it more than maybe I should). Somebody suggested that I print lattice signal posts on it; while I could they wouldn't last five minutes as they would be far too fragile. They didn't seem happy when I said that etching would be the far superior method for something like that - why are people so anti soldering?

I quite agree.  Use the most appropriate method for the item you want to build.   Etching does allow some wonderful things to be made and the level of detail is very good.  However I have also used 3D printing for a part that I couldn't think of making any other way, namely the top casting for a sheerlegs that has three shoes underneath, all at different angles to take the timber legs.  As I can't do 3D drawing I drew them in 2D and then through a barter, a mate got his son to convert my drawings to 3D and print the result.   It worked very well.  However I looked at laser cutting some spandrels for my platform canopy but found that I couldn't get the level of detail that I needed so had an etch made that folded over itself to give it some thickness and they look great.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 02/03/2019 at 09:21, Lecorbusier said:

Wow .....I'm not surprised  - I would hazard a guess that there are not many of 'the great and the good' (so to speak) who would offer such help.

This is attached to the wrong post, it should be in reply to Atso's post on the previouse page.

Evening Steve,

Ignorance and fear mostly. Ignorance in that, counter to popular belief, soldering is not a very difficult thing to learn. It is harder to assemble a metal kit with glue, if you can do that .... Soldering is a doddle in comparison.

Fear, due to risk aversion. It is a fact that soldering is so hard that it could bring about the end of the world if you make a mistake. In comparison, I'm sure many ignorantly believe that 3d printing is so low risk that you couldn't possibly have anything go wrong under any circumstances. Even if you dabble in other black arts such as painting and you plaster your 3d prize in three inches of mud, you can always press a button and whistle up another one in jiffy. The common denominator, opinions lacking any practical experience.

Edited by Headstock
Attached to wrong post
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

19 hours ago, gazman424 said:

Hi All,

Firstly, it was very nice to finally shake your (wrong!) hand at the Glasgow show, but I clearly caught you in the middle of a tricky piece of assembly! I haven't had a great deal of modelling time, but thanks to an impinged shouler, then managing to kick the bottom of our very solid wooden bed, which resulted in a broken toe, I have an enforced period of 'recovery' which has allowed me to progress some long-standing projects.

First up, an ex-NBR Brake 3rd;

I have recently discovered it should be numbered 'SC330E', so that will require changed. All scratchbuilt, including the roof, buffers,bogies and various details, which are 3D printed.

Next, a scratchbuilt Toad E.  Why? Because I was looking at the price of wagons really and I was shocked to see how the price has risen, so as a personal challenge, I wanted to see how cheaply I could turn out wagons.

The only bought in parts are the wheels, bearings and buffer heads, with the body and underframe being assembled from laser cut card, and 3D details providing the rest. The couplings are my own design, etched by PPD, and are compatible with the B&B and DG types I was using.

Obviously, there is still a lot to do, including the really enjoyable handrails, but it has proved that my forthcoming stock needs can be supplied by these methods.

As you say, the satisfaction from finishing projects such as these far outweighs obtainting RTR, and is much cheaper also!

Keep up the fantastic work!

Gaz.

Good morning Gaz,

That's a cracking little carriage and BV. A question if I may, how was the beading on the carriage produced, was it a separate overlay, lots of separate bits or a combination?

On 02/03/2019 at 15:55, Jesse Sim said:

I’m wondering if anybody can help me out, I just received a MailCoach Coronation set, from a friend through BRMA. 

The things is, it’s missing the Kitchen/Third (MC12). I have eveyrhing else and eveyrhing is there, I’m just missing MC12. Does anyone know where I could get one? 

I’ve heard Cooper Craft hasn’t got machines or something...?....

does anyone have a spare or anything? I’ll be happy to pay. 

cheers 

Jesse

Hi Jesse,

You are right regarding the machines at Coopercraft.   I would start the 7 you have and try an find one as you have asked.  Someone may just have them.  Other than that can I suggest you find a couple of old Tri-ang Thompson coaches and make them up as close as possible so at least you have an 8 car set.  There is a fellow on Facebook who has done this.  Tom Hardcastle is on here too, I think.

I am building 6 of the Mailcoach Coronation set myself.  I do have the whole set.  Though have been busy for a few weeks. They are painted the two tone blue (Garter & Marlborough) and trying to complete the interiors and then I will line the windows and beading.  They run well even with the Mailcoach plastic bogies.

Hope this helps.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andrew,

The coach was designed to be built around my Emblaser 1 laser cutter. I used the 'Jenkinson' method, in that a robust inner box was constructed, to which the outer,detailed sides and ends are added.

The panelling was built up from layers, and I hope the drawing below, a screengrab from the relevant Coreldraw file, explains it.

I use 2 almost identical files, this one has the red 'score lines' for door openings etc, where as the 'cutting file' omits these.

188843505_NBRCoachlayers.jpg.2fc3a0cd994ac24e19117d12011c4740.jpg

The sides are cut from good quality card, nominally 0.3mm thick, which is as cheap as chips compared to plasticard. There was a learning curve, for me, about gluing these, as I was so used to working with plasticard. I use Permanent Spraymount for joining the large layers, and for detail work such as the bottom panelling, I use Roket (correct spelling!) card glue, applied to the rear edges with a cocktail stick.

The card takes paint well, especially after a coat of primer.

I hope this clarifies the matter a little, but please let me know if you require any more informtion.

Gaz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It was great to catch up with you yesterday at Preston show, Tony. I will bear in mind your offer about visiting Chateau Wright, if i can find some time later in the year. Also, i do hope that there were not too many grammatically incorrect speakers after myself!

• Thanks 1

,One of the potential issues with a prototype location is that many of the locos accumulated over the years were never, or at least hardly ever, seen there. I have recently disposed of a number of these. Others, I have to re-number and I've started the process.

The Bachmann Standard 5 was destined for Ebay, but, in fact, there were a couple on Tyneside in 1957. 73160/61 were sent new to work Newcastle-Carlisle services, but were too long for the turntable at Carlisle Canal, so went to Gateshead,  So I now can legitimately run mine, suitably re-numbered. I also replaced the tender crest with the early version  This should be right for the period, but the loco is so dirty on the photo I have, it may as well not have a tender transfer. These locos worked the Newcastle-Colchester as far as York, where a March B17 took over. What a great sight for the spotters.

61969 K3 is the only Heaton loco I could find with the GS flared tender, which it got in 1959. Most of the GS tenders of this type were on early build locos on the GN. Putting the 5MT and K3 together stretches the timescale, but at least they were both Tyneside locos. The first 2 coaches in the rake are ancient Kirk kits.

IMG_20190303_125525.jpg.693adeb48e79122eaddc43a37ddfa831.jpg

I know there is a tendency for those who can to think everyone else can and should, too. I don't wholly subscribe to this, but, unless you are going for a full weathering and/or re-paint, I would have thought basic renumbering was within most folks skill-set.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, rowanj said:

One of the potential issues with a prototype location is that many of the locos accumulated over the years were never, or at least hardly ever, seen there. I have recently disposed of a number of these. Others, I have to re-number and I've started the process.

The Bachmann Standard 5 was destined for Ebay, but, in fact, there were a couple on Tyneside in 1957. 73160/61 were sent new to work Newcastle-Carlisle services, but were too long for the turntable at Carlisle Canal, so went to Gateshead,  So I now can legitimately run mine, suitably re-numbered. I also replaced the tender crest with the early version  This should be right for the period, but the loco is so dirty on the photo I have, it may as well not have a tender transfer. These locos worked the Newcastle-Colchester as far as York, where a March B17 took over. What a great sight for the spotters.

61969 K3 is the only Heaton loco I could find with the GS flared tender, which it got in 1959. Most of the GS tenders of this type were on early build locos on the GN. Putting the 5MT and K3 together stretches the timescale, but at least they were both Tyneside locos. The first 2 coaches in the rake are ancient Kirk kits.

IMG_20190303_125525.jpg.693adeb48e79122eaddc43a37ddfa831.jpg

I know there is a tendency for those who can to think everyone else can and should too. I don't wholly subscribe to this, but, unless you are going for a full weathering and/or re-paint, I would have thought basic renumbering was within most folks skill-set.

Your doing something differently with your photography. whatever it is, it really brings out the detail and the quality in your modeling.

Now that the sun has come up on Tyneside you will have to weather down the rails a bit.

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 02/03/2019 at 06:31, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

At least he's shown us a picture of what he's making, Mike,

Over to you.

Good to see you at Stafford, by the way. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 02/03/2019 at 09:21, Lecorbusier said:

Thanks Tim,

Though it's hardly altruism.

In fact it's really two things. One, during the darkest days of my depression, one way out of it (physician heal thyself) was to help others in their modelling. In fact, those I helped actually helped me far more than they'll ever know. And, I only had one failure, which was as much my inability to teach as it was my 'pupil's' reluctance to learn. And, two, it's a (sort of) way of answering those recent 'critics'. I wonder how many of those who were the most-vituperative in response to my recent RM article (and to anyone's article which doesn't actually meet their expectations) have actually contributed in a helpful and creative way to our great hobby. Certainly, none has spoken to me personally (and I've now been at six shows since it was published). 

Speaking of shows (and criticism), Mo and I have not long returned from attending the Preston Show over the weekend. I'd like to thank Les and his team for putting on such a fine event and for looking after us so well. 

I took the opportunity to take pictures of three layouts............

1866205885_Cadiford01.jpg.b7e878a1667c6f8542d0057b868ddf10.jpg

Cadiford in OO.

With respect to the operators of this full-of-detail layout, I told them straight (constructive criticism?) that I did not agree with prominent, tension-lock couplings being left on locos, nor just using out-of-the-box stuff. They accepted this. Quite rightly, though, I was picked up by suggesting a barrier wagon between a loco and a petrol train should be fitted. Apparently (and I didn't know this) short-wheelbase tank wagons were never fitted! 

1148836253_LymebrookYard03.jpg.8e342dcfa6236f3231492545d7105da0.jpg

Lymebrook Yard in N.

366863671_UpperCwmtwych04.jpg.066260bdb00fa87d3f841b3fd027ba0d.jpg

And Upper Cwmtwych, also in N. 

As part of my demonstrating at the show, I actually got some constructive work completed...

1374545055_DJHSemi04.jpg.adeac7821e1569c9f2fddd70fc8b8f59.jpg

The fit of parts on this DJH Semi is absolutely first class.

Thanks to my fixing locos, and generous donations, Mo and I came back with well over £100.00 for CRUK. May I please thank all those who donated, particularly Daniel and Spencer? One chap, who I fixed N Gauge couplings for, said he'd return with a donation, but never did. I hope he just forgot, but he was an exhibitor. 

I wasn't able to fix everything - yet more split chassis which had literally split, a jammed-up, 'push-along' Lima Crab, a total mess of a build of a Comet Caprotti Black Five and an N Gauge diesel with a broken UJ. Other than those, happy punters..................

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lesson to oneself.....................

cobwebs.jpg.a2e8d46b9f632133f0a3b68e86085012.jpg

Before taking pictures of a layout, make sure the builders have removed any cobwebs first! Surely this should be a must-do task at an exhibition. 

These will take ages to Photoshop-out, and even then it probably won't be worth it.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I always take a brush for dusting with me to shows. One of the first tasks I do after setting the layout up along with track cleaning is check for dust and cobwebs.

Most important for a layout that spends more time stored then up and operational.

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Lesson to oneself.....................

[image removed to save space]

Before taking pictures of a layout, make sure the builders have removed any cobwebs first! Surely this should be a must-do task at an exhibition. 

These will take ages to Photoshop-out, and even then it probably won't be worth it.

A small vacuum cleaner should be part of any layout exhibitor's kit.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1