Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

34 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

This is my latest loco build. An old NuCast D2 that my father got for me on a trip to the UK in 1996. Its destined to run on my joint project with Gavin Thrum of a model of Spilsby in Lincolnshire although in our case we're assuming the town became more significant and required more trains than could be provided on a one engine in steam line.

The castings were quite pitted in places and needed a rub over with plastibond to fill the pits which then needed careful sanding back. The vacuum ejector pipe along the right hand valence was part of the casting but had a lot of flash on its upper surface leaving no gap under the footplate in many places. Attempts to scrape this out were futile so I had to remove it in its entirety and replace with brass rod. Its got a LRM chimney, safety valves and whistle and a left over LRM rectangular water filler from a  Stirling tender. I thought the smokebox for a saturated engine was about 1mm too short so added a layer of 40thou plasticard to the front. I have fitted a Graeme King resin J6 smokebox door to save having to cut a large hole for the one supplied in the kit which actually wasn't bad. I make the smokebox door handles from Gibson shoulderless handrail knobs as this is far cheaper than buying a set of 3 part smokebox handles. The knob to grab to open the smokebox door is also made from one of these handrail knobs to give definition rather than leave the molded knob. Boiler bands will be added from tape during painting.

The Class A tender supplied has been modified to match the one in Yeadon attached to 4388 which this model is to become. It has been fitted with a Comet 6"6 + 6"6' tender chassis.

One thing I noticed when working on the photos was that the bogie wheels have different size hubs. These are Markits 14mm 10 spoke bought together. I have several more of these so will need to search out another one hopefully with the slightly smaller hub as this looks better. Just goes to show how important it is to photograph models before they're finished.

My next challenge is to line this in red once its painted with either a bow pen or a Bob Moore lining pen - a skill I've yet to become to perfect. GIve me a green LNER loco to line any day!     

Andrew

Cor blimey, super sexy. It was well worth replacing the pipe along the valance and the other modifications.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

This is my latest loco build. An old NuCast D2 that my father got for me on a trip to the UK in 1996. Its destined to run on my joint project with Gavin Thrum of a model of Spilsby in Lincolnshire although in our case we're assuming the town became more significant and required more trains than could be provided on a one engine in steam line.

The castings were quite pitted in places and needed a rub over with plastibond to fill the pits which then needed careful sanding back. The vacuum ejector pipe along the right hand valence was part of the casting but had a lot of flash on its upper surface leaving no gap under the footplate in many places. Attempts to scrape this out were futile so I had to remove it in its entirety and replace with brass rod. Its got a LRM chimney, safety valves and whistle and a left over LRM rectangular water filler from a  Stirling tender. I thought the smokebox for a saturated engine was about 1mm too short so added a layer of 40thou plasticard to the front. I have fitted a Graeme King resin J6 smokebox door to save having to cut a large hole for the one supplied in the kit which actually wasn't bad. I make the smokebox door handles from Gibson shoulderless handrail knobs as this is far cheaper than buying a set of 3 part smokebox handles. The knob to grab to open the smokebox door is also made from one of these handrail knobs to give definition rather than leave the molded knob. Boiler bands will be added from tape during painting.

The Class A tender supplied has been modified to match the one in Yeadon attached to 4388 which this model is to become. It has been fitted with a Comet 6"6 + 6"6' tender chassis.

One thing I noticed when working on the photos was that the bogie wheels have different size hubs. These are Markits 14mm 10 spoke bought together. I have several more of these so will need to search out another one hopefully with the slightly smaller hub as this looks better. Just goes to show how important it is to photograph models before they're finished.

My next challenge is to line this in red once its painted with either a bow pen or a Bob Moore lining pen - a skill I've yet to become to perfect. GIve me a green LNER loco to line any day!     

Andrew

IMG_9547 ps smaller.jpg

IMG_9551 ps smaller.jpg

That's beautiful work, Andrew,

Thanks for showing it to all of us.

The D2 I built was from an LRM kit (a wonderful product), and its build featured in my book from Crowood. 

323572808_LRMD237painted.jpg.f42e57b53a80c93138408460c4b46922.jpg

1212642025_LRMD238painted.jpg.a4d7bf0eb50f59dccdc9066a6cc71172.jpg

Ian Rathbone painted this; I have neither the courage nor the ability to produce a finish to this standard, so hats off to you for doing it yourself. I can't remember which bogie wheels I used, but they're not Markits.

920599394_LRMD241inservice.jpg.92e07994f67a7b35386720784b606170.jpg

It was actually built for Mark Allot, and sees regular service on Grantham. Where's the light engine lamp!?

I'm a great fan of London Road Models' kits; they're very well-designed (apart from the frames/motion of the K2), go together well (the K2 will, with modification) and the majority of the types are unlikely to be considered by the RTR boys/girls (but who knows?). 

I think the GNR 4-4-0s are pretty little things, and last year I built a D3 from London Road for service on the MR/M&GNR bit of LB. 

1395007928_D310onlayout.jpg.ebda5f6e0fcd4cd163aa4dff8eed22de.jpg

440605808_D312onlayout.jpg.6d32b6d36918d84d3790a2f3e5dda15b.jpg

Geoff Haynes painted this one. The stock in the second shot is rather incongruous with the loco (in fact it's an impossible combination with that leading car in maroon), but it makes a nice picture, especially with Tony Gee's wonderful signals in view.

It's just conceivable that I saw an ex-GNR 4-4-0 in service as a 'pushchair' enthusiast, though I have no memory. 

Isn't all of this much more interesting that discussing the tenets of grammar?

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
because I don't know the difference between a D2 and a D3!!!!!!!!
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Because of my attendances at so many (marvellous) shows since the start of the year, my actual modelling output has slowed since building an A3 and V2 after Christmas and finishing off the odd project started by another. 

Thus, with no show to attend this weekend, I've completed yet another 'layout' carriage today....................

This is an ex-LMS Dia. 1791 Composite 'built' using an ancient Airfix donor and Comet sides/detailing bits. The painting is Halfords acrylic Burgundy red, and the lining is by Replica. The ends, underframe, bogies and roof are all brush-painted/weathered with enamels. 

There are several compromises, and it's definitely part of a 'layout train', for which it suits the purpose quite well. 

Not a big job at all, and certainly well within the capabilities of the beginner/inexperienced. The cost, too, is quite modest, and one gets a unique coach.

It should not really be compared with some of the recent examples of rolling stock posted on here.  

It's even got passengers! 

Good morning Tony,

I much prefer the look of the LM PII carriages to the later PIII types. One tiny thing though, didn't dia. 1791 have a canvas roof with a curved rainstrip running the length of the carriage?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Tony,

I much prefer the look of the LM PII carriages to the later PIII types. One tiny thing though, didn't dia. 1791 have a canvas roof with a curved rainstrip running the length of the carriage?

Good morning Andrew,

Well-spotted. As I said, there are several (too many) compromises, and the roof (which is detachable) will be replaced with a more-appropriate type in due course.

I think its comments like yours which make this thread so appealing. Constructive criticism, based on observation and knowledge. Many thanks. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Geoff Haynes painted this one. The stock in the second shot is rather incongruous with the loco (in fact it's an impossible combination with that leading car in maroon), but it makes a nice picture, especially with Tony Gee's wonderful signals in view.

It's just conceivable that I saw an ex-GNR 4-4-0 in service as a 'pushchair' enthusiast, though I have no memory. 

Isn't all of this much more interesting that discussing the tenets of grammar?

Regards,

Tony.  

I'm sure that the LMS used maroon after the war but it could also represent crimson lake.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I'm sure that the LMS used maroon after the war but it could also represent crimson lake.

According to David Jenkinson the colour never changed, Midland railway crimson lake is the same as BR maroon.  In one of his magazine articles on railway colours he recalled a gent at the National Railway Museum saying to his wife how the Compound in crimson lake looked better than the Western in maroon. Both locos had been painted at the same time with the same batch of paint.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

According to David Jenkinson the colour never changed, Midland railway crimson lake is the same as BR maroon.  In one of his magazine articles on railway colours he recalled a gent at the National Railway Museum saying to his wife how the Compound in crimson lake looked better than the Western in maroon. Both locos had been painted at the same time with the same batch of paint.

Morning Clive,

yes, I believe that crimson lake and BR maroon are the same colour. However, I'm sure that the LM used a different darker colour (Maroon) during and after the war, due to the lack of supply of crimson lake. In the similar fashion, the LNER swapped from red oxide to bauxite for fitted wagons during the war, this colour is believed to be identical to the bauxite used by BR and not to be confused with the darkish brown of LMS

bauxite.

Edited by Headstock
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was promted to dig around in a few boxes and found this dia. 179, built by my late Father, I did the painting, originaly in crimson and cream and then a repaint into LM crimaroon. It is a complete Comet kit.

LMS PII CK.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The same paint was supplied by the same manufacturer all through, to the Midland Railway, LMS and British Railways. What changed over time was the primer, the method of painting and the varnish on top but the paint colour never changed.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Square pegs, round holes.

Regrettably British industry is riddled with them.

What happened to apprenticeships and relevancy?

Mike.

I also have a B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering but have often thought I learned most in the sandwich year of my degree. Here, I was employed as an apprentice (which I wanted to be) in the laboratory of a heavy engineering firm, so gained experience of machining and metalworking from those who'd followed the BTec route.

In particular, I was taught a great deal about a work ethic by the most junior technician (whose older brother led one of the lab teams) among the 15-20 staff.  That was just over 25 years ago; I looked at the company website this week and found his face is the one now used in images promoting their R&D facility.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Nothing atrocious, Dave, just a typo or two.

Different 'from' is correct usage, so your wife was right..................

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. Speaking of 'correcting' English, I've not long ago received an e-mail (from a professional journalist) which is written along the lines of 'I hope you're good' (in enquiring about my health) and 'I'm sorry it's took me  so long to get back to you' by way of an apology.  

When did English grammar cease to be taught in schools, I wonder? After I left the profession, I'm sure (though I principally taught art). 

It certainly wasn't being taught formally when I went to Grammar School in 1966; we were taught grammar in Latin, Welsh and French, however.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

It certainly wasn't being taught formally when I went to Grammar School in 1966; we were taught grammar in Latin, Welsh and French, however.

It was certainly being taught at Wallsend Grammar in 1966, when I sat the compulsory "O" Level. What was interesting , thinking back, was how many otherwise highly intelligent students struggled to follow the grammatical rules, particularly use of punctuation and conjugation. They found it as mystifying as I was finding Physics, Chemistry (and Art).

Whether it helped me with railway modelling is quite another matter. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I do hope more people have a go at doing these coach conversions using sides and RTR 'bases'. Long ago, after reading a TW article about creating unavailable coaches (Gresley) using sides, I got hooked. My problem is getting the things finished for myself but I have done a few for others, however they had to do the lining and lettering (if required). I am looking forward to making some Dapol Staniers look 'different' by using Comet sides when I feel inspired enough. The Late Geoff Brewin was just developing some combination kits using these kits and his sides when he died (too early RIP) and he had compiled some good notes describing which sides could be used with which kit and identifying existing Comet parts that could be used to enhance the all too simple under-frames.

Phil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I found a part finished Mark 1 Booth Car last weekend, I need to finish it then realise completely unsuitable as I bought the sides by accident (wanted Bar Car)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

I found a part finished Mark 1 Booth Car last weekend, I need to finish it then realise completely unsuitable as I bought the sides by accident (wanted Bar Car)

I might have a  part completed Bar Car. Would you like me to see if it is this coach? It was a test build by Geoff Brewin from the original etch.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I might have a  part completed Bar Car. Would you like me to see if it is this coach? It was a test build by Geoff Brewin from the original etch.

Phil

I already have the Bar car, running in a rake of 2D aircons. 1883 and 1106 are very similar style, but I have no information about 1106 visiting the Western Region (I saw 1883 in Gloucester twice)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as the perceived colour of crimson lake is concerned, the lining makes a big difference. When painting models of Midland engines it is apparent that after the lining is applied the crimson lake seems to be quite a different, richer, colour from  that which was first sprayed on. I noticed the same effect in Tyseley Works when 6229 was being painted after the streamlined casing had been fitted.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Informative/Useful 3

I am starting to build 'coach conversions' using etched sides on donor bodies as discussed by Mallard60022 and would like to read the TW article mentioned which dates back to 2006.  I have considered/tried the obvious sources with no success, so would welcome any help that readers could offer to find a copy. Thanks.

Tom

• Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, LMS29 said:

I am starting to build 'coach conversions' using etched sides on donor bodies as discussed by Mallard60022 and would like to read the TW article mentioned which dates back to 2006.  I have considered/tried the obvious sources with no success, so would welcome any help that readers could offer to find a copy. Thanks.

Tom

Hello Tom

I would also be interested in this article. 

Regards

Peter

1 hour ago, LMS29 said:

Tom

Tom and Peter,  I  wonder if Tony may be able to put you in contact  with the someone from the mag in question who can get you a back copy via his contacts? Failing that,  five or six years ago, I got rid of a whole pile of modelling magazines (space issue), simply because I could never read them as there were so many and I didn't know what was where. But before I got rid of them, I went through them and scanned any interesting articles in and now they're much more accessible. The Tony Wright coach conversion article is one I have scanned and saved. If you like I can send you a copy of the scan (pdf). The scans are not as good as turning the actual pages but they are easily located. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it was a BRM 'Annual' type of book? There is also some stuff on one of those DVDs Tony did. That was about modifying/detailing/converting RTR stuff IIC?

I think I have both these items but the last time I offered to loan something on here the person never responded and another time a DVD came back scratched, so I don't do that any more....sorry.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

BRM 2015 Annual.  The article is 12 pages and titled 'Not quite in a Trice' 

I have a copy and can scan if required.

Ah yes, 't'was the Gresleys was it not? Thompsons on the DVD I think. Well remembered CPB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1