Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

"Interesting that Markits have turned up in the recent discussion. I am looking for replacement bits for a J72 I am detailing. I need new tank fillers and safety valves. I thought that Markits might have the right or similar fittings. However their website hasn't been updated and I can't find a catalog of things they make . If any one has a list of Markit items I would appreciate a PM. That way I would place an order as for us lot living on the other side of the earth we do purchase a lot sight unseen. Even better if there were photos. " DougN

A flood of responses.  Just sent an email before reading down the page.

Mark

Thanks every one, Markits don't seem to have the bits I am looking for. My search will continue. I had looked through the website but once I saw Michael's response I did a search on "catalog" and that appeared thanks to google. JRG suggested I also contact Arthur Kimber for his J73 castings which will solve the items I am looking for. So thanks to all who responded I will now contact Arthur. You never know it may encourage me to another loco kit. But I promised myself to finish more of the kits I have already started! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I, for one, would be a keen customer for an OPC-style 'An Illustrated History of British Railways' Road Vehicles";

You'll be aware of these?  Probably the same book with a different cover. Not definitive but a start.

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/robert-berry/british-railways-road-vehicles-1948-1968-nostalgia-road/GOR002695033?keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2KSyv4CM4QIV6LDtCh0YbwUgEAQYAyABEgLtB_D_BwE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Railways-Road-Vehicles-1948-1968-by-Robert-Berry-Bill-Aldridge-Alan-Ea-/392250757073?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

http://www.crecy.co.uk/nostalgia-road-publications

Not just railway vehicles, the Nostalgia Road series is packed with interesting titles, most of the pictures in the road vehicle based books are from the past, and as such help modellers with background details too, road signs, shop frontages etc etc.

Mike.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

I am sure you must be aware that there are hundreds of threads on this forum posted by modellers, building from kits and scratch-building, Perhaps you should take a look.

I do look from time to time, though not at every one. 

My question was is this the most popular thread? It matters not a jot if it isn't, but I'm just intrigued.

Regards,

Tony. 

11 hours ago, uax6 said:

Tony,

It's interesting to see how people test their builds and its quite lucky that the w/metal on the tender chassis is weighty enough to keep itself on the rails pulling that load....

I'm now going to be picky..... Can you do something about that signal base please? It sticks out like a sore thumb! I'm sure the real S&T would love a lovely flat base at the bottom of their posts, but in the real world it really doesn't happen (except on platforms). Its something that I find jars on quite a lot of the best layouts....

Andy G

You're quite right, Andy,

Point taken.

However, because of the relatively high rate of failure of the Viessman signal motors, Graham Nicholas is investigating a means of stopping them frying themselves. Until that situation is resolved, the signals (out of necessity) need to be able to be removed with ease, with no encumbrances like scenic dressings over their bases in the way. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I do look from time to time, though not at every one. 

My question was is this the most popular thread? It matters not a jot if it isn't, but I'm just intrigued.

Regards,

Tony. 

No, of course one has to be selective; but reading your whole post would seem to suggest that only those that post on this thread make anything! Which of course would be wrong...

For myself, I rarely browse beyond the active threads in the modelling zone, and relatively few of the sub-forums therein.

• Agree 1

With all this talk of road vehicles on layouts, I thought I'd better illustrate a few of those to be found on LB. I've deliberately put more out than normal (even today, Station Road is not that busy). 

I'd be interested in any observations, please..............

1075000646_roadvehicles01StationRdBridge.jpg.8a55e6e1428f52e6cd3fe89518a7cafb.jpg

I have no idea what this little truck might be, nor its origins, other than it came from the late Gerald Scarborough's collection, and is built from a white metal kit. Where's the driver? 

As for the cyclist, I've no idea of his origins nor that of his velocipede. 

319660689_roadvehicles02goodsshed.jpg.ae7289d35baeb16c7dd4e5b862b1b732.jpg

The 'rogue' vehicle (the SR-allocated whatnot) is seen to the right, destined (soon) for a more appropriate home. It's RTR (if that makes sense). 

The 'flight of fancy' to the left was presented to me by friend Ray Chessum. I know there used to be 'Wright's coal tar soap', but I didn't know they used to collect the raw material! 

463413220_roadvehicles03entrancetogoodsyard.jpg.4352a8cd3e583fcb2dc22ed6cce9aa2e.jpg

This BR lorry was built from a white metal kit, but the builder and origins of it are unknown to me. 

1258923364_roadvehicles04StationRoad.jpg.9ecdec9d6d8bb5633a8fa331f9b990b4.jpg

Elder son Tom made this little van on the right from a Dalton Models' kit.

The dustcart was made for me by another friend. 

The bus in the background is highly-suspect, but at least it isn't on a bridge! 

1279671525_roadvehicles05bytheWilloughby.jpg.fd678b6a19608d6120ecd7895e038086.jpg

The Laycock's oil tanker was made by the late Dave Shakespeare from a plastic kit for his Tetley's Mills, and I keep it as a memento (though those front wheels look a bit dodgy!). 

What the other (nearer) vehicles are, I have no idea. 

665192823_roadvehicles06limestoneloadingdock.jpg.62f7df9a50e9ddcc9638b03dcd334463.jpg

This is an RTR Thames 'Trader, about to dump a load of limestone into the waiting wagons. The small 'limestones' (rubble from the local quarries), were used as a flux in the iron and steel industries further north and east. When full, the wagons were picked-up and taken to Grantham for marshalling into longer trains. 

562682594_roadvehicles07GrimsthorpeLane.jpg.221ae842b7b00a65e06ffd3131341870.jpg

This is a plaster Land Rover from years ago - made and painted by elder son Tom. 

One thing I hope which is noted is that all these vehicles have been weathered to one degree or another (apart from the one going). One thing I find strange is a railway scene in model form, with everything nicely weathered. Except for the road vehicles - all shining new! 

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

No, of course one has to be selective; but reading your whole post would seem to suggest that only those that post on this thread make anything! Which of course would be wrong...

For myself, I rarely browse beyond the active threads in the modelling zone, and relatively few of the sub-forums therein.

If that's the impression I gave, then I need to tighten up on my use of English. I loath ambiguity in writing, especially mine. Thus, my apologies.

Regards,

Tony. 

I've just spent a most enjoyable day in the company of Gilbert Barnatt with his Peterborough North. 

I confirmed that a decoder had failed in a kit-built A5 (the chassis did not have a short, and the motor was fine), fixed a rod back on a kit-built D16/3 (one side had just fallen off!) and made new couplings for a pair of Sleeping Cars (because the originals were made of far-too-thick brass wire and just derailed the cars on bends). The locos were built by the late Norman Wissenden (or to his order) and the Sleeping Cars by Andy Sparkes. All were very nice-looking models, but the 'hostage to fortune' situation was apparent. 

After a rather good lunch (thanks for your hospitality, Gilbert), attention was turned to photography. Those familiar with Peterborough North will know the problems Gilbert faces when shooting contre-jour. There are large windows on one side of the room and, even with the blinds drawn, the natural light just causes as silhouette effect on the models when pointing the camera towards the light. I suggested strong fill-in flashes from a powerful (Metz CT60) flash gun, fired independently of the camera.498773807_C1201.jpg.3bb6a4a5b9e9d54c2ab2d5e2102f1d7e.jpg

This shot was taken towards the light, with the room lights on. The exposure was some 15 seconds at F32, with five/six pulses of flash set at F8. Without the fill-in flash, this side of the loco would be just be 'ink'. 

1860127381_C1202.jpg.8c38ef3cf6b0ddb5d537ed06d3cf04dd.jpg

A second shot was taken, but this time with the room lights off, and the blinds open (a much shorter exposure). The effect is too harsh (though there's detail this side brought out by the flash), and the paint finish has been cruelly highlighted. 

It was decided that the blinds were better drawn, and the room lights used. The shot below had an exposure of some 15 seconds at F32, with several pulses of fill-in flash set at F5.6. 

1627216367_9Fonparcels01.jpg.3c0e69e06151e4feb571bfe4f6f94a82.jpg

398107995_9Fonparcels02.jpg.15acd0f8477cbf73a53bb4655fcf4593.jpg

A similar shot as the other one of the 9F, but this time with the exposure decreased, but the power of the flashes increased. I can't decide which is the better. In fact, they're very similar. 

Clearly, more experimentation is required. Gilbert tried similar shots with his camera, and, I hope, will post the results on his own Peterborough North thread. I'll put these on there as well.

The strong back-lighting will always cause a little burn-out around some edges. I don't know which programme Gilbert uses, but it tends to give the effect of nibbling away at signals at times. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

If that's the impression I gave, then I need to tighten up on my use of English. I loath ambiguity in writing, especially mine. Thus, my apologies.

Regards,

Tony. 

No apology required, clarification is sufficient! 

Referring to the last two pics, the first I think has the better colour, and deeper shadows too.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2019 at 12:59, cctransuk said:

Tony,

If Clive can provide correct ER fleet numbers (and registration number?), I will provide the transfers !!

On the other hand, you may say "Look at my face - do I care" ?; (...no, probably not) ! :o

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John

A BIG THANK YOU to Merfyn, he has supplied me with his list of BR road motors. Here are four Karrier Bantam mechanical horses allocated to the Eastern Region.

Reg No                     Fleet Number

WLD702                   KR6304E

WLD708                   KR6302E

WLD709                   KR6303E

WLD714                   KR6305E

They were all introduced in 1959 which is past Tony's modelling date.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

A BIG THANK YOU to Merfyn, he has supplied me with his list of BR road motors. Here are four Karrier Bantam mechanical horses allocated to the Eastern Region.

Reg No                     Fleet Number

WLD702                   KR6304E

WLD708                   KR6302E

WLD709                   KR6303E

WLD714                   KR6305E

They were all introduced in 1959 which is past Tony's modelling date.

So - I take it that Tony's Bantam will be moving to pastures new, so no transfers required this time.

Regards,

John.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

So - I take it that Tony's Bantam will be moving to pastures new, so no transfers required this time.

Regards,

John.

It's very kind of you John,

But it looks like not.

Actually, from time to time, Little Bytham's 'strict' date-representation of the summer of 1958 is relaxed. In fact, on the MR/M&GNR it's a decade (the line's last one) which is reproduced!

From time to time on the main line, I run the prototype Deltic (introduced to the ECML in February 1959), a couple of A3s with German blinkers (1961) and a few production Deltics (1961). 

I suppose Rule 1 applies in this case.

That little Bantam is a pretty model, but (even with the right number and right time period) I doubt if its kind was ever seen at Little Bytham.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

That little Bantam is a pretty model, but (even with the right number and right time period) I doubt if its kind was ever seen at Little Bytham.

Tony,

If you're prepared to stretch the timescale, it would make an interesting load for a couple of LOWMACs.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

made new couplings for a pair of Sleeping Cars (because the originals were made of far-too-thick brass wire and just derailed the cars on bends). The locos were built by the late Norman Wissenden (or to his order) and the Sleeping Cars by Andy Sparkes.

Tony,

I'm interested in your diagnosis of far-too-thick brass wire for the couplings. I generally use 0.9mm brass wire for 'hook and goalpost' couplings in my fixed rakes with no problem, and this is what I used on Gilbert's sleeping cars. I admit, we had some problems with derailments when I delivered them, but I thought we'd sorted it before I went by easing out the gap between coaches. What diameter wire do you use? 

Regards

Andy

7 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

I'm interested in your diagnosis of far-too-thick brass wire for the couplings. I generally use 0.9mm brass wire for 'hook and goalpost' couplings in my fixed rakes with no problem, and this is what I used on Gilbert's sleeping cars. I admit, we had some problems with derailments when I delivered them, but I thought we'd sorted it before I went by easing out the gap between coaches. What diameter wire do you use? 

Regards

Andy

Half that, Andy, .45mm.

The problem with using 0.9mm wire is that it isn't flexible enough, especially when it's being asked to couple up to bogie-fitted tension-locks on adjacent cars. There were just too many derailments yesterday, all over the place with your Sleepers (very nice carriages, by the way). 

A central problem, of course, on PN is the mish-mash of couplings, most of which are incompatible. Until all the couplings are standardised (which won't happen?), then the likely result will be running difficulties and trains dividing. 

Regards,

Tony.  

I've just spent a most wonderful day in the company of four friends, who came up from the South to see Little Bytham.

They're basically the team which keeps the late Doug Williams' EM Gauge Metropolitan Junction going.

1466709095_MetropolitanJunction10.jpg.31532c50b9e83dbe28125b18716a4374.jpg

In many ways, though not so well-known, Doug's work was as pioneering as that of Peter Denny and Frank Dyer. 

They brought with them some exceptional models. 

M7.jpg.b335af7805ce0b88223f3cd0f66eeea1.jpg

This beautiful M7 is the work of Richard Stevenson, scratch-built in EM. Originally built in 1963 (as a first attempt at scratch-building), it now has a new chassis, complete with Sharman wheels and a Portescap motor. 

By judiciously propping one side up, I was able to take its picture on LB. 

S11.jpg.d34573f6d81d6db7d1a6ea200bc8564b.jpg

Another of Richard's scratch-built locos, an S11. It proved impossible to prop this loco up on OO track, so a length of EM track was temporarily laid on LB. 

A1.jpg.09dd2219bfa94b0cc55d4bada536765e.jpg

One of Doug Williams' original scratch-built locos for Metropolitan Junction, a Gresley A1. Richard has worked on the chassis of this.

Next came two locos built by Andy Avis (Brightspark on RMweb). 

1628319443_BRStandard73XXX.jpg.c49b5a665c8c9660a0984bc6f528304c.jpg

He built this BR Standard Five from a DJH kit, scratch-building a chassis for it. It was made for the RMweb loco challenge (coming fifth in the competition)

1608234551_BRStandard76XXX.jpg.9ca78866f335402e17bc8004a71c2db7.jpg

He made this BR 76XXX using a Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol kit, mounting it on a Branchlines set of frames. 

I'm sure the two builders will give us more information when they see these. 

Aren't these lovely locos? The product of great skill, craftsmanship and self-reliance. My most heartfelt thanks for bringing them, my friends. 

Once again, thank you for your splendid company, your hospitality at lunchtime and your most-generous donations to CRUK. 

Sticklers for accuracy will be pleased to know that that BR Bantam truck has now gone to a 'proper' home. It'll be placed on a layout representing part of the SR. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3