Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Out of interest, and by way of a big 'thank you' to all who've contributed in one form or another so far this year, the monies collected for CRUK already are close to £2,00.00. And we're still only in March! 

Perhaps you might want to add proofreading after this missive.  Good to see a mistake now and then!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

52 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello to all Write Righters, should you be attending the London Festival of Railway modelling in Alexandra Palace, London, this coming weekend? Please can you say "Hello" as you walk past my little layout Pig Lane (Western Region) . It would be very nice to put faces to the the names who converse on this thread.

I'll be there on the Sunday, Clive,

I'll pop and say 'Hello'. 

Have I seen Pig Lane, I wonder? I look forward to it.

Regards,

Tony. 

Just now, Bob Reid said:

Perhaps you might want to add proofreading after this missive.  Good to see a mistake now and then!

Thanks Bob,

Well-spotted,

Ah, but that's sums, not English (though it was rather clumsy of me, I admit).

My excuse? I've just had new specs today, and I'm getting used to them. I need to - having punctured my forehead this afternoon bending down underneath the layout and misjudging the distance to a bearer. Thus, two excuses; one, new glasses (to get used to) and, two; concussion! I can't think of any more right now, but I'll sleep on it. 

Seriously, though; the generosity of folk making donations to CRUK already this year (nearly two thousand pounds - that's better!) needs to be acknowledged. Those donations have come from my fixing locos (both here and at shows), the handing over of cash because folk 'liked' the LB DVD, the giving of model railway items for Mo and me to sell and from monies when visitors come to see Little Bytham. 

Thank you all.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello to all Write Righters, should you be attending the London Festival of Railway modelling in Alexandra Palace, London, this coming weekend? Please can you say "Hello" as you walk past my little layout Pig Lane (Western Region) . It would be very nice to put faces to the the names who converse on this thread

I shall be on the DEMU stand on Saturday 

Arun

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'll be there on the Sunday, Clive,

I'll pop and say 'Hello'. 

Have I seen Pig Lane, I wonder? I look forward to it.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony,

It is a very small depot layout. It was folded up under the concourse end of Sheffield Exchange, so you may or not noticed it. It is its second real outing.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello to all Write Righters, should you be attending the London Festival of Railway modelling in Alexandra Palace, London, this coming weekend? Please can you say "Hello" as you walk past my little layout Pig Lane (Western Region) . It would be very nice to put faces to the the names who converse on this thread.

I will hopefully be there to check your Bedfordian passport.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I will be present with the RT Models trade stand over the weekend.

i will see if I get a chance to look around over the weekend.

• Like 1

Help.  Does the seam across the water scoop dome and the top plate on the Bachmann B1 Group standard tender -short coal space - really exist or is it a moulding artefact?  I am trying to do a 'proper version' of Mayflower and I cannot find a good picture of the tender rear end.

4 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Help.  Does the seam across the water scoop dome and the top plate on the Bachmann B1 Group standard tender -short coal space - really exist or is it a moulding artefact?  I am trying to do a 'proper version' of Mayflower and I cannot find a good picture of the tender rear end.

The seam was there in real life. Whether it was as prominent on the actual tenders as on the model is a matter of interpretation, for it must have varied.

It was as a result of the rear coal division plate being moved forwards in the mid-/late-'50s on the Group Standard LNER 4,200 gallon tenders. The original plates (I believe) were just flame-cut through and new ones installed further forward, not bridging the pick-up dome. I think the reason was so that coal did not spill into the water-filling area, as it must have done initially, though I haven't checked in the relevant books. 

It's a detail which makes many models wrong. I know! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Here is my LNER Department train so far, the Dolphin wagon is a Cambrian Models BR sturgeon I am back dating to what they were based on. The flat wagon is just filling in for another Dolphin on the workbench, a G1 NER Van, a GNR ECJS Luggage Brake (now a Department vehicle) and a NER Birdcage. The idea will be it’s based at York, it will be heading home through Brighton Junction. 

2C0B779A-7595-4977-B450-68AC6CC1DDEE.jpeg

072AB8C3-E5AD-4CF3-98F8-6E794E8F2196.jpeg

Wonderful stuff, Jesse,

Real modelling indeed! 

Thanks for posting.

Nice to see the picture of your A4 in full flight on LB still in place. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Wonderful stuff, Jesse,

Real modeling indeed! 

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tony. 

Cheers Tony, I now know the feeling of looking at something and going “wow I made that”. Apart from the J11 and the Shapeways Brake, which in fact is missing a buffer.... couldn’t find it in the box. 

I’m so glad I got it blown up, really shows how amazing LB is. Some damn good photography too! 

Jesse 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Wonderful stuff, Jesse,

Real modeling indeed! 

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tony. 

Also, isn’t ‘modelling’ meant to have two L’s Tony? 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Having had a most-fruitful meeting today, I've leaned some interesting things.; the principal item being that a command of English/grammar/punctuation are not prerequisites for being a (writing) journalist. 

A good 'story' takes precedence. I would have thought both elements were essential, but what do I know? 

Interesting. 

Trying a new angle ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Here is my LNER Department train so far, the Dolphin wagon is a Cambrian Models BR sturgeon I am back dating to what they were based on. The flat wagon is just filling in for another Dolphin on the workbench, a G1 NER Van, a GNR ECJS Luggage Brake (now a Department vehicle) and a NER Birdcage. The idea will be it’s based at York, it will be heading home through Brighton Junction. 

The train is looking great - but what caught my eye was the eclectic mix of Mad Max next to Toby the Tram.

Edited by Bucoops

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Also, isn’t ‘modelling’ meant to have two L’s Tony? 

Dead right, my boy!

You've spotted the deliberate error. It's American spelling, isn't it? Which I abhor.

These damn new glasses!

You've actually raised an interesting point, and I'm certainly 'hoist by my own petard' here. That of what's grammatically 'acceptable' in an on-line posting, or a tweet or an email.

My own point of view is (and because of it, I'm always riding for a fall), whatever form of media is employed, the English should (indeed must!) be correct. I know that comes down hard on others at times, but it's my personal stance.

What I found enlightening yesterday in my (fruitful) meeting, was that in the three 'modern' means of communication I listed (are there more?), nowadays correct English is really irrelevant, even at a professional level. I was astonished. 'It's conversational', I was told - as in 'I'm sorry it's took so long', 'Me/myself and so-and-so will be in attendance' or it's been stood on the track', etc, etc,. 

Pass me the quill and parchment, please! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Trying a new angle ?

New specs?

Since corrected.

Actually, I'm delighted when folk pick me up on my careless typing. What's sauce for the goose.........................,etc,. 

However, some folk are more sensitive when their writing errors are highlighted, so caution is needed at times.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

Tony, I don't know whether you or anyone reading feels in need of a Thompson BZ, but in case anyone should, may I draw your attention to this thread?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143089-thompson-bz-6-wheel-brake-van/

I built Ian's palbrick last year and it was absolutely exemplary as a kit.  Anyone introducing etched kits ought to be encouraged in my opinion, but those to this standard deserve to be well publicised.

I think I did illustrate this at the time, but too many wagons never hurt anyone......

Palbrick_B_2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

Dead right, my boy!

You've spotted the deliberate error. It's American spelling, isn't it? Which I abhor.

These damn new glasses!

You've actually raised an interesting point, and I'm certainly 'hoist by my own petard' here. That of what's grammatically 'acceptable' in an on-line posting, or a tweet or an email.

My own point of view is (and because of it, I'm always riding for a fall), whatever form of media is employed, the English should (indeed must!) be correct. I know that comes down hard on others at times, but it's my personal stance.

What I found enlightening yesterday in my (fruitful) meeting, was that in the three 'modern' means of communication I listed (are there more?), nowadays correct English is really irrelevant, even at a professional level. I was astonished. 'It's conversational', I was told - as in 'I'm sorry it's took so long', 'Me/myself and so-and-so will be in attendance' or it's been stood on the track', etc, etc,. 

Pass me the quill and parchment, please! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Well I must say my English was good, mainly because I can speak it, but my pronunciation and grammar has definitely improved since learning the Wright way. Think you’ve been a better teacher in the last 3 years then my actual teachers for majority of my schooling years!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Tony, I don't know whether you or anyone reading feels in need of a Thompson BZ, but in case anyone should, may I draw your attention to this thread?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143089-thompson-bz-6-wheel-brake-van/

I built Ian's palbrick last year and it was absolutely exemplary as a kit.  Anyone introducing etched kits ought to be encouraged in my opinion, but those to this standard deserve to be well publicised.

I think I did illustrate this at the time, but too many wagons never hurt anyone......

Palbrick_B_2.jpg

Thanks for that, Jonathan,

That BZ really does look the part. I'm very interested.

That said, there are already two Thompson BZs running on Little Bytham, neither of them my work.

BZ.jpg.5f103879e0861bb72dc409b9e391251c.jpg

This one was built /painted by Mike Radford from one of his own kits. It was presented to me as a 60th birthday present by Gilbert Barnatt. 

I believe Tim Shackleton gave this product a bit of a pasting in one of his reviews. Is it a bad kit, because this one looks all right to me?

1995020076_CometBZ.jpg.c69b217b8e15dc221ad550adb98c3bca.jpg

And this one, built/painted by John Houldlen, and acquired when he graduated to O Gauge. This one is a Comet kit. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 12

Mike Radford hasn't forgotten that review, Tony - it came up the last time I spoke to him at a show.  It was one of the earlier brass kits I built and I don't recall many problems except that there was a lack of information about the underframe layout.  It trundled around Thurston for years.

thombz.jpg

Are there any springs on the second one you've illustrated above?

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I shall endeavour to wear my RMweb name badge so you can identify me when I'm not leaning out of the cab of a 'Castle' (assuming your eyesight is good enough to see that much on my avatar).

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Thanks for the tip off Jonathon. I’ve put my name down and seem to have taken the last one of the first batch, so sorry if anyone else wanted one! I suspect there will be another batch in due course.

Andy