Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Many thanks for the B1 pictures Tony.  I have actually found a picture of Mayflower herself with a late crest and it is clear that the coal barrier is forward.  (Cannot post due to copyright).  My search for information has shown me just how much variation there was on something was a 'Standard Tender'.  Some have what I think are auxiliary air tanks, some have two square boxes on one side for who knows what?  For anyone who might be interested I did come across a good picture of a V2 with the LNER 4200 standard tender.  It had the short coal box and a line of rivets where what I assume was the old barrier.  The dome in that picture was defiantly smooth looking very much like a casting rather than a fabrication. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

At last!

My pair of tractors are properly roped to their respective wagons; complete with chocks.

This is all down to good friend, Ray Chessum, who's done this for me. He's also painted the tractors.

Thanks Ray. 

1574417170_tractorsonwagons01.jpg.c647d309b360146812fc7d8628d3ecc1.jpg

1686024088_tractorsonwagons02.jpg.6429596410bfb031d0c872b3e36d3fec.jpg

The tractors are indeed well roped down, but I would suggest that the type of Fordson at the rear should be a much lighter blue: nearer Caledonian rather than GE blue. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Br sturgeon is now finished, apart from a paint job and the smaller detail

being added. I really kit bashed the living crap out of this!!!! 

Scratchbuilt ends as the LNER type had fixed ends, little bit of plasticard and look at that, still looks horrible!! It’s not the best, but I am happy with the outcome, let’s see if the second one turns out better!! 

F99D06E6-B48C-438F-AA35-E58C3305B92C.jpeg.0dc9643706de0e72cf306870a669870b.jpeg

• Like 14

10 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The tractors are indeed well roped down, but I would suggest that the type of Fordson at the rear should be a much lighter blue: nearer Caledonian rather than GE blue. 

Tim

Interesting that, Tim,

Ray said the Fordsons were painted in a variety of different blues; some light, some dark. This one's a Fordson Super Major. 

I'm sure someone out there will have a colour picture.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

I don’t think I have seen a Fordson Super Major in that colour, Tony, but their predecessors were that colour blue.  The ones I grew up with in the 50s & 60s were a lighter blue, as are most of this type displayed on the rally field nowadays.. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Are they not Super Dexters in the lighter blue?  Distant memory.....

No, they were the same / similar colour: we had both, but the old Fordson Majors had weathered and faded quite a bit by the time we got the Dexter. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Any number of them, Tony... https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/fordson-super-major.html

My dad painted his red, so pictures of that would be no use.  I think Tim's right, thought - that dark blue was used on earlier models.

Thanks Jonathan,

Many different blue hues there...................

Regards,

Tony. 

2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I don’t think I have seen a Fordson Super Major in that colour, Tony, but their predecessors were that colour blue.  The ones I grew up with in the 50s & 60s were a lighter blue, as are most of this type displayed on the rally field nowadays.. 

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Though I think I'll leave it as it is. Who knows, it might be a future talking point.

I've got one of McLaren's (Maclaren's?) principal designers coming over for a visit this afternoon (the road cars). I'll ask him. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 1

My uncle had several in his contracting company's fleet of machines. I wouldn't put money on recollecting exactly what colour they were. Colour memory is notoriously inaccurate, although not many people realise that.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

My uncle had several in his contracting company's fleet of machines. I wouldn't put money on recollecting exactly what colour they were. Colour memory is notoriously inaccurate, although not many people realise that.

According to a model railway friend who was a colour chemist the time for accurate recall is about 20 minutes.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

According to a model railway friend who was a colour chemist the time for accurate recall is about 20 mi

Jamie

20 millennia? As long as that. ;-)

But the real test is can one compare colour memory accurately to match with another without the original next to it? 

G

• Agree 1

On 21/03/2019 at 21:35, Northmoor said:

Were Jinties normally at York?  Seems well off the LM Region to me.

York had a LMS shed, or at least one that serviced LMS engines.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/01/york-sub-sheds-1937-1957.html

I have seen photos of LMS Garratts at York, which I think was the edge of their usual range north on mineral trains, so I would espect a lot of LMS main line engines would show up there.

Something as small as a Jinty is a little surprising but the LNER info forum people say they were used as pilots a the station in the late 50s.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4852

Hope that helps.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, grahame said:

20 millennia? As long as that. ;-)

But the real test is can one compare colour memory accurately to match with another without the original next to it? 

G

Thanks Grahame, the text edited itself for some reason, I've now re edited it.

Jamie

I was sufficiently amused by this photo to post it here, where real photographers live. It was taken for my layout thread to illustrate a re-numbered B16/1 61410, a Heaton loco. The light bounce looks not dissimilar to smoke surrounding the leading coach as it passes under Scottie Bridge on a Newcastle-Berwick stopper. Wish I could remember how I did it! 

IMG_20190322_091547.jpg.e5bc15f34130591af37bda048024b234.jpg

John

• Like 7

11 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Once again,

In my attempt to write a post, a previous one comes up.

Never mind.

In the end, I didn't ask the McLaren designer or the engine designer about the colours of tractors. 

We were too busy admiring this!

2093365943_McLaren03.jpg.50c1fab49636c293594059091c42f208.jpg

Thanks Marcus and Graham for a splendid afternoon.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Once again,

Never mind.

In the end, I didn't ask the McLaren designer or the engine designer about the colours of tractors. 

It has lamps, but needs weathering.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, johndon said:

A couple of shots of the tipper wagons I posted a couple of weeks ago on the layout.  They are almost done although the wheels do need some more work...

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

John

Just checking, are those my kits John?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Once again,

Never mind.

Very nice, and what a rubbish editor in the forum now

Edited by MJI

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jamiel said:

York had a LMS shed, or at least one that serviced LMS engines.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/01/york-sub-sheds-1937-1957.html

I have seen photos of LMS Garratts at York, which I think was the edge of their usual range north on mineral trains, so I would espect a lot of LMS main line engines would show up there.

Something as small as a Jinty is a little surprising but the LNER info forum people say they were used as pilots a the station in the late 50s.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4852

Hope that helps.

Yes Garratts were permitted to work to York up the York and North Midland Line from Normanton.  I once had a copy of the route restrictions book and got the info from there.   If I have remembered correctly the Midland Shed was the building that was used for the original York Railway Museum before the NRM opened.   

I'll have a look in my allocation book and see if any locos were shedded there.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Once again,

Never mind.

Left-hand drive. Must be H0...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5