Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Regarding Tony's post of 19:37 yesterday, I reckon it contains an error of context.  I'll leave Tony to find it and apply his own red pencil.  More important is the number on the buffer beam of the School's class.    Number 92 of the Southern Railway was a shunting tank - a digit has gone missing, or was never applied in the first place.

Bill

Bill, is it in the sentence that mentions Ally Pally?

37 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Thefe houfes are ERECTED and ENDOWED For EVER
By Mrs Mary Squires for the Ufe of
   Six Decayed Tradefmans Widows of this Parifh and no other.
Ano. Domi. 1795.

Language does indeed change, both spoken and written.

I await comments from the experts on the above.

Particularly in respect of who is decayed.

Bernard

Bernard, that is the old "s", shaped in a similar manner to an "f" but without the bar - so "ſ".  I thought it was out of use by 1795 and replaced by a small version of the capital "S".  Perhaps it survived until the growth of newspapers as a consequence of the Corn Laws of 1832 and the ability to distribute them by the new railways.  Given your family history, the double "s" (as in Miss) was written "ſs", which is remarkably similar to the German "ß".

Bill

Edited by bbishop

Tony, if you fancy any more tractors, I went back through my thread on the LNER Encyclopedia forum and found this photo, taken in Coventry in or after 1952.

in the background you can see two TE20s loaded back to back on a Lowfit.  I don't know how they were roped, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I usually post my occasional contribution to this thread under my Chris Knight moniker, since the recent 'upgrade' that seems to have

reverted me back to Evertonian and my very basic computer skills can't cope with sorting it out.  

However thanks for your kind comments relating to New Kensal Green (not Rise) at the Ally Pally show, a brief illustration appears  on 

video on the exhibition thread of the smoke effects you mention. I post with some trepidation here as I know Tony is definitely not a 

fan of such "gimmicks"  but our group have shown the system twice now when exhibiting the group's Bournemouth West layout and

this weekend for the first time on the shed scene. We will have at least 6 locomotives featuring the system again at Railex on May 25/26

at Aylesbury.  I must say the response we have had has been overwhelmingly positive, with many people asking for information on how

the system works and wanting to know when it wouldl be available commercially. 

Chris Knight

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Good Morning Tony

Did you venture down to London and visit Ally Pally yesterday, if so I didn't get chance to meet you.

I did meet many people who converse on here and some who just enjoy reading the content. Thank you to all who stopped by Pig Lane and said "Hello". I will not list everyone, mainly because knowing me I will miss someone off or add someone who wasn't even at the show.

I have mentioned in the past I have difficulty with written English, one of the odd things is the rules, like those of the use of apostrophes I understand. I may spell the words wrong, the punctuation marks are hopefully in the right places.

I do have difficulties with colons and semi colons, even after working as a nurse on an gastrointestinal ward. One thing I did learn on that ward was the ability to talk s*** for hours.

I was very ambivalent with regard to posting what I did this morning, Clive, because I don't want anyone put off by having their grammar/spelling/punctuation commented on, and the recipient becoming 'upset'. I 'picked' Tim up because I know of his command of our native tongue. Part of my frustration stems from having my own words in print altered by subbers. The dreaded apostrophe has appeared in my own text, even though I didn't put it there to begin with. As another example, an editor (who should know better) altered my use of 'was' to 'were', forgetting that what I was commenting on was a singular noun. 

Anyway, to other things. I'm sorry I missed you yesterday - Dave said you were doing other things. I almost missed Pig Lane. I was standing (not stood) right next to it and asked some friends if they could find it in their guide for me. And, there it was. 'Bijou' I think is an apposite description. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error - once a hypocrite........
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

For the benefit of those who never studied Latin (I assume it's Latin), including me, Bill,

What does that mean? 

Tony. 

'The blame is mine', or, in the current demotic 'my bad'.

My French master once told my mother 'It would be better if Brian did Latin, as he's never going to meet a Roman'..

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I was very ambivalent with regard to posting what I did this morning, Clive, because I don't want anyone put off by having their grammar/spelling/punctuation commented on, and the recipient becoming 'upset'. I 'picked' Tim up because I know of his command of our native tongue. Part of my frustration stems from having my own words in print altered by subbers. The dreaded apostrophe has appeared in my own text, even though I didn't put it there to begin with. As another example, an editor (who should know better) altered my use of 'was' to 'were', forgetting that what I was commenting on was a singular noun. 

Anyway, to other things. I'm sorry I missed you yesterday - Dave said you were doing other things. I almost missed Pig Lane. I was standing (not stood) right next to it and asked some friends if they could find it in their guide for me. And, there it was. 'Bijou' I think is an apposite description. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

I bet that was a surprise to see Dave behind a layout, and not even his. I had a DEMU committee meeting that started late then went over its supposed running time, so I was extremely grateful to Dave for looking after the Pig.  It does seem to be quite an easy layout to miss, by the number of people who walked past it. I think small layouts have a clientele of their own, most modellers and the public like to see big layouts with trains whizzing past irrespective of the modelling but some will take the time to view what is on offer from a small layout.  

100_5480.JPG.9e27e9266f511934096fe909144e2dc8.JPG

Not every layout has scratchbuild group of young ladies wearing clothes in the colours that were fashionable in 1970. The painting of them was sub-contracted to my eldest who Googled what were fashionable colours for the time period the model is set in.  Note the trainspotters have not yet reach that stage in life when sneaking into pubs, listening to rock music and being rejected by the girl you have fancied for weeks takes over.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

School's Class ?    If it were the Class belonging to the Schools that should be Schools' should it not? However if Schools is the plural use of the word describing the Class is it not Schools Class?

Dez

Llexic

Edited by Mallard60022
Daft grammar!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

School's Class ?    If it were the Class belonging to the Schools that should be Schools' should it not? However if Schools is the plural use of the word describing the Class is it not Schools Class?

Dez

Llexic

You've got me, Phil,

Enough of grammar?

Speaking of 'Schools', as in the class of locomotive, was there ever a more-successful 4-4-0 to run in this country? 

This is mine (which has been seen before), built by me from a South Eastern Finecast kit, and painted (perfectly) by Ian Rathbone. 

Schools.jpg.e256f8d3c5e70716067add6f05c57e1c.jpg

Those who can't (or won't) build such a loco, there's always Hornby's offering - which is very good.

1846641925_HornbySchools01.jpg.5c37fc02bf6ef8303d2846b5ecbfdbb1.jpg

Mine has bogie splashers, though.

On a totally different subject, and a word of warning if I may.........?

As part of Mo's and my raising funds for CRUK, I was asked to make our donations 'gift-aided', which I did. That way (it would seem) the charity would then get 25% more on the donations. Except, because we've (foolishly?) put the monies collected through our joint account, the taxperson then assumes it's earned income, for which I'm required to pay 20% tax! I've now cancelled the gift aid, which seems a pity. Oh dear, not only have we been collecting money for a (most-worthy) charity, it looks like we'll have to pay for the privilege, back-dated (though or accountant is sorting this out). 

The solution is simple. I've requested a collecting 'tin' from CRUK. At shows, any monies made through my loco-doctoring or by donations or from our selling of donated models will just be put straight into that. Once enough has been collected, I'll just hand the 'tin' over to our nearest branch of CRUK, which is in Stamford. Sorted!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

'The blame is mine', or, in the current demotic 'my bad'.

My French master once told my mother 'It would be better if Brian did Latin, as he's never going to meet a Roman'..

I was a consistent 24th out of 24, with the occasional 23rd, in my French Class.   I had similar consistent results in my Latin Class to the total exasperation of my teacher parents.  I gave Latin up 3 weeks before O level but scraped through my French O level with a grade 6.   The only bits of Latin I could  do were Roman History and Scansion of poetry.  

Jamie

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

You've got me, Phil,

Enough of grammar?

Speaking of 'Schools', as in the class of locomotive, was there ever a more-successful 4-4-0 to run in this country? 

This is mine (which has been seen before), built by me from a South Eastern Finecast kit, and painted (perfectly) by Ian Rathbone. 

Schools.jpg.e256f8d3c5e70716067add6f05c57e1c.jpg

Those who can't (or won't) build such a loco, there's always Hornby's offering - which is very good.

1846641925_HornbySchools01.jpg.5c37fc02bf6ef8303d2846b5ecbfdbb1.jpg

Mine has bogie splashers, though.

On a totally different subject, and a word of warning if I may.........?

As part of Mo's and my raising funds for CRUK, I was asked to make our donations 'gift-aided', which I did. That way (it would seem) the charity would then get 25% more on the donations. Except, because we've (foolishly?) put the monies collected through our joint account, the taxperson then assumes it's earned income, for which I'm required to pay 20% tax! I've now cancelled the gift aid, which seems a pity. Oh dear, not only have we been collecting money for a (most-worthy) charity, it looks like we'll have to pay for the privilege, back-dated (though or accountant is sorting this out). 

The solution is simple. I've requested a collecting 'tin' from CRUK. At shows, any monies made through my loco-doctoring or by donations or from our selling of donated models will just be put straight into that. Once enough has been collected, I'll just hand the 'tin' over to our nearest branch of CRUK, which is in Stamford. Sorted!

Regards,

Tony. 

Bill's little blooper and not yours dear heart.

Those locomotives are just beautiful. I never saw a Schools in full cry, only standing in Reading West Shed and I think I saw one at Exeter Central just the once, however that might be my imagination playing tricks?

P

The Southern Schools were super looking engines in my view. I saw a few but not enough. I was introduced to by a modeller who had lost his arm as a result of war service. He made it in EM gauge out of nickel silver and fabricated all the parts with his remaining hand. He used his false hand as a vice and soldering clamp as it was painless!

Martin Long

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Philou said:

@Jamie

If you were 23rd or 24th out of 24 in French, what on earth are you doing living in France? 'E eez fou!!

Cheers,

Philip

My teacher parents were so disgusted that at 14 (1967) I was packed off to live with a Parisian family for 3 weeks. Lovely 141R's pulled our train from Calais and there were 141T's at Gare du Nord. I then spent 3 weeks not speaking a word of English, went to a French school for 4 days, Scout camp for a week and ended up reasonably fluent verbally.   My written French is appalling but I came to love the country and the ability to have a conversation in French didn't depart.  I apparently only passed my O level due to doing well in the Oral.   At work I once had to authorise the detention of an Italian shoplifter (In Pontefract of all places) who was a former Legionnaire.   I rather startled the night custody Sgt by telling him to stand to attention and then explained his rights to him in French.  

However I have just been told that on of our neighbours has a lot of photos of our local station, that closed in the 50's, that he took in 1944, as he lived next door to it.  I will have to resist the temptation to make a model of it.  The station house still stands.

P7060648.JPGIt's a tempting thought.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, glo41f said:

The Southern Schools were super looking engines in my view. I saw a few but not enough. I was introduced to by a modeller who had lost his arm as a result of war service. He made it in EM gauge out of nickel silver and fabricated all the parts with his remaining hand. He used his false hand as a vice and soldering clamp as it was painless!

Martin Long

I would love to run the Schools with the Nelson tender at an exhibition just to see if anyone came and told me that was 'incorrect'!

Phil

• Like 1

Can I ask a question to the forum regarding live brass chassis and current collection.

In 4mm, has anyone known a chassis to give poor current collection through the axle to the bearings?

Say if the bearings have plenty of oil or the axle fit is a loose fit? (Yes I know it shouldn’t be sloppy , let’s say well worn in). 

Just pondering before I order some Markits wheels, I’m tempted to go for insulated both sides and pick ups both sides.

Maybe less of an issue for a large loco running at speed to a small wheeled shunting loco?

I don’t have an issue with one particular loco at the moment. As I say just a thought as I’ve spent times at shows in the past cleaning wheels, track and adjusting pick ups to think maybe that could be an issue?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Hi Tony,

If those donating (either at shows or when visiting) were to complete the attached form (perhaps you could have some printed off and available?) then Gift Aid could be claimed by CRUK if you then send in the forms with monies donated. 

Incidentally, Gift Aid can be claimed for an individual for any donations made during the previous four years.

HTH

Brian

gift_aid_donation_form.pdf

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Tony - Regarding your photograph of "Blundell's". Is it my imagination or do the bogie wheels have a different tyre profile compared to the driving wheels? The bogie wheels seem rather wider and more toy train-like compared to the drivers. As a P4 and now 7mmFS modeller, some of the intricacies of 00 RTR may have passed me by over the years.

Edited by Arun Sharma
spelling mistake

Watched a recently up-loaded video last night called 'The Heyday of British Steam Vol 2'  Starts out with a section on the GC then moves to the ECML (lot of nice stuff covering Grantham) and finally a very short section on Settle Carlyle.  I found the section on the ECML most interesting in that it showed some very different coach formations behind what I loosely call Top Link Locomotives.  There were also several scenes showing colour light signals alongside semaphore in what I estimate to be between 1955 and 1960.  If you haven't seen it this is a link

50 minutes ago, Arun Sharma said:

Tony - Regarding your photograph of "Blundell's". Is it my imagination or do the bogie wheels have a different tyre profile compared to the driving wheels? The bogie wheels seem rather wider and more toy train-like compared to the drivers. As a P4 and now 7mmFS modeller, some of the intricacies of 00 RTR may have passed me by over the years.

You'll really have to ask Hornby that question, Arun, though I think the answer will be 'yes'. 

Even the best RTR locos are let down by their bogie wheels in 4mm. I suppose in order to take tight curves, they have to be 'cruder' than the drivers, but many are just awful. In my own field, both Bachmann's and Hornby's LNER bogie wheels look like nothing fitted at Doncaster, Stratford, Cowlairs or Darlington. On the few RTR locos I have, they're the first things to be replaced.

To be fair to Hornby, on some models they produce (the most-recent streamlined 'Coronation' for instance), finer bogie wheels are supplied as well as the under-scale chunky ones - in their own bogie! 

Sorry I missed you over the weekend.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael Delamar said:

Can I ask a question to the forum regarding live brass chassis and current collection.

In 4mm, has anyone known a chassis to give poor current collection through the axle to the bearings?

Say if the bearings have plenty of oil or the axle fit is a loose fit? (Yes I know it shouldn’t be sloppy , let’s say well worn in). 

Just pondering before I order some Markits wheels, I’m tempted to go for insulated both sides and pick ups both sides.

Maybe less of an issue for a large loco running at speed to a small wheeled shunting loco?

I don’t have an issue with one particular loco at the moment. As I say just a thought as I’ve spent times at shows in the past cleaning wheels, track and adjusting pick ups to think maybe that could be an issue?

Michael,

I've never had a problem with the current returning to the other rail through the wheels' axles and their bearings, even well-lubricated. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

On 25/03/2019 at 06:37, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Mike,

As for the Field Marshall; it isn't new, but has just been repaired at the tractor factory at Essendine. Believable? 

Back to trains, indeed...........

I went down early to Ally Pally today to photograph a layout for BRM. 

587812333_NorthForeland02.jpg.fafa1f30e7d49831456fa0a815b012c6.jpg

840535351_NorthForeland07.jpg.c86f862cb593ba8ab6d6a14edaab3e17.jpg

John Smith's rendition in O Gauge of a 'might have been' SR terminus on the Kent coast in 1947. Very nicely done, I thought.

I enjoyed the show, chatted to lots of folks and was immensely gratified at the number of people who told me how much they'd enjoyed the recent LB moving footage. 'Are you going to do any more?' I was asked. We'll see. 

I drove down in my Ford Focus ST. What a slug compared with the car I was in yesterday as a passenger. 0-60 mph in around three seconds! Over 650 BHP, and that's the 'entry-level' McLaren. My face went through the back of my skull! 

Finally, may I please thank Pete Latham who most-generously handed over £100.00 to me today for me to send to CRUK? It was part of his fee for writing an article recently in BRM. Along with the generous donations yesterday from my guests, that means Mo and I will have sent £2,000.00 to the charity this year already. Once again, thanks to all. 

Well, as your assistant Director/Camerman I’ll be glad to help put something together in November. I shall work out a price and get back to you with my quote. 

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Of course, Tony.  I blame it on predictive text and not checking.   This talk of Dexters could become very sinister...

Tim

I came bottom or next to bottom in Latin at school for five years. However, I remember enough to appreciate the joke. : )

With possessive proper nouns, such as Giles, what's the correct form? Is it Giles' or Giles's or a case that either can be used?

Quickly back to trains – Tony is there a story to your Schools Class Cheltenham, did it run on the ECML for a period, perhaps a loco exchange?

Edited by Anglian