Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

26 minutes ago, Anglian said:

I came bottom or next to bottom in Latin at school for five years. However, I remember enough to appreciate the joke. : )

With possessive proper nouns, such as Giles, what's the correct form? Is it Giles' or Giles's or a case that either can be used?

Quickly back to trains – Tony is there a story to your Schools Class Cheltenham, did it run on the ECML for a period, perhaps a loco exchange?

I'm guessing it's actually a loco from the Charwelton stud. Cheltenham hauled an RCTS special from Nottingham Victoria and made it's way from and back to the southern region via Charwelton. It was used on a service train to make, at least part of, it's way home. There's a photo published somewhere but darned if I can remember where. 

Edited by great central
Missing word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I was a consistent 24th out of 24, with the occasional 23rd, in my French Class.   I had similar consistent results in my Latin Class to the total exasperation of my teacher parents.  I gave Latin up 3 weeks before O level but scraped through my French O level with a grade 6.   The only bits of Latin I could  do were Roman History and Scansion of poetry.  

Jamie

Interestingly, I passed Latin O level, but failed French. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, Anglian said:

I came bottom or next to bottom in Latin at school for five years. However, I remember enough to appreciate the joke. : )

With possessive proper nouns, such as Giles, what's the correct form? Is it Giles' or Giles's or a case that either can be used?

Quickly back to trains – Tony is there a story to your Schools Class Cheltenham, did it run on the ECML for a period, perhaps a loco exchange?

There is a story, Tim; a good one!

As Great Central has mentioned, it ran on the GC for a time in (I think) 1963. It took a railtour from Nottingham to Darlington in company with a Midland 4-4-0. Prior to this, Leicester men got to know it, and it was used on service trains between Nottingham and Marylebone. It was due to go back to the SR, but the class had no work on home ground, anyway (other members were being withdrawn or were withdrawn). For at least a further week (maybe two) it continued to work the semi-fasts. I'm told it was the best loco the GC had at the time. 

Thus, when WMRC built Charwelton, what better loco to build for it by way of something different? I also built MORTEHOE and CITY OF NOTTINGHAM, both of which also worked specials on the GC. The trio was used from time on the layout at shows, about twice a day each, much to spectators' interest.

I keep CHELTENHAM because I like her, though MORTEHOE looks like she's going to a friend. 46251 was built for a mate as a wedding present.  Of course, in the case of the two SR ones, there's nowhere for me to run them 'legitimately' now. CITY OF NOTTINGHAM sees service now (appropriately) on Hest Bank. 

With regard to specials, that's why I'm building CITY OF LONDON for LB. Even though when 46245 ran along the GN, in 1963, Little Bytham Station had been closed for four years and demolished, the rest of the infrastructure was complete. Anyway, it's my trainset, and Rule 1 will apply.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

You'll really have to ask Hornby that question, Arun, though I think the answer will be 'yes'. 

Even the best RTR locos are let down by their bogie wheels in 4mm. I suppose in order to take tight curves, they have to be 'cruder' than the drivers, but many are just awful. In my own field, both Bachmann's and Hornby's LNER bogie wheels look like nothing fitted at Doncaster, Stratford, Cowlairs or Darlington. On the few RTR locos I have, they're the first things to be replaced.

To be fair to Hornby, on some models they produce (the most-recent streamlined 'Coronation' for instance), finer bogie wheels are supplied as well as the under-scale chunky ones - in their own bogie! 

Sorry I missed you over the weekend.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you - That explains the seemingly larger flanges on the bogie wheels.

5 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

Can I ask a question to the forum regarding live brass chassis and current collection.

In 4mm, has anyone known a chassis to give poor current collection through the axle to the bearings?

Say if the bearings have plenty of oil or the axle fit is a loose fit? (Yes I know it shouldn’t be sloppy , let’s say well worn in). 

Just pondering before I order some Markits wheels, I’m tempted to go for insulated both sides and pick ups both sides.

Maybe less of an issue for a large loco running at speed to a small wheeled shunting loco?

I don’t have an issue with one particular loco at the moment. As I say just a thought as I’ve spent times at shows in the past cleaning wheels, track and adjusting pick ups to think maybe that could be an issue?

Hi Michael,

I have some experience of what you've described.  You may be aware from my earlier posts to this blog that I never fit pickups preferring to build tank engines with split axles and frames, and tender engines using the American system - loco picks up on the nearside and tender the offside.  At one time I had a couple of models that started to run erratically and  eventually the problem was tracked down to the make of oil I was using which was acting as an electrical insulator  in the horn blocks.  The two models were stripped down, cleaned, and when reassembled an alternate lubricant was used (purchased from Eileen's Emporium).  This cured the offending locos and I have not experienced the problem again.  

I did start using Peco's Electrolube which would seem to be the ideal lubricant for my approach to picking up current, but I have subsequently been warned off using it by other modellers because I am advised that it damages ABS plastic centred wheels such as those supplied by Alan Gibson.   I'm hoping that this is untrue because all my models have plastic centred wheels and several could therefore be destined to fail in due course, but I have stopped using it for this reason despite so far not having experienced any problems myself.  You should be fine with Markit wheels but Electrolube is very expensive compared to normal lubricants and care must be taken not to get it anywhere where it can bridge across an isolation gap  because it will short out the gap.

Regards,

Frank 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Michael,

I have some experience of what you've described.  You may be aware from my earlier posts to this blog that I never fit pickups preferring to build tank engines with split axles and frames, and tender engines using the American system - loco picks up on the nearside and tender the offside.  At one time I had a couple of models that started to run erratically and  eventually the problem was tracked down to the make of oil I was using which was acting as an electrical insulator  in the horn blocks.  The two models were stripped down, cleaned, and when reassembled an alternate lubricant was used (purchased from Eileen's Emporium).  This cured the offending locos and I have not experienced the problem again.  

I did start using Peco's Electrolube which would seem to be the ideal lubricant for my approach to picking up current, but I have subsequently been warned off using it by other modellers because I am advised that it damages ABS plastic centred wheels such as those supplied by Alan Gibson.   I'm hoping that this is untrue because all my models have plastic centred wheels and several could therefore be destined to fail in due course, but I have stopped using it for this reason despite so far not having experienced any problems myself.  You should be fine with Markit wheels but Electrolube is very expensive compared to normal lubricants and care must be taken not to get it anywhere where it can bridge across an isolation gap  because it will short out the gap.

Regards,

Frank 

Sound advice, Frank,

For years, I used Singer sewing machine oil to lubricate my chassis, but my bottle (actually, tin) ran dry and I now use a German-made lubricant available from Hobby Holidays. Would you believe, my 'tube' of it also ran out recently, and, having chucked the 'pen' dispenser away, I can't remember its name. It's quite expensive, but very good, and does not damage plastic. It contains some of the stuff used on non-stick pans - PTFE is it? 

Electrolube? Though it is a wonderful 'electrical' lubricant, you're quite right about it potentially ruining the insulation on Romford/Markits wheels. The insulation between the tyre and the wheel's rim is a ring of the thinnest card; which is absorbent. Electrolube (which it's designed to do, as far as I know) will pass current. Thus, the card absorbs the Electrolube, and the wheel is (essentially) useless. I once had a beautifully-built DJH 'Crab' through my hands, lubricated with Electrolube (to be fair, flooded with the stuff), and all its Romford driving wheels were shorted-out. I believe Electrolube is best used for switch contacts and the like. 

As for any lubricants damaging plastic-centred driving wheels, I (obviously) don't have that problem, because I don't use them.  

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Latin?  I came second in my class of thirty students, achieving 22% in my end of term exam.  I’m not sure whether that says more about the teacher or our attitude towards the subject though.

Re: Southern trains on NE metals, I have found ‘football specials’ a source of prototypical interest, though rarely modelled.  Several photographs exist showing Bulleid light Pacifics on the GC at Leicester and Nottingham:  34054 34042 hauling Southampton supporters to Nottingham Forest, for example.  Looking up football fixtures for the years being modelled might give an indication of the possibilities.  Saturday workings, of course.

Phil.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

For years, I used Singer sewing machine oil to lubricate my chassis, but my bottle (actually, tin) ran dry and I now use a German-made lubricant available from Hobby Holidays. Would you believe, my 'tube' of it also ran out recently, and, having chucked the 'pen' dispenser away, I can't remember its name. It's quite expensive, but very good, and does not damage plastic. It contains some of the stuff used on non-stick pans - PTFE is it? 

Hi Tony,

Here's the 'Oils' page from the Hobby Holidays website:

http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/products.php?cat=152

- there is an oil containing Teflon (used on non-stick pans) but unfortunately no picture or brand name.  Could this be the one perhaps?

HTH

Kind Regards,

Brian

• RMweb Gold

6 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

My understanding is that 'mineral' based oil leaches the plasticizer out of plastics making them go brittle and prone to cracking, crumbling, etc. Therefore it is best to use a 'synthetic' oil especially formulated for models (like MaGeR or Hobbylube) where it is likely to come in contact with plastic gears, plastic wheel centres and so on. The issue of electrical conductance is, of course, another issue.

G

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Hi Tony,

Here's the 'Oils' page from the Hobby Holidays website:

http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/products.php?cat=152

- there is an oil containing Teflon (used on non-stick pans) but unfortunately no picture or brand name.  Could this be the one perhaps?

HTH

Kind Regards,

Brian

Thanks Brian,

It would appear to be the one which is out of stock. The one above is also good. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

I recall that on a US-based DCC site, Wahl clipper oil was being touted as a good conductor, head-of-the-rail for the use of, as long as it was in minute quantities, i.e. one or two drops per layout. I do not warrant this information!

My use of English remains imperfect, despite studying at a leafy Surrey Grammar Skool in the early ‘60s. It is also where I first encountered Sherry, although we are only recently married. I failed Latin O Level twice, to the irritation of Ted, the teacher. He was actually called Tom, but his initials were T.E.D.. A decent man, he tried to bring the dead language alive “You must construe, my friends! Here you are, hiding behind your tortoise, as a horde of hairy Gauls comes rushing down the hill towards you!” I fared marginally better at French, managing an A Level, but that was in 1966. When we retired to France 15 yers ago, it was on the premise that Deb spoke rather better French than I did. Her loss in 2012 left me having to try harder!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

My Latin teacher was called Mr Twidel ..Tommy Twiddle to us!

He did get me past 'O'Level. I recall that we had to be able to read accounts of the 'Punic Wars' in Latin. I recall struggling a bit but I used to be able to tell people about them ...if they were interested!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Anglian said:

Having a surname which ends in 's' I paid particular attention to the teaching about apostrophes in the final year of junior school and it was made clear that in that situation the apostrophe should come after the 's'.   I was also taught that to add 'apostrophe s' at the end of a name ending in 's' was incorrect and should it be used in the 11+ exam it would lead to deduction of marks.  I was also similarly taught when studying at the City of London College for a career related examination and that lecturer in English was the the author of very rather useful textbook on English grammar.  Accordingly I find all this modern nonsense of adding 'apostrophe s' to a proper name ending in 's' to not only look very wrong when written or printed but to sound atrocious when spoken.

Incidentally for the few of you on here who know my surname you may be greatly amused to hear that I persistently scored some of the lowest marks ever recorded in Latin exams at school.  I was far too bad to be allowed to try my luck with the O Level exam.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another wonderful day with friends visiting LB.

Things were brought - interesting things.

782189413_Maunsellcarriage.jpg.db7a3d3609065734c78d2b5162ab79a1.jpg

Like this 100-seat Maunsell carriage, made from a Bachmann donor, Bill Bedford sides and scratch-built ends. 

1003574072_ZAtlantic.jpg.2f20d9844f6104bfc69641b9590b3e46.jpg

And this rather nice DJH Class Z Atlantic. Both the models were made by Ian Smith. He looks at RMweb from time to time, so might well comment further.

156994353_pointrodding.jpg.80c450a346b8c79223a365e90065fe55.jpg

Before my guests arrived, I installed a bit more point rodding I'd put together. There are 'miles' still to go! 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Having a surname which ends in 's' I paid particular attention to the teaching about apostrophes in the final year of junior school and it was made clear that in that situation the apostrophe should come after the 's'.   I was also taught that to add 'apostrophe s' at the end of a name ending in 's' was incorrect and should it be used in the 11+ exam it would lead to deduction of marks.  I was also similarly taught when studying at the City of London College for a career related examination and that lecturer in English was the the author of very rather useful textbook on English grammar.  Accordingly I find all this modern nonsense of adding 'apostrophe s' to a proper name ending in 's' to not only look very wrong when written or printed but to sound atrocious when spoken.

Incidentally for the few of you on here who know my surname you may be greatly amused to hear that I persistently scored some of the lowest marks ever recorded in Latin exams at school.  I was far too bad to be allowed to try my luck with the O Level exam.

But what about St James's Park?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, 'twas I that incorrectly named a tractor after a beast, my apologies.  A friend has both!  A Super Dexta, no less, but it is pale-ish blue with a silver radiator, and he insists it is correct as his family have owned it from new.  Tractor spotters  are as bad as rivet counters, perhaps.

The Schools class are a conundrum for me, a good looking loco spoilt entirely by the inward sloping upper cab sidesheets needed to get them through tight Southern tunnels.  A fine mechanical design though, that punched above their weight.  Lovely models both, posted above, with real presence.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 5