Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Schools class are a conundrum for me, a good looking loco spoilt entirely by the inward sloping upper cab sidesheets needed to get them through tight Southern tunnels.  A fine mechanical design though, that punched above their weight.  Lovely models both, posted above, with real presence.

It's quite possible that the reason that they punched above their weight was that they were possibly based on the Highland Railway Rivers, which proved to be very fine performers (and a class that the Caley couldn't design a match for! One wonders why they just didn't order more of them rather than trying to produce something similar), and were at one time a possible candidate for becoming an LMS standard design....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of tractors reminds me of an occasion from about ten years ago where I passed a Fordson Major on one of the back roads in the fens at dusk. Nothing really unusual about that, but it was still wired for nearside dipping only, ie when you dip your headlights the offside lamp goes off and the nearside lamp dips. It has to be the last time I've seen this arrangement on a vehicle that hasn't been restored to original.

Andy G

• Like 2

On 23/03/2019 at 15:29, Jamiel said:

Something as small as a Jinty is a little surprising but the LNER info forum people say they were used as pilots a the station in the late 50s.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4852

Hope that helps.

Several Jinties were stored at Scarborough at one point. I have also seen at least one photo of a Jinty shunting the Gallows Close goods yard in the town.

• Informative/Useful 1

Us townies have little interest in tractors and agricultural equipment. But I did snap this outside the village (an urban village) hall some years back. Thank goodness it wasn't on the roads causing tailbacks and delays. I think it's some sort of strange implement for use in fields. Does it qualify for adding to the tractor discussion?

DSC_3867.JPG.ceda9b09f0ab6c7ae3df76cccdbfdd36.JPG

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 23/03/2019 at 22:13, jamie92208 said:

Yes Garratts were permitted to work to York up the York and North Midland Line from Normanton.  I once had a copy of the route restrictions book and got the info from there.   If I have remembered correctly the Midland Shed was the building that was used for the original York Railway Museum before the NRM opened.   

I'll have a look in my allocation book and see if any locos were shedded there.

Jamie

Wasn't the Midland shed the roundhouse that was eventually partly hidden by the Engineers' Triangle, which has now been replaced by the Signalling Centre? It was known as York South.

The original Railway Museum was on the other side of the southern station throat, next to the BRSA clubroom on Queen Street, IIRC.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, grahame said:

Us townies have little interest in tractors and agricultural equipment. But I did snap this outside the village (an urban village) hall some years back. Thank goodness it wasn't on the roads causing tailbacks and delays. I think it's some sort of strange implement for use in fields. Does it qualify for adding to the tractor discussion?

DSC_3867.JPG.ceda9b09f0ab6c7ae3df76cccdbfdd36.JPG

They're No problem, I get stuck behind these every year..

ROPA-2015-Tiger-5-615x346[1].jpg

On the road they unhook the harvesting bit off the front, stick it on wheels and tow it behind the main machine..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Schools class are a conundrum for me, a good looking loco spoilt entirely by the inward sloping upper cab sidesheets needed to get them through tight Southern tunnels.  A fine mechanical design though, that punched above their weight.  Lovely models both, posted above, with real presence.

The Schools class was a modified Nelson chassis (only three cylinders) married to a shortened Arthur boiler.  The design may have been by Finlayson, ex LSWR chief draughtsman.  The key criteria were getting air into the firebox and getting used steam out of the cylinders.  They were (are) big engines and could cope with the switchback to Hastings and the top link Bournemouth expresses.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, TheQ said:

They're No problem, I get stuck behind these every year..

ROPA-2015-Tiger-5-615x346[1].jpg

On the road they unhook the harvesting bit off the front, stick it on wheels and tow it behind the main machine..

Where I live you add 15 minutes to half an hour to all journey times to allow for tractors etc. it is all part of living in a farming community.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've never found the need to allow such extra time for journeys in farming Lincolnshire, but it does help to know all the back roads as well the obvious ones they signpost in for the outsiders.

Even if the farming traffic does delay things a bit a times it is vastly preferable to queues of traffic that turn daily four mile car journeys into an hour's job, noise, over-population, housing that forever costs most of your wages (even if they are much better than rural wages), and the greedy-grasping-aggressive lifestyle of the "sought after" cities with their highly paid (highly stressed) jobs, supposedly desirable "facilities" (that you can't afford and can't get to quickly) and "great central locations with good transport connections" that are of no practical value owing to cost / congestion and delay.

But millions continue to think that living in high cost urban misery is a good idea.......

• Like 8
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

The Schools were smashing locos, probably my favourite. I’m sure I shed a tear when I heard Harrow (which I never saw) and Blundells (which I did, along with all the other 38), had gone to the torch. As my late friend Peter and I walked to skool, we passed under the A24 bridge by Deepdene station, and often a Schools would rumble overhead, rods clanking on the downhill from Dorking Town, passing our skool. Brighton, Eastbourne, Whitgift come to mind. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Wasn't the Midland shed the roundhouse that was eventually partly hidden by the Engineers' Triangle, which has now been replaced by the Signalling Centre? It was known as York South.

The original Railway Museum was on the other side of the southern station throat, next to the BRSA clubroom on Queen Street, IIRC.

I honestly don't know which was which but would welcome some informed input.  I do remember going to the old museum and being impressed by Gladstone I think.  

Jamie

Have we done to death agricultural traffic? It's caravans that slow traffic in my experience. But turning to buses - railway modellers seem to spend an inordinate time getting and posing an appropriate bus on a bridge - we seem to get a lot driving abound here as the Brookland bus museum is very close. Here's a couple, photographed on the same day as the tractor, on the village rec:

DSC_3877.JPG.5a28831b3f0bba6df86b296f719d7030.JPG

And a Metrobus and Titan just along Byfleet Road toward Pains Hill roundabout:

100_1431.JPG.31f336e08c9cc3f54e87966efc3823f3.JPG

I'd like a couple of N/2mm Leyland Titans for my layout but there are none available RTP so I had a bash at trying to convert a DMS. Not easy and I wasn't very successful:

DSC_6133.JPG.92001b886147af50067c15a938ffcd83.JPG

DSC_6134.JPG.a3b2c02770e0f4ec9ca0023ea5cdd5b0.JPG

These supersize pics, now on RMweb, certainly are very cruel to close-up small scale modelling.

G

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I honestly don't know which was which but would welcome some informed input.  I do remember going to the old museum and being impressed by Gladstone I think.  

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Some useful info here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_engine_sheds_and_locomotive_works

and here, including some nice words about Gladstone :)

http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r151.html

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, uax6 said:

It's quite possible that the reason that they punched above their weight was that they were possibly based on the Highland Railway Rivers, which proved to be very fine performers (and a class that the Caley couldn't design a match for! One wonders why they just didn't order more of them rather than trying to produce something similar), and were at one time a possible candidate for becoming an LMS standard design....

Andy G

I've never heard of any link between the 'Schools' and the HR 'Rivers', Andy (other than that they were both fine locos). 

As Bill has mentioned, the 'Schools' were a sort of 'potted' 'Nelson/Arthur', though, as it turned out, for their size, a better loco than either of those. 

When Maunsell was designing the 'Nelsons', he approached the other three main railways with regard to axle loading on their biggest locos, and Smith's 'River' might have been mentioned in the conversations. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Regarding the various mentions of York of late..............................

1795068242_GarrattatYork.jpg.2a623574efca16590ceb220796e1a42a.jpg

EX-LMS Garratts were certainly regular visitors to 50A up until the mid-'50s. Here's one in about 1951.

959341771_SentinelsatYork.jpg.2a8e587df6f7f3dbfd6129431e0591cf.jpg

On the same day, the photographer also recorded this pair of Sentinels on 50A. How many times would one see examples of Britain's longest and (one of the) shortest classes of loco on the same depot at the same time? 

148147094_YorkRoundhouse.jpg.0975be2b270ff424ce67223d6788ad10.jpg

The roundhouse at York was definitely in the area between the station itself and the goods avoiding lines. It was, as someone has mentioned, of Midland origin and was never part of the museum. 41583633_YorkSouth.jpg.4acf4d2902cabc8621e4d6f94fd1b5af.jpg

Though I last visited the place over 50 years ago, wasn't the original Railway Museum at York housed in the building behind this A3, heading south from York? I believe it was originally part of the L&NWR depot. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Get some of these on your layout(s). Proper jobs for ER areas in Notts, Lincs and Cambs. 

I'm sure I was positioned at the country end of the down platform at Retford one sunny afternoon and all of those ran past me tethered on lowfits.

All green apat from a singleton orange example. I have vague recollections that someone told me green paint for the home market, orange for export.

Those Essendine men certainly followed the rule book when it came to roping tractors even though most of the products in this pic originated in Stamford.

M460798-Lowfit-TractorsEditSM.jpg.bacd8c5fe690411437b916a252a8a83b.jpg

P

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'm sure I was positioned at the country end of the down platform at Retford one sunny afternoon and all of those ran past me tethered on lowfits.

All green apat from a singleton orange example. I have vague recollections that someone told me green paint for the home market, orange for export.

Those Essendine men certainly followed the rule book when it came to roping tractors even though most of the products in this pic originated in Stamford.

M460798-Lowfit-TractorsEditSM.jpg.bacd8c5fe690411437b916a252a8a83b.jpg

P

I'd always believed they orange or yellow examples were for industrial, rather than agricultural, use.  In one of David Larkin's 'Working Wagons' books, there are photos of Steel ABs carrying tractors to Sheerness for export, with both conventionally painted and yellow tractors on board. One of the few trains of such vehicles I've seen going through the Channel Tunnel (from Case at Doncaster, IIRC), was similarly loaded.

• Informative/Useful 2