Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regarding the various mentions of York of late..............................

E41583633_YorkSouth.jpg.4acf4d2902cabc8621e4d6f94fd1b5af.jpg

Though I last visited the place over 50 years ago, wasn't the original Railway Museum at York housed in the building behind this A3, heading south from York? I believe it was originally part of the L&NWR depot. 

Long time since I last went there but I think the museum was in a building further back behind that one. This link is very interesting with a lot of background information about the establishment of the museum -

https://machorne.wordpress.com/2017/07/25/britains-national-railway-museum-part-1/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regarding the various mentions of York of late..............................

1795068242_GarrattatYork.jpg.2a623574efca16590ceb220796e1a42a.jpg

EX-LMS Garratts were certainly regular visitors to 50A up until the mid-'50s. Here's one in about 1951.

959341771_SentinelsatYork.jpg.2a8e587df6f7f3dbfd6129431e0591cf.jpg

On the same day, the photographer also recorded this pair of Sentinels on 50A. How many times would one see examples of Britain's longest and (one of the) shortest classes of loco on the same depot at the same time? 

148147094_YorkRoundhouse.jpg.0975be2b270ff424ce67223d6788ad10.jpg

The roundhouse at York was definitely in the area between the station itself and the goods avoiding lines. It was, as someone has mentioned, of Midland origin and was never part of the museum. 41583633_YorkSouth.jpg.4acf4d2902cabc8621e4d6f94fd1b5af.jpg

Though I last visited the place over 50 years ago, wasn't the original Railway Museum at York housed in the building behind this A3, heading south from York? I believe it was originally part of the L&NWR depot. 

Hello Tony 

I can confirm that Garratts worked into York right up to their demise . One of my earliest memories is of seeing one running down from Skelton yard to the shed when about four (1956) & my father stating " that's what they call a Beyer Garratt , son ". I believe they worked iron stone trains headed for Teesside which were re- engine at York Skelton yard .

Cheers ,

Ray .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

All

Made a bit of progress last night on the A2 but there are no top hat bearings shown or in the box ! Do I need to supply separately as the axles do not feel a good fit or is that how it is meant to be when packing washers and wheel spacers are added ?

20190327_183107.jpg

Edited by petrovich

8 hours ago, grahame said:

Have we done to death agricultural traffic? It's caravans that slow traffic in my experience. But turning to buses - railway modellers seem to spend an inordinate time getting and posing an appropriate bus on a bridge - we seem to get a lot driving abound here as the Brookland bus museum is very close. Here's a couple, photographed on the same day as the tractor, on the village rec:

DSC_3877.JPG.5a28831b3f0bba6df86b296f719d7030.JPG

And a Metrobus and Titan just along Byfleet Road toward Pains Hill roundabout:

100_1431.JPG.31f336e08c9cc3f54e87966efc3823f3.JPG

I'd like a couple of N/2mm Leyland Titans for my layout but there are none available RTP so I had a bash at trying to convert a DMS. Not easy and I wasn't very successful:

DSC_6133.JPG.92001b886147af50067c15a938ffcd83.JPG

DSC_6134.JPG.a3b2c02770e0f4ec9ca0023ea5cdd5b0.JPG

These supersize pics, now on RMweb, certainly are very cruel to close-up small scale modelling.

G

How strange, a photograph with street lamps and it wasn't posted by, err, what's his name.

• RMweb Premium

RE the York South Shed(s), were there not two Roundhouses or am I dreaming that? 

The turntable tracks from one are retained at an R & R area  of the Panel Building, facing the south end of the station.

31A will know more about this and so I hope he picks up on this.

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, petrovich said:

All

I was expecting something top hat shaped but nothing in box and as image below only washers and spacers ?

20190327_190346.jpg

That is a rubbish drawing really isn't it. Parts 46 should be Top Hats.

Mention has been made above of the Schools class named "Harrow". This Schools was the subject of one of the original Kitmaster kits and I like thousands of others, purchased the kit under some sort of delusion that you could make it work. Notwithstanding that, those economic kits enabled me and many others I suspect actually build something that looked like what it was supposed to be though the paint job was dreadful. Did anyone ever make a Harrow actually work? Did anyone succeed in getting the Peco "Perfecta" motorising kits to produce a working model?

Thank you for triggering another nostalgia gallop.

Martin Long

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, petrovich said:

Thanks Mallard

I will go through the box again and see what I can discover as I am obviously not identifying it, a Specsavers visit due before long I feel.

Regards

Peter

Not suggesting you could not see them Peter. Apologies for that. In the older kits I can't remember if the Top Hats were in the little wheel bag or somewhere else. I suspect Tony has a huge supply of spares if you need the correct type?

Phil 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'm sure I was positioned at the country end of the down platform at Retford one sunny afternoon and all of those ran past me tethered on lowfits.

All green apat from a singleton orange example. I have vague recollections that someone told me green paint for the home market, orange for export.

Those Essendine men certainly followed the rule book when it came to roping tractors even though most of the products in this pic originated in Stamford.

M460798-Lowfit-TractorsEditSM.jpg.bacd8c5fe690411437b916a252a8a83b.jpg

P

We had a Lister elevator, as in the photo on our farm.  It must have been very close (or exceeding) the loading gauge at that elevation. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

RE the York South Shed(s), were there not two Roundhouses or am I dreaming that? 

The turntable tracks from one are retained at an R & R area  of the Panel Building, facing the south end of the station.

31A will know more about this and so I hope he picks up on this.

Phil 

Quite right Phil.   Well actually, in the triangle at the south end of the station at one time there were three roundhouses, but one burnt down in 1921!  The other two were built in 1852 and 1864, were used for locos until 1961 and survived until 1963.  There were also two straight sheds in this area, one of which became a Signal Fitting Shop and was demolished in 1936/7, the other was also demolished in 1963.

On the "Up" side of the line at the south end was a four road straight shed known as "Queen Street" shed; this was in the general area where the of the old railway museum was. This had been the boiler shop of York Locomotive Works and went out of use in 1933 but was used to store rolling stock (including Inspection Saloons) until it was demolished in 1974.  This would have been to the south of the remaining Locomotive Works buildings which can still be seen adjacent to Queen Street and are now among other things used as the Railway Institute Gymnasium.

L&Y locos based in York used one of the roundhouses until 1909 when they were moved to Queen Street shed; the Midland used one of the other roundhouses until Grouping, when they joined the ex L&Y locos in Queen Street shed until that closed to loco use in 1933, when they moved back across the line to the straight shed in the triangle.

The above is a summary and simplification of information in "Britain's Rail Super Centres - York" by Ken Appleby; I haven't mentioned the arrangements for the GN, GC & GE locos based at York!

The turntable and inspection pits of at least two of the three York South roundhouses in the triangle were unearthed when the Network Rail ROC (Regional Operating Centre(?)) was being built a few years ago, and the outline of one of them is picked out in paving outside the new building, and can be seen on Google Maps - I hope this link works:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.9559976,-1.0964509,140m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The same Google Maps view shows (if you zoom out) the remaining Loco Works buildings on the up side of the line, to the right of the car park and below the station platforms.  The long narrow building, now isolated below the car park, was also part of the works complex and I think was the building which housed the old railway museum, although I have read that it was knocked down when the present NRM opened!

Edit:  Having read further, the remaining building mentioned above wasn't part of the original railway magazine after all; in the 1960s it was used as the Road Motor Engineers' workshop and is now part of the NCP car park.  The old railway museum building was pulled down in 1979.

Edited by 31A
Correct my erroneous impression!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve. I remember the sight of those Roundhouses on approach to York back in the late 50s and early 60s when I used to travel from Plymouth to Newcastle (and then by bus to Consett) and the one time on the ECML in 1962.  Sadly I only ever visited York to try a shed bash just the once, again from Plymouth, in 1964. Didn't have a Permit and only lasted about ten minutes before getting thrown out of 50A. There wasn't much on either. Hey ho.

P

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Not suggesting you could not see them Peter. Apologies for that. In the older kits I can't remember if the Top Hats were in the little wheel bag or somewhere else. I suspect Tony has a huge supply of spares if you need the correct type?

Phil 

Hello Phil

No apologies needed, I have been that busy that a lot of things seem to be missing until I discover them later :rolleyes: Anyway I will ring DJH and get some sent down.

Thank you for the re assuring response I just wanted to check I was not going totally mad.

Regards 

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, grahame said:

Have we done to death agricultural traffic? It's caravans that slow traffic in my experience. But turning to buses - railway modellers seem to spend an inordinate time getting and posing an appropriate bus on a bridge - we seem to get a lot driving abound here as the Brookland bus museum is very close. Here's a couple, photographed on the same day as the tractor, on the village rec:

DSC_3877.JPG.5a28831b3f0bba6df86b296f719d7030.JPG

And a Metrobus and Titan just along Byfleet Road toward Pains Hill roundabout:

100_1431.JPG.31f336e08c9cc3f54e87966efc3823f3.JPG

I'd like a couple of N/2mm Leyland Titans for my layout but there are none available RTP so I had a bash at trying to convert a DMS. Not easy and I wasn't very successful:

DSC_6133.JPG.92001b886147af50067c15a938ffcd83.JPG

DSC_6134.JPG.a3b2c02770e0f4ec9ca0023ea5cdd5b0.JPG

These supersize pics, now on RMweb, certainly are very cruel to close-up small scale modelling.

G

The model looks good for N gauge.

My first bus was T1000 but unfortunately due to circumstances it was sold on and got used for spare parts in the end.

Quite a unique vehicle in many respects for a London bus such as digital destination box on the front only as well as other stuff.

For those into technical stuff, the first batch was built with air brakes like all modern buses now, however these was returned to Leyland to be converted to air over Hydraulic brakes and subsequent batches built like it from new.

• RMweb Premium

BBishop has beaten me to it about the design of the 'Schools' class. 

'Repton' at the NYMR was a diffident performer until close attention was given to the valve settings, after which she became a 'really useful engine'.  She makes a fair old job of forging up the 1 in 49 with 6 on, far away from what she was designed for, but making a damn good job of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petrovich said:

All

Made a bit of progress last night on the A2 but there are no top hat bearings shown or in the box ! Do I need to supply separately as the axles do not feel a good fit or is that how it is meant to be when packing washers and wheel spacers are added ?

20190327_183107.jpg

You should definitely have bearings Peter,

PM me your address again and I'll send you a set.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

We had a Lister elevator, as in the photo on our farm.  It must have been very close (or exceeding) the loading gauge at that elevation. 

Tim

They are all Lister Blackstone implements built in Stamford.  The tractors are Allis Chalmers built at Essendine.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Re the A2, there were no top hat bearings in my A2 kit and even if there had been the holes were too small to accept either type I had in my stock.  My drawing also shows the same collection of washers.  My A2 chassis had been assembled but it was a bit of a mess with a couple of holes reamed out to deal with an out of square situation.  In the end I completely dismantled the chassis, rebuilt it and had a friend effectively line bore new holes that would take top had bushings.  I keep saying I will post a list of the things I found when I put the complete kit together.  Will try to get round to it later.   N.B.  Please bear in mind that my kit was a rather old kit so things may have changed.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all the contributors who have sorted me out with the location of the Midland Shed at York.  The original question was about whether or not a Jinty would have been at York.   I can't answer that directly but I have found my 1920's Midland Locomotive Allocation Book (Available from the Midland Railway Society.  This lives above my modelling bench and is one of my essential reference books.

In 1920 York had the following allocation.

2-4-0's 124, 191,192,196

4-4-0 2P's 399, 400, 401 & 402,

1F 0-6-0's 2617, 2618, 2619, 2620, 2715, 2716,   I think these were all Curved frame Kirtleys

2F's & 3F's  0-6-0's.  3238, 3286, 3455, 3470 & 3709.   The last one may be a 4F but I haven't got that book in the house with me.   I got the loco book when I went over to the shed to get some more firewood and it's cold out there.

So at the moment no mention of any tank engines.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was also at least one Jinty that received its crest and number in NE style on the tank, not the bunker,  IIRC after repair at Darlington.  I have a copy of one photo but can't post it for copyright reasons.  There's a few around the place though.

Edited by New Haven Neil
Putting an H in though!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Re the A2, there were no top hat bearings in my A2 kit and even if there had been the holes were too small to accept either type I had in my stock.  My drawing also shows the same collection of washers.  My A2 chassis had been assembled but it was a bit of a mess with a couple of holes reamed out to deal with an out of square situation.  In the end I completely dismantled the chassis, rebuilt it and had a friend effectively line bore new holes that would take top had bushings.  I keep saying I will post a list of the things I found when I put the complete kit together.  Will try to get round to it later.   N.B.  Please bear in mind that my kit was a rather old kit so things may have changed.  

Thank you for the reply.  Tony is kindly forwarding some top hat bearings and I have the workshop equipment to make them fit nicely so hopefully all will be well. I will post progress updates and hopefully will not have to dismantle as you have done.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grahame said:

Have we done to death agricultural traffic? It's caravans that slow traffic in my experience. But turning to buses - railway modellers seem to spend an inordinate time getting and posing an appropriate bus on a bridge - we seem to get a lot driving abound here as the Brookland bus museum is very close. Here's a couple, photographed on the same day as the tractor, on the village rec

Very nice Grahame - Yus I think buses is good! Fits in with Tony's recent road vehicle parade.

Here's one of mine, well 2 actually and makes a difference with people.

buses-hornseyroad.jpg

Edited by Kier Hardy
Edited the first time because there were too many ss, and edited the second time to apologise for the cobweb on the windscreen wiper.
  • Like 17

8 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Very nice Grahame - Yus I think buses is good! Fits in with Tony's recent road vehicle parade.

Here's one of mine, well 2 actually and makes a difference with people.

buses-hornseyroad.jpg

Nice. LT Daimler/Leyland Fleetline DMSs - they set the location and era very well and are essential for urban 70s to 90s layouts.

I've got some in N/2mm which are detailed (with etched door and windows) and repainting Honk Kong ones including a white top B20 variant with other still to finish;

DSC_2950.JPG.8fc064475296ae5cadce3106350df032.JPG

Edited by grahame
  • Like 9