Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

It wasn’t actually that difficult, I thought it would be much harder. 

I bassically scrapped the BR sturgeon bogies for LNER standard ones, then hacked and sweared at the solebars until all the extra bits came off and filed and cleaned them up to represent what they looked like in the 30’s. I had Peter Tatlows LNER wagons propped right next to me and I just observed and hacked for a good 20 minutes. Sturgeons had 4 small doors instead of 2 big ones, like the Dolphins, so I just scrapped the doors all together and am modeling them without the doors all together, laziness? The doors were often left at depots anyway. The Dolphin wagons also had fixed ends instead of dropped ends, so I just scratchbuilt some ends out of plasticard and there we are an LNER Dolphin wagon from a Cambrian Models BR Sturgeon. 

For the second one I’ll kit bash I’m going to do a more detailed version of the build as I’ve been asked about a practical article for BRM. So, if it turns out alright I’ll pass along the idea to Howard and see where it goes. 

Hope that all made sense. 

Good morning Jesse,

thanks for the information on your Dolphin, it looks very good. I know there was at one time a brass kit, long since lost, it's a project I would like to try myself. Love the ex NER XB, one of my favorite vehicles, I have a pair. They were still active around the GC section and other areas well into the 1960's. Three in particlar pop up in photographs all the time, as a Milk van, a stores van and in general services. I have attached a colour photo taken at Scarborough in 1938 as a colour reference, I hope it is of use. It also features a number of other wonderful NER designs.

P.S. A pair of softnosed pliers would soon sort out any kinks in the running board.

C7 706 D49 258-Scarborough-1938.jpg

Edited by Headstock
ADD P.S.
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Fortunately most of it is in long, straight runs, but there is an awful lot of it and the knitting extending from the Box is daunting.

Something there is better than nothing,

IMHO I doubt if there are enough of us bothered about, or understand the intricacies of, total mechanical and prototype fidelity of the runs. That said, there will always be one!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Time for another moan! 

Has 'plethora' become the most misused word in our language today?

I've just been subbing/proofing four articles and it's appeared in each one. The writer (I assume) in one case wishes to state an 'abundance' of material/things, as in the availability of drawings, documents, photographs, etc, etc, on the Internet today, all invaluable to model makers. Yet, he uses 'plethora' instead. Another refers to the signage/information on a model's flanks as a 'plethora' of such stuff, when, in fact, all the signs are on the prototype. 

Do these writers not know that by using 'plethora' they are, in fact, conveying exactly the opposite of what they wish to express? Obviously not. 

My dictionary defines the word (in part) as a 'morbid condition', and 'unhealthy repletion'. Hardly complimentary! 

Rant over - back to making more point rodding..............

Sorry Tony.

How about the misuse of decimate by many people?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Ah, Andrew, one of my favourite pictures.  Most especially for the replacement (black) splasher on the Z.

Morning Jonathan,

yes, the black splasher is a nice little touch. My Father always said that the LNER started painting carriages and NPC's a much brighter, richer shade of brown just before the War. I wonder if the carriage behind the Z is what he meant?

Edited by Headstock

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Jesse,

thanks for the information on your Dolphin, it looks very good. I know there was at one time a brass kit, long since lost, it's a project I would like to try myself. Love the ex NER XB, one of my favorite vehicles, I have a pair. They were still active around the GC section and other areas well into the 1960's. Three in particlar pop up in photographs all the time, as a Milk van, a stores van and in general services. I have attached a colour photo taken at Scarborough in 1938 as a colour reference, I hope it is of use. It also features a number of other wonderful NER designs.

P.S. A pair of softnosed pliers would soon sort out any kinks in the running board.

C7 706 D49 258-Scarborough-1938.jpg

Well if you like the second one I do, I’ll be happy to make you a couple, if your happy with the outcome of the second one as the first was really a “hope it works”. The second one is a “I know it works”. I’m sure we could work something out. 

Lovely photograph, the variations of the teak are wonderful, the NER leading van behind the D49 (is it?) is practically brown. 

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Well if you like the second one I do, I’ll be happy to make you a couple, if your happy with the outcome of the second one as the first was really a “hope it works”. The second one is a “I know it works”. I’m sure we could work something out. 

Lovely photograph, the variations of the teak are wonderful, the NER leading van behind the D49 (is it?) is practically brown. 

Jesse,

the XB is most certainly very dirty. There is a tale in the telling with regard to teak. All the carriages in the photo are painted, the one behind the D49 and the two Clerestories to the extreme left are in painted teak. This effect was so realistic that it was hard to tell from the real thing. On reading through various traffic committee minutes up at the NRM, with regard to liveries, it becomes clear that the practice of painting all of the LNER's non teak carriages and NPC's in simulated teak was not sustainable. Plain brown became a substitute, this was mixed on site and was described by my Father as sludge brown, not far off the appearance of the XB in the photo. He recalled seeing NER stock at Leeds and York in a mix of painted teak and plain brown in the mid to late 30's. Back to the minutes again, some concern was shown by the LNER with the regard to the unpleasant appearance of some of the painted stock, as a result a new gloss paint was ordered in, of a brighter, lighter shade than that previous mixed and applied, I wonder if the carriage behind the Z is so painted. I don't KnoW how widely this was applied before the War but my Father remembered it distinctly because it was such an improvement on what he was used to. I believe this was the paint style Used on the long wheelbase CCT's built in the late thirties.

Back to the minutes and liveries again for the sake of interest. It was agreed with the other big four and the RCH, that the practice of painting a large NE, LMS etc, on the sides of wagon sheets should be discontinued from 1928. The sheets where on a three year turnaround in terms of rebranding and maintenance, by the late thirties this style, so familiar in the twenties, would have been extinct, with the exception of those sheets that mysteriously disappeared.

Thanks for the offer on the Dolphin but it's a project I fancy doing myself. I shall be most interested to see what you do with Dolphin MK2 though.

Edited by Headstock
some correction due to fighting crap software
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As an indication as to how long the making and installing of LB's point rodding, I've just taken this picture of the stuff being weighed-down while the superglue sets. 

I started making this run last evening, and completed it (so far) 20 minutes ago (after working on it all day). 

I'll leave the glue to set overnight. It's a viscus superglue which doesn't seem to 'grab' instantly. Final painting will take place tomorrow.

1291747520_morepointrodding12.jpg.c8353a3b4bd29966a8e45f629b214a4d.jpg

Old fashioned scale weights are most-useful, as are odd tools, etc, for holding the stuff down. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

As an indication as to how long the making and installing of LB's point rodding, I've just taken this picture of the stuff being weighed-down while the superglue sets. 

I started making this run last evening, and completed it (so far) 20 minutes ago (after working on it all day). 

I'll leave the glue to set overnight. It's a viscus superglue which doesn't seem to 'grab' instantly. Final painting will take place tomorrow.

Old fashioned scale weights are most-useful, as are odd tools, etc, for holding the stuff down. 

Have you ever tried using an accelerator?

Doesn't arf speed drying time up into seconds - literally watch it dry before your eyes!

This is the one I use.

IMG_0976.JPG.11dabab0de3b27dfeb7cbdd479ca6df4.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, Headstock said:

Jesse,

the XB is most certainly very dirty. There is a tale in the telling with regard to teak. All the carriages in the photo are painted, the one behind the D49 and the two Clerestories to the extreme left are in painted teak. This effect was so realistic that it was hard to tell from the real thing. On reading through various traffic committee minutes up at the NRM, with regard to liveries, it becomes clear that the practice of painting all of the LNER's non teak carriages and NPC's in simulated teak was not sustainable. Plain brown became a substitute, this was mixed on site and was described by my Father as sludge brown, not far off the appearance of the XB in the photo. He recalled seeing NER stock at Leeds and York in a mix of painted teak and plain brown in the mid to late 30's. Back to the minutes again, some concern was shown by the LNER with the regard to the unpleasant appearance of some of the painted stock, as a result a new gloss paint was ordered in, of a brighter, lighter shade than that previous mixed and applied, I wonder if the carriage behind the Z is so painted. I don't KnoW how widely this was applied before the War but my Father remembered it distinctly because it was such an improvement on what he was used to. I believe this was the paint style Used on the long wheelbase CCT's built in the late thirties.

Back to the minutes and liveries again for the sake of interest. It was agreed with the other big four and the RCH, that the practice of painting a large NE, LMS etc, on the sides of wagon sheets should be discontinued from 1928. The sheets where on a three year turnaround in terms of rebranding and maintenance, by the late thirties this style, so familiar in the twenties, would have been extinct, with the exception of those sheets that mysteriously disappeared.

Thanks for the offer on the Dolphin but it's a project I fancy doing myself. I shall be most interested to see what you do with Dolphin MK2 though.

Interesting, very interesting. So technically speaking, on a LNER layout, if your teak is different, it’s more realistic, correct? Plus the weathering isn’t always the same. 

Not a problem at all, as I said, stay tuned for the second one, might crack on with it this weekend. 

• Like 2

On 03/04/2019 at 14:58, Flying Pig said:

Well I have read 1066 and All That and it was most definitely palfreys wot did the old king in. Or praps not. There is, I will admit, a certain amount of confusion from time to time in that volume. It might even be deliberate.

Maybe he was confused an

On 03/04/2019 at 14:58, Flying Pig said:

Well I have read 1066 and All That and it was most definitely palfreys wot did the old king in. Or praps not. There is, I will admit, a certain amount of confusion from time to time in that volume. It might even be deliberate.

Maybe it was a palfrey that William III  was riding, and which stepped on the little gentleman in the black velvet coat flinging him to his death and providing an Irish dissident toast for centuries.

Tone

50 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Interesting, very interesting. So technically speaking, on a LNER layout, if your teak is different, it’s more realistic, correct? Plus the weathering isn’t always the same. 

Not a problem at all, as I said, stay tuned for the second one, might crack on with it this weekend. 

Yup.

If you turn out to be a great master Dolphin wrangler . . . . . . .

2 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Good evening Tony,

I've finished the NER C8 sleeper wagon you gave me. I'll bring it along to the Ely show as well as a few other bits I've made recently.

261439096_IMG_E24081.JPG.a3e70c10a1a73a53abd37a38cce6228e.JPG

Jamie

What a cracking job, Jamie,

And you're still a schoolboy. There's many out there old enough to be your grandfather who'd be proud of this if they'd made it!

This is exactly what this thread is all about - personal modelling, self-reliance and a wish to make something, not just open boxes or ask others to do things for you. You've made my day (again)! 

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

A question, please?

I'm writing some more stuff for another forthcoming bookazine from Irwell on the BR blue period. 

Question(s). What did Jenkins of Retford make, please? 

What are the long bogie tank wagons called, which don't seem to have a separate chassis, please? 

That's it. Many thanks in anticipation. 

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Have you ever tried using an accelerator?

Doesn't arf speed drying time up into seconds - literally watch it dry before your eyes!

This is the one I use.

IMG_0976.JPG.11dabab0de3b27dfeb7cbdd479ca6df4.JPG

That's very kind, thank you.

Actually, I'm quite happy that the superglue I used sets slowly. It gives me time for any adjustment, especially for the likes of fixing down point rodding. I apply glue to the base of the stools, weigh it all down, wait about a quarter of an and then check. That way, I can move it if needed, because the glue (while beginning to set) still allows just that touch of adjustment. 

Once happy, it's leave it overnight.

Speaking of superglue, the stuff I used (Roket) cost me over £5.00 (and it's already less-runny than it was, even though I haven't yet used half of the container - which means it'll just solidify). I was shopping at our local garden centre the other day, and they had various grades of superglue, for under two quid a bottle. Not quite as much, but just as good, and if it goes too viscous (as all superglues seem to over time), I won't have wasted money. I also bought some superglue from Boyes in Grantham; again, really cheap in comparison and just as good. 

I know some advocate keeping superglue in the fridge, but that's in the kitchen, and, as such, is a place of mystery to me! 

Finally, why is the bond between the glue container and its top stronger (much, much) than the dispenser's bond where it fits into the container? 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

What are the long bogie tank wagons called, which don't seem to have a separate chassis, please? 

From the JND Technologies website:

"Jenkins of Retford (founded 1896) and Newell Dunford (founded 1892) are internationally recognised names in the field of rotary drying technologies and other processing equipment".

Were those bogie tanks known as "frameless"?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Jesse,

using your XB as an example and based on the photograph, the livery looks like the 'sludge brown' I mentioned up thread. I was told by an old hand that this was a mix of red oxide and wagon gray, either way, and perhaps because the paint had a tendency towards chalking, the colour, described by those who saw it, was best represented by the colour of milk chocolate. The paint finish was matt and then varnished. Because it is a painted finish rather than varnished teak, the best way to wheather it would be as you would any goods wagon. Ie washes and dry brushing as oposed to a glaze on fresh teak or a scumble on a dark finish, though the latter works well at representing chalking.

Edited by Headstock
added detail
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hollar said:

Maybe he was confused an

Maybe it was a palfrey that William III  was riding, and which stepped on the little gentleman in the black velvet coat flinging him to his death and providing an Irish dissident toast for centuries.

Tone

William actually broke his collar bone in the fall, consequentially dying of pneumonia.  By the by, the nag was called Sorrel.

Bill

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A question, please?

I'm writing some more stuff for another forthcoming bookazine from Irwell on the BR blue period. 

That's it. Many thanks in anticipation. 

Long chassis less bogie tanks were called 100ton GLW (gross laden weight) tanks when first introduced but since the mid 70s have been called by their TOPS code TEA.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I know some advocate keeping superglue in the fridge, but that's in the kitchen, and, as such, is a place of mystery to me! 

It’s the big white thing that makes a weird noise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 7