Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

4 hours ago, KNP said:

Point rodding can really transform the appearance of a layout as can be seen looking at before/after pictures of LB.

It certainly did on my layout and mine was retrospectively fitted as well, but I took the simpler route and used Wills.

For what it's worth here is how I painted mine, sounds complicated but wasn't really but then I didn't have the quantity you have!!!

A base colour of Lifecolor Roof Dirt

Vallejo Medium Grey various number of wash coats (and not to particular in wash density) to get variation

Lifecolor Weathered Black for rollers, cranks, arms, pulleys .

Vallejo Oil & Grease dabbed on around moving joints to give a tonal variation.

A quick picture to give an idea of what I'm on about.

1848.jpg.9e3f6651cac4c8c55b594fd2fff04219.jpg

Hope it provides some 'food for thought'...?

That is really superb I am gobsmacked (not a word I would use normally).

Regards

Peter

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

With or without the fifty quid?!!

Mike.

Without, at the moment.  I subscribe to the old fashioned print version of BRM, though I await with interest re: the hinted-at future ‘gold’ developments for dinosaurs like me...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, timbowilts said:

Tony, it may be a sketch-book impression, in your opinion, but to an ex-signalling engineer it looks superb.

Tim T

Thanks Tim,

That's quite a compliment.

I think what I was trying to convey was the different approach necessary to detailing a 'large' layout, compared with one which is smaller. Having looked at Kevin's Little Muddle, I must compliment him on some truly exceptional modelling. I'm assuming it's all his own work, which, if so, is even more creditable. 

His rendition of point rodding is wonderful, but there's a lot less needed on his layout than there is on LB. I would have loved to have been able to use the Wills 'ready-made' rodding, but it's just too big. Even if it had been the right size, just how many packets of it would I have needed? I really don't know. As it is, my consumption of cast metal stools, etched cranks/compensators and brass wire is substantial. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

No photos to show, but I can actually claim to have done some modelling today, in and around domestic duties.  My three Lima "Westerns" have all changed identity, thanks to a part-used sheet of SMS transfers picked up at a show for 50p.

Western Enterprise in Desert Sand has become, err, Western Enterprise but now with D1000 cabside numbers (Lima numbered it D1023 for some reason);

Western Gladiator in Maroon has become Western Firebrand;

Western Renown in Blue has become Western Centurion ('twas to have been Western Ambassador as one of the last survivors in service, but I damaged the transfers).

All still need extra front end detail, the terrible couplings replaced and a few paint and weathering tweaks, so hopefully over the Easter holidays I'll get to finish them off.  I know many will wonder why I would persist with Lima models instead of more modern equivalents, but "Enterprise" in particular is a treasured item I've had since about age 10.  Buying new ones now and opening boxes (never mind parting with about £250 for the three) will never be the same.

Thanks to all the RMWebbers for the inspiration!

Rob

Edited by Northmoor
Name missing!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Forgive me again, Mike,

But what's 50 quid got to do with anything here? 

Once again, puzzled of LB!

RMWeb announced a new Gold membership level this week.  It costs about £50 a year, and gives you subscription to the digital magazine and some other bits and pieces.  There’s a thread about it, started by Andy, that has triggered some debate and mixed reactions.  Gold members are identified by a medallion below their avatar, you may have noticed a few have already appeared in this thread.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Adding point prodding to Chapel en le Frith was tedious but it does make a big difference as does the addition of the signal "wire" post and fittings.

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What was the common practice for point and signal control where a section of curved track was involved?  This is probably a more common need on scale down models rather than 12 inches to the foot...  I recall seeing wire used for signal control, is there such a thing as curved rodding?

11 hours ago, Chamby said:

RMWeb announced a new Gold membership level this week.  It costs about £50 a year, and gives you subscription to the digital magazine and some other bits and pieces.  There’s a thread about it, started by Andy, that has triggered some debate and mixed reactions.  Gold members are identified by a medallion below their avatar, you may have noticed a few have already appeared in this thread.

Thanks Phil,

So that's what it was.

One of the chaps I used to work with was a Star Wars/Star Trek enthusiast. I've heard of these, but not much more (the films, not the enthusiasts). During lunchtimes he used to log-on (legitimately) to various sites concerned with these, and post on them. Apparently, the more posts you made, the more you were 'promoted'. I looked (by invitation) with astonishment, because he was rapidly being promoted to lieutenant (and beyond) dependent on the number of posts he made. 'Fleet Commander' seemed to be his ultimate goal (goodness knows how many posts that required). I thought it was complete tosh! 

Thank goodness there's no such thing on here, otherwise it might lead to puerile and repetitive postings. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

What was the common practice for point and signal control where a section of curved track was involved?  This is probably a more common need on scale down models rather than 12 inches to the foot...  I recall seeing wire used for signal control, is there such a thing as curved rodding?

As far as I know there was usually enough flexibility in point rodding to go round the relatively gentle curves on the real railway. There was also a limit of IIRC 200 yards beyond which the Bobby had too much weight of metal to move. Signals used wires. For a few points more than 200 yards from the box there could be a single rod that operated a lock release for a ground frame. I had one such on the exit from the cattle dock on Long Preston. I think there was only a limited movement needed. Signal wires could I believe go for up to half a mile

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Chamby said:

I think any 'straight' rodding would have a natural 'curve' where necessary, Phil,

A glance at the pictures I posted yesterday of my progress with point rodding on LB will reveal that there is a very long curved section needed adjacent to the Down slow as it runs alongside the platform. As I make this, I'll ensure it follows that generous curve (easier to make in shorter sections). 

You're right, that on many model railways with 'too-tight' visual curves there will be a potential problem with regard to installing 'curved' rodding. I'm lucky that I don't have that problem on LB. 

The chaps who built Ballyconnell Road (which is literally a circle) depicting Irish Railways in 3mm FS, just made the rodding follow the curve. 

110468531_BallyconnellRoad03.jpg.b154d81a4bc8ce098a748f567cc04aa6.jpg

1125536405_BallyconnellRoad11.jpg.f28a19adcba200b72a4167f2ac0c3088.jpg

It looks convincing to me.

Of course, one huge layout not already mentioned in this discussion is Roy Jackson's magnificent Retford in EM. 

934240776_Retford1512.jpg.eae71ede6cf0bd2e6bd5a91aa1e41283.jpg

15079682_Retford1513.jpg.fa370ecafaf8ee4ac73e7ba9256123da.jpg

Andrew Hartsthorne is making the point rodding for this (using his own MSE components), as well as the signal wires. He's started at the north end, modelling it beautifully as it leads out from Tony Gee's wonderful model of Babworth 'box. 

364860594_overallview15A1.jpg.7c4f8691a0f8df3094b0d7446b173c83.jpg

Isn't Bytham bare without any point rodding (though the runs from the 'box are just visible)? 

Regards,

Tony

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The new Museum display relating relating to our Heritage Lottery project is now open to the public. For the past year I have been collecting the oral memories of those who knew and used the line between Weymouth and Portland. This film, from the Windrush collection is of the final special trains after which the line closed in 1965. It has been edited with soundbites from the project overlaid on top as for the most part the film is silent. Hope it is of interest.

It is my belief that memories such as these are a crucial part of our history, a social rather than technical history. Imagine if we could collect all the memories on RM Web, what an archive that would be and with digital recording and editing tools easy to do.

What has been a surprise is that I created some simple models for the museum using renumbered rtr locos with screw couplings and relevant hoses added to buffer beams and these have been very well received. 02 tank 30177 hauled the last scheduled passenger train in 1952 (Kernow), 7780 (Bachmann) was photographed a number of times on the line and 41324 (Bachmann) hauled the final specials at the Portland end (they were top and tailed) and was fired by Denis Turner who contributed a superb interview to the project along with other members of his family. All I did was renumber them, they are not Museum standard exhibits in my opinion. They have been placed on small lengths of the new style Peco track on stained wooden plinths. A simple caption has been added. This is what the display that also includes Museum artefacts and the above film looks like in what is a very nice small museum.

IMG_20190324_111702311.jpg.42d60e4de58c88c876fb118eb44f4c68.jpg

IMG_20190324_105856453.jpg.de88cf3dc6725d48548b9abec83f1926.jpg

Hope you don't mind me going off topic, it does include some modelling. There are tentative plans to carry out a similar project on another Dorset branch line later in the year though that one is unlikely to be funded.

Martyn

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, mullie said:

It is my belief that memories such as these are a crucial part of our history, a social rather than technical history. Imagine if we could collect all the memories on RM Web, what an archive that would be and with digital recording and editing tools easy to do.

Totally agree Martyn, it is the stuff that isn't written down that will disappear without trace.

In a similar vein, I recently wrote a series of articles about the Rail Rovers my Dad and I did through the 1980s, usually a week in one region of the UK.  Going through my our old photos and notebooks, I found I could still remember where we went and even people we talked to 30 years ago; I was keen to get this down before I'd forgotten it all.

The articles will start to appear in the RCTS magazine later this year.

I would urge others to write stuff down and importantly, to tell their relatives (who will act as their executors) to NOT just throw photos away - there are photo archives who will take and in some cases pay for them.  Of course most of our railway photos will be just another shot of the train, but some will contain photographic evidence of something no-one else had recorded.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Totally agree Martyn, it is the stuff that isn't written down that will disappear without trace.

In a similar vein, I recently wrote a series of articles about the Rail Rovers my Dad and I did through the 1980s, usually a week in one region of the UK.  Going through my our old photos and notebooks, I found I could still remember where we went and even people we talked to 30 years ago; I was keen to get this down before I'd forgotten it all.

The articles will start to appear in the RCTS magazine later this year.

I would urge others to write stuff down and importantly, to tell their relatives (who will act as their executors) to NOT just throw photos away - there are photo archives who will take and in some cases pay for them.  Of course most of our railway photos will be just another shot of the train, but some will contain photographic evidence of something no-one else had recorded.

This project was supported by our County Records Office and when applying for funding I had letters of support from the NRM and York University so what you say is crucial, clearly some people are already starting to realise the importance of such records.

Last summer I recorded an interview with my 88 year old mother who grew up on a farm during WWII. It will be passed to the Essex Records Office when I get her to sign the paperwork. I sent an excerpt to our Dorset Records office, they did not know that farm workers were given a small amount of extra rations during harvest because of the even longer hours they worked. The type of information often not recorded in books. 

We can get back to modelling now. Sorry for the hijack but given the enormous amount of knowledge on this thread I believe it is relevant.

Martyn

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Chamby said:

As already stated - quite common for rodding to follow a gentle curve and Ballyconnell Road (a layout not to be missed at shows, it's lovely) demonstrates how it can be done and look really good on a model railway.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the distance over which points could be worked mechanically by rodding increased over the years (e.g. 350 yards by and since 1925).  In 1892 the maximum distance permitted for facing points was 180 yards while 300 yards was permitted for trailing points in mainlines and also for safety points (=trap points) in sidings.  The increase in distance allowed some closure and amalgamation of signalboxes and this happened at a number of places in the late 1920s and 1930s but of course things are rather different for the modeller who will get nowhere near a scale 350 yards of railway on most layouts.

Greater distances were allowed for points operated by power and also in the 1930s several of the Companies experimented with the continental system of working points by double wires instead of using rodding and this too allowed them to be worked at a greater distance (than 350 yards) from a signalbox.

Signal wire runs were also curved - no problem and of course the only limit they had on distance was down to human ingenuity and the skill of whoever had the task of working signals at long distances but signal wire runs of as much as a mile were not unknown and 1,000 yards was far from unusual for a mechanically worked signal (and not a bad pull when the wire was properly maintained and adjusted).  incidentally on most lever frames the ability to work the levers had little to do with strength and a lot to do with how you stood and balanced yourself when pulling the lever.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

".....the ability to work the levers had little to do with strength and a lot to do with how you stood and balanced yourself when pulling the lever."

Much the same as playing golf really!

• Funny 4

On 05/04/2019 at 20:24, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tim,

I'll keep that in mind.

However, many prototype pictures do show the rodding as uniform, monochrome grey.....................

787470493_prototypepointrodding01.jpg.23e4faf58dbb3521800e6511651b3f62.jpg

127795726_prototypepointrodding02.jpg.be0b7e0aaee0341051b29333987a7139.jpg

Red Leader, you've got a few miles of the stuff to install on Grantham!

1190243229_prototypepointrodding03jpg.jpg.0ef4db8fe5b189e663cef2bd4d4aaf2f.jpg

2075075084_prototypepointrodding04jpg.jpg.473bab0f6e2f49cbd75ea611a8c6013f.jpg

2031316396_prototypepointrodding05pg.jpg.c5d4ddf5c908d6ca2f2a300657052b97.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

Some lovely photos of Gresley A3 pacific's at work, also your photo of 60513 Dante on Little Bytham just stunning.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

Just to conclude the day...........................

I've just spent a wonderful time at the 2mm Finescale Association bi-monthly meeting near Retford, hosted by Laurie Adams. 

The mysteries of track making in this delightful scale were explained, and there were plenty of examples on show. 

Should you need to know anything more on point rodding, may I please suggest you acquire Laurie's own work on the subject, available through the Association?

1171953905_pointroddingbook.jpg.65c7fa90a54da8ba7446cd2cbe9fe844.jpg

May I please thank Laurie and all the members for a truly splendid and hospitable day? 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

.Should you need to know anything more on point rodding, may I please suggest you acquire Laurie's own work on the subject, available through the Association?

1171953905_pointroddingbook.jpg.65c7fa90a54da8ba7446cd2cbe9fe844.jpg

Thanks for the information, Tony. I've just ordered a copy. Usually, I only find out about this sort of thing after I have finished building!!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Some lovely photos of Gresley A3 pacific's at work, also your photo of 60513 Dante on Little Bytham just stunning.

Regards

David

That's very kind, David,

Though I should have made sure that DANTE's front coupling was hanging correctly first. There's also an unfortunate juxtaposition of chimneys as well! 

I built 60513, but it's really Ian Rathbone's painting which 'makes' it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

*snip*

Should you need to know anything more on point rodding, may I please suggest you acquire Laurie's own work on the subject, available through the Association?

A copy ordered here too. 

Has anyone tried the DCC Concepts working point rodding?  I haven’t seen it ‘in the flesh’ yet, but am anticipating that it might (of necessity) be somewhat over scale.  Though the prospect of having additional things move when a turnout is thrown does appeal... the existing point motor throw could be used to activate the rodding from the ‘wrong end’, rather than having the additional complexity of working rodding originating from the box.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Has anyone tried the DCC Concepts working point rodding?  I haven’t seen it ‘in the flesh’ yet, but am anticipating that it might (of necessity) be somewhat over scale.  

I've seen it - definitely over scale, and not cheap either... :(

• Thanks 1