Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Get Clive to do that.  

And have a swear box handy, as there'll soon be enough cash in it for a pie and a pint for every attendee.

Nah, I'll do the DCC bit and drone on for hours about two wires, to an empty room, whilst consuming the refreshments allocated for that class.

Yo.

U.P. Uranus Esq.

Edited by Mallard60022
Remove obscene comment about Decoders.
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Al

The DCC80 has a self latching relay. The temporary shorting out causes circuity switch the relay and change the polarity of the frog. Phil the Duck was using them on Seaton Junction and at times they were not changing the polarity. The day I tried to help I don't think we found out what the problem was.

I use the Gaugemaster GM500 which are the DC self latching relays with no problems, I have mounted them in my control panel so no more trying get to a switch attached to a point motor  in a hunched up, upside down position under the baseboards.

Not enough grunt through the power pipes Clive. I am only running in 1.2Amps at the moment and the loco's were consuming most of that so the DCC80s were not getting their fill. They are an OK Unit and were OK as a stop gap for me.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Apologies Tony for the hijacking, but it’s been driving me crazy.

Ive seen this rake come up multiple times in YouTube videos of The Gresley Beat and there is a distinctive photo of them in a BRM article. 

They are SR ballast hopper wagons and ballast brake vans hauled by an LNER locomotive. Jonathan and I have been discussing it on his thread and we can’t work out if they’re someone’s stock out on a run, but as I said it’s been seen multiple times, or there was a movement of this stock in the 30s. 

6E0704BE-8E21-427C-B6AD-DC2E8449075A.png.28ae883b326ee35827e117980545913f.png

A9DAD9F6-FBFE-410B-8884-F472568513B1.png.349f58cea45c1f8abb0ecf42300fea86.png

does anyone know anything? It’s been driving me insane. 

That's a typical Meldon set including Brake Jessie. Suspect you are correct in that it was a running session, however I suppose it could have been a contracted in supply of ballast for a large project? I now nothing about that era of the LNER.

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:32, Tony Wright said:

That's a good idea, Phil,

The Willoughby does do accommodation, and they have a suitable room. I'll make enquiries.

The weekend could be finished off with a running session on LB. 

What could be offered, I wonder? Loco-/coach-/stock-building? Painting and lining? Architecture? Scenery? Wiring? Certainly not DCC from me! 

I'll see what's possible, and how much it might all be.

Regards,

Tony. 

If people would be comfortable with arriving Friday evening at the Willoughby (not at your place) or early Saturday morning (say 09.00) at yours and staying over on two or even three nights at the Willoughby (or alternative accommodation in the area), then there could be one and a half full days modelling and then anyone able to stay on on later Sunday afternoon, then leaving or staying over, could take advantage of your kind LB running offer Tony? It would have to fair to you & MO though that there was a full time called at your place on the Saturday evening & Sunday. If you then chose to go to the Pub with anybody in the evenings, then fine.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

If people would be comfortable with arriving Friday evening at the Willoughby (not at your place) or early Saturday morning (say 09.00) at yours and staying over on two or even three nights at the Willoughby (or alternative accommodation in the area), then there could be one and a half full days modelling and then anyone able to stay on on later Sunday afternoon, then leaving or staying over, could take advantage of your kind LB running offer Tony? It would have to fair to you & MO though that there was a full time called at your place on the Saturday evening & Sunday. If you then chose to go to the Pub with anybody in the evenings, then fine.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I'm seeing the pub's proprietor on Thursday. I'll report back.

For my own part, if a weekend course did take place (probably next year with my current commitments), I'd want no personal fee, though donations to CRUK would be requested.

Speaking of CRUK, we're now almost at £3,000.00 in donations this year (including yours - many thanks) - and it's still just May!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, MarkC said:

Many thanks, Tony. I'll probably fit a High Level gearbox and the biggest motor I can fit into the beast when it gets to the top of the pile.

I suspect that you're right - the Hornby offering will have probably put the kybosh on the kit being produced, if indeed it was still being produced. They do still come up on eBay occasionally, of course.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark,

The arrival of the RTR Hornby L1 (in 2010) immediately killed-off Mike Russell's DMR etched kit for one. A pity, because almost all the work had been done, and the proving model looked beautiful. However, it just wasn't worth Mike spending some more cash to bring it to (effectively) a market for which there was no demand. I'd have loved to have built one.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

A workshop day / weekend sounds a great idea. I would really enjoy the chance to have a couple of days uninterrupted modelling time. Count me in if the weekend can work for me.

Where would all the soldering irons go? Perhaps convert the garage into a mini work room for the weekend?

Richard

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, richard i said:

A workshop day / weekend sounds a great idea. I would really enjoy the chance to have a couple of days uninterrupted modelling time. Count me in if the weekend can work for me.

Where would all the soldering irons go? Perhaps convert the garage into a mini work room for the weekend?

Richard

Hello Richard

Soldering irons? surely you would be attending "Clive's Plastic Bashing Session"?

I am prepared to do a session on plastic card modelling.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Not enough grunt through the power pipes Clive. I am only running in 1.2Amps at the moment and the loco's were consuming most of that so the DCC80s were not getting their fill. They are an OK Unit and were OK as a stop gap for me.

Phil

That was also my experience. I was running my whole layout on an NCE Powercab, and I had some problems with the autofrogs not firing properly. When I upgraded to a 5 amp system, they worked fine.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, richard i said:

Richard

The course wouldn't be at my house, Richard,

If I takes place, it'll be in the room in the pub, or even in the village hall.......................

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

That was also my experience. I was running my whole layout on an NCE Powercab, and I had some problems with the autofrogs not firing properly. When I upgraded to a 5 amp system, they worked fine.

Exactly as it was for me and it was Clive that almost solved that. I had no idea that the DCC80s were electro/mechanical.

He did get a reward of me not messing about with his train set!

P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Richard

Soldering irons? surely you would be attending "Clive's Plastic Bashing Session"?

I am prepared to do a session on plastic card modelling.

I really should be attending a course on electrics as that is my Achilles heel. Anything to do with electricity is just a complete mystery to me. I get confused by the articles. I then hand them to the misses who reads them once and laughs at how simple it all is. 

That though could be a very stressful weekend. 

Richard

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, richard i said:

I really should be attending a course on electrics as that is my Achilles heel. Anything to do with electricity is just a complete mystery to me. I get confused by the articles. I then hand them to the misses who reads them once and laughs at how simple it all is. 

That though could be a very stressful weekend. 

Richard

Hi Richard

When you are back in England I can go through basic sparks with you at your pace.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Richard, here are some pics of previous workshops. The first thXTENPT8S.jpg.14707b26c1d5defe572fcf94db43b54f.jpgis me explaining to participants about the arrangements for tea and cake and the others are actual shots taken during the course(s).

The workspace all ready for participants.

th7MB5UO4A.jpg.73bf0978e4623f2007b1e45118f30597.jpg

Soldering session

thNK3LXJ91.jpg.578f235157439c1008cbfbd339a83a25.jpg

Someone's  equipment for the sessions.

IMG_0003.JPG.6d79747330dad060087180df722e8c31.JPG

Class A electrickery and wiring effort from a pupil participant that had worked with Clive. As you can see you will have no bother sorting your wires and bendy bits.

Img_0036.jpg.9f14a92190a4b1b7aa268f51b8e0d89c.jpg

….and finally, the show and tell at the end of the course

625719537_RMLittleBytham42.jpg.47ebf8c141e1e6f8ea3ccd00074a319e.jpg.539b947bec9e0070418dfd576d2a869e.jpg

As you can see (courtesy of Mr W) the last picture shows that in a weekend, one can produce a neat little layout that passes muster. One or two things to adjust but hey, that will only take a minute or two.

Yu will love it mate. Any Course/Workshop involving Mr W will cure all I can tell you from several personal experiences.

All the best and I do hope to meet you whenever, if my Wardens let me out for a few hours.

Phil

I just got a very funny look from my colleagues with my laughing - I'm supposed to be staring at spreadsheets not this :D

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, richard i said:

I really should be attending a course on electrics as that is my Achilles heel. Anything to do with electricity is just a complete mystery to me.

One in, one out, one to ground.  And don't let the smoke out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Phil,

you must stop calling them Wardens, they are Nurses its just that they need to make sure your secure. Do they ever take you into Retford as it;s only just up the road from your place.:rolleyes:

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2