Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

One of the English clubs in the Europa Cup.  And hopefully winning on Wednesday night. 

The team that will hopefully be winning on Wednesday night did have a B17 named after it 2848... :P

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

This thread has been a very bad influence on me, I seem to have just acquired a second hand kit for an A4.    Too much time spent reading about kit building and the LNER...

It will be finished as Mallard on the 26th April 1948 when it hauled a Paddington - Penzance express (before failing on the return working the next day and being replaced by Seagull for the timed service).  

Once it arrives it will be given a dunk in break fluid and stripped down to its component parts before rebuilding.

Tony, I don't suppose that you have ever written an article on building the Wills / SE Finecast A4?  Are there any pitfalls to be aware of?  Thanks to our conversation at Bristol I remember that the tender is going to need to be modified.   I am dreading building that outside valve gear, but that will just make it all the more satisfying once its done. 

thanks 

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Anglian said:

Perhaps I go against the grain but I always thought the LNER naming policies were inspired. I thought many of the A3 were named after racehorses, was that not the case or was it the later A1s that were racehorse names? The Bongos – well I like them even if nobody else does. To me they are more interesting and engaging than Kings and Queens or Dukes and Duchesses et al.

The pronunciation that caught me out was the LMS Jubilee Galatea.

I thought the 'Schools class' was an odd choice of naming by the Southern but always liked their far more down-to-earth concept of locomotives bearing the names of humble villages, towns and urban districts served by the railway.

I wonder if the LMS could have come up with enough names for the Black Fives all with an association to 'black'. 

I have always loved the names of the King Arthurs. Just say Sir Dodinas le Savage and not make it sound French. Then look at Sir Colgrevance and not wonder who he was and where he came from?

Also, despite Tony's rather cool feelings about the GWR choices, how can we not be amused by Willey Hall or feel huge pride about  Earl of Plymouth or Sir Edward Elgar?  

Here is a little quiz for those that probably didn't get the opportunity to see many. Who can list the Bulleid West Country Class loco names that are the 'odd ones out' (does not include the Battle Of Britain examples); you could get 8. 

Phil

6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have always loved the names of the King Arthurs. Just say Sir Dodinas le Savage and not make it sound French. Then look at Sir Colgrevance and not wonder who he was and where he came from?

Also, despite Tony's rather cool feelings about the GWR choices, how can we not be amused by Willey Hall or feel huge pride about  Earl of Plymouth or Sir Edward Elgar?  

Here is a little quiz for those that probably didn't get the opportunity to see many. Who can list the Bulleid West Country Class loco names that are the 'odd ones out' (does not include the Battle Of Britain examples); you could get 8. 

Phil

7005 only became Sir Edward Elgar quite late on (1957). It had been Lamphey Castle when new in 1946. Castle names got moved around a bit, with two names each being carried by four different engines,.

By odd West Countries, do you mean the settlements not served by the Southern Railway? Westward Ho (did the nameplate have the !?) would be one example, although Bideford was close. Combe Martin and Boscastle are other examples.  Might have been difficult for the SR to have served Lundy. I would not count ones such as Tamar Valley or Blackmore Vale.  Or, are you thinking of the ones without crests?

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Anglian said:

Perhaps I go against the grain but I always thought the LNER naming policies were inspired. I thought many of the A3 were named after racehorses, was that not the case or was it the later A1s that were racehorse names? The Bongos – well I like them even if nobody else does. To me they are more interesting and engaging than Kings and Queens or Dukes and Duchesses et al.

The pronunciation that caught me out was the LMS Jubilee Galatea.

I thought the 'Schools class' was an odd choice of naming by the Southern but always liked their far more down-to-earth concept of locomotives bearing the names of humble villages, towns and urban districts served by the railway.

I wonder if the LMS could have come up with enough names for the Black Fives all with an association to 'black'. 

I also agree (naturally) that the LNER naming policy was inspired. 

All but a few Gresley A1s and A3s were named after racehorses, mostly Classic winners. Some were fantastic in my opinion - the likes of ROYAL LANCER, DIAMOND JUBILEE, BLINK BONNY, TRACERY, SOLARIO and so forth. However, PRETTY POLLY? Some must have seemed incomprehensible to non race-followers - FIRDAUSSI, LADAS (an acronym I believe) and GALOPIN for instance. 

Apart from the first one, all the other Thompson A2/3s were names after racehorses. DANTE and SUN STREAM are marvellous, but HERRINGBONE? Similarly, apart from the first one, the remaining Peppercorn A2s were also named after racehorses, as were several of Peppercorn's A1s. 

Fortunately, the ER carried on the tradition with its Deltics; all named after classic winners except ALYCIDON, with the only filly being MELD. CREPELLO was considered by many students of the turf to have been the greatest (flat) racehorse ever. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Jeez... if that valve gear should ever let go at that speed there'll be shrapnell embedded in every wall....

Ah, but it won't let go, Brian,

That's one thing I really make sure of in the locos I've built with outside valve gear.

Unlike some recent RTR examples, I've never had my valve gear come apart, even at the highest speed. Why not? Soldered fixing to the rear component. Never rivets!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

This thread has been a very bad influence on me, I seem to have just acquired a second hand kit for an A4.    Too much time spent reading about kit building and the LNER...

It will be finished as Mallard on the 26th April 1948 when it hauled a Paddington - Penzance express (before failing on the return working the next day and being replaced by Seagull for the timed service).  

Once it arrives it will be given a dunk in break fluid and stripped down to its component parts before rebuilding.

Tony, I don't suppose that you have ever written an article on building the Wills / SE Finecast A4?  Are there any pitfalls to be aware of?  Thanks to our conversation at Bristol I remember that the tender is going to need to be modified.   I am dreading building that outside valve gear, but that will just make it all the more satisfying once its done. 

thanks 

Rich

I have Rich,

In BRM, many years ago when I built two. 

I'll dig out some pictures tomorrow.............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

The ones not named after towns or cities, Phil?

DARTMOOR, EXMOOR, BLACKMORE VALE, TAMAR VALLEY, YES TOR, TAW VALLEY, EDDYSTONE, LUNDY?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Anglian said:

Mmm, let me see.

Black hole

Black pudding

Black head

Black Coffee

Black n' Decker

Black death

Black Betty bam-a-lam

and so on and so forth.

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

Still means nothing to me.

When  the B17 s were named after football clubs they were ones in the area served by the LNER. Despite the LNER having several stations in London, some London clubs, including Chelsea, were not included in the names chosen for the locomotives.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2019 at 15:22, Tony Wright said:

I was quite impressed with the sound, Al,

However, two things stood out as being incongruous in the scene. One, the incorrect lamp code (stopping passenger train), and, two, assuming it's a branch line terminus, why would a full coal wagon be departing? Picky, I know, but with such a high standard of modelling...............

Regards,

Tony. 

Points well taken, Tony.

Unfortunately even if we ran with the correct lamp codes for each locomotive and train, they'd be incorrectly displayed half the time since there's no way to alter them between a train arriving and departing. At the moment we can do a completely hands-off operating session - indeed at the Portsmouth show, since I was keeping a tally, there was only one instance when a loco needed to be given a finger prod, and we had zero derailments in the scenic section. That finger prod was near the end of the afternoon when I think we can agree that track and wheels may be a bit dirtier than at the start of the day. On the other hand, every movement on the layout is correctly signalled and we enjoy the discipline of trying to adhere to the correct use of signals at all times.

As for the loaded coal wagon, it could at a stretch originate on the layout as we have a private siding running into the layout from the right hand side, and I don't think it's been ruled out that there might be a small colliery at the end of that siding! However, in fairness, we haven't yet been using that siding at exhibitions due to space constraints. I tjhink Dave may plan to use it at RailEx, which will add a little extra operational variety.

Sorry to hear about your car incident, by the way, and all sympathy.

Al

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The ones not named after towns or cities, Phil?

DARTMOOR, EXMOOR, BLACKMORE VALE, TAMAR VALLEY, YES TOR, TAW VALLEY, EDDYSTONE, LUNDY?

Regards,

Tony. 

That adds up to eight. What about the places which did not have stations named after them? Westward Ho, Hartland, Lynmouth, Combe Martin, Eddystone (is that a place?), Shaftesbury, Watersmeet, Clovelly, Boscastle,  Brentor, Trevone, Saunton and possibly others?

Edited by robertcwp
Spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of LNER pacific names, the names given to three consecutive A3s (2579-81, later 60080-2) go well together.

Many years ago when I used to train accountants, I wrote a series of practice questions for the students using A3 names, including Trigo, Grand Parade and Solario. I stopped short of using Call Boy, Merry Hampton, Spearmint or Gay Crusader. Deltics and Warships used to feature quite a lot in my questions too. Much more recently, three Class 50s appeared in case studies for some learning in my current job.

When they were first named, the Class 87s had some good names recycled from the steam era, and not only LMS ones.

Somewhat spookily, the Pendolino that crashed fatally at Lambrigg was City of Glasgow. I had travelled on that unit on the same service on which it crashed not long before the accident.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When  the B17 s were named after football clubs they were ones in the area served by the LNER. Despite the LNER having several stations in London, some London clubs, including Chelsea, were not included in the names chosen for the locomotives.

Probably because Chelsea wasn't in the LNER's area of London. I suppose Everton and Liverpool counted via the Cheshire Lines Committee. Derby was somewhat peripheral but the Friargate Line was LNER (ex-GN).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Probably because Chelsea wasn't in the LNER's area of London. I suppose Everton and Liverpool counted via the Cheshire Lines Committee. Derby was somewhat peripheral but the Friargate Line was LNER (ex-GN).

I cannot recall if the LNER have running rights over the West London Railway, because it crosses the Thames next to Stamford Bridge football ground?

• RMweb Premium

I've always thought "Huddersfield Town" was a bit dubious as I don't think the LNER served Huddersfield directly, at least not over its own lines?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

There is a way of telling the difference between a gnu and a wildebeest.

You can't paddle a wildebeest.

(I'll get me coat...…..)

Speaking of which, what's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

You can't wash your hands in a buffalo.

• Funny 2

On 17 May 2019 at 15:22, Tony Wright said:

I was quite impressed with the sound, Al,

However, two things stood out as being incongruous in the scene. One, the incorrect lamp code (stopping passenger train), and, two, assuming it's a branch line terminus, why would a full coal wagon be departing? Picky, I know, but with such a high standard of modelling...............

Regards,

Tony. 

I understand it wasn't unusual for fully loaded wagons to be taken to the branch line terminus if it was necessary to shunt one of the yards on the branch from one direction only. Similarly, empty wagons might have been picked up on the outward journey if it made shunting more convenient. So it might be possible to have a train consisting of a mix of laden and empty coal wagons arriving at the terminus and returning without dropping any wagons off in the yard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Ah, but it won't let go, Brian,

That's one thing I really make sure of in the locos I've built with outside valve gear.

Unlike some recent RTR examples, I've never had my valve gear come apart, even at the highest speed. Why not? Soldered fixing to the rear component. Never rivets!

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony. Would it be possible to post some step-by-step pictures of valve gear construction/ hints and tips next time you are assembling some please?  I'm sure you would have the undivided attention of the entire Class...  :)

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, robertcwp said:

That adds up to eight. What about the places which did not have stations named after them? Westward Ho, Hartland, Lynmouth, Combe Martin, Eddystone (is that a place?), Shaftesbury, Watersmeet, Clovelly, Boscastle,  Brentor, Trevone, Saunton and possibly others?

A pedant writes: 

Westward Ho! had a little station on the Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway. Like the GWR it was never connected to the national network, though in this case it was because Bideford Council wouldn't let them run their line as a tramway over the river bridge.  Closed in 1917 because of the war, largely unlamented (like the West Clare Railway it was pretty well quicker to walk, I would guess).  You can still see the site of the station in Appledore.

Tone

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1