Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Russians had a class that had 11,000 identical locomotives in it and another class with 9,000.

Good luck finding names for those.  :)

Jason

I've got some time this evening...……………………….

P

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

'Crawley' was one of Stroudley's D1 0-4-2T (and another if the class rejoiced in the splendidly robust 'Effingham').

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/d1(lbsc)_class_dat.htmlhttp://www.semgonline.com/steam/d1(lbsc)_class_dat.html

Suppose, but I was groaning on about Bulleid Pacifcs………… that's why I was a bit (and not unusual for me) confused when Crawley popped up.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Wasn't the Leaders going to replace the M7s on that duty? You can't get much more modern looking than them.

It's a bit of a myth that they were designed for branchlines. They were too heavy for starters, weighing 130 tons and had a power rating that would have put them in the 5MT bracket.

Jason

I believe they were intended to replace the M7s on their original outer suburban heavy commuter duties, or at least such of them as were not to be electrified for a while.  The M7s were never really branch engines either, but had by BR days been cascaded on to all sorts of minor work, including push-pulls.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Fixed that for you - Black Adder goes Fourth ;)

... and for fans of the Fast Show: black!. Black!, BLACK Mother, black! ... now, now Johnny.

I'll get my coat

Edited by mattingleycustom
Poor spooling
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Tiny bit OT here Tony, but despite my being from that west country area and knowing a bit about WR loco's, I still did not realise until quite recent times that there were still some WR Tank engines being built in the mid 50s. More recently I think I read that the aged NER J72 design still produced several examples circa 1951 was it? 

Phil

That's right, Phil.

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I see the illustrious Mr Wright has been quoted by the BBC with regards to the show vandals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48348512

Thanks for that,

I spoke with a member of a BBC team this morning. My 'age' reference was with regard to the majority of MDMRC members' ages, though it was also applicable to many others who've had the life's work wrecked by the vandals. 

• Like 6

Here is D9018 Ballymoss at Doncaster on the 26 October 1968. Note the old water crane - I wonder at this time what was the last steam loco to use it - presumably a few years previously ?

2013-01-10-14-12-59.jpg.f19200c354df3cba2f3d98b4a8326276.jpg

Wonderful locomotives.

Brit15

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Russians had a class that had 11,000 identical locomotives in it and another class with 9,000.

Jason

Yedan

Dva

Tri

chetyre

pyet

shest

etc.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Anglian said:

Black Treacle

Black Witch

Black Sheep
Black Velvet

Black and Tan
Black Maria
Black and Blue

Black Pennell

Black Beauty (that's about on a par with Pretty Polly)
Blackbird
Black Heart

Blackbeard

Black Pearl

Black Widow
Black Country
Blackburn

Black Adder

Black Watch

but none beat your epic Black Pudding! How many Black Fives did they build, hundreds wasn't it?

More from the music world

Black Sabbath

Blackfoot

Black Night

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a bit more progress on my GWR outside-framed 4-4-0! It was going to be a Bulldog, but half way through I've had a swerve and I intend to complete it as a Bird. They were very similar to the Bulldogs, but had deeper outside frames. 

bird.jpg.88f34bba21f518fe32e81306cc6dc880.jpg

The City was completed without any alteration to the boiler details other than swapping the safety valve for a brass one, but on the Birds (and Bulldogs) the boiler bands and safety valve positions are different, so once the handrails were removed, the boiler has been sanded back to a smooth profile, ready for the reinstatement of new details. Before I get to that, though, I have to rebuild the boiler profile behind the new etched splashers, which are smaller than those on the City . There are great big cutaways in the Airfix moulding. I've started with the front set and will address the rear ones when I'm finished with these.  As can be seen, a start has already been made on filling in the gap in the lower boiler. Clearances are tight so I'm taking it slow and steadily, which is a lesson learned from the City! 

Al

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Wasn't the Leaders going to replace the M7s on that duty? You can't get much more modern looking than them.

It's a bit of a myth that they were designed for branchlines. They were too heavy for starters, weighing 130 tons and had a power rating that would have put them in the 5MT bracket.

Jason

Ah, but the locomotives requested by the traffic department were not supposed  to weigh anywhere near 130 tons.

Mr Bulleid seems to have got carried away.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

On 20/05/2019 at 20:13, Tony Wright said:

However, the photo of the Deltic which began this discussion was taken in 1962, before either the Class 86s or 87s were built. Did the earlier electrics run at over 100 mph?

HCB Roger's in "Transition from Steam" intriguingly says, when talking about the bogie design of the AL1 and AL5 classes says, "this type of bogie stood up well to 100mile/h running" which suggests regular running at this speed and of course the first AL1's were in service from 1959, well before the production Deltics.  Whether the WCML was up to continuous fast running that early I have my doubts about but as a small child I well remember being driven along the bit of the M1 parallel to the WCML where the crews were instructed to go fast and being effortlessly passed by the Electrics. There may be something in C J Allen or O S Nock's writings of the time which is more definitive but I don't have any of that to hand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Black One

Black Two

Another Black One

And Another Black One

Etc.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Easy.

Ivan I

Ivan 2

Ivan 11000

Boris 1

Boris 2

Boris 9000

Job done.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Here's a bit more progress on my GWR outside-framed 4-4-0! It was going to be a Bulldog, but half way through I've had a swerve and I intend to complete it as a Bird. They were very similar to the Bulldogs, but had deeper outside frames. 

bird.jpg.88f34bba21f518fe32e81306cc6dc880.jpg

The City was completed without any alteration to the boiler details other than swapping the safety valve for a brass one, but on the Birds (and Bulldogs) the boiler bands and safety valve positions are different, so once the handrails were removed, the boiler has been sanded back to a smooth profile, ready for the reinstatement of new details. Before I get to that, though, I have to rebuild the boiler profile behind the new etched splashers, which are smaller than those on the City . There are great big cutaways in the Airfix moulding. I've started with the front set and will address the rear ones when I'm finished with these.  As can be seen, a start has already been made on filling in the gap in the lower boiler. Clearances are tight so I'm taking it slow and steadily, which is a lesson learned from the City! 

Al

Ah, that's about as far as I got nearly 50 years ago converting an Airfix City of Truro to a 43xx Mogul. Filling the gaps behind the splashers defeated me completely as a teenager.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Here is D9018 Ballymoss at Doncaster on the 26 October 1968. Note the old water crane - I wonder at this time what was the last steam loco to use it - presumably a few years previously ?

2013-01-10-14-12-59.jpg.f19200c354df3cba2f3d98b4a8326276.jpg

Wonderful locomotives.

Brit15

I would have thought that quite a few diesels used that crane to top up the water tanks for steam heating...

Andy G

• Agree 4

Probably a good idea to call time on black words (rather like BR did with steam) otherwise you'll be blackballed and given black looks and lines to do on the blackboard.

Ooops, is that a black mark for me?

G

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Well I got my part built A4 kit yesterday, and set to work stripping it down last night.  It seems to have been built with a mix of solder and glue (the core of the body is soldered but some parts were glued on.)  One problem was that the back head had been fitted too far back (so it obscured the whole of the first side window and a gap was visible behind it looking through the front window.)  While trying to adjust the fit unfortunately the cab side broke off (which will get soldered back into position once I am happy with the fit of the back head.) 

Unfortunately I just cant work out how it is supposed to fit, especially as the kit didn’t come with any instructions (if any one could send me a scan of the chassis instructions it would be most appreciated, else I am cobbling it together from some Comet instructions + Tony’s photos)

It looks like material should have been removed from the rear of the backhead to get a good fit (marked in blue on the photos.)

Still annoyed with myself for breaking the cab side, after a glued part fell off I thought it must all be glue (so dunked it in boiling water for a while to soften before pulling to separate the parts.  The glued bits came off, but the solder stayed strong!)  On the plus side I can be confident that what is left is solid!

The body will be getting a bath of oven cleaner tonight to get rid of the crude coat of gloss paint and get back to bare metal along with highlighting any other areas which need work before I get started on the chassis.

Looks like it only has insulated wheels on one side, so will be added to the list of higher risk DCC installs…  At least there will be plenty of roof for a decoder!

Thanks 

Rich 

8C25A9EE-ED2D-4FA5-8E6F-8CD4A9A6CA54.jpeg

3657F25D-1BD9-474E-994E-FCD0C5A91269.jpeg

F22BEE21-AD9F-464E-97B7-AA1E45835F9C.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Friendly/supportive 3