Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Tony,there was no need to elaborate, I was just jesting.As you so rightly say a few waggles with the finger and all was well. It has been exceptionally wet just recently in Lincolnshire and that was clearly a factor.As for the A4 again a point not going across 100% but it did not spoil a lovely morning. I will tell Jean of your good wishes and hope next time to be able to stay longer.

Kindest regards,Derek.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I note in the Obituaries section that the name of that great modeller, Roy Jackson, is now present.

Roy died peacefully on Saturday evening, with his family and closest friends present. 

I'm putting this little piece on my thread because I think its more personal. 

What can one say by way of a tribute? He was a dear friend of mine for decades, and I consider him to be one of the greatest modellers of his generation. Though I knew of him from his Gainsborough Central days, I first got to chat to him at one Manchester Show where he, Geoff Kent and John Philips were showing High Dyke. I was transfixed, and saw nothing else of the show. I watched it for over a couple of hours and Roy engaged me in conversation. I complimented him and the others for such a great layout, but then had the temerity to point out that an A3 he'd made had the wrong dome. A moment passed, then I was effectively asked if I liked sex and liked travel? If so then f**k off! I immediately thought, here's a man after my own heart. We became instant mates. 

It was my privilege down the years to photograph his final EM Gauge masterpiece, Retford. I'd taken a few shots of Dunwich, again built by the fabulous trio, and also some of Geoff Kent's Blakeney and most recent Black Lion Crossing, for which Roy had built the pointwork, attended to some of the wiring and built some stock, but it's Retford for which he'll be remembered the most. 

What an heroic project. It took a man of great vision to conceive it, and even greater vision to embark on building it, some 25 years ago. That it's not completed is of no matter. It stands as a testament to a great modeller - a leader as well, because many others have contributed to Retford down the years, including (in a tiny, tiny way) me. He was an inspiration.

I saw him for the last time just over three weeks ago, and his conversation was typical. 'It's King's Cross, Tony; the end of the line!' His wicked sense of humour was still there, in spades!

1341417378_Retford1519.jpg.712f1a8070b9736508bf37fd4e3bc168.jpg

Potentially the greatest model railway ever made? I think so! This shot of Roy's Retford in EM was taken a few years ago, before both fiddle yards expanded. 

386687447_Retford1515A.jpg.0bd05e7f5f080e4a0cfd29a78bb8d2ee.jpg

This is a shot of the GN fiddle yard before it was expanded and filled with more trains. The HST was a visitor! 

1100363138_Retford28101103.jpg.b4028d1d7faed294be5c2c86e5a4df9a.jpg

North Junction at Retford, with the completed buildings made by Geoff Kent. Typically, Roy made the loco.

133804900_Retford28101104.jpg.bec5b0d40e7b95c24da7f1963ecb684b.jpg

And the south end, with still much to do - and still to do. What made Retford so personal to me was that it was my favourite trainspotting place, some 60 years ago. I could be one of the figures!

1345779152_RoyJacksonA1.jpg.b8567319bf0d862ecfd7e31e02be0ce2.jpg

And Roy's last loco. Still as good as any other. despite his failing faculties. All his Pacifics ran as 4-6-0s. 

739735593_RoyJackson9F.jpg.e75b011363752f397e9c1eb40cbfe663.jpg

It's my immense privilege to own a Roy Jackson-built loco. He made this DJH 9F in OO of all things, and I was presented with it by way of thanks for my having made a chassis (in EM) for one of Roy's locos.

Dsc_9558.jpg.3b7bf5ee334872f86745169f62b975d9.jpg

It was also a huge privilege to have him here from time to time, running Little Bytham.

RIP Roy.  

I saw on Facebook a couple of days ago someone mention that he had passed, but nothing else until I read your post, Tony. Whilst I never met him, his name certainly always commanded respect, and Retford is a legend in its own right.

RIP Sir, I have no doubt your name will be forever associated with top quality modelling.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PMP said:

Roy J, most definitely an inspiration! 

I think that sums it up very nicely Paul.

One of Roy's lessons for me was that Roy always said you had to do something, not just talk about it! How very true.

Most definitely a one off!

Pete

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Not knowing Roy personally, it seems inappropriate to post in the obituaries column. I only came across him once, at Wells, when he was assisting with Black Lion Crossing. He was explaining why he was wearing two pairs of glasses. His lasting legacy will be his wonderful modelling. RIP sir.

Stephen

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Tony

You very kindly hosted a visit by myself and two friends to Retford about a year or so ago, and although we were not known to Roy, he welcomed us and soon allowed us to "drive Retford" unsupervised.

The layout and his modelling are inspirational and I feel privileged to have been able to meet him and to see it.

I do hope that someone has given some forethought as to how his masterpiece might be preserved as a fitting memorial to Roy and to his modelling skills.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What a great shot!

Thanks for posting it. If it is 46242 (and I think it is), it can't be the late-'50s. In fact, it can't be after October 8th 1952. CITY OF GLASGOW was involved in the Harrow disaster on that date, and, when repaired (virtually renewed) she emerged with a 'Duchess'-style front platform, with the space ahead of the outside cylinders replaced by a continuous curved section of footplate and the deflectors extended at the bottom (unique for an ex-streamliner).

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited to acknowledge Steamport Southport's observation. 

It's an old photo of my dad's I've had for as long as I remember. Definitely at Rylands sidings though. Thanks for the date explanation, ties in with some other old photos I have, such as this one below, same location, same date ? (I don't know) - a couple of hundred yards north, splitting distant is for Boars Head Junction,  just by my house, and a Pendolino has passed while I type --- oh for the steam days though !!

1825144810_WHITLEYCROSSINGSUPERDNBDND.jpg.1836ee260677cc5ddd5468bb6f3d633f.jpg

Sorry to read about Roy though I didn't know him. We're all getting older by the day -  His Retford layout is superb. What becomes of such layouts when their maker passes on ?. I do not know,  we all will pass on one day, but what about our layout(s) ?, not like dad's photos above which are easily kept and passed on to future generations. 

R.I.P Roy - Retford - a superb location to model, I'm a WCML lad born & bred - just why does the ECML have such an over riding attraction to me, a Wiganer,  and so many others ?

Brit15

• Like 5

I first met Roy Jackson around ten years ago at a show. I recall how he asked questions to find out where I stood on various things and gradually opened up as we established a rapport based on prototypical train formations (and a mutual dislike of someone who shall remain nameless). I said I would try to find him copies of the Summer 1957 East Coast, GN and GC Carriage Workings, but I never did find them. Lots of others, but not those three. Several visits to 'Retford' followed (the final one being in June 2018) and Roy would occasionally phone me for a chat about something to do with carriages. An outstanding and truly inspirational modeller and a great character too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Can't believe it, Roy Jackson, It was a shock and a pleasure that day Tony when you said we were going to see Retford and it will be a lasting memory to me. Roy not knowing me, welcomed me like id known him for years, I think his first words he said to me were a few swear words about the cold and his age followed by a 'Hello, I'm Roy", such an excellent first impression, I loved it. Within an hour of knowing me we were deep in conversation and running trains, letting me take the reins while he sat back and spoke to you Tony. His layout was an inspiration, from the size to the detail. It was an absolute pleasure to meet him and I feel privileged to have been able to see Redford. 

RIP Roy Jackson

• Like 9

7 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Hi Jesse,

Off the top of my head I wouldn't know ,but as soon as this monsoon season here finishes I will go up there and have a look. I am guessing your stock is more appropriate for the Late 50's Early 60's period . If that's the case I will try and find someone who remembers if from those days. Just give me a heads up on the period and we can go from there.

I had a very enjoyable morning visiting Little Bytham in reality and in model form which is always a pleasure. Was offered the usual Mo hospitality but had to decline as my other half is not keeping too well at the moment. I could mention one or two small points, but suffice to say the layout was up to Sir's expected  high standard of operation. It really is a superb layout and the thing I really like is that Sir always gives credit where it's due to people who have made contributions to the layout.

Regards,Derek.

Many Thanks Derek, 

Its actually going to be set in the 1930's, so LNER, the good stuff!!!! But im sure not much would have changed in 10 years, thanks again. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I note in the Obituaries section that the name of that great modeller, Roy Jackson, is now present.

Roy died peacefully on Saturday evening, with his family and closest friends present. 

I'm putting this little piece on my thread because I think its more personal. 

What can one say by way of a tribute? He was a dear friend of mine for decades, and I consider him to be one of the greatest modellers of his generation. Though I knew of him from his Gainsborough Central days, I first got to chat to him at one Manchester Show where he, Geoff Kent and John Philips were showing High Dyke. I was transfixed, and saw nothing else of the show. I watched it for over a couple of hours and Roy engaged me in conversation. I complimented him and the others for such a great layout, but then had the temerity to point out that an A3 he'd made had the wrong dome. A moment passed, then I was effectively asked if I liked sex and liked travel? If so then f**k off! I immediately thought, here's a man after my own heart. We became instant mates. 

It was my privilege down the years to photograph his final EM Gauge masterpiece, Retford. I'd taken a few shots of Dunwich, again built by the fabulous trio, and also some of Geoff Kent's Blakeney and most recent Black Lion Crossing, for which Roy had built the pointwork, attended to some of the wiring and built some stock, but it's Retford for which he'll be remembered the most. 

What an heroic project. It took a man of great vision to conceive it, and even greater vision to embark on building it, some 25 years ago. That it's not completed is of no matter. It stands as a testament to a great modeller - a leader as well, because many others have contributed to Retford down the years, including (in a tiny, tiny way) me. He was an inspiration.

I saw him for the last time just over three weeks ago, and his conversation was typical. 'It's King's Cross, Tony; the end of the line!' His wicked sense of humour was still there, in spades!

1341417378_Retford1519.jpg.712f1a8070b9736508bf37fd4e3bc168.jpg

Potentially the greatest model railway ever made? I think so! This shot of Roy's Retford in EM was taken a few years ago, before both fiddle yards expanded. 

386687447_Retford1515A.jpg.0bd05e7f5f080e4a0cfd29a78bb8d2ee.jpg

This is a shot of the GN fiddle yard before it was expanded and filled with more trains. The HST was a visitor! 

1100363138_Retford28101103.jpg.b4028d1d7faed294be5c2c86e5a4df9a.jpg

North Junction at Retford, with the completed buildings made by Geoff Kent. Typically, Roy made the loco.

133804900_Retford28101104.jpg.bec5b0d40e7b95c24da7f1963ecb684b.jpg

And the south end, with still much to do - and still to do. What made Retford so personal to me was that it was my favourite trainspotting place, some 60 years ago. I could be one of the figures!

1345779152_RoyJacksonA1.jpg.b8567319bf0d862ecfd7e31e02be0ce2.jpg

And Roy's last loco. Still as good as any other, despite his failing faculties. All his Pacifics ran as 4-6-0s. 

739735593_RoyJackson9F.jpg.e75b011363752f397e9c1eb40cbfe663.jpg

It's my immense privilege to own a Roy Jackson-built loco. He made this DJH 9F in OO of all things, and I was presented with it by way of thanks for my having made a chassis (in EM) for one of Roy's locos.

Dsc_9558.jpg.3b7bf5ee334872f86745169f62b975d9.jpg

It was also a huge privilege to have him here from time to time, running Little Bytham.

RIP Roy.  

Superbly written Tony.

A lovely appreciation of a super modeller and an even better friend.

Tony Gee

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 2

As always Tony you have eloquently put what others are thinking. I only met Roy a few times but both his modeling and his personality made an impression on me. 

I hope there is a plan for Redford so his legacy can live on as a memorial to his outstanding talent. 

My condolences to all who knew him much better than I. 

Richard

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my favourite people in the hobby. I would always look forward to seeing him at Expos and having a laugh. I loved his no nonsense approach and the way he went about things in EM gauge. Learned so much from him. I was lucky to be invited to see Retford last year. I really am gutted.

7F04F054-2591-4E2E-AA49-0A91DDB815E0.jpeg.2e71920ddbba2dabcec498c7792d7d2e.jpeg

• Like 6

I have to say some of these comments about Roy Jackson are heartfelt. I never had the opportunity to meet him or see Retford however I have read many of the articles and it is a definite loss to the hobby. As has been said a number of times it is the way an individual touches others that is remembered. 

I hope there is a way to hold onto Retford and have others enjoy it.

i would like to offer condolences to all who know the man.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very shocked to hear the sad news about Roy this morning. Although I didn't know Roy as well as many on here,  I always made time to listen and talk to him whenever he appeared at exhibitions and he always had something interesting to say.  I was fortunate enough to visit Retford on a few occasions. In Retford, Roy and his team created a masterpiece. But for me it's his wit and character that with remain in my memory and I will miss the opportunity to chat with him - something I always looked forward to. RIP Roy, You'll be greatly missed.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Though others knew him more intimately, and for longer, I count it a privilege to have been able to call him a dear friend. The phone would go and I'd answer it to hear 'The Jackson here, what have you been writing about now? Which carriages go where in this train? When are you coming to take some more pictures? Will you give me so and so's phone number? The last-mentioned caused me to feel the wrath of his tongue. 'I need to know some carriage workings, and I'm told this bloke (not Robert Carroll I hasten to add!) knows everything about LNER coaches - what's his number? I pleaded with Roy that I must not give it to him. He persisted, until I succumbed, and gave him the number. Some three hours later, I received one of the most outraged phone calls ever from the great man. 'You never said what he was like!' 'I did, I did!' said I. 'Yes, but you didn't tell me enough! I've only just got off the phone from the ******!'  My parentage was questioned and dark threats were issued. However, it finished with us laughing like drains.

Tony,

That's a great anecdote about Roy and I know exactly who you put him in touch with. I was extremely saddened to hear the news when I read it this morning. But reading this, and your earlier tribute, has made me smile and brought back fond memories of the, too few, times I chatted with Roy.  He will be sadly missed but never forgotten.

Morgan

• Like 4

I visited Roy Jackson twice-once to see Dunwich, with John Phillips, and much later to see Retford, with Geoff Kent.  

The friendliness and hospitality as they went out of their way to entertain and explain was outstanding, and their readiness to share their knowledge most impressive.

Roy said that one day Retford would probably be broken up, much to my consternation.  I suggested that a suitable home would be the Science Museum, as a historical diorama and teaching aid for future generations.  R.I.P.

• Like 1

Tony 

Great words about Roy Jackson, one of the most highly regarded modellers I have ever met.  I have been most fortunate, even though I live on the other side of the world, to have visited Roy three times (2008, 2013 and 2017) on my visits to the UK. Having the privilege to operate Retford is something I'll never forget. Driving an A4 with a heavy train south through Retford took some practice.

I was also most fortunate in being able to take others from Oz with me on two of those occasions. The last time in 2017, Roy had had some form of back surgery the day before we visited but he still welcomed us even though he was in some discomfort. He told me then that Retford would never be finished.

I can only hope that it is possible to save Retford - one of the most inspirational layouts I've ever or am likely to ever see.

RIP Roy.

Andrew  

Edited by Woodcock29
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1