Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

41 minutes ago, Clem said:

Thanks for the kind comments, Tony. It is coming together but it seems to be taking forever! 

Yes it's a Nu-Cast kit although I think the chimney is a Craftsman if I remember correctly. It was one of the first kits I built in the late '70s. A really good kit for a beginner - substantial but no outside valve gear. I've always loved the A5s. I really wish one had been preserved. Do you know if SEF have plans to re-introduce it?

I don't know if it's on SEF's 'horizon' yet, though it could be. I'll enquire. 

Dave at SEF, along with Branchlines, has acquired all the ex-Nucast range of loco kits. They were part of the Autocom range, along with those ex-K's ones and umpteen others. Obviously, there is no point in making new moulds and new chassis for the likes of the B1, V2, Q6 (actually, Q5 and a half!), J27, G5, nor any other type made as a kit by Nu-Cast when there is now an RTR equivalent, or one under development. The A2/1 might be a possibility, of course. Years ago, when I helped DJH with the development of their A2/2 and A2/3 kits, the A2/1 was mooted. However, such were the fundamental differences between the four 'orphans of the storm' and their slightly bigger cousins, that it was shelved.

Just how many RTR locos are under development is anyone's guess and is open to conjecture. What it does mean is that future loco kit development or re-introductions are now more limited. Who'd have thought, for instance, that so many pre-Grouping types would now be available (or to be available) RTR in OO? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Evening Tony,

I've been doing loads on the J6 lately and this is where I'm up to now:

626004696_IMG_30421.JPG.fbafa5e22c14a44ff8786d7b85081161.JPG

It's going to be 3591 of (I think) Hitchin shed.

The chassis is almost working; I'd got to the stage where I was testing it under its own power but I had a few motor issues and in all my fiddling to sort the issues I lost the grub screw for the gearbox. I've emailed High Level Kits for a replacement so hopefully I'll be able to continue testing soon. I got to where I am now in the space of about 3 weeks and the body and tender are now finished apart from adding small details and cleaning up excess solder, etc.

Regards,

Jamie

• Like 14

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Has the A5 just arrived, Clem? 

Or has the loco just buffered up to the train? 

Either way, where's the lamp(s)?

A prototype for everything? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony and Clem,

I too haven't posted on here for ages, but follow this thread as much as I can, though it is sometimes difficult, being so popular that there is often more than one page to digest.

Regarding the photo at Derby Friargate : well I have fired on that job from Grantham, and it brings back cherished memories. I can't believe it's come far like that (no lamp), certainly not all the way from Grantham. Clem seems sure the train has just arrived, and not run round yet. So can It  be the fireman has removed the lamp on arrival and put it on the top bracket t'other end ready for going back? I can't remember what we used to do, but I'm sure no one would mind such goings on, just in station limits. I remember that engine, and '9814 when I started as a cleaner at Grantham, but never fired on them. I went down on loan to KX for two years and, on return the A5s were no more. We usually had L1s on the Derby jobs by then, and bloody rough they were at speed ; felt as though they were shaking themselves to bits, and us with them ! Sometimes we had a B1, which was a treat to work on, especially with only three coaches. We used to turn the engine on a triangle somewhere near Friargate, but exactly where , I can't remember.

Thanks for the photo. Happy days .

Regards, Roy

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ROY@34F said:

Hi Tony and Clem,

I too haven't posted on here for ages, but follow this thread as much as I can, though it is sometimes difficult, being so popular that there is often more than one page to digest.

Regarding the photo at Derby Friargate : well I have fired on that job from Grantham, and it brings back cherished memories. I can't believe it's come far like that (no lamp), certainly not all the way from Grantham. Clem seems sure the train has just arrived, and not run round yet. So can It  be the fireman has removed the lamp on arrival and put it on the top bracket t'other end ready for going back? I can't remember what we used to do, but I'm sure no one would mind such goings on, just in station limits. I remember that engine, and '9814 when I started as a cleaner at Grantham, but never fired on them. I went down on loan to KX for two years and, on return the A5s were no more. We usually had L1s on the Derby jobs by then, and bloody rough they were at speed ; felt as though they were shaking themselves to bits, and us with them ! Sometimes we had a B1, which was a treat to work on, especially with only three coaches. We used to turn the engine on a triangle somewhere near Friargate, but exactly where , I can't remember.

Thanks for the photo. Happy days .

Regards, Roy

Hi Roy. Some lovely memories there, Roy. I remember travelling back from Grantham behind an L1 on several occasions and always felt we were flying like the wind, particularly on that first section before Bottesford. It's quite possible you were firing when I was travelling behind!  Your explanation  of the lampless A5 does sound the most plausible. Putting the lamp on the front in readiness for a quick turn around would be a good strategy in any case. I know Tony's penchant for correct camping and I just couldn't resist the photo :-). The triangle you turned the B1s on would have been Eggington Junction/Dove Junction/Marston Junction. 

I would love to lamp up every train I run on my layout but I haven't yet found a quick and easy way of changing the lamp placements. The modelu lamps (which look brilliant) are too small to drill to take the lamp brackets on my long time built engines (some of which are a little over-scale) so I try a modicum of blu-tack but in many cases in just gets too fiddly. I do just remember 69814 and 69827 being Grantham engines although I think 69814 left for Kings Cross and came back to Colwick for a short while but I could be wrong on that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi Roy. Some lovely memories there, Roy. I remember travelling back from Grantham behind an L1 on several occasions and always felt we were flying like the wind, particularly on that first section before Bottesford. It's quite possible you were firing when I was travelling behind!  Your explanation  of the lampless A5 does sound the most plausible. Putting the lamp on the front in readiness for a quick turn around would be a good strategy in any case. I know Tony's penchant for correct camping and I just couldn't resist the photo :-). The triangle you turned the B1s on would have been Eggington Junction/Dove Junction/Marston Junction. 

I would love to lamp up every train I run on my layout but I haven't yet found a quick and easy way of changing the lamp placements. The modelu lamps (which look brilliant) are too small to drill to take the lamp brackets on my long time built engines (some of which are a little over-scale) so I try a modicum of blu-tack but in many cases in just gets too fiddly. I do just remember 69814 and 69827 being Grantham engines although I think 69814 left for Kings Cross and came back to Colwick for a short while but I could be wrong on that.

Hi Clem,

Have you tried using black-tack instead of blue for the lamps?  It is stickier, and a more compatible colour for most loco’s... it’s used a lot for DCC chip and speaker installations, because of its superior qualities and flexibility over the blue stuff.  It comes in a roll and you can pick it up from Peters Spares, or places like Screwfix.

• Informative/Useful 5

9 hours ago, Clem said:

Thanks Clem,

My own memories of A5s are from Manchester London Road, where they'd take outer-suburban trains from the 'ER' side to far-flung places such as Macclesfield. 'Ancient & Modern' side by side, adjacent to the big EM2s (though I took much more interest in the expresses headed by the ex-LMS 4-6-0s!). They'd also be alongside Gorton-based L1s, sharing very similar duties. Both classes seemed to disappear together in the late-'50s from London Road - the A5s to withdrawal and the L1s to places elsewhere?

1226419960_A569825Colwick18.6.592046.jpg.a9dabf1eaacb3ed356bef7a312c3eccd.jpg

Definitely withdrawn. 69825 dumped at Colwick in 1959. 

1509298355_A569832DarlingtonShed24_04.5543H83.jpg.9bc07b8c62197e6080a23ad84cbd69a9.jpg

Did the Nu-Cast kit cater for the contract-built locos, with their lower fittings? Even down to round front buffers in some cases? The Craftsman kit didn't. 

Is the box above the front steps a feature of the contract-built ones, I wonder; not on the GC-built types? Ah, those joys of loco-picking! I think the BR lined black livery (ex-L&NWR-style) suited just about every loco type it was applied to. In some cases (in my opinion) far better than some of the originals, whatever their origins.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clem,

My own memories of A5s .....much edited 

................ Ah, those joys of loco-picking! I think the BR lined black livery (ex-L&NWR-style) suited just about every loco type it was applied to. In some cases (in my opinion) far better than some of the originals, whatever their origins.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

I would agree and disagree at the same time with your statement about LNWR livery applied to many classes of loco.

When applied to ex Midland Railway 4-4-0s it was just sheer revenge by Riddles an ex Crewe man. :ireful:

On the other hand didn't the GWR 4-6-0s look splendid in lined BR black, much better than the post 1956 diesel green many were painted in.  :tomato::tomato::blackeye::tomato:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When applied to ex Midland Railway 4-4-0s it was just sheer revenge by Riddles an ex Crewe man. 

Not quite the story, Clive. The livery was a committee decision and a parade of pre-agreed options were viewed. None seemed to meet with approval. Riddles apparently added a Black 5 in Crewe livery, not previously considered and this was accepted. 

When the Black 5 appeared someone said "Riddles, you b******d". He knew what he was doing and I'm sure there was a touch of revenge, but the way you described it makes it appear that it was one man's decision made purely as revenge. I know it was just an aside in stating your view of how it sat on various underpowered Midland insects but I felt an urge to defend the man.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clem,

My own memories of A5s are from Manchester London Road, where they'd take outer-suburban trains from the 'ER' side to far-flung places such as Macclesfield. 'Ancient & Modern' side by side, adjacent to the big EM2s (though I took much more interest in the expresses headed by the ex-LMS 4-6-0s!). They'd also be alongside Gorton-based L1s, sharing very similar duties. Both classes seemed to disappear together in the late-'50s from London Road - the A5s to withdrawal and the L1s to places elsewhere?

1226419960_A569825Colwick18.6.592046.jpg.a9dabf1eaacb3ed356bef7a312c3eccd.jpg

Definitely withdrawn. 69825 dumped at Colwick in 1959. 

1509298355_A569832DarlingtonShed24_04.5543H83.jpg.9bc07b8c62197e6080a23ad84cbd69a9.jpg

Did the Nu-Cast kit cater for the contract-built locos, with their lower fittings? Even down to round front buffers in some cases? The Craftsman kit didn't. 

Is the box above the front steps a feature of the contract-built ones, I wonder; not on the GC-built types? Ah, those joys of loco-picking! I think the BR lined black livery (ex-L&NWR-style) suited just about every loco type it was applied to. In some cases (in my opinion) far better than some of the originals, whatever their origins.

Regards,

Tony. 

Nice A5 photos Tony.  Just thought I'd mention that there is also a nice looking kit of both A5 types produced by Pete Stanger of 52F models.  I only say "nice looking" as I haven't started to build my original GC kit yet.  Having said that Pete does test build his stuff thoroughly and I recall there was an article in MRJ 210/226 about it.

https://www.52fmodels.org/gcr-class-9n-lner-br-class-a5-1

https://www.52fmodels.org/lner-br-class-a5-2

Cheers...Morgan

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the rise of RTR models of pre-grouping prototypes - I'll confidently predict that those will only happen if a substantial number of the locos survived into Nationalisation, or there is currently one preserved example.

I'll eat my hat if either of these ever appear in RTR, since neither has a preserved example and of the three members of the 1334 class, all were retired by the early 50s.

kits.jpg.420625699badf007778df47b840c8016.jpg

The 388 Armstrong Goods was obtained from a friend as a complete package including wheels and Portescap, whereas the 1334 is the re-released NuCast kit. I can't wait to build both of these lovelies!

Al

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, gr.king said:

GCR loco livery is a very complex subject. Apart from variations in the general scheme / schemes over the course of time there were interesting differences in the way that the livery was applied or adapted to different classes of loco. There was certainly a time when the 9P (B3) class had a dark red shade for the splasher faces, matching things such as the frames, steps and valances. Get John Quick's book if you'd like a full analysis.

As Graeme notes GC liveries are a bit of a minefield.  However as new the B3s are described in E.M. Johnson's Great Central Locomotives Vol.2 as having standard Great Central passenger green embellished with black and white lining. This was complemented by claret or "crimson lake", lined vermillion, for the coupled wheel splasher, mainframe above the footplate, cylinder clothing, motion bracket, footsteps and guard irons. As with the Atlantics the claret was extended to the tender balance, frames, footsteps and guard irons. Buffer beams were vermilion edged white with an outer black border. Wheel centres were green with white lining. Axles centres were black, lined round with a white circle.  Thus the B3s were different to the D11s and B2s where the big splashers were green if memory serves.  There's discussion in Johnson's book as to whether at least one B3 had a simplified livery at some point.  I don't have the John Quick opus so don't know if that elaborates on that subject.

Simon

Edited by 65179
name spelling

• RMweb Premium
On 17/06/2019 at 22:23, jwealleans said:

The crankpins screw in with a special screwdriver made for the purpose. 

20 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Jesse,

As Jonathan has said, you need a special Romford screwdriver (available from Markits or Wizard/Comet) to fix the crank pins securely in place. It's the same hollow, slotted one which is used to put the drivers on to the squares of their axles.

Jesse, I've got a Romford screwdriver that I don't use very often. You're welcome to borrow it.

I've never owned or used a Romford screwdriver, using a simple slotted screwdriver for the wheelnuts and screwing the crankpins in using pin-chuck. I don't wholeheartedly recommend the latter, as you need to strike the right balance between obtaining secure tightness and the risk of shearing the pin off. I've never managed to shear one off yet, although I have occasionally had to re-tighten one.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Buhar said:

Not quite the story, Clive. The livery was a committee decision and a parade of pre-agreed options were viewed. None seemed to meet with approval. Riddles apparently added a Black 5 in Crewe livery, not previously considered and this was accepted. 

When the Black 5 appeared someone said "Riddles, you b******d". He knew what he was doing and I'm sure there was a touch of revenge, but the way you described it makes it appear that it was one man's decision made purely as revenge. I know it was just an aside in stating your view of how it sat on various underpowered Midland insects but I felt an urge to defend the man.

As an extension of this resurrection of the spirit of the LNWR by an ex-premium apprentice at Crewe [one RA Riddles], you may wish to consider whether the first of his standard locos [70000 "Britannia"]  was named such because Britannia was the symbol of his beloved LNWR or because 1951  was the year of the Festival of Britain.....

DSC_0018.JPG

Edited by Arun Sharma
addnl info
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Buhar said:

I think every book or magazine article I have read about how BR chose its liveries post nationalisation has contained that story.

My post was not serious, I was expecting more backlash from the Swindon devotees with me calling post 1956 livery "diesel green". :banghead:

I have just popped my head into the playroom, of my steam locos 3 are plain black, 1 "diesel green" the rest are all in LNWR livery. :good:I think I might like it really.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I've never owned or used a Romford screwdriver, using a simple slotted screwdriver for the wheelnuts and screwing the crankpins in using pin-chuck. I don't wholeheartedly recommend the latter, as you need to strike the right balance between obtaining secure tightness and the risk of shearing the pin off. I've never managed to shear one off yet, although I have occasionally had to re-tighten one.

Just file a slot in the middle of a very cheap small screwdriver wide enough to clear the nut  .

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, micklner said:

Just file a slot in the middle of a very cheap small screwdriver wide enough to clear the nut  .

But that won't work for crankpins (or extended axles). The Romford screwdriver has a hole up the middle of the shaft for that reason.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

But that won't work for crankpins (or extended axles). The Romford screwdriver has a hole up the middle of the shaft for that reason.

I never realised you could even use them for Crankpins or extended axles.

Crankpins to tighten them to the wheel, I use smooth faced pliers. I have never used/fitted extended axles (thank god) !!! 

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My Bird's approaching the finishing line. It's still borrowing City of Truro's tender, which is why there's a mismatch in shades and a bit of a slope to the tender, but the Bird's one is nearly done. The green on the Bird is Precision's 1906-1928 shade, whereas I think the City was done with Railmatch's version of the later GWR shade. I felt that I'd begun to get a bit lazy with my painting, relying too much on spray cans, so for this model the airbrush was dusted off.

The smokebox support still needs addressing, and then there'll be lamp irons, crew, coal etc. Plates and numbers are from 247 Developments.

bird11.jpg.f8495a18ba06cc7d274ef971cf690ebd.jpg

Although I didn't build it, I thought I'd throw in a photo of this lovely Beyer goods which came from the same owner as the Aberdare. It's a delightful model with a touch more underframe detail, and it runs very well. The rear buffers have suffered damage at some point.

beyer.jpg.0213787a58402aa4915ded70ae9f9133.jpg

Al

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 17/06/2019 at 23:17, Clem said:

Try Davy Franks' lamps from Lanarkshire Model Supplies.

They look spot on as they should if you know Davys' attention to detail but they are also scale and well manufactured and easily drilled and drop over the lamp brackets if the latter are also scale.

The latest Hornby locos accommodate them well as the brackets are quite fine.

Drill out lamp and a little tacky wax or Blue tack in the hole and it slips over the bracket.

Its easily removed and as they are cheap enough you can have a box of these things ready to lamp up every loco as required.

The round LNE variety have slightly less body so little care is required but nothing too difficult..I haven't managed to bodge one yet.

The square LMS type are easier to centre spot and drill.

LNE lamps on my Hornby A3.

LH one could do with being pushed down bit but its only really noticed at this angle.

IMG_4273.jpg.742aee10ee17fa3e46eb9ada61568662.jpg  

Hornby J36 with again LNE lamp over the bracket.

IMG_4191-3.jpg.491d3f2fd2254c89b71f9784cb3e1eaf.jpg

Same loco with lamp on buffer beam.

IMG_4182.jpg.0c1cc8cfeee1efc50f05c1f80ba7faff.jpg

Placing the lamp which is an easy fit and with the hole filled with bkuetak or the like stays put but easily lifted off.

IMG_4146.jpg.d4e2b081982e728716831234af144bee.jpg

The square LM type on a Hornby Duchess.

IMG_1058.jpg.54bf3c0174d96fdd8b85a065366c85d8.jpg

Hope this helps.

Davy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 11/06/2019 at 19:30, Tony Wright said:

I note in the Obituaries section that the name of that great modeller, Roy Jackson, is now present.

Roy died peacefully on Saturday evening, with his family and closest friends present. 

I'm putting this little piece on my thread because I think it's more personal. 

What can one say by way of a tribute? He was a dear friend of mine for decades, and I consider him to be one of the greatest modellers of his generation. Though I knew of him from his Gainsborough Central days, I first got to chat to him at one Manchester Show where he, Geoff Kent and John Philips were showing High Dyke. I was transfixed, and saw nothing else of the show. I watched it for over a couple of hours and Roy engaged me in conversation. I complimented him and the others for such a great layout, but then had the temerity to point out that an A3 he'd made had the wrong dome. A moment passed, then I was effectively asked if I liked sex and liked travel? If so then f**k off! I immediately thought, here's a man after my own heart. We became instant mates. 

It was my privilege down the years to photograph his final EM Gauge masterpiece, Retford. I'd taken a few shots of Dunwich, again built by the fabulous trio, and also some of Geoff Kent's Blakeney and most recent Black Lion Crossing, for which Roy had built the pointwork, attended to some of the wiring and built some stock, but it's Retford for which he'll be remembered the most. 

What an heroic project. It took a man of great vision to conceive it, and even greater vision to embark on building it, some 25 years ago. That it's not completed is of no matter. It stands as a testament to a great modeller - a leader as well, because many others have contributed to Retford down the years, including (in a tiny, tiny way) me. He was an inspiration.

I saw him for the last time just over three weeks ago, and his conversation was typical. 'It's King's Cross, Tony; the end of the line!' His wicked sense of humour was still there, in spades!

1341417378_Retford1519.jpg.712f1a8070b9736508bf37fd4e3bc168.jpg

Potentially the greatest model railway ever made? I think so! This shot of Roy's Retford in EM was taken a few years ago, before both fiddle yards expanded. 

386687447_Retford1515A.jpg.0bd05e7f5f080e4a0cfd29a78bb8d2ee.jpg

This is a shot of the GN fiddle yard before it was expanded and filled with more trains. The HST was a visitor! 

1100363138_Retford28101103.jpg.b4028d1d7faed294be5c2c86e5a4df9a.jpg

North Junction at Retford, with the completed buildings made by Geoff Kent. Typically, Roy made the loco.

133804900_Retford28101104.jpg.bec5b0d40e7b95c24da7f1963ecb684b.jpg

And the south end, with still much to do - and still to do. What made Retford so personal to me was that it was my favourite trainspotting place, some 60 years ago. I could be one of the figures!

1345779152_RoyJacksonA1.jpg.b8567319bf0d862ecfd7e31e02be0ce2.jpg

And Roy's last loco. Still as good as any other, despite his failing faculties. All his Pacifics ran as 4-6-0s. 

739735593_RoyJackson9F.jpg.e75b011363752f397e9c1eb40cbfe663.jpg

It's my immense privilege to own a Roy Jackson-built loco. He made this DJH 9F in OO of all things, and I was presented with it by way of thanks for my having made a chassis (in EM) for one of Roy's locos.

Dsc_9558.jpg.3b7bf5ee334872f86745169f62b975d9.jpg

It was also a huge privilege to have him here from time to time, running Little Bytham.

RIP Roy.  

You summed him up well Tony and his comments to you at the Manchester show are Roy to a T!

He welcomed us into his home on many occasions but referred to us as 'The Scots Gits'..which again is Roy.

A friend who will be sadly missed.

Davy. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vitalspark said:

Try Davy Franks' lamps from Lanarkshire Model Supplies.

They look spot on as they should if you know Davys' attention to detail but they are also scale and well manufactured and easily drilled and drop over the lamp brackets if the latter are also scale.

The latest Hornby locos accommodate them well as the brackets are quite fine.

Drill out lamp and a little tacky wax or Blue tack in the hole and it slips over the bracket.

Its easily removed and as they are cheap enough you can have a box of these things ready to lamp up every loco as required.

The round LNE variety have slightly less body so little care is required but nothing too difficult..I haven't managed to bodge one yet.

The square LMS type are easier to centre spot and drill.

LNE lamps on my Hornby A3.

LH one could do with being pushed down bit but its only really noticed at this angle.

IMG_4273.jpg.742aee10ee17fa3e46eb9ada61568662.jpg  

Hornby J36 with again LNE lamp over the bracket.

IMG_4191-3.jpg.491d3f2fd2254c89b71f9784cb3e1eaf.jpg

Same loco with lamp on buffer beam.

IMG_4182.jpg.0c1cc8cfeee1efc50f05c1f80ba7faff.jpg

Placing the lamp which is an easy fit and with the hole filled with bkuetak or the like stays put but easily lifted off.

IMG_4146.jpg.d4e2b081982e728716831234af144bee.jpg

The square LM type on a Hornby Duchess.

IMG_1058.jpg.54bf3c0174d96fdd8b85a065366c85d8.jpg

Hope this helps.

Davy.

How do you hold the lamps whilst drilling?. I have managed to destroy 50% of the handles on the Lanarkshire LNER version I have whilst holding them. Very nice castings, and as said very good value.

• Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Tony, some photos from the running session are up on my topic, could you give them a Wright’s Writes review please? Like to now where I could improve on the photography. 

Thanking you 

Jesse 

Why not put them on here as well, Jesse? 

This thread covers many topics......................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2