Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

53 minutes ago, 45609 said:

Tony,

I've seen a couple of your photos of these two A3s on LB which are much better than these snaps. How long did you have them on loan for? Starting point was two Hornby A3s supplied in BR green livery. I stripped, detailed, backdated to 1930's condition and then repainted/lined (including the wheels) into Doncaster green.

P1000361.jpg.252114c36246a478ebc0555776b28fe5.jpg

P1000362.jpg.c3f462c656712039e56c94a7107000d0.jpg

P1120495.jpg.7317eebac30ce0b52f46e107477f26be.jpg

Cheers...Morgan

I must have had them a couple of months, Morgan,

Maybe longer. They eventually went to a friend of mine. You painted them beautifully.

Thanks to all those who've shown us their A1s/A3s today, but they all seem to be altered RTR ones as far as I can see. I had rather hoped to see some built ones, but they are nice. 'Nice' until one looks at the valve gear, particularly the angle of the eccentric rod and the length of the expansion link. It's so wrong, and looks even worse in motion. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

How come "Wright writes" is blessed with lots of photos or RTR A3s with the dreadful Hornby valve gear?

As I was writing this, "sir" added an identical thought but I will let mine stand!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Please, please, let it be the V2...……..

Sorry to disappoint you..........................

The new V2 should be ready by later this year, but there is no definite date.

What ran on LB today was a 'Western Pullman' set in the 'reversed' livery. I have to say, it ran magnificently-well, accompanied by a whole range of sounds, including driver's door being unlocked and opened, auxiliary gadgets being switched on, engines starting up and revving up, a guard's whistle, brakes being released, engine accelerating and six different horn sounds - all controlled beautifully by a Dynamis set. There was also a large range of different 'light' combinations, including full-internal at various levels, cabs illumination and appropriate front and rear lamp configurations. Along with umpteen acceleration, braking and coasting modes, the list of instructions was rather large! 

The team from Bachmann 'filmed' it all as part of a promotion for the product. I have to say, were I a diesel and electric modeller of the period it would be very tempting. The performance, prototype accuracy and finish were as good as anything which has ever run on LB, including all the hand-built/hand-painted items. However, for the six-car set, some £800.00-£900.00 (maybe more!) will be required to acquire it when it's released in a few months' time. Granted, one also gets with it a full Dynamis control system (which can be used for all other DCC locos/functions one might have), and remember there are two power cars. 

No doubt a stunning model, but time will tell how it sells. Obviously, given that I assisted with the making of the footage, and I'm on very-friendly terms with the team, my opinion might be seen as biased. However, I'm not being paid for this (we should all help each other where and when we can), and I didn't ask to be. Having seen it, operated it and listened to it, I think it's fantastic, but (again, obviously) it's not for me. 

Now a fully sound-equipped Deltic...............................................!!!!!!!! Who knows? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

How come "Wright writes" is blessed with lots of photos or RTR A3s with the dreadful Hornby valve gear?

As I was writing this, "sir" added an identical thought but I will let mine stand!

Thanks Tony,

Looking at prototype shots of A3s, the front end of the eccentric rod is only lower than the back end for a tiny bit of the wheels' rotation, and then only by a very small amount. Certainly not the near-45 degrees displayed by Hornby's A1/A3 gear. Hornby's gear has the front end lower for just about all the wheels' revolutions - the opposite of what it should be. 

Not only that, the eccentric crank leans the wrong way on one side. 

Gresley's gear (at least to me) is the most elegant of any fitted to an outside-gear steam loco, especially in motion. 

I find it such a shame with regard to the models. The A1/A3 body-shape is beautifully-captured by Hornby, and they generally work very well. Yet, for all this, folk seem happy to accept such a poor representation of the valve gear. Many layouts I've seen which depict ECML steam practice use nothing else than Hornby's RTR locos to represent their A1s/A3s! Is it any wonder why I prefer to make my own? 

Regards,

Tony. 

2 minutes ago, Chamby said:

https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/class-55-deltic-in-4mm-our-first-locomotive

If the product matches the hype, your wish may be granted!

Indeed, Phil,

And I must express an 'interest' here.

I've given Accurascale many of my own Deltic photos to work from and I've written a personal piece for them describing this great class.

As I say, help where and when one can.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

Looking at prototype shots of A3s, the front end of the eccentric rod is only lower than the back end for a tiny bit of the wheels' rotation, and then only by a very small amount. Certainly not the near-45 degrees displayed by Hornby's A1/A3 gear. Hornby's gear has the front end lower for just about all the wheels' revolutions - the opposite of what it should be. 

Not only that, the eccentric crank leans the wrong way on one side. 

Gresley's gear (at least to me) is the most elegant of any fitted to an outside-gear steam loco, especially in motion. 

I find it such a shame with regard to the models. The A1/A3 body-shape is beautifully-captured by Hornby, and they generally work very well. Yet, for all this, folk seem happy to accept such a poor representation of the valve gear. Many layouts I've seen which depict ECML steam practice use nothing else than Hornby's RTR locos to represent their A1s/A3s! Is it any wonder why I prefer to make my own? 

Regards,

Tony. 

I have never measured such things but my feeling is that the return crank is a little too long and the bottom end of the expansion link is also too long. So the eccentric rod, which should be almost parallel to the coupling rod slopes down at the front, as you point out. It really does mess with the proportions and why people tolerate a backwards facing return crank on one side is beyond me.

I also prefer a proper multi layer expansion link and a proper slidebar, with a flat solid top but you don't get those even in many kits.

When you see what somebody like Chris Pendlenton does, it shows what can be done with a bit of extra work.

Luckily for me, I am exempt all such excitement as my beloved GCR wasn't big on outside valve gear. It wasn't unknown but very rare. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

but (again, obviously) it's not for me. 

Now a fully sound-equipped Deltic...............................................!!!!!!!! Who knows? 

BUT, Tony...... would it provide the full soundtrack from two minutes before the train passed?

On a summer's evening, you are sitting on a grassy bank with just the slightest breeze rustling the ground and a nearby tree.  Some distant binds chirping, possibly starlings?  Then the signal wires tinkle and in straining to hear, you can just make out a distant drone.  Then this is briefly drowned out by a passing car on the bridge crossing the line just a hundred or so yards behind you; the short flatulent "pfft" as the driver changes gear identifying the car un-mistakenly as a Morris Minor.  Then the drone again, louder this time, and a long two-tone blast on the horn as the train approaches the path crossing half a mile away.  The noise grows and grows until less than half a minute later, the howl reaches a crescendo as the Deltic roars past, the note dipping as it passes with the Doppler effect and soon drowned by the pulsing roar of every one of the 24 bogies behind, including a rat-tat-tat-tat of a wheelflat on one axle.  Then just the receding drone for another half-minute, another tinkle as the signal returns to danger, until all you are left with is the starlings and soft rustling of the grass again.

When a sound system can give this, I might be interested.  Until then, I recommend searching out some old Peter Handford LPs and playing them in you railway room.

Rob

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

On a summer's evening, you are sitting on a grassy bank with just the slightest breeze rustling the ground and a nearby tree.  Some distant binds chirping, possibly starlings?  Then the signal wires tinkle and in straining to hear, you can just make out a distant drone.  Then this is briefly drowned out by a passing car on the bridge crossing the line just a hundred or so yards behind you; the short flatulent "pfft" as the driver changes gear identifying the car un-mistakenly as a Morris Minor.  Then the drone again, louder this time, and a long two-tone blast on the horn as the train approaches the path crossing half a mile away.  The noise grows and grows until less than half a minute later, the howl reaches a crescendo as the Deltic roars past, the note dipping as it passes with the Doppler effect and soon drowned by the pulsing roar of every one of the 24 bogies behind, including a rat-tat-tat-tat of a wheelflat on one axle.  Then just the receding drone for another half-minute, another tinkle as the signal returns to danger, until all you are left with is the starlings and soft rustling of the grass again.

You are a dreamer of beautiful dreams.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Indeed, Phil,

And I must express an 'interest' here.

I've given Accurascale many of my own Deltic photos to work from and I've written a personal piece for them describing this great class.

As I say, help where and when one can.

Regards,

Tony. 

the Accurasacle gang are a very nice set of gents. They listened to me when I suggested that the curve of the Deltic roof on the pre production model appeared to be a tad high. More to the point they never laughed at me stretched Lima effort.

100_5030a.jpg.d07b189af10f5e7f5446e1f128f0403e.jpg

This one needs its bogies modified, it is on Hornby class 47s at the moment. It had a pair of modified bogies  which it shared with my plasticard Type 3 but finding another set of power bogies I thought I can modify them...........................one day.

100_5031a.jpg.6c3e429cb2ae47cc47db7c01617c273a.jpg

Two more awaiting the paint shop. They are on Lima class 37 power bogies.

It was a great pity Lima didn't make their Deltic the full length and give it the correct size bogies when they changed from British H0 to 00 because I still think it has the impressive look of a Deltic which for some reason the Bachmann model didn't quite achieve. Hopefully the Accurascale will do.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

BUT, Tony...... would it provide the full soundtrack from two minutes before the train passed?

When a sound system can give this, I might be interested.  Until then, I recommend searching out some old Peter Handford LPs and playing them in you railway room.

Rob

DCC sound would indeed give you something like this, if your layout was long enough...  2 minutes away at a scale 90mph at 4mm to the foot is a little over 60 metres.  Allow another 60 metres for the sound receding away in the opposite direction...

Theoretically possible, but totally impractical.

• Like 1

I've done very little modelling recently (or really since the start of the year). Having undergone four operations last year plus a follow up spell in hospital when I got an infection in the surgery wound I missed out on holidays. So this year I've already had three breaks to make up for it and there are more being planned. The most recent was a nearly three week spell in France with getting back just last weekend.

Since then I've steeled myself for some modelling and have started gently with three wagon kits from the NGS. They build in to an either option of a bogie bolster 'E' Bopol or Turbot bogie ballast wagon. I choose to make one bolster and two Turbots. Here's how far I've got with the Turbots - basically assembling the plastic body/chassis  :

DSC_7845.JPG.df09c8a08f6667e824f544df12028d07.JPG

And especially for Clive here's a pic I took of the RH&DR:

DSC_6088cr.jpg.5263ab541933859b7dfb8b829d07b771.jpg

G

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

One thing I did notice about the video was how loud those locos I've built with Portescaps are. It's a most-irritating whine, and, other than their ease of fitting, I cannot see any advantage to them. I'm told folk claim they'll pull anything, but big Mashimas and decent gearboxes do the trick for me, especially in the larger locos. The A3 going at over 250 mph (yes, that's it's scale speed!!!!!) is fitted with just such a combination. If nothing else, though that high speed was really little more than my showing off, it shows how good Norman Solomon's trackwork is. I had to slow down for the curves on the end, otherwise centrifugal force would have had the lot on its side! 

The thing I noticed about the video was the operation of the M&GNJR. Shouldn't trains have stopped when going from the double track to single track in order to pick up a token?

5 minutes ago, 96701 said:

The thing I noticed about the video was the operation of the M&GNJR. Shouldn't trains have stopped when going from the double track to single track in order to pick up a token?

It would seem only those not equipped with the automatic Whitaker tablet-catching/collecting apparatus, Phi.

There was a device at Little Bytham Junction which performed this function, but I've yet to make it - non-working, of course. 

Anyway, you are right; apart from the Ivatt 2-6-0 in one of the shots, all the other locos didn't have the device on their tenders to exchange tablets automatically. How a non-automatic exchange of tablets could be done on the model is a moot point. On the real thing, the signalman used to walk down from his 'box and hand over/collect the tablets as appropriate from the drivers/firemen. 

I've never seen a working figure do this, even using DCC!

Regards,

Tony.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Some really nice models of Gresley A1s and A3s.

I cannot normally join in when discussing locomotive models. OK the project was abandoned for various reasons, none to do with the concept of the model. I was going to use Tri-ang Hornby Flying Scotsmen as a basis for a RH&DR based layout in 1/24 th scale. I didn't get too far. rdhr1.jpg.af466c62b05798a4413188ecedfaf30f.jpg

Seen on my former 4mm scale Hanging Hill layout.

I still have desires on building something similar, as the RH&DR is one of my favorite railways to visit.

Very nice Clive. One of my might-but-probably-never-will projects is Hythe in the early 1960s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chamby said:

DCC sound would indeed give you something like this, if your layout was long enough...  2 minutes away at a scale 90mph at 4mm to the foot is a little over 60 metres.  Allow another 60 metres for the sound receding away in the opposite direction...

Theoretically possible, but totally impractical.

I don't think you'd get the Doppler effect though.

• Agree 1

On 20/06/2019 at 09:22, davefrk said:

Thanks to Mr Spark LMS have run out of certain lamps and will have to do a casting session next week which was going to be a busy week anyway.

Dave.

I hope I'm on commission Dave!

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I don't think you'd get the Doppler effect though.

I have found even over 2m or so there is a small Doppler effect. Others have also noticed this. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Rob

Ah, the unmistakable sound of the Morris Minor fart. My Dad has two - Morris Minors that is - one owned from 1972 when it was a year old, and another from 1981. Alas he is thinking of selling them now as he rarely drives these days.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Headstock said:

I've not had a lot of time for Railway modeling recently. I did finaly get around to painting and completing some teak carriages.

Gresley TK E12612.jpg

E12630.jpg

Gresley BTK E16195.jpg

Gresley TK 12680.jpg

Gresley TK.jpg

Thanks for posting these images, Andrew,

They show some of the most beautifully-natural carriages I've ever seen.

MJT kits?

Once again, they illustrate that this thread is abundant with images of personal model-making, self-reliance, creativity and observation of the prototype. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Ah, the unmistakable sound of the Morris Minor fart. My Dad has two - Morris Minors that is - one owned from 1972 when it was a year old, and another from 1981. Alas he is thinking of selling them now as he rarely drives these days.

I drove away from our wedding reception (all those years ago) in a white Morris Minor. Friends had written and drawn - very badly - various naughty suggestions and body-bits, using a guest's lipstick. I immediately took it through a car wash, which merely removed the dirt, highlighting even more the bright red suggestions!

The old girl (the car!) was at least 15 years old then, and not long after, the rod clutch siezed up, making it impossible to de-clutch. I drove it for a few more months (to school and back) just 'crashing the box'. It was stolen once, but found abandoned not far away. It would seem that even car thieves have standards! 

I finally got £5.00 from a scrap dealer for her (the car!).

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I am making a 2mm scale model of Valour, which is described in the 2mm section.  One Valour nameplate survives in the York National museum.  

A friend of mine mentioned that the other one had a chequered history: It is believed that the second nameplate remained at Gorton Works for some time after 1948, it was then affixed to the top of the doorway of a church in Openshaw Gorton that had railway links. The plate was cemented into place and photographed A few years later the plate was removed forcibly (or stolen) from the church door and nothing had been heard or seen of it since A conspiracy theory however exists: Just after the plate was removed from the church, the presiding vicar was reposted to a position in Australia. It is thought he may have taken the plate with him. The said vicar is reported as having died some 8 years past but nothing has come to light as to the whereabouts of the plate.

Anyone any observations on this, or are there other versions?

Tim

0D89B518-10A6-4062-9F9B-B77BB1BECB4D.jpeg

• Like 8