Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all who have opened up and shared their stories (and advice) about mental health problems and relationships over the last couple of days. It does seem to be a topic that is getting more discussion and no longer carries the stigma that it used to. I got into railway modelling just 10 years ago (rather late but never too late), and it has helped me to not only get over a health anxiety crisis, but to bring back fond memories of my father who passed away far too early. He was a Civil Engineer working for British Railways. It is only recently that I have realised how lucky I was to go 'walking the track' with him when I was a youngster. So railway modelling brings back happy times, has given me the chance to be creative which is a great medicine, and has brought me into contact with like-minded guys who are always willing to help and be supportive.

I note the messages re not falling into the perfectionism trap and knowing when to stop and be satisfied. This can be difficult when you see superb modelling skills that you can only dream of getting close to. The other point I guess is to get the railway modelling / life balance right which is just as important as the work / life balance. So for me walking in the great outdoors and getting on the bike (push) are equally important. Having a partner who understands your needs is a bonus (still looking), and then it is only fair to understand their needs too.

Was out walking in Nitherdale, Yorksire last week and spotted these twoDSC03995.JPG.49d188bf19abb0506422ea8ca254b604.JPG

Would be great to include on the layout. I wonder if they would keep still long enough for a laser scan

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not only is my wife supportive of my hobby, she was one of the regular operators when I was exhibiting Clinkerford. She also takes great delight in showing off my current layout, Worseter, to visitors. Wot a lucky chap I am.

• Like 11

It is a sad fact that the term depression can be misused and misunderstood. We can all be depressed without suffering from the condition depression. I’ve never had the latter,  so I can only begin to imagine what it does to you. 

Stephen

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I note the messages re not falling into the perfectionism trap and knowing when to stop and be satisfied. This can be difficult when you see superb modelling skills that you can only dream of getting close to. The other point I guess is to get the railway modelling / life balance right which is just as important as the work / life balance.

Fully agree. I often draw the analogy between village/Sunday league sporting players and elite internationals. If we have ever played the game most of us are at the lower level, get a bit better with knowledge and practice but are not at a professional standard as there is something "extra" about the top players that enables them to be that good. Even though we are not top-notch, playing the game at village/Sunday league level still has a point to it.

Modelling is the same, and I expect has a similar factor for the truly elite modellers, whether that be their hand/eye coordination or the undefinable something else that aids the best to stand out. What we shouldn't do is decry beginners*, just like in sport even basic modelling is better than no modelling. Personally I always aim to model something better than basic in a proper layout, but from time to time just putting a circle of track up outside on the garden table on a summer afternoon and letting them chase their tails whilst watching with a cool drink is very therapeutic. Yes they still have tension locks (Kadees a future possibility) and the overhang is out of scale but there is something about a passing train that always satisfies. 

Now to stop procrastinating and go and get the bits to fix the suddenly leaking toilet cistern! 

* EDIT Fortunately rarely read on RMWeb, a generally helpful place to lurk in, but sadly put downs and unhelpful criticism is often overheard at shows.

Edited by john new
Typos corrected
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

Not sure if this belongs here but here goes.

During a pre-relocation clear out I’ve found the following OO/EM LNER B1 components that no longer fit in my modelling interest. If anyone can use them drop me a PM, just pay the postage.

1) Set of Gibson/Kean-Maygib wheels for loco and tender, no crankpins!

2) Nucast B1 cylinder/valvegear kit, opened but never used, believed complete

3) Unidentified brass chimney, w/m dome and tender filler

Tim T

Modelling South Wales Branch lines in EM

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

Not sure if this belongs here but here goes.

During a pre-relocation clear out I’ve found the following OO/EM LNER B1 components that no longer fit in my modelling interest. If anyone can use them drop me a PM, just pay the postage.

1) Set of Gibson/Kean-Maygib wheels for loco and tender, no crankpins!

2) Nucast B1 cylinder/valvegear kit, opened but never used, believed complete

3) Unidentified brass chimney, w/m dome and tender filler

Tim T

Modelling South Wales Branch lines in EM

Hi Tim

pm sent!

Kind Regards,

Brian

On 23/06/2019 at 07:57, Bucoops said:

Bramham Moor - that's one of the "good" ones we have. Not mint, and no box, but pretty good. Probably the worst loco is Flying Scotsman - so that was well and truly fair game! Poorly repainted by someone.

As you say, they are toys not models. I can understand the collection of them however but they do need using from time to time. Shut up in their boxes is a bit sad.

Still have my father’s 10th birthday present - The Bramham Moor. I think I may love it just as much as he did! Certainly enough to build a 4mm one (PDK)...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's no coincidence that most of my Grandad's models/toys were LNER and I'm die-hard LNER. The Shires/Hunts are out of my area but if one ever showed cheap enough it would of course end up as 201 :)

8 hours ago, john new said:

Fully agree. I often draw the analogy between village/Sunday league sporting players and elite internationals. If we have ever played the game most of us are at the lower level, get a bit better with knowledge and practice but are not at a professional standard as there is something "extra" about the top players that enables them to be that good. Even though we are not top-notch, playing the game at village/Sunday league level still has a point to it.

Modelling is the same, and I expect has a similar factor for the truly elite modellers, whether that be their hand/eye coordination or the undefinable something else that aids the best to stand out. What we shouldn't do is decry beginners, just like in sport even basic modelling is better than no modelling. Personally I always aim to model something better than basic in a proper layout, but from time to time just putting a circle of track up outside on the garden table on a summer afternoon and letting them chase their tails whilst watching with a cool drink is very therapeutic. Yes they still have tension locks (Kadees a future possibility) and the overhang is out of scale but there is something about a passing train that always satisfies. 

Now to stop procrastinating and go and get the bits to fix the suddenly leaking toilet cistern! 

Does anyone on this thread decry beginners, John?

I don't thinks so and I certainly hope note, though, in fairness, I think your point is general, and I agree with it entirely.

I also agree about your analogy about amateur sport. For decades I played club cricket (too old now!), and I derived much more pleasure out of participating in it than I did watching, even going to test matches (I get even less pleasure watching England right now. Tournament favourites? Who's kidding whom?). 

What I do decry is those who won't try; those who put up barriers as to why they shouldn't do their railway modelling for themselves. Those who are almost entirely reliant on others. I don't have the slightest problem with the guy/girl who just opens boxes, places everything down temporarily and has huge fun just 'playing trains'. They never claim to be anything they're not. Unlike those who, one might say, 'bask in reflected glory'. 

Now, and showing yet again my hypocrisy, I've just taken delivery of this 'Britannia' which Geoff Haynes has painted beautifully........................

499404853_Britannia70024VULCAN.jpg.b3f878063703398d7d3bc5736cc51327.jpg

It started out as a Hornby Limited Edition 70000 in 1951 black (the box and certificate have already been chucked away!), and I've added new deflectors and done a bit of detailing. As part of bartering, a friendly gardener/Jack of all trades mate is working on the garden for Mo, and this is by way of an exchange. I certainly can't paint to this standard (hence my reliance on others in this respect - hypocrisy rules!), and I'm sure he'll be very happy. He has Hornby track, so I haven't replaced the bogie wheels. I think it's turned out rather well...............

239016295_DJHBritannia70003.jpg.57b9ef69b912ace799858278dd3e2c08.jpg

As well as this? Bob Alderman started this DJH 'Britannia' and I made it go and finished it. Ian Rathbone painted it. I know which I prefer, of course, but as layout locos? 

626587907_DJHSemi26.jpg.a34b992dc10a0f10856e786b5314bc1f.jpg

When Geoff came around today, he picked up the completed DJH 'Princess Coronation' for painting. I've built it and painted all the chassis bits, but that lovely red will be beyond me.........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Archie,

How are the platforms made? Are they proprietary products at source? If plastic, they're too high. 

I understand the problems of exhibition deadlines - I've been involved in many. To be honest, most won't notice, but I'm a bit of a zealot in such matters. 

If you've got a green Deltic running, it must be an ECML depiction. If so, some real platform heights..................….

Tony,

Thank you for posting these photos. What a wealth of diverse information one can find here. 

The platforms are not proprietary. They are made from sheets of MDF and I think I know what might have happened. The baseboards are all covered entirely in 6mm thick cork underlay. This should have been cut away when the completed platforms were installed so that the top of the platforms would have been 6mm less than they are now.  Too late to alter now but hopefully not too distracting to the majority of show visitors. 

Regarding the Deltic, it was just on the layout to test and video. The layout is not based on an ECML location.

Regards,

Archie

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Does anyone on this thread decry beginners, John?

Post now updated: Not on here, nor was I implying that. It s something though that I do overhear at local shows. On here most people are helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Brit pictures. I just love those locos as the best thing that happened on the GE main line in the 50s. I have John Bunyan in 7mm (chosen as I admired the life of the man).

I am really heartened by the support on this thread for those of the parish who have suffered for various reasons with their lives. I must be one of the fortunate ones but even then I have had bad moments when things seemed very dire. I now find modelling helps but then it frustrates beyond measure when things do not go right. I am wrestling with the creation of a trapezoidal type firebox for a Riddles class 4 and it is taking ages to get right. Such "challenges" can also turn on the blues. I am fortunate to have many modelling mates who seem to be able to do things so much better than I can. Perhaps one day I will get there.

Love the Deltic noise by the way. What wonderful machines thy are.

Martin Long 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, john new said:

Post now updated: Not on here, nor was I implying that. It s something though that I do overhear at local shows. On here most people are helpful.

Thanks John,

I admit my question was a bit provocative, and I certainly didn't infer that you were implying anything. 

Overhearing what others are saying at shows or in conversation can be most-interesting. And, we're back in a way to 'constructive criticism'. I have no time for snipers who just criticise, yet, in most cases, have not built anything themselves. On one occasion, someone I know was blathering on about a layout being 'not very good'. When I pointed out to him that his layout (which is, to be fair, better) is all the just expertise of others and he'd just paid for their work, he shut up; his pomposity well and truly pricked, as it always should be. 

As has been said before, whenever any railway modelling is in the public domain, expect it to be criticised (in the truest sense of the word). I always invite it with regard to what I show. That way I carry on learning. However, that should always be tempered by encouragement, especially to the beginners.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I note the messages re not falling into the perfectionism trap and knowing when to stop and be satisfied. This can be difficult when you see superb modelling skills that you can only dream of getting close to.

I gave up modelling for a while when  working in signal engineering. I had too many work pressures and in the case of the job it was "Near enough is not good enough". Very true when you sign off the paperwork and the next train through passes at 125mph.

As I moved away from the front line I started dabbling in modelling again and even years after retirement still have to avoid falling into the trap of wanting to do that extra bit to get it better, I have to tell myself that my eyesight is not good enough to see the difference when a train passes on the layout at a scale 40mph and three feet away from me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I'll frequently finish a model and think to myself 'there's something about that I'm not entirely happy with'. However, perhaps with greater acceptance, I'll now leave it. Lo and behold, by the time I've finished the next one or two, I'll have forgotten what bugged me about a previous one!

More than once I've found a plastic tray with a dismantled model in it. I took it apart to do some improvements and can't remember what I thought was wrong with it. Best course of action is to put it back together and see if something still grates on the eye.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Given the last few postings about seeking perfection dare I write that your build of Tower Black Five has resulted in a perfect model - sublime. Once models get to 7mm scale, to me at least, they start to take on this sort of hyper reality. To explain, because the relative material thicknesses become that much closer to the real thing the model steps into the realm of reality reduced in size rather than just being a beautiful model, which of course this is. For example, I notice the fine edge to the tender side top edges but, in contrast, the relative mass of the connecting rods. The model resonates like the real thing does and gains that sense of mass that characterise real railways.

A friend of mine who was involved with railway preservation told me once, after a weekend of track laying, that absolutely everything on the real railway is heavy. 7mm scale models reflect that to great effect.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The rule on the railway is that, if it isn't a train, it has to withstand being hit by a train, and if it is a train, it has to withstand hitting something that can withstand being hit by a train.  If you can pick it up, it's too light...

7mm and larger scales are good at conveying this, which extends to the way train move.  Once in motion, they have a lot of momentum so jerky starts or stops or anything but the smoothest running on a model destroys the illusion.  In 4mm, I fully load my mineral wagons despite the fact that they can easily be padded out with foam and save me some coal, and some of my locos struggle realistically with the train, but I like the sense of 'heft' that results.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have been battling with work issues for a while now... 2 weeks ago, I decided, as I had some time over the weekend, that it was time to do some kit building. So I pulled out a Highlevel Neilsen 12inch kit I have had for about 2 years which I had not started. Now after about 6 hours of peaceful straight forward assembly this is what it looks like:-

Nielsen.jpg

OK you may think this is big but it is sitting on a DVD cover! 

Sitting down with this little challenge has improved my mood massively. To the point that this week other than battling with the dome above which has 6 Lost wax brass castings to be added with further wire "tubes" from the valves to below the footplate and into the fire box top. 

I have a number of kits that need to be completed so after the success of the above I had to do 2 portescap conversions for a Bradwell J27 and Jinty. The first took about an hour but it was locking up on the screw into the motor front plate. As it was late I temporarily installed it in the Jinty. The next one I filed back the problem screw and with that the gearbox ran smoothly. This will go into the J27 which is mostly built but still not finished. I find the Bradwell Kits beautiful to put together until the detailing which the instructions tend to suggest detail as per your prototype. 

Now that the modelling mojo is back I would like to think i can finish all 3 locos in the next couple of months! 

I bet Tony may find these lovely little kits from Chris a bit of a challenge being so small! 

Edited by DougN
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Anglian said:

Given the last few postings about seeking perfection dare I write that your build of Tower Black Five has resulted in a perfect model - sublime. Once models get to 7mm scale, to me at least, they start to take on this sort of hyper reality. To explain, because the relative material thicknesses become that much closer to the real thing the model steps into the realm of reality reduced in size rather than just being a beautiful model, which of course this is. For example, I notice the fine edge to the tender side top edges but, in contrast, the relative mass of the connecting rods. The model resonates like the real thing does and gains that sense of mass that characterise real railways.

A friend of mine who was involved with railway preservation told me once, after a weekend of track laying, that absolutely everything on the real railway is heavy. 7mm scale models reflect that to great effect.

That's very kind of you, Tim,

Though I'm not sure anything I've ever been involved with could be called 'sublime'; 'Of the most exalted kind, so distinguished by elevation or size or nobility or grandeur or other impressive quality as to inspire awe or wonder, aloof from & raised far above the ordinary..................'. OED. Hardly applicable to anything I've made! Though there is Ian Rathbone's beautiful painting, of course. 

There's no doubt that 7mm scale allows a much greater 'mass' to be present, and this is apparent in photographs. 

1939420486_HeljanClass3702.jpg.3c465c6bd4e5478a018498b6b1e6fe18.jpg

I'm just taking pictures of this latest 7mm Heljan Class 37, and, after the hernia-inducing process of lugging it on to my photographic table, I think it looks rather impressive.

However, something like this (even accounting for the livery) will never be for me. I just find O Gauge too big. I've built about five/six loco in 7mm scale, and one or two wagons. It's just too 'heavy' for me (not that I'm puny). Not only that, it'll never give me what I 'want'. That is the likes of Little Bytham. To all intents and purposes, all the dimensions would have to be doubled to around 64' x 24' . And then, over 150 locos, over 200 carriages and near 300 wagons? No, just not practicable - too big, too expensive and I'm not Methuselah! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Size is an interesting topic in railway modelling.  I am a great believer in portraying the railway in its setting, which is why I obviously model in 2mm scale.  Just to think that LB would be great in 7mm scale defeats the object of getting a broad line side view, which is what I presume Tony yearns for.  To achieve the line side view in 7mm scale one would have to stand further back - which then defeats the object.  I recollect that the Slaters 7mm scale model of Monsal Dale & Millers Dale didn’t work for me as you were too close to the action: Chee Tor in 2mm scale did a much better job. Seven millimetre scale models can give you an amazing trackside experience, but the bigger picture perhaps works best in the garden. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Agree 2