Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Though obviously not exactly the same angles (and not the same locos/trains), they do show the amount of progress made on LB in the last few years.

The second shot show something I've never noticed before, Tony; the neutral green colour you have painted the layout edge (on the fiddle yard side at least).  If that were painted black like a lot of exhibition layouts are, it would draw your attention to the edge.  Being green your eye it tricked into thinking it's part of the scenery.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

The second shot show something I've never noticed before, Tony; the neutral green colour you have painted the layout edge (on the fiddle yard side at least).  If that were painted black like a lot of exhibition layouts are, it would draw your attention to the edge.  Being green your eye it tricked into thinking it's part of the scenery.  

Thank you,

That's what I was hoping for.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

After looking again at the two overall shots in my last post, I thought I'd try and get similar views this evening. 

1852807426_overallview040.jpg.54540b6f58ad0a354a92e72db686d3ef.jpg

304689941_overallview042.jpg.b710e943955ff8cd60740514ad59ee6f.jpg

Though obviously not exactly the same angles (and not the same locos/trains), they do show the amount of progress made on LB in the last few years.

It just goes to show what can be achieved by a crack team! 

Tony,

That overall view view really shows how complete it now looks. I remember the spaces for resting tea mugs which have now been scenically completed from my first visit and that was only ~three years ago. They say a model railway is never complete but I think LB is as near as it gets.

It looks superb!

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I guess the colour will depend on the type of scenery next to the fascia (urban, rural, marine, etc,) to help trick the eye.

G.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

That overall view view really shows how complete it now looks. I remember the spaces for resting tea mugs which have now been scenically completed from my first visit and that was only ~three years ago. They say a model railway is never complete but I think LB is as near as it gets.

It looks superb!

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I've just got to complete the point rodding (the big gaps in it can be seen!), complete the girder bridge and paint it.

Then? Build more locos and stock! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Useful dodges, Phil,

Thanks for showing us.

Though I didn't need a mirror to produce the platform edges on LB, I did employ masking tape (of the car-store type). 

89284783_Makingplatforms15.jpg.b392bacb67babbeea2371a03ae6aebb0.jpg

1861612913_Makingplatforms16.jpg.b181a2a5bf9e3cb011fca1c65bc4ecc9.jpg

My wife's dainty fingers did the rest. 

1296673315_Makingplatforms18.jpg.f0573b4087ce4dba3b90eb000d0d242f.jpg

Though the real platform white edges were often applied by a porter using a broad brush and whitewash (with inherent wiggles and dribbles), it's best on a model if they're applied evenly. This shot from four years ago shows how much things have progressed since then.

310132858_Makingplatforms19.jpg.03ebd1e40b1254d8f9fb76b16230154e.jpg

I'm a great believer in the 'sketch-book' approach to representing detail, in this case the divisions between the edging flags.

2000444931_Makingplatforms20.jpg.ce1cecaf325ea401e282099e0029cbc1.jpg

A soft pencil and a square did the trick.

726894565_Makingplatforms21.jpg.2bec693a4ec39e2d488938ec371158ce.jpg

And who can tell at 'stand-off' scale? 

All these pictures and greater explanations appear in my Crowood book.

Regards.

Tony. 

Years ago, on the Big Railway, I came across a sort of right-angled brush so that the painter could do the front and top in one go. The brush "hooked over" the platform edge, so the line on the top was more-or-less constant width.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, Chamby said:

I have become a fan of Tamiya masking tape, as sold for military modellers.  I find it works really well for small scale work like this.

I completely agree that Tamiya masking tape is a great product. It generally sticks well, has never lifted the paint of any of my models and is excellent at its job. I don't use any other kind of masking tape now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andy,

I've just got to complete the point rodding (the big gaps in it can be seen!), complete the girder bridge and paint it.

Regards,

Tony. 

Then it will be time to start the next layout...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I have to admit that progress on Hadley Wood has stopped at the moment - I've discovered that there is only so much track one can build at a time!

However, I have been build stock again to eventually run on Hadley Wood.

20190709_112720.jpg.242206d8d70134a52f98d94bab57b675.jpg

The BH Enterprise kit for an ex-GNR four wheel brake van. This will end up with an adapted Peco brake van chassis (as intended) as I'm yet to find a suitable etched replacement. It's a nice simple kit with only making up the handrails presenting any real difficulties.

20190710_110445.jpg.dd01e6bd8d1b9d74d5b766c1df4f4839.jpg

A GWR Mink C. This one is a bit of an impulse buy as I realised that I have very little by the way of GWR goods wagons. After the Toad E, Prestwin and GN brake, this one proved almost ridiculously easy to get to this stage. It's an N Gauge Society plastic body on the 2mm Association etched chassis. It's still missing some bits which need to be sourced and I forgot to add the strange brake levers before gluing the body to the chassis!

20190712_180206.jpg.d79c14ee4ab867430f7f2e271376476b.jpg

Both of the other wagons were built in between session building this Prestwin. I have a second one to build before they get painted and sent off to their new home.

20190712_181536.jpg.6d16b3d934468c5c0673332d0bd2b509.jpg

Spearmint's tender has had the outer lining completed. I've just finished painting the decal paper that will form the inner panel lining and will add this over the next few days.

I've also been thinking about the next project when I found this sitting in my unfinished projects drawer.

862165996_SirSamFay.jpg.08648bc35aee0bdda7ffd71c34edc87f.jpg

This one will become B2 Sir Sam Fay in 1930's condition. I abandoned this project when I decided to model Hadley Wood in the 1930's, as Sir Sam had gone back to the GC by then. However, I've discovered that Frank Giles recorded the loco passing through New Southgate in April 1936 on an Up excursion. That's a good enough reason to go back to this one. The body is 3D printed on an adapted Farish Jubilee chassis. The tender body is a Union Mills product but is powered by a custom built tender drive made by my good friend Hans Starman - I've got another B2 to build for him, in GCR livery, as payment for his work. I'm certain these will prove to be easier projects than Tim's Valour!

Edited by Atso
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

6 hours ago, Atso said:

I have to admit that progress on Hadley Wood has stopped at the moment - I've discovered that there is only so much track one can build at a time!

However, I have been build stock again to eventually run on Hadley Wood.

20190709_112720.jpg.242206d8d70134a52f98d94bab57b675.jpg

The BH Enterprise kit for an ex-GNR four wheel brake van. This will end up with an adapted Peco brake van chassis (as intended) as I'm yet to find a suitable etched replacement. It's a nice simple kit with only making up the handrails presenting any real difficulties.

20190710_110445.jpg.dd01e6bd8d1b9d74d5b766c1df4f4839.jpg

A GWR Mink C. This one is a bit of an impulse buy as I realised that I have very little by the way of GWR goods wagons. After the Toad E, Prestwin and GN brake, this one proved almost ridiculously easy to get to this stage. It's an N Gauge Society plastic body on the 2mm Association etched chassis. It's still missing some bits which need to be sourced and I forgot to add the strange brake levers before gluing the body to the chassis!

20190712_180206.jpg.d79c14ee4ab867430f7f2e271376476b.jpg

Both of the other wagons were built in between session building this Prestwin. I have a second one to build before they get painted and sent off to their new home.

20190712_181536.jpg.6d16b3d934468c5c0673332d0bd2b509.jpg

Spearmint's tender has had the outer lining completed. I've just finished painting the decal paper that will form the inner panel lining and will add this over the next few days.

I've also been thinking about the next project when I found this sitting in my unfinished projects drawer.

862165996_SirSamFay.jpg.08648bc35aee0bdda7ffd71c34edc87f.jpg

This one will become B2 Sir Sam Fay in 1930's condition. I abandoned this project when I decided to model Hadley Wood in the 1930's, as Sir Sam had gone back to the GC by then. However, I've discovered that Frank Giles recorded the loco passing through New Southgate in April 1936 on an Up excursion. That's a good enough reason to go back to this one. The body is 3D printed on an adapted Farish Jubilee chassis. The tender body is a Union Mills product but is powered by a custom built tender drive made by my good friend Hans Starman - I've got another B2 to build for him, in GCR livery, as payment for his work. I'm certain these will prove to be easier projects than Tim's Valour!

Splendid work as always, Steve,

Thanks for showing us.

I'm glad to see there's some 'bartering' taking place (although I was told recently that barter is subject to tax, so I'd keep silent!), but it's even more good to see that most of what you've illustrated is your own work.

Self-reliance and personal craftsmanship. What more could one ask from this thread?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for showing us.

I'm glad to see there's some 'bartering' taking place (although I was told recently that barter is subject to tax, so I'd keep silent!), but it's even more good to see that most of what you've illustrated is your own work.

Self-reliance and personal craftsmanship. What more could one ask from this thread?

Regards,

Tony. 

For me, and I know many others, the social aspect of the hobby is very important and having things on the layout made by friends, either by bartering or badgering, gives me a lot of pleasure.

Talking of bartering, I've just finescaled another 4F Steve so the wheels are in your growing stash!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

If Mo ever reads this she is bound to at least FAINT.  :angry:

Ah,

But she knows I'm considering one, Derek,

The putative Kiveton Park is still in mind, but who knows? 

Anyway, she thinks I'm too old to start making another! However, I still think I've got one more exhibition layout in me............................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Atso said:

I completely agree that Tamiya masking tape is a great product. It generally sticks well, has never lifted the paint of any of my models and is excellent at its job. I don't use any other kind of masking tape now.

It's also good for holding bits of model tightly together while solvent sets - a tip I got from military modelling.

For masking, I reduce the tack on it very slightly by putting it on a bit of non-fluffy fabric then peeling it off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony.

I believe the tax term for bartering is "benefit in kind" but have no idea how it is applied on a non-business basis.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Talking of bartering, I've just finescaled another 4F Steve so the wheels are in your growing stash!

Thank you Jerry, most appreciated. I do have your email by the way.

I stick my Tamiya tape on a window before applying to a model. I've yet to have it pull paint off having reduced the level of tack in this way.

Regarding tax: a new tax law introduced within the last couple of years allows private individuals to supplement their income by up to £1,000, without incurring any  additional tax. The caveat is that you have to be able to prove that this income has been derived from dealing with other private individuals. Admittedly £1,000 might not cover all model railway horse trading…

Edited by Anglian
spelling error
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, she thinks I'm too old to start making another! However, I still think I've got one more exhibition layout in me............................

Regards,

Tony. 

Another shed on Mo's lawn. That'll be an interesting conversation....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Anglian said:

I stick my Tamiya tape on a window before applying to a model. I've yet to have it pull paint off having reduced the level of tack in this way.

Regarding tax: a new tax law introduced within the last couple of years allows private individuals to supplement their income by up to £1,000, without incurring any  additional tax. The caveat is that you have to be able to prove that this income has been derived from dealing with other private individuals. Admittedly £1,000 might not cover all model railway horse trading…

One of the all-too-rare sensible tax measures and it was introduced with very little fanfare.  A really good clear-out on car boot sales and eBay etc., can raise £1000 over a year, especially if clearing an estate, for example, but you're unlikely to be doing that EVERY year.  It made complete sense for the IR to say he would ignore this.  If you are making more than a grand a year, every year from this sort of selling, it can reasonably be argued you are at least partially, making a living from it, so it deserves to be taxed as income.  I have seen any number of people who are car booting every weekend; it is clearly their living (tax free).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Ah,

But she knows I'm considering one, Derek,

The putative Kiveton Park is still in mind, but who knows? 

Regards,

Tony. 

A DCC sound equipped diesel era MPD won’t take up much space, Tony!   You’re going to need somewhere to park those Deltics....

• Funny 5

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Another shed on Mo's lawn. That'll be an interesting conversation....

It'll be in the garage,

If it's anywhere. 

I had it in the back of my mind to build everything myself on the possible new exhibition layout of Kiveton Park. However, such have been the offers of support and help, if it does ever come to pass, it'll be yet another typical group project. 

At least no locos and stock will need building. I've built a B17 for the boat train, plus Brits as successors, and any number of smaller types, including a couple of D11s which aren't appropriate for LB.

On a different note, friend Dave Wager came today to examine what needs doing to complete the girder bridge. He's decided (and I'm delighted) that having built just about all of it to date, he'll complete it; ready for me to take some fresh shots to tie-in with Little Bytham's appearance in the RM early next year. So, it's gone home with him, leaving a gap reminiscent of March 1963. 

Trains ran, and the conversation was a joy. He really is a most-diligent modeller. I couldn't resist running the W1 I've made on 14 kit-built bogies, then substituting my sole Hornby A4. All that happened was that the rails and the tyres on the loco's drivers just got polished! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Chamby said:

A DCC sound equipped diesel era MPD won’t take up much space, Tony!   You’re going to need somewhere to park those Deltics....

Don't get me going on that Phil,

I think the small(ish) diesel MPD layout has become so formulaic over the last few years as to be almost a series of clones. Those with DCC sound throb and drone away, almost to the point of being annoying (especially if one is exhibiting alongside such a layout). 

In my view, very few are convincing. The real diesel depots I visited with my camera in the '70s and '80s were much larger than most I see represented, even the smaller one like Buxton. I'm sure many, if actually built in reality would be unworkable. 

Not only that, apart from some of the locos built by the likes of Clive Mortimer, everything appears to be just modified RTR. Not my personal cup of tea at all, but each to their own. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

One of the all-too-rare sensible tax measures and it was introduced with very little fanfare.  A really good clear-out on car boot sales and eBay etc., can raise £1000 over a year, especially if clearing an estate, for example, but you're unlikely to be doing that EVERY year.  It made complete sense for the IR to say he would ignore this.  If you are making more than a grand a year, every year from this sort of selling, it can reasonably be argued you are at least partially, making a living from it, so it deserves to be taxed as income.  I have seen any number of people who are car booting every weekend; it is clearly their living (tax free).

You need to be careful with Flea Bay. I once sold several hundred items from a friends estate, netting several thousand. Ebay asked me if I wanted to be a power seller which I believe would have automatic notification to Hmrc. Fortunately I had kept detailed accounts to show that only rhe friends estate benefited. Ultimately a substatial sum came from the estate to the model railway club and helped us to buy our freehold.

Jamie

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1