Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Evening Tony,

I've got the J6 finished for now (it still needs crew and lamps but I haven't got any to hand at the moment). The balance weights in the end came from a Markits 4F detail pack.

IMG_3188%5B1%5D.JPG.4e9475cd9fc9be64ee96613618d52601.JPG1282397374_IMG_31891.JPG.2823b203a6dc7d45a3a6449d9dd4d51c.JPG1355560702_IMG_31901.JPG.3d2d9053ca8b69429337fcadc001e028.JPG

Excuse the poor photo plank.

Regards,

Jamie

That looks great Jamie, nicely done. The J6s are one of my favourite locomotives and you've really capture the character of class.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Evening Tony,

I've got the J6 finished for now (it still needs crew and lamps but I haven't got any to hand at the moment). The balance weights in the end came from a Markits 4F detail pack.

IMG_3188%5B1%5D.JPG.4e9475cd9fc9be64ee96613618d52601.JPG1282397374_IMG_31891.JPG.2823b203a6dc7d45a3a6449d9dd4d51c.JPG1355560702_IMG_31901.JPG.3d2d9053ca8b69429337fcadc001e028.JPG

Excuse the poor photo plank.

Regards,

Jamie

Great stuff, Jamie

Nice and mucky - a real workaday loco.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Fortunately I had kept detailed accounts to show that only the friends estate benefited.

Jamie

....At which point HMRC jumps on the estate for yet more Inheritance Tax.

What the Tax man giveth, the Tax Man taketh away.....  :(

Edited by polybear

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, polybear said:

....At which point HMRC jumps on the estate for yet more Inheritance Tax.

What the Tax man giveth, the Tax Man taketh away.....  :(

Fortunately in this case The estate had been well planned and HMRC got zilch.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, The Snapper said:

Surprised you were in the shed. I couldn’t get my eyes off the cricket!

Yes,

Very exciting, and wonderful that England are cricket world champions. New Zealand deserve great respect as well for how they fought. 

However, though I'm a great cricket fan, discussion on what to do with regard to finishing the girder bridge took precedence. We did, however, look at the game from time to time......................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Atso said:

That looks great Jamie, nicely done. The J6s are one of my favourite locomotives and you've really capture the character of class.

I thoroughly agree, Steve,

Interestingly, the J6 always seems to score highly on wish-list polls for new RTR locos (or that's what I've been told, since I don't really look at them). 

That's in OO of course, but who knows? At least the likes of SE Finecast and London Road Models will continue to sell their kits for the type. I even built one from a WSM kit many years ago. That was 'interesting'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Out of possible interest, with regard to 'tax' on sales of models on behalf of others or on donations, Mo and I have recently sought professional advice.

To the extent that we've now set up a separate account for any monies going to bereaved families or from donations to CRUK. Perhaps naively, I just wrote appropriate cheques after banking any money. It soon topped the £1,000.00 per year mark for tax exemption, and I didn't want anyone to think it was monies I was earning. 

Also naively (acting on advice given here), we advised CRUK that they could claim tax back on any donations we made if it were declared as 'gift aid'. However, since it wasn't our money I was donating, I could have ended paying tax on what we sent! 

In fairness, the whole thing has just ballooned (we're not far off our target of £3,000.00 donated already this year), but I've no wish to be 'penalised' for doing something essentially charitable. 

Our accountant and HM tax inspectorate now have all the necessary information.  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Concerning tax on horse-trading, if VAT isn't involved and the activity is not your business there is no need to declare anything. 

If it is your business, then notional cost or benefit should be shown but these could end up showing as equal and not incur a liability. 

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I even built one from a WSM kit many years ago. That was 'interesting'.

The second white metal kit I ever built in 4mm. I've still got it but goodness it looks a bit rough! See what a difference of 45 years does to the modelling of the same engine....

IMG_3434_rdcd.jpg.17c7655d9bf180ffcd902c396952421f.jpg

The accumulated dust and dirt on the WSM kit in the foreground is from years of unloved open storage (although it's been kept in a box in recent years). Note the funny idiosyncrasies on the WSM kit due to lack of observation of the prototype - the handrails bent in from the smokebox to the boiler (result of not looking at photos of the prototype!!), the handrail on the cab side which is anything but horizontal and the missing/broken hand hold at the front of the tender. Funny thing is, it still gives off that J6 feeling in spite of all the shortcomings. In OO,  I have no idea whether it still runs...

• Like 14

I can only admire your restraint, Tony. I'm not a fan of the pyjama game, but the novelty of seeing cricket on free to air TV again started me watching and then by the end you wouldn't have dragged me from it.  I haven't seen a match so tense and enthralling since Edgbaston 2005.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Interestingly, the J6 always seems to score highly on wish-list polls for new RTR locos (or that's what I've been told, since I don't really look at them). 

That's in OO of course, but who knows? At least the likes of SE Finecast and London Road Models will continue to sell their kits for the type. I even built one from a WSM kit many years ago. That was 'interesting'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I don't think the J6 featured as highly on the N gauge wish-list Tony. There wasn't even an N gauge wish-list run last time, apparently due to the lack of uptake and the time taken to prepare the survey.

I'm actually quite envious of the range of LNER locomotives available as RTR products in OO gauge (albeit no J6!). In N gauge, the main manufacturers (excluding Union Mills), have produced, to modern standards, the following locomotives:

• A3 (currently out of production)
  • A4
  • B17
  • J39
  • B1
  • A1
  • A2

In addition older, less detailed, and out of production, models included a V2, J69 (1960's) and a J94.

For the modeller of the 1930's LNER scene, the RTR range is very limited indeed (four locomotives to modern standards) with no signs that it will be expanded any time soon. A J72 was announced by both Farish and Dapol a few years back, but both projects seem to have been put on indefinite hold.

A J6 white metal body kit was produced by Graham Hughes, but this has been out of production for some time (and seem to be rarer than Hen's teeth). Hughes kits were, in my opinion, some of the best kits available in N gauge, but obviously suffered a little from the need to use somewhat generic donor chassis.

Edited by Atso
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony and Atso

The J6 has fared as below in the recent 00 Wishlist Polls:

2013 - Middle of the Middle Polling Segment

2014 - Bottom of the High Polling Segment

2015 - Top of the Middle Polling Segment

2016 - High up in the Middle Polling Segment

2017 - The Poll didn't run this year

2018 - High up in the Middle Polling Segment

Notes:

1. The Poll hovers around 720 items per year - but will be slightly bigger in 2019.

2. To assist voters with gauging where any of their voted items end up, we split the content into roughly three parts: High; Middle; and Low Polling. About 240 items in each segment.

3. As you can see from the list above, the loco has remained fairly consistently high up in the Middle Polling Segment.

4. In 2018, the J6 was 28th out of 70 LNER locos listed (which roughly concurs with its overall position).

5. We last ran an N Poll in 2016 where the J6 was in the upper echelons of the Low Polling Segment.

6. About a decade ago - when the erstwhile MREmag was running under the management of Pat Hammond - the J6 was much talked about.

7. If my memory serves me well, I did raise the question here of why the J6 wasn't faring as well as many might imagine, but the replies were inconclusive.

8. Personally, I need two for my layout.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

A J6 is next on the list for my work bench, hopefully the j39 will look good enough for me to attempt loco kit number two....

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

A J6 is next on the list for my work bench, hopefully the j39 will look good enough for me to attempt loco kit number two....

With the way you modelling keeps progressing Jesse, I'm sure that both the J39 and future J6 will look stunning!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Tony and Atso

The J6 has fared as below in the recent 00 Wishlist Polls:

2013 - Middle of the Middle Polling Segment

2014 - Bottom of the High Polling Segment

2015 - Top of the Middle Polling Segment

2016 - High up in the Middle Polling Segment

2017 - The Poll didn't run this year

2018 - High up in the Middle Polling Segment

Notes:

1. The Poll hovers around 720 items per year - but will be slightly bigger in 2019.

2. To assist voters with gauging where any of their voted items end up, we split the content into roughly three parts: High; Middle; and Low Polling. About 240 items in each segment.

3. As you can see from the list above, the loco has remained fairly consistently high up in the Middle Polling Segment.

4. In 2018, the J6 was 28th out of 70 LNER locos listed (which roughly concurs with its overall position).

5. We last ran an N Poll in 2016 where the J6 was in the upper echelons of the Low Polling Segment.

6. About a decade ago - when the erstwhile MREmag was running under the management of Pat Hammond - the J6 was much talked about.

7. If my memory serves me well, I did raise the question here of why the J6 wasn't faring as well as many might imagine, but the replies were inconclusive.

8. Personally, I need two for my layout.

Thank you so much for looking that up Brian. Also, I hope my comments about the N gauge poll was not taken as criticism; I fully understand and support the reasons why the N gauge poll was dropped.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Atso said:

With the way you modelling keeps progressing Jesse, I'm sure that both the J39 and future J6 will look stunning!

Many thanks Steve, Well I must admit, I seen the chassis rolling under it’s own power at the local shop after the wizard, Ian, tidied up a few things, mainly the pick ups. He’s adding the excellent stuff called DCC to it this week. So apart from the pick ups everything else is my own work....at least now when I decide to build another kit I can copy the way the way he has done them. 

Im sure I’ll get some more lessons this year from Sir. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Atso said:

Thank you so much for looking that up Brian. Also, I hope my comments about the N gauge poll was not taken as criticism; I fully understand and support the reasons why the N gauge poll was dropped.

Hello Atso

No criticism taken at all, Steve, and many thanks for your understanding of the circumstances. I have now gone back a little further in N for you concerning the J6.

2013 - About middle of Low Polling

2014 - About middle of Low Polling

2015 - About middle of Low Polling

So, in 2016, it had climbed the ladder just a little.

At present, I  can't give you any update on whether an N Poll will run, but will advise to RMweb as soon I have any news.

• Thanks 1

On 09/07/2019 at 08:20, Michael Edge said:

That suggests your 0 gauge builder was going to take an awfully long time to build the kit. Disregarding any comments about how much I currently charge per hour (nowhere near enough apparently), my main point was that it shouldn't take nearly as long as some imagine.

1592263697_06-04A4lf.JPG.e0d64be46a3829cab431256cd8ef060f.JPG

This is the Finney A4 which took me 71.5 hours to build, including the inside connecting rod and full valve gear. Although I didn't make the crank axle or machine the wheels in this case, these costs would have been irrelevant using Slater's wheels and ignoring the middle engine - which is all but invisible anyway.

1006697916_06-04frpaintedsmall.jpg.58d8f7de7527e988fa91a20bcbf83a25.jpg

Finally painted and photographed by Ian Rathbone.

06-04 tender br.JPG

On 08/07/2019 at 20:11, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for that,

Firstly, I'm intrigued by your 'name'. Because there never was an A3 numbered 113. Is it because GREAT NORTHERN has already been taken?

And so to the purpose of my response.............

'Even Golden Age Models with their expensive brass Eastern Region  BR pacifics have got the return crank lean wrong on the Peppercorn A1 and A2s. In 0 gauge these cost around the £3000 pound mark'.

The following two images prove you right.

1337738696_GoldenAgeA101.jpg.0cc71ad6fb59d4b49588f594d8172a0a.jpg

108171747_GoldenAgeA201.jpg.8ddfb22b2916cbeb868d90cc8ab72d95.jpg

Both of these (to be fair) were pre-production models. In the case of the A1, I pointed out to the proprietor that 60156 was Doncaster-built, so should have a (visible) riveted tender, and that it was a roller-bearing example; thus, should only have one lubricator and round-ends to the axlebox keeps on the Cartazzi frames and tender. As for the red-painted tender dragbeam! Whether my observations were acted upon, I don't know, but the proprietor was surprised when I refused to take pictures of two of his O Gauge A4s. 'Why not?' Do you really want to see an image in the mag of an A4 named KING FISHER and another one named LORD FARRINGDON?' I suppose language problems - English/Korean? One would have thought that, at the price, the correct 'lean' to the eccentric crank should be evident. 

1382064640_GoldenAgeMN3502201.jpg.6951c87d58de576ce946b78b03f71023.jpg

It's actually right on the rebuilt 'MN', leaning (as it should) towards the rear. It's right on both sides as well.

1514637696_60027GoldenAge.jpg.ff61184d2fd7772cd73a6870e4fb389b.jpg

That correct 'lean' is also apparent on the OO Golden Age A4. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, the reason i chose the name is nobody else is using it, a Hornby A3 I have will soon be renamed and renumbered to 60113. this is to suit my personal modelling needs. Since my "modellers" licence is some fifty years old it was about time it was used. A P1 kit from PDK may well end up in BR livery with maybe a double chimney,that decision is yet to be made.   

• Thanks 1

That suggests your 0 gauge builder was going to take an awfully long time to build the kit. Disregarding any comments about how much I currently charge per hour (nowhere near enough apparently), my main point was that it shouldn't take nearly as long as some imagine.

This is the Finney A4 which took me 71.5 hours to build, including the inside connecting rod and full valve gear. Although I didn't make the crank axle or machine the wheels in this case, these costs would have been irrelevant using Slater's wheels and ignoring the middle engine - which is all but invisible anyway.

06-04 tender br.JPG

06-04 tender br.JPG

I was surprised how quickly you built the Finney A4. The photos Show really good workmanship.This also proves that before commissioning someone to build a model for you a great deal of research into who can build what for the budget you have needs to be done.   

On 08/07/2019 at 21:18, mullie said:

I am just about to start building a Comet chassis for a J39 in EM. Can I ask how anyone who has built a J39 chassis has dealt with this linkage as no provision is made in the kit for adding it? It would appear that to add it a very precise hole will need drilling in the chassis side and I'm not sure I'm up to that.

IMG_20190708_200253636_HDR.jpg.e9918aa287063a4a8112f738bd656ae4.jpg

Many thanks for any help offered.

Martyn

Have you looked into using the Dave Bradwell J39 chassis kit as this apparently has all these linkages included in the kit. Can be built rigid if you so desire.

2 hours ago, BR A3 113 said:

Have you looked into using the Dave Bradwell J39 chassis kit as this apparently has all these linkages included in the kit. Can be built rigid if you so desire.

The Comet J39 is only the second chassis I have built. I bought it around a year ago but the build was delayed because Wizard Models didn't have the Markits wheels. At the time I didn't know about the Bradwell kit. 

The Comet chassis is designed to be built rigid, I do want to build a sprung chassis next if possible.Using the Poppy's jig everything seems nice and square. My J72 the first chassis build has come out well even though I effectively built it twice, first in 00 then in EM. It is numbered as one of those shedded at Ipswich in 1950 and as an 0-6-0 seemed to be a good place to start.

Thanks for the interest.

Martyn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the spirit of 'making things' in this thread, I haven't had much to show lately but have just finished making this LNER designed 'BZ' 6-wheeled brake, from the excellent and most-enjoyable kit produced by Ian Macdonald.

P1020993.jpg.edc444a8f3161a84edc2fa6310d6d55a.jpg

I've written a bit more about it on my 'Workbench' thread:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54704-31a-c-w/page/3/#comments

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6