Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 hours ago, Clem said:

The second white metal kit I ever built in 4mm. I've still got it but goodness it looks a bit rough! See what a difference of 45 years does to the modelling of the same engine....

IMG_3434_rdcd.jpg.17c7655d9bf180ffcd902c396952421f.jpg

The accumulated dust and dirt on the WSM kit in the foreground is from years of unloved open storage (although it's been kept in a box in recent years). Note the funny idiosyncrasies on the WSM kit due to lack of observation of the prototype - the handrails bent in from the smokebox to the boiler (result of not looking at photos of the prototype!!), the handrail on the cab side which is anything but horizontal and the missing/broken hand hold at the front of the tender. Funny thing is, it still gives off that J6 feeling in spite of all the shortcomings. In OO,  I have no idea whether it still runs...

Much the same age, Clem,

677465534_WSMJ6.jpg.90d9fb9250f59b66c165a91116ce7102.jpg

Scratch-built chassis and devoid of all but the most rudimentary detail.

When you next come over bring yours with you and we'll give it a run.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, 31A said:

In the spirit of 'making things' in this thread, I haven't had much to show lately but have just finished making this LNER designed 'BZ' 6-wheeled brake, from the excellent and most-enjoyable kit produced by Ian Macdonald.

Looking forward to building mine. Hopefully going for seconds....

14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

When you next come over bring yours with you and we'll give it a run.

Yes I will, although I will feel a little embarrassed with it how poorly I built it. Your's looks a far better build and finish. As soon as I had built my first Nucast J6, I'm afraid the WSM model (which limped a little bit going forward if I remember correctly) was consigned to the shelf. But I suppose I do have a funny sentimental attachment to it as it was one of those important first steps of trying to make something.

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, 31A said:

I was thinking about that myself!

I think Ian's running some more off in the next few weeks. Seeing your's in the flesh hasn't half wetted my appetite! Lovely job! Did you varnish it after painting? it's a got a nice steel panel sheen.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clem!

The painting went:  Halford's etching primer (which is grey), Halford's red oxide primer, Halford's Ford Burgundy Red (two coats I think), Johnson's Klear to make a gloss base for the waterslide transfers, then another coat of the same to seal the transfers, then finally a quick waft of Humbrol Satin Varnish.  After that, some weathering with Humbrol enamels.

I was disappointed that the Ford Burgundy Red came out slightly 'orange peel' (despite what I thought were ideal spraying conditions), but the subsequent varnish seems to have hidden the worst of it.

Ideally I would have used Methfix transfers (which have no carrier film) and in that case would have used fewer coats of varnish, but had run out of 'E's on all the Methfix sheets I've got!  I would have preferred to use fewer coats of varnish as the more coats the more risk of the result looking 'gloopy', and more risk of picking up 'foreign bodies' in the paint, but it seems to have come out reasonably well.

• Informative/Useful 3

My own modelling efforts have been a bit limited the last few days due to being on antibiotics and some pretty powerful pain killers.

However, in my more lucid moments I have been progressing my repaint of a black Dapol corridor tender into LNER apple green. As the loco this tender will be paired with is already in more or less the correct livery, I've been trying to match the Dapol finish as closely as I can.

20190715_174128.jpg.c502f0d0b0cc46df4625665c728d4b77.jpg

It's got a few wobbles that need sorting out but, considering this is the first time I've managed to get two consistent(ish) parallel white lines using a bow pen on the center panel lining, I'm reasonably happy with how it has turned out. The corners are brush painted along with a lot of cleaning up with white spirit! The tender at the back is Dapol's factory finish as a cruel comparison to me effort.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

11 minutes ago, 31A said:

The painting went:  Halford's etching primer (which is grey), Halford's red oxide primer, Halford's Ford Burgundy Red (two coats I think), Johnson's Klear to make a gloss base for the waterslide transfers, then another coat of the same to seal the transfers, then finally a quick waft of Humbrol Satin Varnish.  After that, some weathering with Humbrol enamels.

Is that the original Johnson's Klear? ... and the Humbrol satin varnish is that the 'Clear' varnish or enamel? The reason I'm asking is that I've just done some RTR repaints and used Humbrol Gloss Clear on the Peppercorn Lavatory Composite and Brake Third. It's not a write-off but I'm less than 100% happy with the finish.  I did think of using several coats of Johnson's Klear but I haven't any of the original, only the new formula which I've had mixed results with before.

IMG_3438_rdcd.jpg.d155b74fcf10165c1671461b39c422ea.jpgIMG_3439_rdcd.jpg.f6fae303cb1c3ea43c7c3e25c0486a5a.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Clem said:

Is that the original Johnson's Klear? ... and the Humbrol satin varnish is that the 'Clear' varnish or enamel? The reason I'm asking is that I've just done some RTR repaints and used Humbrol Gloss Clear on the Peppercorn Lavatory Composite and Brake Third. It's not a write-off but I'm less than 100% happy with the finish.  I did think of using several coats of Johnson's Klear but I haven't any of the original, only the new formula which I've had mixed results with before.

Yes, it is the original Johnson's Klear - luckily I've still got about 3/4 pint of it, and it hasn't gone off or anything!  The Humbrol satin varnish is called "Varnish Satin 135" on the aerosol lid and says "Acrylic Varnish" on the side of the can.  I have read mixed reports (on here) of the Humbrol "Clear" but have never used it myself.  Your coaches look OK in those pictures, but photos don't always pick up everything!

9 hours ago, Headstock said:

I'm starting to enjoy my breaks from railway modeling a little too much. Still,  I managed to finished off this Thompson CL over the weekend.

Hi Andrew, Lovely. That's the kind of finish to these RTRs I've been looking for. If I may can I ask what method you used to paint them. I brush painted mine very carefully (3 coats for teak panelled crimson and 4 for  steel panelled). I was happy with the finish but found the varnish seemed to leave it less smooth on close inspection, although the reflection on the sides gives a reasonable impression cleanish steel panelling when the coach is moving. Did you take your's apart and spray as was my initial thought? I was going to do that  but I just couldn't face all the masking off so many windows.(Laziness strikes again!)

9 hours ago, 31A said:

Yes, it is the original Johnson's Klear - luckily I've still got about 3/4 pint of it, and it hasn't gone off or anything!  The Humbrol satin varnish is called "Varnish Satin 135" on the aerosol lid and says "Acrylic Varnish" on the side of the can.  I have read mixed reports (on here) of the Humbrol "Clear" but have never used it myself.  Your coaches look OK in those pictures, but photos don't always pick up everything!

Hi Steve. Thanks for that. I thought you probably used the original Klear. Your method certainly has put the icing on the cake.  I find that I get little particles appearing in the new formula. I wish I could get hold of some of the original but it's like going in search of the lost chord! I've used a different shade of red to you as mine is pre-1956 livery change.

Edited by Clem
  • Thanks 1

On 14/07/2019 at 21:00, JamieR4489 said:

Evening Tony,

I've got the J6 finished for now (it still needs crew and lamps but I haven't got any to hand at the moment). The balance weights in the end came from a Markits 4F detail pack.

IMG_3188%5B1%5D.JPG.4e9475cd9fc9be64ee96613618d52601.JPG1282397374_IMG_31891.JPG.2823b203a6dc7d45a3a6449d9dd4d51c.JPG1355560702_IMG_31901.JPG.3d2d9053ca8b69429337fcadc001e028.JPG

Excuse the poor photo plank.

Regards,

Jamie

One of the first times I became aware of the J6 was an article - possibly published over two or three issues - in the Railway Modeller in the mid-CJF era, entitled "Building a J6 twice, Which Twin is Toni?" by Peter Everton.  He describes scratch-building two J6s, one in OO, the other in EM.  Both exquisitly modelled.  His modelling was of a really high standard and I recall seeing some of his exquisite 7mm LNER models on display at a museum in Scotland.

P1000111.JPG.4b16fdb0395db1dcf4f54b0bc07879b1.JPG

P1000112.JPG.3369eca0a404c01d6e4686904ec395ec.JPG

Edited by Adam88
Returning lost photos
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

7 hours ago, Adam88 said:

One of the first times I became aware of the J6 was an article - possibly published over two or three issues - in the Railway Modeller in the mid-CJF era, entitled "Building a J6 twice, Which Twin is Toni?" by Peter Everton.  He describes scratch-building two J6s, one in OO, the other in EM.  Both exquisitly modelled.  His modelling was of a really high standard and I recall seeing some of his exquisite 7mm LNER models on display at a museum in Scotland.

Hi Adam. I remember that article! It was brilliant. He used 3mm scale wheels for driving wheels so that the flanges would be closer to scale - (before the days of proto4). I've still got it somewhere. I'll see if I can look it out.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Adam88 said:

P1000111a.jpg

P1000112a.jpg

Peter Everton!

One of the finest locomotive builders of all time.

I wish I had some of my own photographs of his work. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clem said:

I thought you probably used the original Klear. Your method certainly has put the icing on the cake.  I find that I get little particles appearing in the new formula. I wish I could get hold of some of the original but it's like going in search of the lost chord!

You can still get the old formula Klear.  It's now called Johnson's Pledge Revive It (the name keeps changing, but it is the original 'clear Klear').  It's not on general sale in the UK and Europe, having been replaced in shops here by the milky formulation that's just not quite right.  As a result the original 'clear Klear' is specially imported in limited volumes from the USA largely it seems for use by the model making community.  The £13 price tag (for 0.8 litres/1.4 pints, incl. delivery) made me flinch a bit, but once I started using it again I forgave the price.  I bought it through Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ARPH4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  but I'm sure there'd be other outlets.

• Informative/Useful 6

32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

In comparison with Peter Everton's work, I'm hesitant to illustrate my J6s again

You can never have too many pictures of J6s in my opinion! I can't lay my hands on the Peter Everton article at the moment but if I do, I'll post it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, PJT said:

You can still get the old formula Klear.  It's now called Johnson's Pledge Revive It (the name keeps changing, but it is the original 'clear Klear').  It's not on general sale in the UK and Europe, having been replaced in shops here by the milky formulation that's just not quite right.  As a result the original 'clear Klear' is specially imported in limited volumes from the USA largely it seems for use by the model making community.  The £13 price tag (for 0.8 litres/1.4 pints, incl. delivery) made me flinch a bit, but once I started using it again I forgave the price.  I bought it through Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ARPH4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  but I'm sure there'd be other outlets.

Already ordered. Thank you so much for the info. I've been wanting to get my hands on some for the last few years!

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Clem said:

Found it....

Building_a_J6_Twice_001.pdf 2.11 MB · 10 downloads

As it's over 50 years old(!!) I assume it's out of copyright. If I'm wrong, of course I'll delete it.

If it is a written work, not published by the Crown, then it won't be out of copyright until 70 years from the end of the calendar year of the author's death. However, it is more complex than "you just can't copy it," as there are exemptions for copying for private use/education study. 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, john new said:

If it is a written work, not published by the Crown, then it won't be out of copyright until 70 years from the end of the calendar year of the author's death. However, it is more complex than "you just can't copy it," as there are exemptions for copying for private use/education study. 

Should I remove it then? ... Or will everyone who happens to open it be privately studying it?

• Friendly/supportive 2