Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, John Smart said:

John,

Dave is making these out of plastic sections, so they are one-offs. 

John Smart

Parkside do sets of a variety of trestle, intended to fit the Plate wagon.

There are drawings of another variety in 'An Illustrated History of BR Wagons'

Whilst a lot of these vehicles spent their working lives in the major shipbuilding regions; they did go to some odd places; I encountered both 4 wheel and bogie Trestles at Barnstaple. This was the nearest railhead to Appledore Shipyard.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Will these do?

A pair of scratch built German ferry wagons in 1/148. I'm waiting until I've got a few things ready before setting up the airbrush.

Diagram E006GermanE006.jpg.ecf632fbe4d358507f9b86c6b4e02775.jpg

Diagram E277Tcefs.jpg.64b98a13cadbf00b36f92d5101ca5b4c.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Lovely!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Theakerr said:

Any feel on how much power the new motors fitted to the DJH gearbox put out?  Based on the ratio of the width to the gearbox width, i.e. 1:1 it looks smaller than the bigger Mashima motors.

I'm not very scientific in any of my loco-building. Any I make has to do the equivalent job of its prototype. 

The motor is about the same size as the smaller Mashimas (not the smallest), perhaps a tiny bit smaller. I have a ready-built Nu-Cast K1, so I just put the loco body on this new chassis and it quite happily pushed 40 wagons. I think that's enough. 

I've been requested by DJH to thoroughly test it - hauling (or pushing, the effort is the same) some 40 wagons for about two hours at a reasonable (appropriate) speed, and report accordingly. On bench-testing this morning it ran for nearly an hour without showing any signs of getting warm. The gearbox for it (modified) has a brass worm, which I think is superior (in my experience) to nylon, and it's very quiet. If anyone would like to see it, I'll have it with me tomorrow at the CMRA Skills Day at Parmiter's School, Watford. 

One chap who often goes to the event is Eddie Bourne, of St. Merryn fame (P4). He won't be there tomorrow, but he visited LB this afternoon. Only one thing disappointed him. Nothing derailed!. Thanks for your kind comments, Eddie.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know that the reliability and the ease of use of the Romford/Markits wheels are a big plus but a word of warning.

Tonight we have had a major failure due to the materials used in the construction of the wheel.

Namely, a loco was running badly and on inspection, two of the tyres had come loose on the insulated wheels. When I tried to get the tyres off to allow me to get some Superglue/Loctite between the tread and the centre, the insulating material just disintegrated.

So I started checking the wheel size to see if I have spares in stock and was astonished to find that the diameter of the wheels are 20.7mm, a non standard size. They have worn to a smaller size.

So we get all these problems and the loco has only been running on the wheels for 72 years. I bet they are out of warranty!

The loco is a "Pom-pom" (Class J11 to you modern types) which should have 5'2" driving wheels. After all that running the 21mm Romfords have actually worn down by 0.3mm but it has made them almost exactly right size rather than being too big.

I don't have any spare 21mm wheels but I do have some 20mm ones that came off an old N5 of mine many years ago. They are right scale size over the flange. First I am trying something I have never done before and I have cleaned up the old wheels and spread a layer of two part epoxy round the edge of the cast centre. I will then get out the lathe that I bought years ago but never use and skim the epoxy until I can put the tyre back on, either as a press fit or with more epoxy.

Has anybody ever tried this and what are my chances?

The joys of mucking about with really old layouts!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I know that the reliability and the ease of use of the Romford/Markits wheels are a big plus but a word of warning.

Tonight we have had a major failure due to the materials used in the construction of the wheel.

Namely, a loco was running badly and on inspection, two of the tyres had come loose on the insulated wheels. When I tried to get the tyres off to allow me to get some Superglue/Loctite between the tread and the centre, the insulating material just disintegrated.

So I started checking the wheel size to see if I have spares in stock and was astonished to find that the diameter of the wheels are 20.7mm, a non standard size. They have worn to a smaller size.

So we get all these problems and the loco has only been running on the wheels for 72 years. I bet they are out of warranty!

The loco is a "Pom-pom" (Class J11 to you modern types) which should have 5'2" driving wheels. After all that running the 21mm Romfords have actually worn down by 0.3mm but it has made them almost exactly right size rather than being too big.

I don't have any spare 21mm wheels but I do have some 20mm ones that came off an old N5 of mine many years ago. They are right scale size over the flange. First I am trying something I have never done before and I have cleaned up the old wheels and spread a layer of two part epoxy round the edge of the cast centre. I will then get out the lathe that I bought years ago but never use and skim the epoxy until I can put the tyre back on, either as a press fit or with more epoxy.

That's the criterion I tend to use when choosing wheels - also, if I can't get the exact size I go smaller, as did the real ones when they were turned.

7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Should have used friction-fit wheels, Tony,

Seriously (if ever I can be accused of that), just about all the locos I've built with Romfords/Markits are carried on wheels which are too small a diameter; for instance, 26mm for the LNER 6' 8" Pacifics. By the time the over-scale flanges are factored-in, and 'natural' tyre wear on the real things, they're just right. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony, the method should work.   Many years ago, at least 50, I was able to convert two HD 3 rail locos to 2 rail by a similar means using araldite.   Two points, Use the proper Araldite and let it cure properly rather than the rapid version.   Then experiment with the speed setting on your lathe.  I can't  remember , now what speeds we used but it did machine.   Good luck.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Tony, the method should work.   Many years ago, at least 50, I was able to convert two HD 3 rail locos to 2 rail by a similar means using araldite.   Two points, Use the proper Araldite and let it cure properly rather than the rapid version.   Then experiment with the speed setting on your lathe.  I can't  remember , no what speeds we used but it did machine.   Good luck.

Jamie

Araldite Rapid has improved over the intervening 50 years.  Certainly, I'll be using it during the sermon tomorrow, to stick an ear back onto the crib donkey.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Tony, the method should work.   Many years ago, at least 50, I was able to convert two HD 3 rail locos to 2 rail by a similar means using araldite.   Two points, Use the proper Araldite and let it cure properly rather than the rapid version.   Then experiment with the speed setting on your lathe.  I can't  remember , no what speeds we used but it did machine.   Good luck.

Jamie

Thanks for the advice Jamie. It was just a little too late as I had already applied 20 minute epoxy (available from Wilkinsons a while ago) 

Every once in a while whichever deity overseas our hobby smiles and works some magic.

This morning, I thought I would check to see if I had put enough epoxy on by seeing if the tyre would slip over it or not. Both tyres were a tight push fit on the epoxy. I put them on an axle and ran them in a mini drill and they ran as true as any wheel could. A spot of superglue to secure the tread and the wheels went back on and the rods were refitted. Within 5 minutes the loco was back in traffic running better than it has done for quite a while.

I must have got a lovely even coat of epoxy, exactly the correct thickness round each wheel.

As Malcoln Crawley said from time to time "Jammy Gee strikes again". 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Thanks for the advice Jamie. It was just a little too late as I had already applied 20 minute epoxy (available from Wilkinsons a while ago) 

Every once in a while whichever deity overseas our hobby smiles and works some magic.

This morning, I thought I would check to see if I had put enough epoxy on by seeing if the tyre would slip over it or not. Both tyres were a tight push fit on the epoxy. I put them on an axle and ran them in a mini drill and they ran as true as any wheel could. A spot of superglue to secure the tread and the wheels went back on and the rods were refitted. Within 5 minutes the loco was back in traffic running better than it has done for quite a while.

I must have got a lovely even coat of epoxy, exactly the correct thickness round each wheel.

As Malcoln Crawley said from time to time "Jammy Gee strikes again". 

That's great Tony, glad it worked out for you.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, gr.king said:

But surely God lives in England? Sorry, couldn't resist......

Flipping autocorrect! Well spotted that man. Must stop looking at the computer without my specs.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2019 at 07:28, Tony Wright said:

After my friends had gone, I set to installing the new DJH motor gearbox I was sent. I erected a set of Nu-Cast K1 frames, and popped it in. 

885552888_DJHnewgearbox01.jpg.1a11187eeffef5110ccf8077294db8cd.jpg

1417960015_DJHnewgearbox02.jpg.58a3c3c789762c3cdc74dd7e62780504.jpg

It's superb - silky smooth, quiet and very (for its size) powerful. I don't know the name of the motor's manufacturer, nor the unit price, but I wouldn't be surprised if DJH market it straight away. It's one of the best drives I've ever installed in a loco chassis.

I've just spent  a very enjoyable day at the CMRA Skills Day at Watford (many thanks to the organisers); Tony brought along the K1 chassis and DJH Gearbox (as well as constructing the whitemetal superstructure throughout the day) - the gearbox is every bit a good as Tony says it is; DJH should be onto a winner with this one I think.

As well as the chance to speak with and learn from many first-rate modellers (such as Geoff Haynes, who was demonstrating lining with a bow pen) I was very fortunate to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon talking to Tony on a wide range of subjects, ranging from whitemetal soldering thru' to the finer points of dog management (I kid you not :lol: ).

And despite my best intentions at fending off the purchase of a Little Engines LNER 04/3 Kit at a very fair price, Tony showed no mercy, went for the jugular and managed to slowly but surely grind me into submission.  I'm only a little bear, I really didn't stand a chance.....

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2019 at 16:53, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Will these do?

A pair of scratch built German ferry wagons in 1/148. I'm waiting until I've got a few things ready before setting up the airbrush.

Diagram E006GermanE006.jpg.ecf632fbe4d358507f9b86c6b4e02775.jpg

Diagram E277Tcefs.jpg.64b98a13cadbf00b36f92d5101ca5b4c.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Paul

These look excellent, particularly at 1/148.

I share your interest in such vehicles but at 1/76; are you able to point me at the source material that you have used to create these diagram numbers?

Tony

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've just spent  a very enjoyable day at the CMRA Skills Day at Watford (many thanks to the organisers); Tony brought along the K1 chassis and DJH Gearbox (as well as constructing the whitemetal superstructure throughout the day) - the gearbox is every bit a good as Tony says it is; DJH should be onto a winner with this one I think.

As well as the chance to speak with and learn from many first-rate modellers (such as Geoff Haynes, who was demonstrating lining with a bow pen) I was very fortunate to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon talking to Tony on a wide range of subjects, ranging from whitemetal soldering thru' to the finer points of dog management (I kid you not :lol: ).

And despite my best intentions at fending off the purchase of a Little Engines LNER 04/3 Kit at a very fair price, Tony showed no mercy, went for the jugular and managed to slowly but surely grind me into submission.  I'm only a little bear, I really didn't stand a chance.....

Good to see you, Brian,

I thoroughly enjoyed the chat as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

17 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Thks for the feedback on the new motor.  Sounds like it will be just as good as the old Mashimas and a little smaller which is good

Having completed as much of the loco body today as is necessary to give traction weight, I'll put what's necessary of the tender together tomorrow morning so that it can pull a heavy train. I'll then thoroughly test it (in front of three visiting witnesses), leaving it running round for at least an hour, then report accordingly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Paul

These look excellent, particularly at 1/148.

I share your interest in such vehicles but at 1/76; are you able to point me at the source material that you have used to create these diagram numbers?

Tony

Hi Tony

Thank you.

I used the drawings on the Barrowmore website 

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_01_Issue.pdf page 40 for E006

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_02_Issue.pdf page 5 for E277

Transfers are available from here

https://www.modellbahndecals.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=6579

mine were printed to 1/148 rather than 1/160 scale and I’m sure he would do the 1/87 as 1/76.

Paul Bartlett’s website was used as well

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/germanvan

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, gr.king said:

But surely God lives in England? Sorry, couldn't resist...…

Surely, God has let us down, the team has won something?

I embrace failure, it is a way of life. Just look at railway modelling!

John Smart

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi Tony

Thank you.

I used the drawings on the Barrowmore website 

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_01_Issue.pdf page 40 for E006

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_02_Issue.pdf page 5 for E277

Transfers are available from here

https://www.modellbahndecals.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=6579

mine were printed to 1/148 rather than 1/160 scale and I’m sure he would do the 1/87 as 1/76.

Paul Bartlett’s website was used as well

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/germanvan

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul, very helpful.

I had seen these before but had completely forgotten about them as a source.

They will be very useful.

Tony

13 hours ago, polybear said:

Good morning Brian,

Firstly, my apologies for not mentioning your most-generous donation to CRUK yesterday. I was tired last evening! 

Out of interest, this morning I've now thoroughly-tested that new DJH motor/gearbox I fitted in the Nu-Cast K1, having made enough of the tender for it to haul a 45-wagon, fully-loaded coal train........................

1209214521_DJHnewgearbox03.jpg.2414234e3b3b3b0074c3a9cba5ea0f1a.jpg

I got up early (5.00 am), having to take our younger son's dog for a walk, but it gave me time to put the tender together this morning.

I've run it for just about an hour, with complete success! 

Also out of general interest.............. Yesterday, I was given a piece of C&L's new track to photograph and report on. This is so detailed that it's supplied (in bullhead) in two types - main line (with the chairs all facing the same direction) and single line (yes I know some main lines were single), with chairs facing alternate directions, every third one! It'll need some very close-up photography to show the difference. It's in pairs of 60' sections as well, with closer-together and wider sleepers at the joints. Wow! 

I'd foolishly run short of low-melt solder yesterday, so casually bought some of C&L. Wow, for another reason! 

1061529053_CLlow-meltsolder.jpg.2401165d5925e9d1f2da59530b0c4fc5.jpg

3 cms of the stuff cost me £7.20! Is it 'precious metal? 

I've no wish to appear critical of any supplier (it must be hard enough as it is), but last year I bought some low-melt from Duncan Models, and I got at least twice as much for half as much respectively. Similarly so from Hobby Holidays. Comet's low-melt isn't that price as far as I know. 

Does anyone know the prices for solder out there, or am I being unfair? 

The moral? Don't run low, and shop around! 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:30, John Smart said:

Evening Graeme,

You are well informed.

I was told several days in advance that Thomas had been 'lamped', I rather wondered what that entailed.

A quaint pastime involving yobbos, powerful search lights, four wheel drive off-road vehicles, hunting rifles, criminal damage to gates / hedges / fences / crops and intimidation or assault on landowners?

The nocturnal counterpart to hare coursing?

Yet brave Thomas survived!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5