Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

39 minutes ago, 65179 said:

All but the last 2 were dia. 94 if Tatlow is correct. Whether they made it to BR days as covans rather than being several of the 1200+ out of 2167 that were rebuilt as fruit vans, I don't know.

Edit - if I read Tatlow 4A correctly then E179422 is the only of the dia.94 vans you listed not in the list of dia.165 conversions.  If you think it worth changing the number I'd plump for that one. Sadly the only dia.94 in BR condition in Tatlow seems to be E179066, but that is labelled (cast plate) as a fish van!  I'm glad I don't need to worry about correct wagon numbers as a 2mm modeller!

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I suppose the moral is never believe what a kit manufacturer writes or supplies. I'd better modify that by suggesting always be suspicious of what's provided; because I wish to be fair. 

In my naivety (what a child I am), I just thought any numbers provided on the transfer sheet would be appropriate. Obviously wrong! I have Peter Tatlow's bible on the subject and just glanced at it for the briefest of references. 

Having struggled so much with getting these wretched numbers in place, I'm not changing them (one of the appropriate numbers just mingled together in an amorphous ball, anyway!), and I'll point out my error in the article. 

Still, as you say, once it's weathered.............................

Do I qualify as a very-inaccurate modeller? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Not with me, I'm afraid, though I can see it's attractions - for one, it's easier to see! 

Oh dear!    It is surprising the misplaced apostrophe (it's attractions) was not spotted before posting.  

Edited by Bonafide

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The screw couplings have been entrusted to the tender mercies of La Poste and hopefully will be with you shortly.  I'm sure you know this trick but I blacken my buffers by heati g them to charry red in a gas flame then dropping them into a bit of engine oil.  It works a treat and they don't stick,  just don't use the gas cooker when Mo is around as the smell of hot oil lingers.

Jamie

Wouldn't cooking oil or olive oil work just as well?

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I don't know, i just follow i structions from a good friend and modeller.  However  there must be an experiment waiting to be performed by some brave soul.

Jamie

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I use engine oil to quench-harden O1 tool steel and it always produces quite a bit of nasty-smelling smoke. Cooking oils have a higher flashpoint so the results might be less detectable in the kitchen, but I've never tried it.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/07/2019 at 11:04, Fat Controller said:

Eventually, you'd discover they'd spent the duration in the Pay Corps or similar.

My maternal grandfather served in the Pay Corps. He was a soldier first and foremost, was taken prisoner by the Japanese at the fall of Singapore, and was sent to the infamous railway, he survived that, just, but lost many friends and comrades. After repatriation he served in Berlin in the later forties and into the fifties before retiring with the rank of Major (they dropped you two ranks upon retirement back then). He never really spoke about his experiences in the war.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

43 minutes ago, Bill_J said:

My maternal grandfather served in the Pay Corps. He was a soldier first and foremost, was taken prisoner by the Japanese at the fall of Singapore, and was sent to the infamous railway, he survived that, just, but lost many friends and comrades. After repatriation he served in Berlin in the later forties and into the fifties before retiring with the rank of Major (they dropped you two ranks upon retirement back then). He never really spoke about his experiences in the war.

Regards

My apo;ogies; one tends to forget that there were members of units such as the Pay Corps close to the action. Those who were, such as your grandfather, were generally very reticent to talk about what they had seen, done and endured. Those who did talk generally seemed to have a line they wouldn't cross; one of my uncles spoke at length about how he enjoyed being left to rebuild railway bridges in Normandy. There was no reference to what he did next, which was liberating concentration camps in Germany. According to his son, he didn't laugh, or even smile, for several years after the end of hostilities.  I suspect there were many such cases.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Thanks for that Brian. I understand what you were saying, sometimes people feel the need to 'big themselves up', or to convince others that they were there. I believe that the reticence in talking about their experiences during times of conflict, is, and always has been, very common amongst servicemen and women.

Regards, Bill

• Agree 4

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Doesn't it, Jesse?

I thought I was pretty good at the use of profanity; until last September/October! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Ah yes I remember, the only time the student had become the teacher. 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm a bit of a sucker for poor, old things - taking pity on them (am I expecting the same in return?). 

Just over a week ago, I was given the part-built body of an old Ian Kirk Gresley BG. It wasn't badly-made, though it was still in the light brown plastic, had no underframe, the roof had no ventilators, was loose, and rather dodgy bogies (held in place with two whacking great self-tapping screws!) were fitted. I thought to myself, should I finish it? And I did; well sort of....................

1109523442_KirkGresleyBG02.jpg.1cfb9f1448a1a2b2cace14d5c4899989.jpg

I made-up a Comet set of turnbuckle trusses, used other Comet details, made new Kirk bogies (yes, I know they should be 8' 0" , not 8' 6" ones), added the ventilators (which don't appear to be all the same type!), painted, lined, lettered it and dry-brush weathered it (to represent the rather shabby condition these vans got into towards the end of their lives). I used Precision Paints' brushing maroon, and wondered, even after four days, why it stubbornly refused to dry, and why it covered so poorly; despite vigorous stirring of the contents of the tin. It also appeared to be very dark. A second coat took just two days to dry! I know it's severely lacking in detail, and the panelling is too recessed, but, as a layout coach? In a layout train? I'll decide whether or not to keep it after watching it go around LB for a while. The shorty BG to the left was built by the late Dave Shakespeare. Note the different colour rendition of 'maroon'. And Hornby's, to the right; or is that carmine? 

50897839_Hornby-MJTGresleyBG.jpg.c8a0dc011265ce30a09b25d9d28c4cf9.jpg

Compared with what can be done using MJT sides over a Hornby donor, with correct-length bogies, then it's a bit grotty. However, in the grander scheme of things?

I don't own a Hornby Gresley BG, because I think the whole range is very disappointing; I just use any as donors.

893347270_PCGresleyBG.jpg.5bb19792719c4ce25588e248a714dd05.jpg

In 1973, I built a PC version (buying it from Bagnalls, in Stafford - during the time when every town/city had a 'proper' model shop). I very much doubt if this is correct (was there only ever one Gresley BG painted carmine/cream?), but it still runs on LB (having previously run on Fordley Park, Leighford, Stoke Summit and Charwelton, so it's stood the test of time). By today's standards, a bit (a lot?) lacking?  

504100442_MopokHawksworthBG.jpg.c729eef6a4d60a16579bf18253a4cd38.jpg

Of the same vintage is this Mopok ex-GW BG. I don't know who built this, but it didn't run very well (it had stub-axles running in plain bearings). I rebuilt the bogies (fitting pin-points), and generally tidied it up, numbering it and lettering it (have I got the right number?). It looks almost as dark as the Kirk one! These were amazing kits for their day - wood, metal, plastic, pre-printed acetate - all weighing in at rather a lot! I almost sold this (and a BCK) to St. Enodoc many years ago. I'm glad I kept them, but Hornby makes much better RTR examples now. They're not unique, though. 

Without being too sentimental, I do like older models, particularly if they can be 'resurrected'. There's something very personal about them.

Anyone else have similar stories? 

Yes, I remember pestering you for the BCK in particular. Now of course I have several of the very nice Hornby Hawksworths. I've still got a couple of unmade Mopoks if you're interested...

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I used Precision Paints' brushing maroon, and wondered, even after four days, why it stubbornly refused to dry, and why it covered so poorly; despite vigorous stirring of the contents of the tin. It also appeared to be very dark. A second coat took just two days to dry!

Humidity. I know you're brush painting but it can still be sensitive to temperature and humidity. When using rattle cans or an airbrush I have a 60:60 rule. That is: temp above 60F but not more than a totally pedantic 77F but less than 60% relative humidity. Outside those parameters I've found that my paint sometimes never dries and remains tacky and thus has to be removed. 

I never varnish in the summer months as this is most prone to not drying hard.

A trick I've found is to put a couple of Stainless 6mm ball bearings in the paint and shake. It disperses the 'good stuff' throughout the paint better than just stirring alone.

Edited by Anglian
Added detail
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, Jack P said:

I'm not sure if I posted this here, but as Jesse posted his first kit build loco recently I thought i'd do the same.  Sadly I don't have any (good, and to hand) photos of it in finished - pre-paint condition, but here it is anyway, a Nu-Cast N15x. 

44766204130_8fe88cd151_b.jpg

Now, I must admit, I realised when looking at the valve gear and cylinder arrangement I was well out of my depth so I've shipped it off to DLT to finish off for me. Part of the reason I decided not to at-least give the valve gear a go because the possibility of obtaining spare etches was nil, and I really would hate for this to be a static piece. 

44766042710_7950679e9d_b.jpg

As you can see here i've also 'cheated' slightly, and used a Hornby chinmey and tender, admittedly with some modifications, Markits air tanks, handrails,  and footsteps on the rear sheet made from plasticard. I know it's probably the wrong region/time frame but there you go. Still so much to do once I have it back, before its finished. It's amazing how much you notice  when the paint has gone down, lumpy bits, gaps etc etc. All good practice for next time!

Beautiful work, Jack,

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One more point about modelling telegraph wires.......................

Though they might be more 'realistic', as a photographer they're a bl**dy nuisance! 

893603042_Feniton18.jpg.ba8ee38c042b92233fcb1160a584e660.jpg

167888997_Feniton22.jpg.489baa7e92d6a8661b3bbf5a4132a4d6.jpg

The background behind these two images was the layout room (with pictures on the walls!), with just the tiniest bit of blue backscene (between the trees). Over an hour each to fully-process these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan Burkinshaw's Feniton in OO. . 

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Though they might be more 'realistic', as a photographer they're a bl**dy nuisance! 

The background behind these two images was the layout room (with pictures on the walls!), with just the tiniest bit of blue backscene (between the trees). Over an hour each to fully-process these

It might be worth getting yourself a large light blue/sky printed backscene board that you can prop up behind layouts to obscure what's behind when photographing them.

G

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

As indeed they are in 12 inches to the foot photography.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, grahame said:

It might be worth getting yourself a large light blue/sky printed backscene board that you can prop up behind layouts to obscure what's behind when photographing them.

G

Do you think I've not got one, Grahame?

I've used it on many occasions, but when a layout is built right up to and under the eaves of a room?

Regards,

Tony. 

Just a quick note to say that another near-£200.00 has just been sent off the CRUK, including a most-generous contribution from (Brian) Polybear. 

So, may I please thank all those visitors to Little Bytham who've donated most-generously in the last month? I've done no loco-doctoring at shows for over a month, so it's come from visitors popping money into the box on the end of the layout (thanks again for that, Dave). . 

Thanks, and thanks again! 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

As indeed they are in 12 inches to the foot photography.

Not to mention the fact that telegraph pokes had a habit of jumping down lico chi neys.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:48, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Ray,

Speaking with friends who used to work on the railway at Little Bytham or passing through it, high speeds were very common with Up trains, especially after all the Pacifics (apart from some Scottish-based A2s) had been fitted with double Kylchaps. The double-chimney V2s also had a great turn of speed.

Great days!

Regards,

Tony. 

Great days indeed Tony , although I usually saw the pacific's ( all classes ) & the V.2's slipping wildly as they left York for the North or storming past Landing Lane bridge as they got into their stride , again northbound .

I'm sure you won't be surprised to know that I too am building another DJH A.1 ; this will be no. 60147 NORTH EASTERN . You can't have too many LNER Pacific's !

Cheers ,

Ray .

• Thanks 1