Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

With the joys of having a smart TV I've just enjoyed your Hatton's O gauge A3 review with David Mylett on You Tube Tony.;). Very nice looking, affordable models.

• Like 1

Those Bassets were fierce dark-ages warriors you know....

Or, being sensible for a moment, the presence of a number of place names ending in "by" in that part of the country seems to confirm that the Norsemen held sway there for a time....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've mentioned before, it's my immense privilege to be invited as a judge at several shows. One large one in particular has both what might call the 'high-end' layouts and the train set ones (with many in between). The show is justifiably popular, and it's one I look forward to each year. 

I'm really hoping, Tony, that I know exactly which show that is. 

Archie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Those Bassets were fierce dark-ages warriors you know....

Or, being sensible for a moment, the presence of a number of place names ending in "by" in that part of the country seems to confirm that the Norsemen held sway there for a time....

Hi Graeme

Not everywhere that ends in "by" was a settlement inhabited by the Vikings/Danes/Norsemen. Stewartby in Bedfordshire wasn't. King Alfred the Great stopped the advancing Vikings/Danes/Norsemen at Bedford trapping them north of the Great River Ouse and Stewartby is south of Bedford. 

In fact it has nothing what so ever to do with Vikings or even Saxons it was only built in 1926 and at first called Wootton Pillinge London Brick Company Village until 1936 when it was renamed after the Stewart family who owned London Brick Company. The village was built for the workers at the local brick works.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
dates
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 08/08/2019 at 16:31, Tony Wright said:

John,

A mate at Wolverhampton built a layout some years ago based on the S&D which featured a burial taking place in a churchyard, though I can't remember whether the corpse moved or not.

Either way, it seems popular to depict an event taking place at a church, if one is modelled on a layout.

And a wedding as well? And a car crash in the road outside? And a building on fire? And a brawl at the pub? And a foxhunt? And the road up? And????????????????? But, we seem to have been here before! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Don’t forget, a bus on a bridge! 

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Graeme

Not everywhere that ends in "by" was a settlement inhabited by the Vikings/Danes/Norsemen. Stewartby in Bedfordshire wasn't. King Alfred the Great stopped the advancing Vikings/Danes/Norsemen at Bedford trapping them north of the Great River Ouse and Stewartby is south of Bedford. 

In fact it has nothing what so ever to do with Vikings or even Saxons it was only built in 1926 and at first called Wootton Pillinge London Brick Company Village until 1936 when it was renamed after the Stewart family who owned London Brick Company. The village was built for the workers at the local brick works.

Interesting perhaps, but a small number of exceptions do not disprove a general principle.

• Agree 3

I'm in the middle of making a signal box for? - still haven't got a name for my layout - but possibly Nuthall or Nuthall and Watnall. We'll see.

But this has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't take me much to get distracted on to something else. I came across and fished out a half-finished Kirk Diagram 65 Brake Third which I started in the early 90's and not finished. In P4, I just couldn't resist converting it to EM. Even though I need another D65 like a hole in the head! Anyway, I thought "I'll convert it for a bit of fun and then put it away".   Hmmm... not likely!  2 or 3 days later and I've added all the under frame detail and after the alarm gear and vac pipes get added it'll go for painting. The thing that got me about it, was its ride through point work. They're Pendlenton-Mitchell sprung bogies with Comet cosmetic side frames. Once I had seen it glide along, I was bitten!. The truth is that dimensionally and from a standard of modelling basis, it doesn't hold a candle to a tarted up Hornby but thanks to Tony, I can welcome it to my family of carriages as a 'layout coach'.

Now where was I? Oh yes.. back to the signal box....

BTW, can you still get Pendlenton-Mitchell sprung bogies?

IMG_3894_crpd.jpg.f62e0926e1b3b1e6fa544c9ad4090592.jpg

Edited by Clem
Another brain fault
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

As part of the 4mm Mitchell range, they may have been latterly available through David Geen but he has retired and Mitchell products appear to have disappeared.

Bill Bedford does sprung coach bogies, easier to assemble and set up than the PM type in my experience. Mike Clark (Masokits) does a sprung bogie kit with adjustable wheelbase (excellent products although rather daunting instructions).

Dart castings supply the MJT torsion bar compensated bogie kits,  while Brassmasters produce a similar product which is easier to assemble and fix to the underframe.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I can thoroughly recommend the Brassmasters bogie compensation units as an alternative to the above.

we have used both these and Bill Bedford on the coaching /EMU stock for Balcombe (P4) and have been very pleased with their performance and have settled on them for all future builds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Don’t forget, a bus on a bridge! 

I quite like a bus on a bridge, even though it has become a cliche in the hobby.  It is one of those things that helps fix a layout in its modelled time and place, if the right bus in the right livery with an appropriate destination board is used.

That said, it is amazing how many buses are simply plonked on bridges where the approach road appears to be completely impassable for the vehicle concerned.  The most basic of errors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I quite like a bus on a bridge, even though it has become a cliche in the hobby.  It is one of those things that helps fix a layout in its modelled time and place, if the right bus in the right livery with an appropriate destination board is used.

That said, it is amazing how many buses are simply plonked on bridges where the approach road appears to be completely impassable for the vehicle concerned.  The most basic of errors.

Agreed, as well as the unfeasible road layout, why is the (stationary) bus placed in the location where is is least likely to be stationary?  Position it in the station forecourt or at a bus stop, with the doors open.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 08/08/2019 at 10:37, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Andy, Tony and anyone who knows the answer,

You mention that the Mousa model lacks the corridor side sliding ventilators on the end door Third Corridor, did the all door corridor coaches have their corridor side windows fitted with sliding ventilators later in life? I am in the process of making a diagram 115 (and a 52 ft FK diagram 140) from Hornby Railroad coaches and just want to make sure I get them as right as I can.

Clive,

I’m now home and I’ve checked Campling. The reference is on p22 (and 24&26) and refers to end vestibule stock only, so I’m pretty sure that neither of your proposed vehicles would have had the same treatment.

Andy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Agreed, as well as the unfeasible road layout, why is the (stationary) bus placed in the location where is is least likely to be stationary?  Position it in the station forecourt or at a bus stop, with the doors open.

Doors? Buses with DOORS? Proper buses didn't have those new fangled things! They will never catch on...

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Doors? Buses with DOORS? Proper buses didn't have those new fangled things! They will never catch on...

Stewart

Bus with a door new-fangled? How old are you?

1.png

Edited by johnarcher
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Clive,

I’m now home and I’ve checked Campling. The reference is on p22 (and 24&26) and refers to end vestibule stock only, so I’m pretty sure that neither of your proposed vehicles would have had the same treatment.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thank you. I was thumbing through one of the Harris books and found a photo of an all door Third Corridor in maroon, corridor side and that didn't have sliding ventilators.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Chamby said:

I have a problem - I have more buses than there will be overbridges on my layout. Where should I put the leftovers?

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Chamby said:

Agreed, I actually have a photo of a A4, with the spare set of coronation coaches, coming under a bridge, with a bus on travelling along it. 

• Like 5