Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

DMUs are not boring once you start looking.

Early DLW - non-standard engines and transmission. 2-car, note absence of lower centre marker light:

9023803027_e35820788f_z.jpgDerby-LW_nrLeedsCentral by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I now know that the triangular box under the RH cab front window denotes a 'Red Triangle' (control code), Diagram 501 / 507, very early (first?) variant of the Derby Lightweights.

Yep - I've been doing my homework !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With 410 locos to feature, three volumes will be a minimum. The idea is to have at least one picture of every B1 featured. 

The plan is not to include all the engine record cards (that's been done in Yeadon), but to highlight the myriad detail variations in appearance, and comment on the workings. I hope it'll be of use to modellers. We'll see, though it won't be a case of 'stuff the critics!' 

Sounds great, especially the comments on the workings and detail variations. I trust there won’t be any scrappage gen!

• RMweb Premium

DMUs boring......they are great to model, as John has pointed out the Derby lightweights were a family of similar looking coaches. Most types were within their own family groups, that is why they are great to model. 

100_5799a.jpg.fa994b79f151eca0da963f540e434034.jpg

They can also be used for teaching, counting to eight using DMUs.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Look at class 116; 3 different styles of cab and two alternative centre trailers before you consider later added gangways and livery variations.  No wonder RTR manufacturers are scared to get involved with them and keep churning out more 117s despite this class' more restricted geography and quantity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

DMU’s will always be regarded as the grim reaper at the end of steam, to my mind anyway.  Much in the same way as the A2/2 symbolises the demise of the much more aesthetically pleasing P2.  (We’ve all been through that discussion of course). 

I can understand the interest... I can vividly remember as a commuting student, swaying side-to-side in a derby lightweight, as it farted its departure from Nuneaton towards Leicester, being mildly amused at the rude noise, then the driver playing ‘On Ilkley Moor bah t’hat’ on the two tone horn.  

But the huge variety and regional character of what went before was much more interesting, surely?

Edited by Chamby
Grammatical tweak
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Here's the SE&CR E1 with only a few small details left to be added:

I found the photos in the Maidment book invaluable for reworking the pipework and associated details on this side. The DJH casting

for the "thing" on the footplate didn't bear much resemblance to the photos but I was able to cut and file it into a better approximation.

Is it a Westinghouse apparatus, or a steam reverser? Not sure!

It's the steam reverser, most SECR locos had this.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I now know that the triangular box under the RH cab front window denotes a 'Red Triangle' (control code), Diagram 501 / 507, very early (first?) variant of the Derby Lightweights.

Yep - I've been doing my homework !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Correct! Applied only to the first eight sets built for West Riding services. They were power-twins with Leyland engines and an obsolete design of hydraulic transmission. Mechanically, they were similar to an experimental LMS diesel unit. Thereafter, Derby switched to something more like the GWR design for the mechanical side of things. The first eight sets were withdrawn in 1964 and I have yet to find a colour photo of them in service.

Ahh -  the Farting (exhaust note on acceleration) DMU - remember that well, not all classes farted though !!

I commuted from Wigan to Liverpool back in the late 60's, class 108 DMU (if I remember correctly), quite comfortable, but 2 cars got very full.

Even better was my later daily commute Wigan to Salford for two years on the 6 car (2 x 3 car class 110). The centre car was unpowered (therefore quiet) and I headed for that whenever I could. The train was a Manchester - Salford - Wigan - Southport express, a replacement for the earlier Bank Hall Jubilee powered express (which did not call at Wigan - Non stop Southport to Salford). The rot set in on this line when the superb four track L&Y line (Manchester to Hindley) was reduced to two though.

Now we have (soon to go) nodding donkeys, !!

I like model DMU's and have several. In my 60's TT days I had the Tri-ang 3 car unit (think that was a 110) - a superb model back then.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typo

2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Correct! Applied only to the first eight sets built for West Riding services. ..... I have yet to find a colour photo of them in service.

Me neither - six of Diagram 501, and two of diagram 507 - but all B&W.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

3 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I like model DMU's and have several. In my 60's TT days I had the Tri-ang 3 car unit (think that was a 110) - a superb model back then.

It was a 104. This is the most numerous low-density type not modelled RTR in 00.

5812629331_e422031674_z.jpg104-4-car by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Grateful for suggestions as to the location of this image.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's my attempt at a 104, which I really need to finish one of these days...

104.jpg.d0b150d44fb9dadcff8a361e37f42f33.jpg

It's a throwback to the bad (good?) old days when the only DMUs were Hornby's 110, Lima's 101 and the basic Lima 117.

It still needs BR decals and numbers, some attempt at close coupling, and windscreen wipers and so on.

As to why I decided to make a 104, it's lost in the mists of time.

Al

• Like 17

4 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Looks very much like Cottingham East Yorkshire, if so the unit is on the Up line approaching the station.

Thanks, having looked at the Google images, there is certainly a strong similarity, so it could well be there.

On 17/08/2019 at 01:07, Barry Ten said:

I am also unsure about that projection above the whistles.

Barry, that looks fantastic! 

If I understand correctly, you could be referring to the safety valves and the lever that is attached to it? I find that the white-metal ones often aren't formed correctly, resulting in them not being long enough. It's (usually) easy to slice them off and replace them with a bit of scrap brass or plasticard.

If this isn't what you're talking about - ignore me!

Not much modelling undertaken over the weekend apart from a little fun in knocking up this road sweepers hand cart out of plasticard and wire. The figure is a Farish one (with a pneumatic drill cut away - doesn't he have thick forearms?). Last night I made and added Trigger's broom and now need a shovel to finish it off - I'm sure I've an etched one somewhere but it's a matter of finding it. Overall the model is very small (N/2mm scale) - that's a new penny it's standing on which is three quarters of an inch in diameter. The 'cameo' needs a little tidying up and a touch more paint . . . .

DSC_8128.JPG.193edf8a77955929c7b55cdd892d11c6.JPG

G

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

On 17/08/2019 at 08:49, Chamby said:

DMU’s will always be regarded as the grim reaper at the end of steam, to my mind anyway.  Much in the same way as the A2/2 symbolises the demise of the much more aesthetically pleasing P2.  (We’ve all been through that discussion of course). 

I can understand the interest... I can vividly remember as a commuting student, swaying side-to-side in a derby lightweight, as it farted its departure from Nuneaton towards Leicester, being mildly amused at the rude noise, then the driver playing ‘On Ilkley Moor bah t’hat’ on the two tone horn.  

But the huge variety and regional character of what went before was much more interesting, surely?

'But the huge variety and regional character of what went before was much more interesting, surely?'

I suppose it boils down to whether one saw what went before, Phil; before the DMUs appeared, I mean. 

In my own case, I used to watch ex-GC 4-4-2Ts and 0-6-2Ts from my bedroom window in Chester, as they headed from the Northgate Station towards the Wirral and Wrexham on their short passenger trains. They were a bit too far away to read the numbers, but I knew which ones the were, anyway. Then, at a stroke, they'd gone, and shiny, new DMUs appeared. What kind they were, I have no idea, because I took no notice of them. It was the same going the other way from the Northgate. Interesting ex-GC 4-4-0s with splendid (in some cases, heroic) names used to go beneath my vantage point at Newton Hollows bridge, then they'd gone; again, replaced with DMUs, of no interest to me.

Those same displaced ex-Trafford Park or ex-Northwich D11s then went east, to Darnall or Lincoln, where I saw them again, and rode behind them 'twixt Kiveton Park and Retford. Then, a year later, they were gone for good, and DMUs (of a different kind from those at Chester?) replaced them. 

So, yes, to me, what went before was far more interesting. However, one has to be into ones 70s to remember these things! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Having spent a fantastic weekend at the Pickering Show, may I please thank all the members of the Scarborough and District MRC for putting on such a marvellous event and for looking after Mo and me so well? May I also thank all those with whom I spoke?

As usual, I was able to get some pictures.

1212290019_SandyBay02.jpg.cabd44e88bbfc22d18908e8e6529e334.jpg

Sandy Bay is a fantastic layout in N Gauge. To me, it's what N Gauge layouts should be, and not overcrowded with too much track - which too many are in my view. Look out for it in BRM in future.

Also look out for Durham Street, in O Gauge.

1882837696_DurhamStreet14.jpg.08d8a7eb3fff6640c76c226dd02cc493.jpg

234039239_DurhamStreet06A.jpg.c4b43d8ee1d1d6ece0357bb80d8b0478.jpg

Built by members of the Scarborough Club, it represents a latter day steam MPD 'somewhere in the NE'. 

With all this talk of 'criticism', I pointed out to Ian Harper (on invitation) that his model of 60124 KENILWORTH (seen above), for the period has its front numberplate set too high up, and also that the return crank leans the wrong way. He laughed! 

Watch out for Durham Street in BRM as well............................

286699207_mystand.jpg.55185f4495a49f2bd3a84252cb124f12.jpg

I fixed a few things (including a dud THOMAS!!!!!), and made a bit for CRUK. 

Finally, does anyone know where this is, please?

530330256_8F8138.jpg.93f57acc0498a42cbdf276f7f8d45375.jpg

A poor scan, but is that a Midland 'box?

Thanks in anticipation.............

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I suppose it boils down to whether one saw what went before, Phil; before the DMUs appeared, I mean. 

In my own case, I used to watch ex-GC 4-4-2Ts and 0-6-2Ts from my bedroom window in Chester, as they headed from the Northgate Station towards the Wirral and Wrexham on their short passenger trains. They were a bit too far away to read the numbers, but I knew which ones the were, anyway. Then, at a stroke, they'd gone, and shiny, new DMUs appeared. What kind they were, I have no idea, because I took no notice of them. It was the same going the other way from the Northgate. Interesting ex-GC 4-4-0s with splendid (in some cases, heroic) names used to go beneath my vantage point at Newton Hollows bridge, then they'd gone; again, replaced with DMUs, of no interest to me.

You looked but you didn't see (or is it you saw but didn't look?).

Surely it's a matter of personal choice and what interests an individual. I saw and remember steam trains but when I saw electric trains gliding effortlessly and silently around I thought wow, that's modern, that's what I like and found them more interesting.

But what is more interesting to one person doesn't mean that it has to be more interesting to others. Far too many assert that the steam era was a more interesting period in railway history than what followed but that doesn't make it so to everyone. Each to their own poison.

G

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

The picture of the 8F is Skipton by the bridge just north of the station. The row of houses is Aireview Terrace where my relatives  lived and I stayed for holidays after moving to Doncaster. The signal box will be of Midland Origin.

Regards,

Tony L.

Edited by 1306
correction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jack P said:

Barry, that looks fantastic! 

If I understand correctly, you could be referring to the safety valves and the lever that is attached to it? I find that the white-metal ones often aren't formed correctly, resulting in them not being long enough. It's (usually) easy to slice them off and replace them with a bit of scrap brass or plasticard.

If this isn't what you're talking about - ignore me!

You are quite right, it's indeed the safety valve lever - blame it on a slip between the brain and fingers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Tony and all,

All this talk of DMU’s the one thing that I did enjoy as a young spotter was getting in the front unit behind the driver and having his view of the line ahead , you are probably right Tony I’am 67 and missed out on any suburban steam haulage in my Manchester area. 

Dennis 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, 1306 said:

The picture of the 8F is Skipton by the bridge just north of the station. The row of houses is Aireview Terrace where my relatives  lived and I stayed for holidays after moving to Doncaster. The signal box will be of Midland Origin.

Regards,

Tony L.

Hi Tony. I thought I recognised the photo.  It is in one of Donald Binns' books.  Railways around Skipton.  Credited to M N Clay the caption states. Taken 16 th April 1942, 8138 heading an up goods.   

Jamie