Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Tony,

Going back to your post about 6203 and round-head buffers, that is something I have never seen (except for 6200 and 6201 in their very early days) and I can't offer any definite reason for it in 1960. However, since the oval plates were just riveted onto round buffer heads and 6203 was within a few months of being stored out of use, maybe the oval plates had been removed for some reason during repairs and since in the usual course of events the engines weren't piloted, it wasn't seen as necessary to refit them at that late stage. The fact that the locomotive was later taken out of storage for a while to substitute for failing diesels and was then (as far as I am aware, although I would welcome being corrected if anyone has the evidence) fitted with oval plates could be significant as someone wanted to cover all eventualities?

Just a few thoughts.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I had to look twice at the picture, before I believed it myself.

It's one of those curious details which 'engine-pickers' (which Irwell describes the likes of me) find particularly fascinating.

Like 70045 finally getting oval front buffers, for instance. Or, even more extraordinary, LUCKIE MUCKLEBACKIT leaving the Mound Tunnel on the 8th of June 1951, displaying one ROUND and one OVAL buffer at the front! Page 75 (bottom) LNER In Transition

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

An appeal to those clever and most knowledgeable people that frequent Tony's excellent thread - can anyone shed any light as to the origins of the following mouldings (Manufacturer and prototype) please?  Another of those items collected at some long-forgotten exhibition in the dim and distant past....

Many thanks,

Brian

IMG_1270.JPG

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Tony,

Going back to your post about 6203 and round-head buffers, that is something I have never seen (except for 6200 and 6201 in their very early days) and I can't offer any definite reason for it in 1960. However, since the oval plates were just riveted onto round buffer heads and 6203 was within a few months of being stored out of use, maybe the oval plates had been removed for some reason during repairs and since in the usual course of events the engines weren't piloted, it wasn't seen as necessary to refit them at that late stage. The fact that the locomotive was later taken out of storage for a while to substitute for failing diesels and was then (as far as I am aware, although I would welcome being corrected if anyone has the evidence) fitted with oval plates could be significant as someone wanted to cover all eventualities?

Just a few thoughts.

Dave

Perhaps if they were reinstated, as what in modern parlance would be called thunderbirds, then the oval buffers would make sense. In one occasion that I was sort of involved in the assisting loco, in that case a Brit, had to push the failed Peak and train into Settle Station before running round and depositing the Peak in a siding.   Thus it would have propelled for a mile or so.   It then set off from Settle with the Thames Clyde 90 down and the driver had a good go at making the lost time up on a clear run to Carlisle.   The Peak had failed in a stretch of single line working due to bridge repairs.  I was the lucky recipient of a footplate ride a 9F, that was on a southbound anhydrite train from Long Meg, from Blea Moor back to Settle.   When Robin Hood passed us at Selside it looked like a mobile Volcano as the driver pounded up the Long Drag.   I'll give you all 1 guess as to which 9F I was on (aged 14).

Jamie

• Like 3

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:41, Tony Wright said:

In between watching yesterday's cricket, I finished off the DJH A1 recently-featured. 

I always leave the motion to the last!

333632541_DJHA16015704Bpanning.jpg.1adce0f5dc5f78f949253b0a98a675c8.jpg

1175837028_DJHA16015705panning.jpg.9fdecf3423630054354e33f6fd246bae.jpg

Perfect, high-speed (and slow) running from the new DJH motor/gearbox combo.

Why build an A1 when Bachmann makes one RTR?

I wonder why that question keeps being asked of me...................................

Simple , because it satisfies the creative urge and it's just more fun , as you are already well aware , Tony .

Ray .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, westerner said:

Kirk kit, Gre sley 64ft full brake? I may be wrong, after all I'm a ST modeller.

I agree, Alan,

But shouldn't that be 61' 6". I thought it was only the sleeping cars which were longer than standard. If wrong (and I could be), I'll have learned something more.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Oh, and that dud point motor has been replaced this morning. Yet another SEEP failure! Am I unlucky with these solenoids failing? That's a dozen gone in as many years........................

Not just you Tony, these things are not very well designed. To start with the fixing holes are not the same distance from the operating wire on each side when they could (and should) easily have been. The next fault was the way the coils are fitted by melting over some plastic in a countersunk hole, recent production has been better in this respect but most of mine have had wire or cable ties wrapped round to prevent the coils falling off. The switch can be unreliable in some atmospheric conditions but is easily cured with electrolube on the contacts. The over centre spring just about works but doesn't hold point blades closed with any certainty.

The final killer is the way the coil wires are soldered to the contact strip - they are normally stretched out tight along the plate and soldered on and with repeated expansion and contraction they eventually break. The break is almost always just where you can't get at it to solder another wire on, if only a little slack had been allowed here this wouldn't happen.

I do still have a lot on Herculaneum Dock and have used them elsewhere but the ancient H&M ones are much more reliable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, polybear said:

An appeal to those clever and most knowledgeable people that frequent Tony's excellent thread - can anyone shed any light as to the origins of the following mouldings (Manufacturer and prototype) please?  Another of those items collected at some long-forgotten exhibition in the dim and distant past....

Many thanks,

Brian

IMG_1270.JPG

I may be missing something here - in which case ignore me - but is there not some moulded lettering, in the centre of the underside of the floor, which might have given you a clue?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I may be missing something here - in which case ignore me - but is there not some moulded lettering, in the centre of the underside of the floor, which might have given you a clue?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Possibly, but:

"Mouldmakers"

"Western Mould Services"

"Bodmin PL3 11EZ"

"01208 77663"

Also "SK" and "BM"

- does this tie up with Kirk in any way?  A quick Google doesn't find this mouldmaker  (I realise Kirk sadly disappeared into the Great Cooper Craft Black Hole :(  ).

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Not just you Tony, these things are not very well designed. To start with the fixing holes are not the same distance from the operating wire on each side when they could (and should) easily have been. The next fault was the way the coils are fitted by melting over some plastic in a countersunk hole, recent production has been better in this respect but most of mine have had wire or cable ties wrapped round to prevent the coils falling off. The switch can be unreliable in some atmospheric conditions but is easily cured with electrolube on the contacts. The over centre spring just about works but doesn't hold point blades closed with any certainty.

The final killer is the way the coil wires are soldered to the contact strip - they are normally stretched out tight along the plate and soldered on and with repeated expansion and contraction they eventually break. The break is almost always just where you can't get at it to solder another wire on, if only a little slack had been allowed here this wouldn't happen.

I do still have a lot on Herculaneum Dock and have used them elsewhere but the ancient H&M ones are much more reliable.

Thanks Mike,

It was a poor decision on my part some 11 years ago when I bought all the fiddle yard track/point motors for LB. Needing some 90+ point motors, it was a false economy not to buy Peco solenoids. They were dearer by at least a quid each, but are much more reliable. As the saying goes 'You get what you pay for!' A lesson for the future, definitely learned. 

I've never used the switching or springs on the SEEP solenoids. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

What are the best paints to match Brunswick Green?  This fall one of my projects is to paint my DJH A2, but i live in the Great White North (Canada).  As a consequence I do not have access to the full range of paints you have over there and thanks to 911 it is almost impossible to get a UK company to ship paint to Canada.   I do have some Humbrol #3 enamel gloss, but it is probably 25 years old.  Assuming I can resurrect does anyone have any thoughts on its authenticity?  A crosscheck on a cart from Model Railway Hobbyist suggests that Tamiya X05 Green and Vallejo Deep Green 115636 are matches  I know that both Tamiya and Vallejo are available in the UK, so again the same question are there any thoughts on how close it is?  A web search suggests Railmatch RM1300 and Floquil Brunswick Green F110034  match.  It is almost certain I can get both the Tamiya and Vallejo although I dont like the Vallejo paints.  I might be able to get the Railmatch RM1300 but the web colour chart doesn't look much like the Brunswick Green in BR pictures and it appears to only be available in spray cans and I am pretty certain that Floquil is no longer available.  Again any thoughts.  Finally, regardless of my location, what paint is considered the best match fro BR Brunswick Green because as a longshot I might be able to get someone to bring some back for me.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Re the panning shots:

To me the lack of movement in the valve gear and wheels makes it look as if the pictures are static and staged.  Yes I know the blurring of track in the foreground gives the lie to this but it is not what we see in the first visual impact.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I agree, Alan,

But shouldn't that be 61' 6". I thought it was only the sleeping cars which were longer than standard. If wrong (and I could be), I'll have learned something more.

Regards,

Tony. 

Your probably right Tony, as my post should have said I'm GWR/WR modeller. I really should know the length as I have built one.

Edited by westerner
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've been doing a little more experimental photography this evening, regarding panning. 

One of the principal attractions about Little Bytham to me is the speed of the trains which pass through (today and years ago). 

The 'quest' then is how to 'capture' that speed from 60+ years ago.

I'd be interested in comments, please......................

326744910_60700panning.jpg.93dbb805f23a8fb5e11ac43e62b9ac91.jpg

1313029076_60982panning.jpg.1264e23e2d52a134ca8be2e43ec8608f.jpg

1916363216_92037panning.jpg.a281991aa216553b4447c1094583bf39.jpg

1583142533_DANTEpanning.jpg.0100069defeeeebcc7a9a8d66840a1af.jpg

1996803525_DONCASTERpanning.jpg.927e182e8a82c22ef51d09b7573b4def.jpg

796302222_GREATNORTHERNpanning.jpg.b18070bd6455e78da9a28b336f53c8b5.jpg

368643278_KINGFISHERpanning.jpg.f6d65c7e90b9a51e0ac61626a56678f0.jpg

137973331_MALLARDpanning.jpg.4a02f298e3bea249fd5ff652623d60c9.jpg

1359245048_SANDWICHpanning.jpg.9285db5dce91507506cbc0e06d0785fd.jpg

529768430_SILURIANpanning.jpg.67d3c32e7475972143befa8d4c005733.jpg

1191535887_SILVERFOXpanning02.jpg.4f5e83f7ce692aa03540696198ae79e6.jpg

At least these shots prove that the locos I build will run fast (and slowly as well), though I didn't build the 9F. It also proves they've been doing it for some time - both the A3s in these views are over 40 years old. 

Tony,

For me your earlier shots with a slower shutter speed & so more movement in the wheels & motion suggest speed better.

William

29 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

1916363216_92037panning.jpg.a281991aa216553b4447c1094583bf39.jpg

Tony,

What's the provenance; (model and prototype); of the LWB mineral behind the 9F, please? (Does it have a vac. / through pipe )?

Obviously, the loco has lamps - one would expect no other !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Possibly, but:

"Mouldmakers"

"Western Mould Services"

"Bodmin PL3 11EZ"

"01208 77663"

Also "SK" and "BM"

- does this tie up with Kirk in any way?  A quick Google doesn't find this mouldmaker  (I realise Kirk sadly disappeared into the Great Cooper Craft Black Hole :(  ).

Now there's a coincidence - I live in Bodmin.

Western Mould Services - Google doesn't find them; must be long gone.

PL3 11EZ - part of one of Bodmin's industrial estates; now the 'Proper Cornish' pasty producers.

01208 77663 -

Western Mould Services

Feb 21, 2014

Western Mould Services
Address: Western House
Bodmin, Cornwall PL31 1EZ
UK - United Kingdom
Phone Number: (01208) 77663
Industry: Tool Design and Makers.

Observations :-

The floor moulding has a defined rectangular area; apparently indicating where to cut if it is desired to fit a motor bogie.

Ian Kirk produced a kit for a SR EMU which would require the fitting of a motor bogie.

I suspect - no more - that these may be remaindered mouldings, sourced from the infamous Cooper Craft in its last and disastrous incarnation.

'Nuff said !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

27 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Tony,

What's the provenance; (model and prototype); of the LWB mineral behind the 9F, please? (Does it have a vac. / through pipe )?

Obviously, the loco has lamps - one would expect no other !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It's a Hornby model, John,

With the white stripe (denoting the end door) at the wrong end. 

It's vacuum-fitted, so is at the front of the train (with one other vacuum-fitted wagon). The other 45 in the train are unfitted.

Regards,

Tony. 

41 minutes ago, ecgtheow said:

Tony,

For me your earlier shots with a slower shutter speed & so more movement in the wheels & motion suggest speed better.

William

The problem with a slower shutter speed is that the 'failure rate' with the panning shots is enormous (good job they're not taken on film!), with very few of the images sharp enough to use.

I'll keep on experimenting.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

The 'quest' then is how to 'capture' that speed from 60+ years ago.

For a more authentic feel I’d be tempted to use use slower shutter, b&w, and crop to a more 6x4 look. Capturing ‘panned’ speed was a rare, or at least rarely published type of image, in the railway hobby, (not so much in motor sports,) the camera technology, film speeds and technique not widely used for that type of image. My late father used Leica in that period and I recall comments regarding cost of film/paper/processing all being down sides to the hobby in the 50’s and 60’s.

The 6x4 area again being reflected in the style of the day, few using panoramic type cropping, and fixed focal length telephoto lens’ meaning a generally closer crop composition.  Something like  this assuming Tony doesn’t mind a bit of manipulation of one of the above images.

FC20D389-A1DE-4A06-9343-3993ACD2B9A0.jpeg

Edited by PMP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The problem with a slower shutter speed is that the 'failure rate' with the panning shots is enormous (good job they're not taken on film!), with very few of the images sharp enough to use.

An era authentic problem, as you say without the cost! If I’m doing photography and using panning and slow shutter speed, I accept that I’ll lose many shots for the reasons you outline, but when you get the one that works, it’s worth the loss rate.

392FCC07-3657-4CB4-891B-DD61CD843690.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5