Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I'd have to stick my hand up as well and say that the one I've had since they first came out has been a very reliable and trouble-free runner.  I did have to add weight to it when we extended the fish train on Thurston, but it's dealt with it most capably since then.  It had a ticking on the valve gear when I first ran it which proved to be something (can't remember what) jammed in not quite the right place.  The wheels (how far undersize are they?) have never bothered me, maybe because I never saw a real one and maybe because they were darkened all over, so there was no contrasting shiny tyre to emphasise the diameter?

Having now acquired a more correct one, maybe I should photograph them side by side.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Nice to see the Westernisation of Little Bytham here.

Nice Muzak. I'm sure I heard that being played in the lift the last time I visited my local department store.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With my last post, Wright Writes has just flipped into 1,500 pages (it's now a B12!). 

Tony. 

Congratulations on reaching 1500 pages Tony. I know it takes commitment and time to keep the punters interested but it's worth the effort Sir.:imsohappy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I'd have to stick my hand up as well and say that the one I've had since they first came out has been a very reliable and trouble-free runner.  I did have to add weight to it when we extended the fish train on Thurston, but it's dealt with it most capably since then.  It had a ticking on the valve gear when I first ran it which proved to be something (can't remember what) jammed in not quite the right place.  The wheels (how far undersize are they?) have never bothered me, maybe because I never saw a real one and maybe because they were darkened all over, so there was no contrasting shiny tyre to emphasise the diameter?

Having now acquired a more correct one, maybe I should photograph them side by side.

The driving wheels are a bit more than six inches under-sized, Jonathan.

Most model locos (to accommodate over-scale flanges) are probably a bit small. For instance, my V2s have 24mm drivers, but the slightly over-scale flanges (even RP 25) make up for this. In the same way, my A1s, A3s and A4s have 26mm drivers for the same reasons. I wouldn't like to fit wheels over 2mm smaller in diameter than scale, though. 

1952193654_K301.jpg.99a8cbeeb3fdbee2c5fc9cafbf21ac48.jpg

I've shown this picture before, but it proves the point. Bachmann on the left, SE Finecast on the right. Though the Bachmann example carries the RA rating, the cabside numbers are far too thick. 

I accept, with a bit of work, the Bachmann K3 makes an acceptable layout loco.................

865683518_BachmannK361975.jpg.00fd7ddf5b4a2082f8a560ce426ea413.jpg

This is Tony Geary's work, to which I've added more detail. Those drivers are far too small - they should be a scale 5' 8". It's also, as with its siblings, permanently in reverse gear!

I think one can capture the 'spirit' of a loco without getting every single dimension dead right. However, the size of the driving wheels (if they're wrong) rather ruins the effect for me.

I'm glad to hear of so many Bachmann K3s performing well. Rather than the commentators being 'lucky', perhaps it's me that's 'unlucky', though I don't use Bachmann K3s.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Nice to see the Westernisation of Little Bytham here. :biggrin_mini2:

Westerns and Warships next please; but I expect that would get as warm a reaction as 'Diesels on Pendon' did last year from some quarters!

Thanks for posting this, Andy,

It's gratifying to think that LB can be used as a 'test track' for manufacturers, and we had a splendid day making the DVD. The DCC control system was just plugged-in to the Up fast, every necessary switch set to 'on', and away it went. The miniature 'me' was there to photograph it. Sadly, though these Pullmans were tested on the ECML for real, they weren't fast enough to keep up with the Deltic timings on the traditional Pullmans. 

It's not the first time my trainset has been used for demonstrating new products and it definitely won't be the last. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Congratulations on reaching 1500 pages Tony. I know it takes commitment and time to keep the punters interested but it's worth the effort Sir.:imsohappy:

Thanks Rob,

Though I don't think it's necessarily me who keeps 'the punters interested'. It's the wealth of modelling shown, the level of knowledge, the commitment to help others and the information given by others which does that.

And, congratulations on your layout thread having the most number of pages. I assume that makes it the most-popular? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point

2 hours ago, Clem said:

Congratulations, Tony. It's a brilliant thread. It's great to see what you and so many other talented modellers are working on and to admire the sheer skill and craftsmanship involved. I'm please to see other people  apart from myself see a number and equate it to an locomotive. (usually LNER post 1946 numbering). I'm half way through the O4s on consecutive day two and a half mile walks without missing a day. (ten years plus if you're wondering) and most of my passwords and pin numbers are railway connected. Chris thinks I'm a nutter. But it doesn't show when you're in a crowd of them.

Thanks Clem,

I remember all my credit/debit card numbers and burglar alarm numbers by using either the appropriate four-digit LNER numbers or two of the post-'46 LNER numbers, writing down the locos' names. You'd have to be a railway nutter to figure out what they are..............

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clem,

I remember all my credit/debit card numbers and burglar alarm numbers by using either the appropriate four-digit LNER numbers or two of the post-'46 LNER numbers, writing down the locos' names. You'd have to be a railway nutter to figure out what they are..............

Regards,

Tony. 

Me too, except mine are Bulleid Pacifics!

Bill

9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Similar  (and includes some of the same) footage to that previously posted. It's not as sharp but might be worth ten minutes of your time.

Wonderful stuff,

Thanks for posting.

I particularly liked the passage of the typical Kings Cross-Peterborough semi-fast (probably only going out to the carriage sidings on this occasion). A pair of Gresley steel artics, BTK/TK, with a MK.1 CK in the middle, plus a BG. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Wonderfully atmospheric and nostalgic as I grew up in Norf London near the ECML at this time - if I didn't see the trains in the this film I may well have heard them!  I learned to drive on a Bedford similar to that being loaded on the car carrier, 3 speed column change and bench seat. 

Also a valuable historical record of long-gone activity such as capstan shunting and the use of wagon turntables.  Are these films available in DVD format?

Nice to hear "proper" music as opposed to musac in the background.  I saved a 78 of this piece played on the Albert Hall organ when we cleared my Dad's house.

The models here must date originally from the 80's or earlier. The J72 started life as a Palitoy model, and the Loco Coal wagon peeking in an Ian Kirk basic kit. I suspect Colin Ashby must have done a recent run as they turned up as a pair for the princely sum of £14. Even the chassis, from Mainly Trains, originated in 2005.

The loco has been converted to the early-build short-bunker version, and a few details added. I suppose I could have waited for the Bachmann re-issue, but where is the fun in that? I imagine some very comprehensive upgrades have been done to these models over the years, but for a bit of quick fun, they made a change.

IMG_20190906_165309.jpg

• Like 9

On 06/09/2019 at 09:01, 2750Papyrus said:

Wonderfully atmospheric and nostalgic as I grew up in Norf London near the ECML at this time - if I didn't see the trains in the this film I may well have heard them!  I learned to drive on a Bedford similar to that being loaded on the car carrier, 3 speed column change and bench seat. 

Also a valuable historical record of long-gone activity such as capstan shunting and the use of wagon turntables.  Are these films available in DVD format?

Nice to hear "proper" music as opposed to musac in the background.  I saved a 78 of this piece played on the Albert Hall organ when we cleared my Dad's house.

Hi

There was a very good DVD produced, it was called,

The East Coast Main Line,

Volume One,

Kings Cross and its Approaches,

And I do believe that possibly some of the footage shown on the DVD's posted on Tony's blog are included in this one.

I purchased it a some years ago on Amazon so it may still be available either on Amazon or Ebay.

Some of the quality especially taken at Top Shed is very grainy but its still a great indication of Kings Cross MPD, Station and Surrounding area's in the late 1950's and early 1960's. and well worth watching.

I enclose two photos showing the front cover and rear cover which includes the DVD contents.

Like you I also grew up in North London, born in Tottenham and spent a lot of my time train-spotting at both Finsbury Park and Kings Cross stations from Late 1962 until Top Shed closed in June 1963

I do hope this is of help.

Regards

David

Kings_Cross_IMG_3752.jpg

Kings_Cross_IMG_3753.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Being an Ivybridge resident, I can confirm that is a very good resprentation of the viaduct.

IMG_0567.JPG.b7a7db3c898944fbba03f83933d27541.JPG

My own observation: it needs a lot more trees as this runs though Long Timber Woods! But the structure isn't bad at all.

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Being an Ivybridge resident, I can confirm that is a very good resprentation of the viaduct.

IMG_0567.JPG.b7a7db3c898944fbba03f83933d27541.JPG

My own observation: it needs a lot more trees as this runs though Long Timber Woods! But the structure isn't bad at all.

Regards,

Nick.

A clever effect though, at least from this angle, with the line of trees (presumably) on the backscene doubling up as smoke.

• Funny 1