Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Headstock said:

One tiny niggle Andy,

1870 was the first group standard K3, dosn't yours have the NE rather than group standard cab?

It’s the old Wills kit, so I’m not sure what that was based on. It does look slightly short now you mention it, but has the front handrails on the cab which were a feature of 1300 onwards if I’m not mistaken.

The SE Finecast kit has a fantastic array of options for the cab and I did get my head around it at the time I built that kit. But I’m rusty now, so left the number as I bought it. Sounds like that may have been a mistake! 

1 hour ago, Atso said:

Lovely work on the GC brake third! Interesting to see that you've used 3D printed bogie side frames.

I've been working on my N gauge 51' carriages and built the first pair of 8'6 bogies today (minus footboards).

20190923_151243.jpg.a5e742aa27562fa5b352ac91b5f13025.jpg

These were made up from 2mm Association etches, but fitted with their N gauge wheelsets.

Here is the current state of my four compartment brake third.

20190923_194500.jpg.fd27eab312387c316c2aa02ef87d8417.jpg

Where do you 2mm folk get your giant coins from?

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Hall - that’s a four letter word!

If you stood on the platform of Leicester Central station at one o clock in the morning in 1950, you would see a six letter word come in at the head of nine bogie vans and three passenger carriages.

It’s the old Wills kit, so I’m not sure what that was based on. It does look slightly short now you mention it, but has the front handrails on the cab which were a feature of 1300 onwards if I’m not mistaken.

The SE Finecast kit has a fantastic array of options for the cab and I did get my head around it at the time I built that kit. But I’m rusty now, so left the number as I bought it. Sounds like that may have been a mistake! 

Not to worry, it looks good in your video crossing your representation of Rugby viaduct.

gcrcs197.jpg

2 hours ago, Atso said:

Lovely work on the GC brake third! Interesting to see that you've used 3D printed bogie side frames.

I've been working on my N gauge 51' carriages and built the first pair of 8'6 bogies today (minus footboards).

20190923_151243.jpg.a5e742aa27562fa5b352ac91b5f13025.jpg

These were made up from 2mm Association etches, but fitted with their N gauge wheelsets.

Here is the current state of my four compartment brake third.

20190923_194500.jpg.fd27eab312387c316c2aa02ef87d8417.jpg

Drat, beaten to the punch on the chocolate coin. Nevermind, what tasty looking bogies. Does that sound right?

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

'But I’m rusty now, so left the number as I bought it. Sounds like that may have been a mistake!' 

It's not a mistake, Andy,

Whichever number was chosen, the old Wills K3 cab won't be exactly right. It's actually too short in terms of length.

By BR days (broadly-speaking) there were just two types of K3 cab. The one with larger windows (which was the NE-style cab, but with the windows placed higher up than the originals) and the most-common, longer one with the slightly smaller windows (the one made by Bachmann). The old Wills one has the smaller windows, but isn't long enough.

Whether the model you've just created displeases the 'rivet-counters' is a moot point. At the risk of sounding exactly that, both Geoff West and I 'fell' into that category when he sold it to me (because he wasn't happy with the body, even after fitting those front handrails, renumbering it and weathering it), knowing that (because the chassis was very good) I'd build a new body for it. We were thus both very happy - he recovered what he'd paid for it on ebay (not a lot) and I've got another front-line K3 for that cost and the cost of a new SEF K3 body. Not only that, I 'assume' you're happy with that original body you bought for a fiver (even though your arm was being twisted!). That fiver went to CRUK, of course.

At the risk of sounding (even more!) like a hypocrite, that little video you posted shows your loco in exactly the environment it belongs; perfectly. I couldn't detect the anomalous cab - not at all - and its haulage capacity will certainly be more than a standard Bachmann one. 

You mention the various cabs supplied with the SEF K3, and these are a fantastic resource. Some little time ago in BRM, I described the following conversion of a Bachmann K3, using one of those SEF cabs.............

1726507750_K317.jpg.40d9d43d13531a45dd10a3fd9a8b6195.jpg

2130849081_K319.jpg.a034122b7152a7f7b2f79f48274759bc.jpg

I converted the loco to RH-drive, and also made a London Road GNR tender for it. It was fitted to the original Bachmann chassis to begin with.

1842201378_K361812.jpg.6fa62a84c61d62ec9d6ff9771633dafe.jpg

However, I couldn't accept the too-small drivers nor the indifferent, wobbly performance, so I then built an SEF chassis for it, but retained the Bachmann valve gear. An adequate layout loco? I think so. Despite my natural indolence, all the painting/weathering on this is mine as well!

Models of K3s have certainly been popular visitors to LB, though who made/brought the following two, I've long-forgotten. 

1692165126_K361826.jpg.6dda14777457f230faaadcbf8f4e809b.jpg

765774650_K3No_17.jpg.c246748a6011885c40ad38c35a889ac6.jpg

Both are made from SEF kits (I think).

1398254805_K32417.jpg.c482d59fa7627a8cac72e5eb04257a89.jpg

I sold one on behalf of the family of the late John Brown of Spalding. This (like yours) has an old Wills body, but this one's on a new SEF chassis.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Headstock said:

Thanks for your interest in LSGC

Hi Andrew. Lovely GC BT 7. How will you tackle the roof?   BTW  I'd love to see LSGC again. Anything planned for next year? (Not sure I can get to Bradford).

On a different subject, can anyone confirm or otherwise how you post a video on RMWeb? Is it just a link to YouTube?

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi Andrew. Lovely GC BT 7. How will you tackle the roof?   BTW  I'd love to see LSGC again. Anything planned for next year? (Not sure I can get to Bradford).

On a different subject, can anyone confirm or otherwise how you post a video on RMWeb? Is it just a link to YouTube?

Yes a YouTube link is the easiest way. There is some way of embedding  it in the post but I've no udea how that works. 

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi Clem,

I think I did once manage to post a video directly onto the old RMWeb, but I can't remember how I did it and can't seem to do it now. So I upload my videos to YouTube (which is free and easy) and post a link in the thread. That seems to be how most people do it now.

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Headstock said:

If you stood on the platform of Leicester Central station at one o clock in the morning in 1950, you would see a six letter word come in at the head of nine bogie vans and three passenger carriages.

Another good reason to stay further East! 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

43 minutes ago, Clem said:

You have to create a You Tube account, and then post a link to the You Tube  video post , on here.

Edited by micklner
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Models of K3s have certainly been popular visitors to LB, though who made/brought the following two, I've long-forgotten. 

1692165126_K361826.jpg.6dda14777457f230faaadcbf8f4e809b.jpg

That one's mine! I still have it but I'm afraid that it's rarely used because it won't pull much. Not a problem with slipping, but it has no power. It has a small Mashima can with a branchlines gearbox but performance starts poor and drops off pretty rapidly after a minute or two. I suspect it need a new motor and is in the (rather long) fix it pile. That's why I resorted to the Bachmann chassis this time - once bitten twice shy.

I love your GNR tender version. I remember you writing it up and one of those is definitely in my long term plans.

Regards

Andy

That one's mine! I still have it but I'm afraid that it's rarely used because it won't pull much. Not a problem with slipping, but it has no power. It has a small Mashima can with a branchlines gearbox but performance starts poor and drops off pretty rapidly after a minute or two. I suspect it need a new motor and is in the (rather long) fix it pile. That's why I resorted to the Bachmann chassis this time - once bitten twice shy.

I love your GNR tender version. I remember you writing it up and one of those is definitely in my long term plans.

Regards

Andy

Didn't I help you with the chassis, Andy?

If so, I'll take some of the responsibility for its not working properly.

The next time you're up, we'll drop a new motor/gearbox into it.

Regards,

Tony. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

In true Jesse fashion, I start a project before finishing countless others. Here’s the new project, no prizes on guessing what it is. It most definitely will not be perfect, but...she’ll do! 

9C070790-2389-4149-9DA1-9CA1BCC7A47A.jpeg

She will indeed, Jesse.

Brilliant, personal modelling. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

She will indeed, Jesse.

Brilliant, personal modelling. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Ton, I’ll bring her along in November, as with a few other things I’ve built and more then likely not finished. 

Now I need to have a little chat to the Resin King about the tender for the P1. 

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Didn't I help you with the chassis, Andy?

If so, I'll take some of the responsibility for its not working properly.

The next time you're up, we'll drop a new motor/gearbox into it.

Regards,

Tony. 

You did Tony, I think that’s why I brought it. It was a little stiff in one direction and you sorted that out well. We then ran it round LB and it worked OK, not as smooth and quiet as one of yours, but good enough. It’s only when I put a good load behind it that the problems start. 

This exchange has prompted me to have another go at sorting it out myself but, if that fails, I’ll take you up on your kind offer.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

In true Jesse fashion, I start a project before finishing countless others. Here’s the new project, no prizes on guessing what it is. It most definitely will not be perfect, but...she’ll do! 

9C070790-2389-4149-9DA1-9CA1BCC7A47A.jpeg

Love the P1 project. Is that a Heljan O2 underneath? DMR do the tender ‘as converted for use by B2’. I don’t know how different this was from the original, but worth considering.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/dmr/dmrlnerloco/dmr-lnerloco-4mm/4r-t2

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Another good reason to stay further East! 

I'm sure it's nice and safe and cotton woolly over there but there are far too many sheep in the sheep pen knitting the same old jumper.

11 hours ago, Clem said:

Thanks Jamie and Andy for the video advice. I'll give it a go.... First of all here's the latest couple of additions to the layout.IMG_4106_rdcd.jpg.8c52f055febcc22df033f8454f4431b7.jpg

Let's see if I can get this working.....

Here's (hopefully??) a down class E partially fitted freight hauled by Colwick K2 61751.....

Apologies if this doesn't work....

Brilliantly observed as usual. I like your shackles and chains, much better than mine. Are they the same as those used by Jonathan? I will be most defiantly be swapping. Great video, the combo of Buckjumper and K2 is bang on. The stunning little Buckjumper almost steals the show. I'm really impressed by the ratio of sliding door vans to cupboard door vans, it is so well observed. You can never have enough LMS vans, I think you could get away with a few more really dirty examples. I don't know if its me but model railways seem to be getting cleaner and cleaner these days.

Re BT 7, The roof is being constructed the old fashioned way, a plasticard skeleton of braced formers based on the end profile that will then be skinned. It may be of some interest to you that circa 1954/55 (and before),  there were three, three sets working the 4.05 PM Nottingham-Grantham and the 6.10 PM return on alternate days. The sets were formatted as BT(4) Thompson / CL (3-4) Thompson / BT (7) ex 60' GC.

Edited by Headstock
add a thingy
  • Like 1