Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

7 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Some truly incredible photos, thank you for posting them, what a site that must have been for any trainspotter visiting the MPD in the 1950's

I have over the years collected hundreds of photos of Haymarket MPD and its surrounding area's from the internet both in black and white and colour as well purely for reference purposes.

I have also been very fortunate to receive help and information from some of our RMWeb colleagues who live in Scotland and knew Haymarket in its steam days. and from Ex Haymarket railwayman Harry Knox who over the years has produced some splendid books on Haymarket MPD and other motive power depots in the Edinburgh area.

As you know from your own experience with Little Bytham any information you can get even the smallest snippet is of great help in building up an overall picture of the model railway you are trying to create especially in prototype building. 

Of all the photos I have collected so far I have never seen any of the ones you have just added, thank you again for posting the, by chance do you know who the photographer was.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

'by chance do you know who the photographer was.'

I do, but for copyright reasons I'd prefer him to remain anonymous, if you don't mind?

I have several more he took at 64B. I'll dig them out.

Regards,

Tony.  

3 hours ago, Chamby said:

Those D11/2’s are a cracking example of the importance of observation.  Just looking at the front ends... smokebox rivets, handrails, smokebox door handles, guard irons, shed plate, and 62685 has clearly had a front end bump at some stage... nice photograph.

Thanks Phil,

And, by further observation of the picture showing the two consecutive A1s side by side, we can conclude the the D11 tender to the right must belong to EDIE OCHILTREE. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

What a big pity the photographer of the N2 didn't take the photo at a slightly different angle so that the plough end of the converted tender was visible and sadly the number is not clear. Never mind he did take a photo of an everyday workhorse not another pacific.  Are your sure about the date of the photo? The loco has OLE warning flashes on it. 

Thanks Clive,

NEVER, EVER automatically believe the date a photographer puts on a picture!

It must be post-'61, but only just!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Thank  you for your very kind comments, yes I do all my own weathering, I mainly try to follow the techniques used by Tim Shackleton in his excellent books and also by using prototype colour photos, I also take the view less is more.

As you know Haymarket had a reputation for keeping its Pacific’s in a very clean condition in the 1950’s so weathering is kept to a minimum on the locomotive bodies most of the time unless it’s a visiting locomotive from the Newcastle area.

i didn’t start my train spotting until late 1962 and most locomotives I saw by that time were in a pretty poor condition externally. 

I cannot disagree with any of your comments relating to kit built locomotives, as you know Paul Hill of PDK built me A2/1 60509 Waverley which you kindly allowed me to run on your Little Bytham Layout, a superb model in every way and there is still such a variety of locomotive classes in kit form that are just not available in RTR.

My frustration is I have no problems creating buildings for my layout coming from an Architectural background and other aspects of the hobby but the thought of me trying to build a locomotive kit is best described as “a ploughman going to a knitting convention”

But the wiggly pipe work is a must for me, I already have the fuse wire but I just need to work out the other bits I need to replicate such as the values and other items protruding from the locomotive boilers the the pipe work was connected  to.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

'but the thought of me trying to build a locomotive kit is best described as “a ploughman going to a knitting convention”'

It's not as hard as you think.

When you next visit, bring a (simple?) loco kit along, and I'll get you started. Why not a SE Finecast J38? Not available RTR, and exclusively Scottish. 

With all the dozens of 'pupils' I've had here, giving instruction on building locos, I've only had one 'failure'. And, I certainly don't intend to have two! 

Just one point - the cab's eaves below the rain-strips on Hornby's A3s and A4s in BR green should be black, not green. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks David,

'by chance do you know who the photographer was.'

I do, but for copyright reasons I'd prefer him to remain anonymous, if you don't mind?

I have several more he took at 64B. I'll dig them out.

Regards,

Tony.  

Thank you Tony

I fully understand the copyright issue, also that would be very helpful if you have any additional Haymarket photos, please let me assure you any photos or information I receive is used purely for reference only and nothing else.

Regards

David 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A Hornby Stanier Five complete repaint, representing the loco in ex-works, preserved condition.

And here she is sans nameplates in slightly more use, preserved condition - on the GCR:

SJP2O4B124502150914.jpg.073b78d816908f50c242a4d3182e86bb.jpg

Tony

• Like 12

Is it something about the way the image has been processed? I'm curious as I've seen that sort of thing before, and in the case of one photographer in particular it seems to be his "house style". I can only say that I like photographs to look like photographs. I don't like them to be processed to look like paintings or computer generated images.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Hi

interesting the comments regarding the last photo of the Black 5.

before I retired and got into model railways I use to do a lot of railway photography attending organised photo charters on preserved heritage railways.

I sometimes found after  taking digital photos and editing them in photoshop some would almost look like paintings rather than photos apart from the disappointment I was never happy with the outcome and wondered why this happened.

i then came to the conclusion it wasn’t anything to do with my editing but the  position of the sun when taking the photo, especially when the sun was to the side of the subject but only at certain angles it was always a bit of a

Mistry to me. 

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Is it something about the way the image has been processed? I'm curious as I've seen that sort of thing before, and in the case of one photographer in particular it seems to be his "house style". I can only say that I like photographs to look like photographs. I don't like them to be processed to look like paintings or computer generated images.

My wife was just glancing at the laptop when I had it open and she thought it was a model with Photoshopped steam. When I told her it was real she said it looked fake. It does look very reminiscent of some of the preservation shots I've seen in Steam Railway, which have an otherworldly look them. Is it something to do with dynamic range, bringing out shadowed areas that we wouldn't expect to see in a photo?

Edited by Barry Ten
formatting

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Tony, I thought that you might like to see a video of our insanely large P4 layout taken last week at Scaleforum. I Hope that I'm not intruding with some 'Southern' stuff!

There's still much to be done on the viaduct and even more on the station side!

This is a scratchbuilt 4-LAV using Worsley Works etches.

Very good to see this at such an advanced state of development, John.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Tony, I thought that you might like to see a video of our insanely large P4 layout taken last week at Scaleforum. I Hope that I'm not intruding with some 'Southern' stuff!

There's still much to be done on the viaduct and even more on the station side!

This is a scratchbuilt 4-LAV using Worsley Works etches.
1060929805_4-LAV1.jpg.b378310da22a828e4532392af8d98445.jpg

Out of interest .... how long is each scenic section? Personally I particularly enjoyed the Brighton Bell shooting across.

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, petrovich said:

All

The Black Five photo looks as though it has had an element of HDR applied to it somewhere.

Regards

Peter

I would agree, or the ‘shadows’ have been over corrected in whichever software has been used in post processing the image. In the railway press this type of effect seems quite popular. I’m not a fan.

Iain

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Lecorbusier said:

Out of interest .... how long is each scenic section? Personally I particularly enjoyed the Brighton Bell shooting across.

Tim, they actually vary a little between the 'Pavilion' boards at 1300mm and the others at 1400mm. The viaduct is 6.8m (23ft) plus the 'running on' boards at 1400mm each.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Tim, they actually vary a little between the 'Pavilion' boards at 1300mm and the others at 1400mm. The viaduct is 6.8m (23ft) plus the 'running on' boards at 1400mm each.

So getting on for 10m end to end before heading round the curve?  

• Agree 1

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 19:16, landscapes said:

Good Evening Tony

Following the recent discussions regarding Thompson's A2/3 Class I enclose a photo of some of my Haymarket based locomotives with a photoshopped background.

I am afraid they are all RTR models with the possible exception of A2/3 60511 Airborne which is a G King/Bachmann Conversion.

Still lots of work to do to the layout but that doesn't stop me trying to take cameo photos as and where I can.

I cannot stay true to the prototype layout due to lack of information of surrounding area's and the space required to replicate the entire MPD at 4mm scale.

Regards

David

60027_IMG_0437B.jpg

This layout looks superb , David . I would love to see more photos of loco's & progress on it . Also  take Tony's advice & have a go at a loco kit , with his help if necessary as it opens a whole new range of loco classes . There are many experienced modellers on this thread who would be happy to help with any problems . I too , as Tony well knows , am a supporter of the Thompson pacifics , you are not alone ! You will of course need no 60519 HONEYWAY for Haymarket , if you haven't already got it . Keep us all up to date with progress .

Ray .

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

Fascinating photo Tony - It looks more like a painting with those vertical shadows and highlights on the vehicle behind the tender and the rippling on the tender.

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

interesting the comments regarding the last photo of the Black 5.

before I retired and got into model railways I use to do a lot of railway photography attending organised photo charters on preserved heritage railways.

I sometimes found after  taking digital photos and editing them in photoshop some would almost look like paintings rather than photos apart from the disappointment I was never happy with the outcome and wondered why this happened.

i then came to the conclusion it wasn’t anything to do with my editing but the  position of the sun when taking the photo, especially when the sun was to the side of the subject but only at certain angles it was always a bit of a

Mistry to me. 

Regards

David

1 hour ago, petrovich said:

All

The Black Five photo looks as though it has had an element of HDR applied to it somewhere.

Regards

Peter

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

My wife was just glancing at the laptop when I had it open and she thought it was a model with Photoshopped steam. When I told her it was real she said it looked fake. It does look very reminiscent of some of the preservation shots I've seen in Steam Railway, which have an otherworldly look them. Is it something to do with dynamic range, bringing out shadowed areas that we wouldn't expect to see in a photo?

58 minutes ago, Iain.d said:

I would agree, or the ‘shadows’ have been over corrected in whichever software has been used in post processing the image. In the railway press this type of effect seems quite popular. I’m not a fan.

Iain

Well that went well! - or at least stimulated some discussion.:scratchhead:

I appreciate that looking at photographs is an "eye of the beholder thing; this one won 1st prize in the GCR's own photographic competition run for them by Loughborough Camera Club (of which I am not a member). The rippling of the tender sides is real but might not be seen in different light - or if it was dirtier.

No, its not HDR, but the light on this day was very strong, but under a flat grey sky  - see top right ; yes the shadows have been pulled up slightly but that compensates for the fact that even modern DSLR cameras do not have the dynamic range that the human eye does. On such days black and white pictures can often look better than colour; the picture has also been "sharpened" - in days of film this was all done in the darkroom, now it is done via software.

SJP2O4B129402150914.jpg.9fad8e01f96e88d70936a0442735d253.jpg

Apologies, Tony, for inadvertantly diverting your thread towards lineside photography! :)

Tony

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Well that went well! - or at least stimulated some discussion.:scratchhead:

I appreciate that looking at photographs is an "eye of the beholder thing; this one won 1st prize in the GCR's own photographic competition run for them by Loughborough Camera Club (of which I am not a member). The rippling of the tender sides is real but might not be seen in different light - or if it was dirtier.

No, its not HDR, but the light on this day was very strong, but under a flat grey sky  - see top right ; yes the shadows have been pulled up slightly but that compensates for the fact that even modern DSLR cameras do not have the dynamic range that the human eye does. On such days black and white pictures can often look better than colour; the picture has also been "sharpened" - in days of film this was all done in the darkroom, now it is done via software.

SJP2O4B129402150914.jpg.9fad8e01f96e88d70936a0442735d253.jpg

Apologies, Tony, for inadvertantly diverting your thread towards lineside photography! :)

Tony

Hi Tony

I am sorry if I gave any impression I was criticising your photos, that certainly was not my intention.

I was just remarking to comments that  sometimes when I took railway photos myself and due to some lighting conditions they looked more like a painting than a photo.

Your railway  photography is excellent.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

This layout looks superb , David . I would love to see more photos of loco's & progress on it . Also  take Tony's advice & have a go at a loco kit , with his help if necessary as it opens a whole new range of loco classes . There are many experienced modellers on this thread who would be happy to help with any problems . I too , as Tony well knows , am a supporter of the Thompson pacifics , you are not alone ! You will of course need no 60519 HONEYWAY for Haymarket , if you haven't already got it . Keep us all up to date with progress .

Ray .

Hi Ray

Thank you for your kind remarks, I do have my own thread in the Layout Topics section called Haymarket 64B.

And sorry Tony for using Little Bytham to advertise my own Haymarket thread , it will not happen again.

Best Regards

David

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

I am sorry if I gave any impression I was criticising your photos, that certainly was not my intention.

I was just remarking to comments that  sometimes when I took railway photos myself and due to some lighting conditions they looked more like a painting than a photo.

Your railway  photography is excellent.

Regards

David

No problem David - what people like in photographs varies as much as what they like in model railways!

You are right that there is a tendency towards more 'painterly' effects in images and of course, preserved railways don't actually look much like BR in the '50's.

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I like both the images of the model and the real thing. The latter has an air of having been colourised – ie. when a black and white image is coloured although this effect might conceivably have partly been achieved by desaturating and increasing the contrast of a colour image. What I notice on the real thing is that the locomotive doesn't align neatly with it's tender as it does on the model. On the model the numbers on the cab side aren't set on a straight baseline and there appears to be an area of what in the car paint terms would be called 'orange peel' on the boiler. With regards to the numbers I don't think the decal makers are helping as much as they could – it's nigh on impossible to critically align individual digits accurately. It would be a great help if they offered decals of at least some of the numbers correctly aligned and spaced with additional spare numbers to give the modeller a good chance of getting part of the whole number in perfect alignment to serve as a guide for the other individual numbers to be slotted into place.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1