Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

On 04/10/2019 at 15:22, Re6/6 said:

Tony, I thought that you might like to see a video of our insanely large P4 layout taken last week at Scaleforum. I Hope that I'm not intruding with some 'Southern' stuff!

There's still much to be done on the viaduct and even more on the station side!

This is a scratchbuilt 4-LAV using Worsley Works etches.
1060929805_4-LAV1.jpg.b378310da22a828e4532392af8d98445.jpg

You're not intruding at all.

What a fantastic creation. 

Anyway, thanks to all for 'intruding' over the weekend on Wright Writes. I go away for two days at the Wigan Show, and there are two more pages! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

On 04/10/2019 at 17:35, Tony Teague said:

Well that went well! - or at least stimulated some discussion.:scratchhead:

I appreciate that looking at photographs is an "eye of the beholder thing; this one won 1st prize in the GCR's own photographic competition run for them by Loughborough Camera Club (of which I am not a member). The rippling of the tender sides is real but might not be seen in different light - or if it was dirtier.

No, its not HDR, but the light on this day was very strong, but under a flat grey sky  - see top right ; yes the shadows have been pulled up slightly but that compensates for the fact that even modern DSLR cameras do not have the dynamic range that the human eye does. On such days black and white pictures can often look better than colour; the picture has also been "sharpened" - in days of film this was all done in the darkroom, now it is done via software.

SJP2O4B129402150914.jpg.9fad8e01f96e88d70936a0442735d253.jpg

Apologies, Tony, for inadvertantly diverting your thread towards lineside photography! :)

Tony

You never need to apologise to me, Tony.

I've found the discussions very interesting this morning. 

I don't do a great deal of real railway photography these days, and, if I do, I try not to manipulate the images at all. Rather like my taking pictures on transparency in the past. WYSIWYG, I think. 

One thing which dissuades me nowadays from taking prototype pictures (on the ECML in particular), is the intrusion of OHL equipment..... 

1981687450_Bittern4121402.jpg.b68454cfa92e017bc9de94cfc35ffa1a.jpg

Or (below), even more prohibitive, thanks to Mother Nature now, where's the train?!

Bittern.jpg.e0c5af5914200753232d17d7dbcbcf3f.jpg

543210059_Tornado851001.jpg.b6e6704736b82ab3087821b20e7b6f4a.jpg

If I do record prototype trains, I'll find a spot which is not too inhibiting.................

1724248030_600072160805.jpg.ebc0f6ea475269ebf98157cba0250519.jpg

Though not on the ECML, at least Sleaford was ER.

1460278794_60009Grantham.jpg.ba11e1b4ede89cbcf8db4e32997e6853.jpg

No amount of Photoshop trickery could get much from this night shot, though. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 8

On 04/10/2019 at 19:01, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

Thank you for your kind remarks, I do have my own thread in the Layout Topics section called Haymarket 64B.

And sorry Tony for using Little Bytham to advertise my own Haymarket thread , it will not happen again.

Best Regards

David

'And sorry Tony for using Little Bytham to advertise my own Haymarket thread , it will not happen again.'

Why and why not?

Let's see more of your work on here as well, David, please. Someone said to me over the weekend that Wright Writes is the most-viewed thread on RMweb. I've no idea if this is true, but, if it is, then good modelling (from anyone) makes it what it is.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 05/10/2019 at 17:17, vitalspark said:

Very nice shot of some of your 64B locos.

Cant help noticing 60012 poking its nose out of the shed and thought I would post this pic of my own Hornby detailed and weathered example with a question/request for information regarding its whistle.

The loco is a Hornby A4 originally Merlin so tender correct for 'Commonwealth' and includes the extra strip along nthe bottom from Coronation days which is required as Tony has correctly pointed out.

It also has the aws pipework added along the edge of the running plate that all post '59 A4s should have but seldom seem to be included by modellers.

Weathered and closer bar coupling fitted to tender completes the picture..but..the whistle is wrong for post '59 as no12 received Western Australian Railway whistle atvthat time.

I have many photographs of number 12 from the early '60s and all show the different whistle but not in sufficient detail to allow me to model this.

Does anyone have a decent high res pic that would allow close up?

I doubt it would be difficult to reproduce if I knew what it actually looked like! 

Fingers crossed for a pic.

Thanks

Dave.

IMG_0369-1.jpg

Lovely model, Dave,

But how common were A4s at Alloa? And Pullman cars? And, please, please change those bogie wheels! 

Speaking of this magnificent layout, get to Glasgow in February and see it.

Sorry, can't help you with 12's whistle.

Regards,

Tony. 

Having just spent an excellent weekend at the Wigan Show, may I please thank Steve Roberts and all his team for putting on such a fine exhibition?

2040099294_mystand.jpg.84a2b6402d64747f76c4b9681055e2ae.jpg

I did my usual demonstrating and loco doctoring. Many thanks to all those who donated so generously to CRUK because if this.

641742640_Arnside05.jpg.e66f66047b7318062a9f82e336560c65.jpg

'Star' of the show to me was Arnside, built in OO by Greig Mackenzie. Guess what as well - a young modeller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'And sorry Tony for using Little Bytham to advertise my own Haymarket thread , it will not happen again.'

Why and why not?

Let's see more of your work on here as well, David, please. Someone said to me over the weekend that Wright Writes is the most-viewed thread on RMweb. I've no idea if this is true, but, if it is, then good modelling (from anyone) makes it what it is.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

welcome back and thank you for you comments.

I don’t think there is any doubt about the popularity of Little Bytham.I have just looked at my Haymarket 64B thread and I am coming up to 50,000 views, Little Bytham is just coming up to 2.7 Million views.

And surely Gilbert’s Peterborough North thread must hold the Silver medal position.

Regards

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like you Tony I find modern steam photography on the main line (which for me is the WCML through Wigan) not very interesting these days. All my old photo locations are now overgrown or inaccessible.

The photographer of this clip though made it special. Is one of those young ladies taking a photo on her phone ? Talking of whistles, only one loco beats this A4 - but I think the answer is self explanatory in my nom de plume

Best I have managed past few years, 100 yards from home. Early morning sun in right place. Another ER loco !! Storming up Boars head bank - so quietly and seemingly effortlessly.

DSCF2002_crop1.jpg.9619519e1d252439456f59f2c635ee35.jpg

Wasn't the Wigan Exhibition superb (as usual) ?. You seemed quite busy when I walked by - with a bit of a queue at one stage.

My favourite layouts this year were the O gauge Kirtley Bridge, OO modern image Alderford (with superb catenary) and the N gauge Melton Mowbray North. I overheard one operator there stating he came from Melton - From one town renown for making pies to another town renown for eating them !!

Brit15

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning Tony

First I hope you and your good lady had a safe drive home from Wigan yesterday,( I was thinking about you at seven o'clock and didn't envy the long drive you undertook ) always a pleasure to have a chat with you , after seeing City of London in the flesh hears my DJH Duchess not up to your photographic skills i am afraid, as I said to you I did invest in the new bogie wheels and I am pleased in the end result she's a good powerful loco ( TA12 can motor driving direct axle gear )

So it's back to track building for a while then I have two DJH A3s that I must get round to building !!

Dennis

46229 002.JPG

Edited by D.Platt
Missed out name
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Craigw said:

The posting by JRG1 of the NSWGR chime whistle prompted me to share  this video from Youtube. 3265, one of the preserved NSWGR P class ran a tour yesterday to Kiama on the Illawarra line and return. I went on the tour with some mates and even persuaded my wife to some along. 3265 is shown arriving at Sutherland and again departing with the beautiful tones of the whistle sounding as she leaves. I may model the GWR but to me this is one of the most beautiful whistle sounds around.

Regards,

Craig W

I think this is a model of the same c;lass?

dec2006_143.jpg.d82ce205cb92487d859fd58c6fb6b596.jpg

I'm guessing it will be familiar to Australian contributors as it was one of several models in a display at a Sydney museum I visited in 2006.

Most of them had the look of being made from kits - perhaps someone can suggest the likely origins? I don't remember there being any explanatory

information on the display, but they looked like lovely models of fascinating prototypes.

Some more below:

dec2006_140.jpg.7b90e5a4b305a3e546d5e05f7764a22c.jpg

dec2006_141.jpg.83a07a30e12d00f098c41aa800c13c15.jpg

dec2006_142.jpg.473990d13871534723235418c050f7ee.jpg

dec2006_145.jpg.7505780c2244797ec73847ab4a2c3762.jpg

dec2006_146.jpg.9c40e8bb7800d05a10545d6032a58089.jpg

dec2006_147.jpg.2f6d647a55b5fd102de8c0ef04da45f1.jpg

cheers,

Al

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Lovely model, Dave,

But how common were A4s at Alloa? And Pullman cars? And, please, please change those bogie wheels! 

Speaking of this magnificent layout, get to Glasgow in February and see it.

Sorry, can't help you with 12's whistle.

Regards,

Tony. 

Well spotted Tony!

It was being test run on Alloa to prove the new coupling bar and the big layout next door on which it will be at home had a full track occupation courtesy of Chas and the p/way gang!

The Pullman cars are new and unweathered so wouldn't be used in that condition in service even if the layout was suitable and yes I have since fitted new bogie wheels courtesy of Alan Gibson.

I have also redirected the aws pipework to follow the running plate to the end as prototype and bunched the cylinder drains with fusewire.

The images I received by pm from Landscapes were excellent and I received a full engineers drawing for the WAR whistle from JRG1 so now well equipped to create the correct hooter!

What great site this is for help and information.

Keep you posted.

(Look forward to seeing Mo and yourself at Glasgow in Feb and yes we will be running Alloa.)

Regards

Dave. 

• Thanks 1

I have been asked to close out a Celebration of Life for a well known Modeller over here using my Father/Grandfathers Station Masters Whistle.  If I remember the correct 'permission to leave the station'  was a long single blow s ometimes with what I would call a curl at the end.  I would appreciate it if someone could confirm.   Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

You never need to apologise to me, Tony.

I've found the discussions very interesting this morning. 

I don't do a great deal of real railway photography these days, and, if I do, I try not to manipulate the images at all. Rather like my taking pictures on transparency in the past. WYSIWYG, I think. 

One thing which dissuades me nowadays from taking prototype pictures (on the ECML in particular), is the intrusion of OHL equipment..... 

1981687450_Bittern4121402.jpg.b68454cfa92e017bc9de94cfc35ffa1a.jpg

Or (below), even more prohibitive, thanks to Mother Nature now, where's the train?!

Bittern.jpg.e0c5af5914200753232d17d7dbcbcf3f.jpg

543210059_Tornado851001.jpg.b6e6704736b82ab3087821b20e7b6f4a.jpg

If I do record prototype trains, I'll find a spot which is not too inhibiting.................

1724248030_600072160805.jpg.ebc0f6ea475269ebf98157cba0250519.jpg

Though not on the ECML, at least Sleaford was ER.

1460278794_60009Grantham.jpg.ba11e1b4ede89cbcf8db4e32997e6853.jpg

No amount of Photoshop trickery could get much from this night shot, though. 

Regards,

Tony. 

But the last one (the night shot) is the one oozing atmosphere and giving the sense of speed through the slight blurring of the loco front. The others just look a bit sterile.

5 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Morning Tony

First I hope you and your good lady had a safe drive home from Wigan yesterday,( I was thinking about you at seven o'clock and didn't envy the long drive you undertook ) always a pleasure to have a chat with you , after seeing City of London in the flesh hears my DJH Duchess not up to your photographic skills i am afraid, as I said to you I did invest in the new bogie wheels and I am pleased in the end result she's a good powerful loco ( TA12 can motor driving direct axle gear )

So it's back to track building for a while then I have two DJH A3s that I must get round to building !!

46229 002.JPG

Good to chat to you yesterday.......................

Thanks for posting the picture of 46229. Lovely stuff!

Mo and I had a really easy journey back home yesterday evening. For once, both the M6 and the A50 were clear, and we wheeled into the drive in less than three hours from Wigan (including a stop for the usual).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'I'd amplify the implied point about an overload of boring clone-modelling of late 50s / early 60s.......'

With tongue firmly in cheek, I really must try harder!

Both the V2s in the picture, I made using your excellent resin bodies. 

Does this make them clones?

Regards,

Tony. 

In clarification of my intended point, I'd say that the very best of the BR late 50s / early 60s layouts, attempting accurate and unique portrayals of real places with a large proportion of hand-built items including locos and rolling stock, are certainly neither boring nor or they clones. Those adjectives do however apply when large numbers of modellers jump on the bandwagon of 50s /60s "choice of convenience" green-era in an imaginary location, especially if the results are indifferent or unrealistic and (too often) based entirely on items that come complete in red or blue boxes. The over-exploitation of the theme then spoils the pleasure of seeing the really good examples.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gr.king said:

In clarification of my intended point, I'd say that the very best of the BR late 50s / early 60s layouts, attempting accurate and unique portrayals of real places with a large proportion of hand-built items including locos and rolling stock, are certainly neither boring nor or they clones. Those adjectives do however apply when large numbers of modellers jump on the bandwagon of 50s /60s "choice of convenience" green-era in an imaginary location, especially if the results are indifferent or unrealistic and (too often) based entirely on items that come complete in red or blue boxes. The over-exploitation of the theme then spoils the pleasure of seeing the really good examples.

It could be a chicken/egg/chicken situation, Graeme.

Because the largest demographic in the hobby right now is the 'Baby Boomer' generation - like me, born just post-War, growing up seeing BR steam/diesel transition - , then that makes the '50s/early-'60s the most popular period to model. So, the RTR manufacturers concentrate on providing models for this the most, thus 'feeding' that popularity, and so on....................

But you're right, especially with regard to RTR locos/rolling stock, especially in OO. Good though it is (and we've been here before), there's really too much of it all round right now in my opinion; at shows, in the mags and online. 

That said, I've just taken on a commission to build the original 'Hush-Hush'. Obviously, that could never be in BR condition, and I doubt if any RTR manufacturer will look at it. 

I'll be writing up the results in BRM. What a refreshing change; after being effectively told by two of the staff that 'kit-building (complex) locos isn't BRM's material any more', the new boss said 'Yes please' to my suggestion of an article. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Well,  I guess I fall fairly and squarely into the latter end of that statement.  None of my layouts use any kits and are totally reliant on RTR locos and stock as well as ready to plant buildings. All of these items are from either Hornby or Bachmann. All are set in 1950s/1960s. As a result should my efforts be decried as being either boring or a clone..........others can judge but I'm happy with what I do and how I do it.

Like many others, I am  simply taking advantage of top quality models being produced by the ready to run manufacturers............Therefore, if my layouts detract from 'the really good examples', as I say, others can judge. 

Rob

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It could be a chicken/egg/chicken situation, Graeme.

Because the largest demographic in the hobby right now is the 'Baby Boomer' generation - like me, born just post-War, growing up seeing BR steam/diesel transition - , then that makes the '50s/early-'60s the most popular period to model. So, the RTR manufacturers concentrate on providing models for this the most, thus 'feeding' that popularity, and so on....................

But you're right, especially with regard to RTR locos/rolling stock, especially in OO. Good though it is (and we've been here before), there's really too much of it all round right now in my opinion; at shows, in the mags and online. 

That said, I've just taken on a commission to build the original 'Hush-Hush'. Obviously, that could never be in BR condition, and I doubt if any RTR manufacturer will look at it. 

I'll be writing up the results in BRM. What a refreshing change; after being effectively told by two of the staff that 'kit-building (complex) locos isn't BRM's material any more, the new boss said 'Yes please' to my suggestion of an article. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony 

Hush-Hush loco? Shush!!!!!! we have trying to keep that one top secret form the manufacturers, remember walls have ears.  :secret:

I started to make my own diesels because people said "They will never make one of them". Not only have they made my mainline efforts look crude but they are infringing on those rare little shunters no one trainspotted or photographed or wanted to model but there appears to be an interest now. 

10000 is one of the few big LNER locos that has not been made so I am sure there is a market for it after all they did make a P2 which there was only one of in its as built condition, and the Duke of Gloucester. I am sure The Great Bear is on the hit list. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Well,  I guess I fall fairly and squarely into the latter end of that statement.  None of my layouts use any kits and are totally reliant on RTR locos and stock as well as ready to plant buildings. All of these items are from either Hornby or Bachmann. All are set in 1950s/1960s. As a result should my efforts be decried as being either boring or a clone..........others can judge but I'm happy with what I do and how I do it.

Like many others, I am  simply taking advantage of top quality models being produced by the ready to run manufacturers............Therefore, if my layouts detract from 'the really good examples', as I say, others can judge. 

Rob

Graeme did say 'especially if the results are indifferent or unrealistic', Rob. 

I wouldn't 'judge' anything you make to be in either category.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Graeme did say 'especially if the results are indifferent or unrealistic', Rob. 

I wouldn't 'judge' anything you make to be in either category.

Regards,

Tony. 

That is extremely kind of you to say so, Tony.

Thank you.

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I was born a bit later, 1952 so my main interest is in mid to late 60's era - there's a whole thread devoted to it here on rmweb - it's called "Why is this rarely modelled"  You have to read it to understand it - 24 pages and rising with many superb photos of this era.

End of steam - a sad era for many, yet what replaced steam back then is mostly history right now. I'm not knocking Tony's era - far from it - but I was a small lad back then and have virtually no memories of it. It really was "Death Steam" for me !!

The railway, like our hobby, never stops evolving - though some of us (self included) tend to get stuck in a time warp !!

Brit15

• Like 4