Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

1259559533_Parksideex-LMSCCT01.jpg.b01e689756acbc5cb8fe2e737289b483.jpg

423611959_Parksideex-LMSCCT02.jpg.24e1323b1c340a93de2f542352292581.jpg

The next was this ex-LMS CCT, again now in service on Little Bytham. Standing in the goods yard, my fitting of Sprat & Winkle couplings allows it to be shunted. Again, this type is not available RTR (I think). 

What absolutely splendid kits these are. Inexpensive, easy to build and now come complete with transfers. They're a wonderful 'entry-level' to the making of rolling stock in this great hobby. 

This is the earlier diagram of LMS CCT - I built the Parkside kit of one about 15-20 years ago. I also did two of the later diagram, which is the one Hornby has now done RTR although it's a bit basic as it dates from their 'Design (not so) Clever' era.

1 hour ago, dibateg said:

Think yourself lucky Jesse - I've known Tony for 30 years or so - I'm still being criticised! Its a bit like the accolade of being insulted by Billy Connolly! 

I don't get to see Tony so often these day, but when we get together, we pick up and have the greatest laughs.  Which is what you do with great friends.

The greatest thing is that Tony ( and others ) inspired me, in turn I know I have inspired other people - and that somehow makes everything worth while.

Tony

I'm humbled Tony,

What was my comment about that MTK Cravens DMU you were building which you brought for me to see? Something to do with faecal matter I think!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 3

Well Tony, your comments for what they are set down to challange the listener. Jesse, learnt and was challenged to improve. The same way your article did in the December 1989 railway modeller did for me... I was 15! I was never told that it was hard to solder or work in metal... I just gave it a go. 

This is part of what a lot of educators call " life long learning" whether this is for work purposes or a hobby. It keeps you brain active. 

My modelling is currently a bit all all over the place but I need to finish a high level kits Neilson mineral tank. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jacko said:

I'm hoping he's coming to Glasgow again. A chance for another chat with Tony AND seeing Alloa will make it worth the 30 mile drive :D

Graeme   

It's bit further for me, Graeme,

But hope to see you.......................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougN said:

Well Tony, your comments for what they are set down to challange the listener. Jesse, learnt and was challenged to improve. The same way your article did in the December 1989 railway modeller did for me... I was 15! I was never told that it was hard to solder or work in metal... I just gave it a go. 

This is part of what a lot of educators call " life long learning" whether this is for work purposes or a hobby. It keeps you brain active. 

My modelling is currently a bit all all over the place but I need to finish a high level kits Neilson mineral tank. 

Which article was that, Doug?

I've written so many down the years, I've forgotten. 

It's gratifying to know that articles I (or any other modeller) have written have been of use, especially to the less-experienced. 

Whatever I describe, I always stress it's 'a way' of doing things, 'my way, but never 'the way'. I know it's a way which works.

The subject of taking on board criticism (hopefully constructive) keeps on coming up. I saw a changing approach to 'criticism' during my final years in teaching, over a quarter of a century ago now. Nobody seemed to be allowed to 'fail'. Excellence was almost derided, or something to be hushed up.

Even in school sports it was happening. As part of my role as staff social secretary, each year I'd put in an invitation staff relay team to compete against the 5th/6th years  boys' teams in the 4 x 400 metres event (in a comprehensive school). The fact that I had two 'international' runners meant we never lost. Then, it was decided that more staff  teams should be represented, but this time 'all-inclusive'. Why? Because it's 'humbling to be beaten and not good for the character'. What a farce, and no more did the staff participate. 

When folk show their models to me and invite comment, I tell the truth as I see it. Not to destroy their confidence and to put them off, but to show them a way to improve. I expect nothing less of the models I make. Why should comments exhorting the likes of making things for oneself, observing the prototype at all times and striving for greater accuracy be derided in some quarters? Especially if they also include helping others.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. It's off later for my birthday meal with my oldest friend (we first met 62 years ago!). Even then, we were mutually-critical of our own model-making! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Happy birthday Tony, I didn't realise our birthdays were so close together - Kim's was on the 4th, mine the 8th and eldest son is on the 16th. Those cold February nights have a lot to answer for! 

cheers Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

We're all 'level-headed' though! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm humbled Tony,

What was my comment about that MTK Cravens DMU you were building which you brought for me to see? Something to do with faecal matter I think!

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony is like a really good teacher / lecturer, you do not appreciate what was conversed and discussed till you have time to reflect. He has amused, taught and pointed out to me at a few shows now and looking back all of it was relevant and a good grounding to the hobby.

Long may it continue.

Regards

Peter

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday Tony!

We met at Wigan - you convinced me soldering is the way to go with white metal.  Thanks for your time and patience!

The 'practice' 97xx is making up quite nicely.  It's going to live on a Comet chassis.

Nick

97xx_1.jpg

97xx_2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

1 hour ago, NickM said:

Happy birthday Tony!

We met at Wigan - you convinced me soldering is the way to go with white metal.  Thanks for your time and patience!

The 'practice' 97xx is making up quite nicely.  It's going to live on a Comet chassis.

Nick

97xx_1.jpg

97xx_2.jpg

Thanks Nick,

Is that really that old K's kit you bought off me at Wigan? Just last weekend! 

What fantastic work. 

My compliments indeed. 

Thanks, too for all the good wishes today from everyone.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, richard i said:

Have a great birthday meal. For me the article that got me hooked was the V2 article where you honestly appraised both kits. 

Your view on my weathering was flying turd. Obviously advice is normally number 2 related. 

Richard 

Thanks Richard,

I thought the epithet describing your Austerity was apposite. 

theflyingturd.jpg.5b6b11adb816ec956ae5d256d1f08080.jpg

Everyone else agreed!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2