Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Happy Birthday Tony.

Ah yes, the Cravens.... did you describe it as sh1te? I think so! Still makes me laugh.

I think I’ve moved on a bit.. 34091 built for a client, painted by Paul Moore.

1036865E-77AA-4DD8-A039-F79DA4C33ADB.jpeg.51ddf6f1a531f3b282697c6497a3c83c.jpeg

Regards

Tony

Edited by dibateg
Picture
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Oh and replying to Clem, here is my iron ore train for Basford North. You are a bit ahead of me mate!

20 Kit built ABS brass iron ore tipplers... in my storage sidings..yet to be laid...

1BA4E972-7B1D-4CC8-B514-05415B089C36.jpeg.f119fdb99a587496d5b7852026695b5d.jpeg

Edited by dibateg
Typo
  • Like 11

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Richard

As Rich says "Sating" ain't an Essex word. I would have thought you would have realised that after teaching in Essex. However I do understand on your return you are now teaching children in a part of Essex which has an English dialect that bears no relation with any other forms of English so "Sating" could well be in their vocabulary.

The Essex accent is quite unique and is probably in decline. My parents and cousins speak it but my brother's and myself do not. Growing up in Brentwood we mixed with too many people who had moved out from London.

Interestingly our children born in Essex but raised in Dorset have never picked up the local accent.

Martyn

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Australian TV is half way between British and American in terribleness.

It's not all bad though. Back when I used to do astronomy for a living, we used to come down from the telescope in the morning, crack open a tinny, and watch

re-runs of Bergerac.

On the occasional subject of grammar, I was surprised to hear a BBC announcer describe the group Cream as "comprised of" Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

Al

And the BBC TV announcer who was criticised recently for criticising Donald Trump, said the other day 'We've shook a lot of hands this morning'. I despair!!!!!!

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

SHOOK !! -- A whole lot of shakin going on !!

1964 - Deltics and A3's (etc) running together - real pop music kicking off (Beatles, Stones Who)  - what a time (I was 12) !!!

Brit15

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

And the BBC TV announcer who was criticised recently for criticising Donald Trump, said the other day 'We've shook a lot of hands this morning'. I despair!!!!!!

Regards,

Tony.  

37 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

SHOOK !! -- A whole lot of shakin going on !!

1964 - Deltics and A3's (etc) running together - real pop music kicking off (Beatles, Stones Who)  - what a time (I was 12) !!!

Brit15

After reading those two posts I'm all shook up...

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Hi

Fully agree with the  Beatles music and other groups from the Sixtes.

Every time I hear the record Please Please Me in my mind I am transported back to Euston & Kings Cross Stations in the early sixties.

Wonderful music and Wonderful times, where did it all go?

David

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Fully agree with the  Beatles music and other groups from the Sixtes.

Every time I hear the record Please Please Me in my mind I am transported back to Euston & Kings Cross Stations in the early sixties.

Wonderful music and Wonderful times, where did it all go?

David

Every time I hear I Feel Fine I'm reminded of a little fling with a cousin's girlfriend...

• Funny 5

One last word regarding pop music, the late 50's,60's and 70's.

There are some fabulous railway vids here by Lewisham Bill, overlaid by pop music of the time (Radio London etc). Best to watch a couple than for me to describe them. They really do portray the era. Something here for everybody.

https://vimeo.com/user5981217

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Lecorbusier said:

Oh dear .... every time I hear yellow submarine I am reminded of Pass the parcel and musical chairs :mocking_mini:

When I hear the lyrics of Yellow Submarine I am reminded that the Beatles were all as high as kites much of the time.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Since this thread is all about making things, surely this is one of the greatest model railways ever made, or being made.........................?

The late Roy Jackson's Retford. 

I bet I'm not the only one keen to hear news of whether it will continue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Headstock said:

The GC matchboard BT 7 is just about finished. The brake end glazing is to add and screw link when the paint is all dry. It will be running as lead carriage in the 7.45 pm Rugby Leicester ECS. This was a repositioning move for the set to work the 9.55 pm Leicester back to Nottingham, from whence the set began its working day at 5.15 am. The three quater view of the carriage had the body on the underframes the wrong way about. It will have to do, the weather being a bit rubish today prevents the getting of a replacement shot as good, I have tried. I don't think that the 3d components and ad hoc end beading turned out to bad in the end.

LSGC is off to Bradford industrial museum on Monday morning as part of their Modelmania event.

https://www.bradfordmuseums.org/whats-on/modelmania

The Layout will be on 'static display from Tuesday the 15th. There will be some of the stock present and there will also be displays and modeling demonstrations by Shipley Model Railway Society . I shall be popping in and out to test run some stock during the week, as time allows. The layout will be operating its full time table on Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th of  October.

BT 7 Side view.jpg

CL 3-4 BT 7 no2.jpg

Ex GC BT 7.jpg

BT 7 brake enD.jpg

That’s a cracking model, Andrew.  Those door handles, grabs and safety rails in particular are excellently modelled.  You have a very good eye for detail.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Headstock said:

The GC matchboard BT 7 is just about finished. The brake end glazing is to add and screw link when the paint is all dry. It will be running as lead carriage in the 7.45 pm Rugby Leicester ECS. This was a repositioning move for the set to work the 9.55 pm Leicester back to Nottingham, from whence the set began its working day at 5.15 am. The three quater view of the carriage had the body on the underframes the wrong way about. It will have to do, the weather being a bit rubish today prevents the getting of a replacement shot as good, I have tried. I don't think that the 3d components and ad hoc end beading turned out to bad in the end.

LSGC is off to Bradford industrial museum on Monday morning as part of their Modelmania event.

https://www.bradfordmuseums.org/whats-on/modelmania

The Layout will be on 'static display from Tuesday the 15th. There will be some of the stock present and there will also be displays and modeling demonstrations by Shipley Model Railway Society . I shall be popping in and out to test run some stock during the week, as time allows. The layout will be operating its full time table on Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th of  October.

BT 7 Side view.jpg

CL 3-4 BT 7 no2.jpg

Ex GC BT 7.jpg

BT 7 brake enD.jpg

Thanks Andrew,

Coach-building of this quality is rare.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jrg1 said:

Can we have a few words on the painting of the BT7, please?

Good evening JRG1,

Apologies for the late reply, The cleaning of wheels is afoot.

I will assume you mean the model not the prototype. Basically there wasn't the time to use my usual method of producing teak. This requires a base coat and three or four glazes to achieve the teak effect and then time for transfers and adding varnish. Before you know it, a week has passed and you have only reached the weathering stage. I decided to 'back paint' the carriage to match the weathered teak carriages and form a contrast with the shinny Thompson carriages that it will be running with. I wanted a neat finish as observed on the prototype reference material and not the finish that is more applicable to run down mineral wagon.

The technique has more in common with genuine stippling, in that any artist will tell you that this is the technique of applying lighter colours over dark, not to be confused with applying dark colors over light, as in traditional teak painting, this is really a glaze or a wash. Le Corbusier (Tim) of this thread commented favorably on the finish of the dia 86 general van featured up thread. I decided to use the left over paint mix from that project, basically a warm variant of the typical LNER 'coffee brown' that was used on NPC's, some vans and carriages. This was airbrushed on and allowed to settle. The mix was then lightened towards the orange and golden brown and highlight areas were touched in with the airbrush. Attention was paid to the doors, the matchboarding and the larger panels on the upper body. The mix was lightened again and the process repeated. Working wet on wet with the airbrush gives a nice patina you can't get by brush work without destroying the existing paint layer, it is also fast as no drying time is required.

The whole lot was left twenty four hours to dry, and a lighter mix, almost golden yellow orange was brush painted to pick out individual matchboards and other areas were the upper body panels are on the real carriage, more could be done with the upper panels on GC carriages with masking, a future experiment when I have more time. The carriage now had lots of 'modeling', rather than being a flat colour, with highlights and shade but looked a little academic. What gives it that organic touch and brings the whole lot together is a wash over the top, this was applied after another twenty four hours of drying time. The wash was a mix of diluted matt black and a little light rust. This is applied with a big flat brush, often side on, with the mix applied in the direction of gravity. The wash picked up all the detail in the etch and give a richer tone to the model, it can be removed to highlight areas by the use off cotton buds and the density bunched up with the big flat brush. I mostly work wet on wet so that drying time is consistent across the surface being treated. The whole lot is then put aside to dry.

After transfers were added, a coat of gloss varnish was sprayed on. This was done with the pressure on the airbrush set so that it would take many passes to build up a gloss finish, So that what I end up with is a oily rag style patina. I used the airbrush so that the finish fades out to a more matt finish towards the top of the carriage under the cornice. Once this stage was dry, I glazed the compartment windows, masked of the sides and sprayed the roof, again using the pressure regulator on the airbrush, this time to get a 'dusky' effect. The masking was then removed and it is possible to airbrush the carriage ends, black and the weathering coats, without recourse to masking. That's sort of it, I hope that is of help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

4 hours ago, Chamby said:

That’s a cracking model, Andrew.  Those door handles, grabs and safety rails in particular are excellently modelled.  You have a very good eye for detail.

Evening Chamby,

Unlike the previous GC carriage that I built (Jidenco), the little door grab handles were etched as part of the sides on this one, the window bars were not. The etched door handles looked a little flat when compared to the real thing, I push them out from the back with the handle of a small file. This gave them a more rounded three dimensional appearance. On the Jidenco carriage, they all had to be drilled out and made up from point 33 wire. Then again, that kit didn't have the recess in the carriage sides for the door handles either, they had to be individually drilled out and filled to shape. The Bill Bedford kit is quite posh in comparison, he even supplies little backing plates for the door recess, with a hole etched in it for the door handles, the latter are also supplied on the etch.

Edited by Headstock
Add info
  • Informative/Useful 1

October must be a good month for birthdays, I have one coming up too, although I have a whole year younger than you, Tony, Just to show we still attempt to build things at our great age here is one I have just "finished", ready to join Vitalspark's 60012 on our next venture after Alloa.

IMGP0930.jpg.c591b33ba465e6a0c1562c77ca663d7a.jpg

Chas

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Today at the Farnham show I have puchased from the club stall:

- several sets of Comet double slidebars

- two sets of Jackson-Evans balance weights for 28xx and 9F

- an Ian Kirk GWR wagon kit unbuilt

- a Ratio? GWR Gunpowder Van built and only missing couplings and brake gear on one side

That lot cost me an eye-watering tenner.  Still need a chimney for the Hornby 28xx (and to work out how to straighten the smokebox, which the smoke unit has obviously melted) and some pony wheels for the 9F, but getting there.  Recent thread discussion on reasons for "not getting on with it" - and I'll claim at least two of them - but cost cannot be included. 

One or two lovely layouts on display today as well, plus I got to put a face to another RMWeb name.

• Like 2