Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I think that is very true Phil. As a rule of thumb, it seems that layouts that attract viewers at exhibitions are not very exciting to operate and vice versa.

It is possible to have both. I recall several layouts where people stayed to watch a long time because the operation was interesting and varied. The one that sticks in my mind was called Pontypool Riverside, built by a club. I watched for ages as several trains were on scene at any one time and you got a great sense of anticipation as to what would happen next. Just when you had worked out the obvious next move, they did something else. I had that in mind when I designed Narrow Road. We always got good crowds and won "best in show" at several exhibitions but it was very challenging and great fun to operate. There was almost always something moving somewhere and with the best crew on, we could have 5 trains moving at once. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

CF has to be one of the most boring layouts to operate of all time.  However, I never tire of the fantastic driving views from each end, almost like looking out of a cab window.  Operating the goods yard at the front is also a great spot, watching the trains storm past heading north, there is always something moving somewhere and the public are fascinating to talk to.   It’s a railway scene you couldn’t invent (we didn’t need to). 

Tim

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Whenever I think about operating, I recall reading the articles in the early (in the issues numbered in the 30s) MRJs by one of my modelling heroes, Frank Dyer. Those plus the various articles on operating Buckingham struck home.

They set the standard for me.

After reading those I realised what I wanted from my models and that tailchasing wasn't it!I

When I look at Clive's plan for Sheffield Exchange, I wish I had the space to do something like that. A layout designed for operating if ever I saw one. With an optional continuous run if you just want to let them have a run. Superb design! A layout like that will keep an operator so enthralled they will never notice the lack of anything outside the railway boundary.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Well Tony, it was a privilege to operate SS, at your invitation, but to be honest it wasn't a huge intellectual challenge was it? The main job for the operator at the front was to work the signals properly and to control the speed, particularly in and out of the loops.

'but to be honest it wasn't a huge intellectual challenge was it?'

Certainly not, John.

But what would anyone expect from an idea of mine?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

It is possible to have both. I recall several layouts where people stayed to watch a long time because the operation was interesting and varied. The one that sticks in my mind was called Pontypool Riverside, built by a club. I watched for ages as several trains were on scene at any one time and you got a great sense of anticipation as to what would happen next. Just when you had worked out the obvious next move, they did something else. I had that in mind when I designed Narrow Road. We always got good crowds and won "best in show" at several exhibitions but it was very challenging and great fun to operate. There was almost always something moving somewhere and with the best crew on, we could have 5 trains moving at once. 

Tony, I don't think I ever saw Pontypool Riverside although I understand perfectly what you mean. There are others - Grantham and Cwmafon spring to mind - that to me are exceptions that prove the rule.

You've also highlighted something with your "best crew" comment. It's not easy to have a "best crew" available for the full duration of an exhibition.

• Like 1

I well remember before we first exhibited "Alloa", way back in 2008, that I spent a not inconsiderable time setting up a timetable of sorts, more a running schedule. I had a large diagrammatic drawing of the layout and lots of little pieces of paper representing the trains, and I shuffled all these around the plan to come up with a written sequence. So, we took the layout to the exhibition, set up all the trains in the fiddle yard and proceeded to operate to the "timetable". It lasted all of ten minutes before we just decided to run trains!

If our fiddle yard operators are working well, there should always be three trains awaiting entry to the scenic section at any one time and we keep things moving for our audience. While we change operators no-one seems to get bored with this as there is always plenty to do with routes and signals etc. as well as a variety of movements, shunting etc.

The main thing is to keep the public interested.

Chas

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Hi Tony

Yes, the missing 'bridge' does look strange after seeing it there so often.

Some progress made with the extra parts (following the preliminary installation as previously shown.

The additional photoetch delivered. A bit of a milestone for me as my first design using Draftsight software. DSC04387.JPG.1cf8a70acf3635dfb7a8274821df4557.JPG

The top beam flange plates are addedDSC04507.JPG.0c82fe6cb5a4196cbf81603fd0cf1f7d.JPG

Today punched the 4500 rivets of the bottom cross beams

DSC04506.JPG.4251ebb365636e9494e3eb528986136d.JPG

So progress being made albeit taking some time. Thanks for your patience.

Dave

Will these etches be available to buy?

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Tony, I don't think I ever saw Pontypool Riverside although I understand perfectly what you mean. There are others - Grantham and Cwmafon spring to mind - that to me are exceptions that prove the rule.

You've also highlighted something with your "best crew" comment. It's not easy to have a "best crew" available for the full duration of an exhibition.

On Narrow Road, we used to operate with a crew of 6. One on the fiddle yard, one on the loco shed (the easiest and being out front was also the main point of contact for questions, one shunting the yard, which was continuous throughout the sequence, two drivers on the main line, for arrivals and departures and a "fat controller" coordinating everything. We went out with 8, so we had two spares. We didn't get much of a break operating like that but we used to enjoy it so much we didn't want breaks.

With the "top link" crew, it was lovely to call for the next move and knowing that everybody would be ready. On song, we could run 59 trains in and out in an hour, plus shunting and light engine moves. With a less competent crew, we were still pretty slick but the sequence took perhaps 75 minutes and you would ask for a loco off shed and it would still be going round on the turntable! So you might only have one train departing, the pilot following it up the platform and the yard shunter moving. The light engine off shed which could have happened at the same time ran a minute or two later. To run the sequence in an hour, every move had to be perfect and every possible multiple move had to happen. We did it a few times but we didn't want to turn it into a "pressure to perform" situation so we didn't stress out over it. It either happened or it didn't. 

Many people have little or no interest in the type of operating I like. I fully respect that and don't ever try to inflict my way of doing things onto anybody else. But operating a complex layout with good operators is as good as the hobby gets for me.   

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

On Narrow Road, we used to operate with a crew of 6. One on the fiddle yard, one on the loco shed (the easiest and being out front was also the main point of contact for questions, one shunting the yard, which was continuous throughout the sequence, two drivers on the main line, for arrivals and departures and a "fat controller" coordinating everything. We went out with 8, so we had two spares. We didn't get much of a break operating like that but we used to enjoy it so much we didn't want breaks.

With the "top link" crew, it was lovely to call for the next move and knowing that everybody would be ready. On song, we could run 59 trains in and out in an hour, plus shunting and light engine moves. With a less competent crew, we were still pretty slick but the sequence took perhaps 75 minutes and you would ask for a loco off shed and it would still be going round on the turntable! So you might only have one train departing, the pilot following it up the platform and the yard shunter moving. The light engine off shed which could have happened at the same time ran a minute or two later. To run the sequence in an hour, every move had to be perfect and every possible multiple move had to happen. We did it a few times but we didn't want to turn it into a "pressure to perform" situation so we didn't stress out over it. It either happened or it didn't. 

Many people have little or no interest in the type of operating I like. I fully respect that and don't ever try to inflict my way of doing things onto anybody else. But operating a complex layout with good operators is as good as the hobby gets for me.   

Lovely stuff Tony. That's the whole point of the Mid-Cornwall Lines too, although we do it at home rather than on the road. By the way, I could have included Castle Rackrent in my list but as far as I know it never went to a public exhibition in its full form.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jrg1 said:

Will these etches be available to buy?

Perhaps longer term they will. The etch shown is 1 of 3 and the first 2 are to be modified after I get better resolution drawings for the prototype bridge from the Midland Railway Study Centre. This will be after next February as they are in long term storage whilst refurbishment takes place. I also need to get Jamie Guest's permission as he did the original 2 etches for Tony and I am building the first iteration. I plan to build again (for my own layout) and record the method. If there is interest then futher templates etc. might have to be made and possibly more updates as it is a complex build. So, a big undertaking, but as a detailed OO brass bridge of UK prototype design (rather tha USA design) is not readily available, then it might be worthwhile.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Armchair Modeller said:

Lincolnshire Road Car route 24 from Stamford to Grantham appears to go past the station in the early 1960s. Sorry about the quality of the scan, but hopefully you can just about read it. 

LincRC-1.jpg.ce527c7949ebe9b1b9e531ff7f386f0a.jpg

That's brilliant, thank you.

I can now renumber the bus, alter the route number/destination and give it a tiny bit of weathering (some of which it got from the bin!). 

Seriously, it was a gift from a friend - a bus enthusiast.

It shows how all of us have a 'blind spot' with our modelling (I'm being defensive here). I'd never dream of putting an incorrectly-numbered or inappropriate loco on the layout (RTR at that, with no alterations - even worse!), yet I did the equivalent of that with the bus. Ignorance, I suppose.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I watched Narrow Road a few times, Tony,

And, you must have had the 'crack' crew in operation whenever I did, though do you remember the time, just to get Malcolm annoyed, I sneaked a Thompson A2/2 on to the shed when he wasn't looking? 

I've mentioned this before, but when WMRC originally took out Charwelton, we had the ironstone line in operation, but it was quickly abandoned. A pity I know, but the slow pace of the interchange of wagons between BR and the private line meant spectators walked off, because 'nothing was running' if they were standing by Catesby Tunnel or near the south end occupation bridge. 

Another factor was the guy needed to work the cassettes (full and empties). One extra body. A minimum of six was needed to operate the layout (four on, two off at any one time) - seven if you include the ironstone man, or eight with a spare. That's a very large number of people to accommodate over the course of a show (even with a trainset 35' x 14'). Many shows couldn't afford a layout like that. 

We accepted that there is a fundamental difference between operating at a show and operating just for pleasure as it were. I firmly believe that, in most cases, 'accurate' operation doesn't 'work' at an exhibition. Not if you wish to 'entertain' the majority.

The big factor, of course, is the type of show. Because I'm really a Philistine, I usually attend the 'general' shows as a demonstrator/loco doctor (though I have demonstrated at EM events and even P4 ones - the latter demonstrating photography). At the 'scale' shows, I find things are much more relaxed. Without barriers, there's often an 'intimacy' between layout operators and spectators. There seems to be more time to talk, often at the 'abandonment' of running. It doesn't matter. I'm surprised more 'general' modellers don't attend.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The point, I think, is that we should attempt to inform and educate at the same time as entertaining. The viewer will probably appreciate that even if they don't realise it at the time.

I like to be educated. In fact I expect to learn from layouts I see at shows, even if it's only a small thing, in order to develop and improve my own layout building/modelling efforts. If there is nothing to glean I tend not to linger, even if the running is entertaining.

Likewise, if there is no modelling beyond the railway boundary or the railway is not in an appropriate setting I don't hang around beyond checking the trains/stock. Oddly perhaps, operation isn't high on my priority list. I prefer the crafting aspects to the running/playing part of the hobby, although that is not to say I don't enjoy watching trains and having a dabble at operating.

I guess we all have subtly different reasons for spending time at a layout.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

806613115_newmaster6insplatscenica.png.34d4e7b01e788d06183a1d5ea3d195fa.png

Clive,

I love your layout plan. I think we've had the discussion about King's Cross before, so I hope we're not boring people, but your plan certainly captures the feel of the place, although the pointwork is a lot less interesting/ challenging than the 1950s plan. The ability to use your sidings as turn back locations is a great idea - are they scenic ('inside the fence') or just conventional fiddle yards?

I estimate that you have about 15 feet from buffer stops to 'Gasworks Tunnel', whereas the real thing would be 17 feet in 4mm, so you're not far short of the prototype - King's Cross was very cramped lengthways. The issue when modelling it is the required width which is about 10 feet from York Road to the tip of the milk dock, so some serious compromise would be necessary there. I see you've managed by just modelling the mainline part of the station which is a sensible step when you're lifting the track plan for another location but wouldn't really work for modelling King's Cross itself.

I'm with you when it comes to modelling 'outside the fence'. I do a bit just to provide a setting for the trains, but track laying, wiring and rolling stock are my main interests, so that's what I'd prefer to spend my time on. That, of course, is the benefit of a club layout as different people can bring different skills/ interests to bear.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I watched Narrow Road a few times, Tony,

And, you must have had the 'crack' crew in operation whenever I did, though do you remember the time, just to get Malcolm annoyed, I sneaked a Thompson A2/2 on to the shed when he wasn't looking? 

I've mentioned this before, but when WMRC originally took out Charwelton, we had the ironstone line in operation, but it was quickly abandoned. A pity I know, but the slow pace of the interchange of wagons between BR and the private line meant spectators walked off, because 'nothing was running' if they were standing by Catesby Tunnel or near the south end occupation bridge. 

Another factor was the guy needed to work the cassettes (full and empties). One extra body. A minimum of six was needed to operate the layout (four on, two off at any one time) - seven if you include the ironstone man, or eight with a spare. That's a very large number of people to accommodate over the course of a show (even with a trainset 35' x 14'). Many shows couldn't afford a layout like that. 

We accepted that there is a fundamental difference between operating at a show and operating just for pleasure as it were. I firmly believe that, in most cases, 'accurate' operation doesn't 'work' at an exhibition. Not if you wish to 'entertain' the majority.

The big factor, of course, is the type of show. Because I'm really a Philistine, I usually attend the 'general' shows as a demonstrator/loco doctor (though I have demonstrated at EM events and even P4 ones - the latter demonstrating photography). At the 'scale' shows, I find things are much more relaxed. Without barriers, there's often an 'intimacy' between layout operators and spectators. There seems to be more time to talk, often at the 'abandonment' of running. It doesn't matter. I'm surprised more 'general' modellers don't attend.

Regards,

Tony. 

I do remember the A2. Malcolm recovered eventually!

He could be a very good operator on shed as he knew the correct sequences for disposal, turning, coaling etc. The problem was that he just didn't know how to multitask, so if he got talking, which was often, his attention to what was happening on shed vanished. You could easily have taken off all the locos on shed and he wouldn't have noticed.

There were a couple of potential invitations to shows that fell through when 8 operators were mentioned but not many. We reckoned that we would fill the same space as 3 smaller layouts which might have 3 operators each. The problem became getting a crew together and advancing age. We lost Malcolm and George Morris and a couple of others got to the stage where it was hard work and too tiring. Which is why we don't exhibit it any more.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hamilton Rd Sheffield

1907483661_Hamiltonrdrma.png.bb2119d2a3a8440a2da050f68efaa189.png

Lloyd Street, Sheffield. they were posh as they had front doors.

1618233788_lloydstrm.png.0027df55dd05467c24d81d1cdebed328.png

I am not anti outside the fence modelling, most layouts benefit from having a setting. There are a few where it is more of a model village with a train running through than a model railway. I can appreciate the modelling but surely railway modelling is about the trains and what their surroundings are like.

Interesting re the front doors Clive. Where I grew up, the Duke of Bedford didn’t like to see women chatting at the front doors of his tied, terraced houses, so they didn’t have any front doors.  There were two backdoors instead.

Tim

Tim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Penny drop moment :blush:

My attendance tends to be at scale shows and their ilk. Much of the operation (within understandable parameters) I would describe as 'accurate' and everything tends to be pretty relaxed without barriers and much discussion going on. Often listening to the conversations is pretty interesting as well. I suspect this gives me a different reaction to layouts than I might have at a general show. The experience tends to be interactive rather than a simple spectator sport.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, queensquare said:

For those interested, I've attached the trackplan for my Bath layout. All the baseboards are built and about two-thirds is currently operational so very much a work in progress. Its scale length to the end of the goods yard/loco shed boards though I've had to reduce the width over the yards. The distance from there to the junction is considerably shortened and the climb up Bath bank is very compressed although most of the main features are there including crossing the GWR (15" or so ending in a mirror!) and the two private sidings. The twin, Devonshire and Combe Down tunnels are reduced to one followed by Tucking Mill viaduct, Twinhoe bridge then into the coal field and the S&D fiddle yard. 

I'm with Tony G when it comes to operation and I'm fortunate that Bath offers great operating potential - two goods yards, two sheds and two distinct routes dividing at Bath junction. With the exception of a few locals that started or terminated at Bath, the station essentially worked as a through station with trains heading north over the Midland  or south over the S&D reversing and changing locos at Bath so plenty to keep operators busy.

Jerry

1621363967_20191031_095457(3).jpg.6bad4938e79204f709338555659edea7.jpg

An epic, Jerry,

And a fascinating and entertaining talk you gave about it, too. Even if, on the odd occasion, we had to stand on our heads to see the pictures! 

I'd better be careful saying that, because I'm next to talk at Laurie's. I'd better make sure my pictures are the right way up.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

An epic, Jerry,

And a fascinating and entertaining talk you gave about it, too. Even if, on the odd occasion, we had to stand on our heads to see the pictures! 

I'd better be careful saying that, because I'm next to talk at Laurie's. I'd better make sure my pictures are the right way up.

Regards,

Tony. 

All of the pictures were the right way up when I put them on the stick - something happened to a few between there and the screen:mad: I'm afraid me and technology are not buddies!

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, queensquare said:

For those interested, I've attached the trackplan for my Bath layout. All the baseboards are built and about two-thirds is currently operational so very much a work in progress. Its scale length to the end of the goods yard/loco shed boards though I've had to reduce the width over the yards. The distance from there to the junction is considerably shortened and the climb up Bath bank is very compressed although most of the main features are there including crossing the GWR (15" or so ending in a mirror!) and the two private sidings. The twin, Devonshire and Combe Down tunnels are reduced to one followed by Tucking Mill viaduct, Twinhoe bridge then into the coal field and the S&D fiddle yard. 

I'm with Tony G when it comes to operation and I'm fortunate that Bath offers great operating potential - two goods yards, two sheds and two distinct routes dividing at Bath junction. With the exception of a few locals that started or terminated at Bath, the station essentially worked as a through station with trains heading north over the Midland  or south over the S&D reversing and changing locos at Bath so plenty to keep operators busy.

Jerry

1621363967_20191031_095457(3).jpg.6bad4938e79204f709338555659edea7.jpg

I haven't seen that before. Wow! Very impressive and ambitious. I hope I get to have a play some day!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the recent comments about layouts and operation. A wide spectrum, from which, I think, we can all learn. 

Clearly there's no layout (whatever scale/gauge) that suits everyone. For instance, my approach to operating a layout is totally different from Tony Gee's. In fact, I'm not sure whether I actually enjoy operating all that much. I rarely did on Stoke and Charwelton (doing what I do best - wind-bagging at the end of them!), and I never operate LB by myself. I much prefer building things rather than running them, though everything I make must work. Work hard, work smoothly, work quietly and not derail! 

I think that what we might all agree on is this. If a layout is well-built, looks realistic, follows prototype practice in all aspects (though not necessarily a model of an actual place) and runs well - the last-mentioned, most important - then it's worth looking at, even if the operation might not entirely be what we enjoy the most. The two P4 layouts shown recently in action on here prove that the finest 4mm gauge can work superbly, and, I hope, the recent rerun of LB proves that it works, in OO (even if the trains stop and start too quickly!). 

Poor running, I cannot tolerate (again, whatever the scale gauge). I've mentioned this before, but two years or so ago at Spalding two 4mm layouts were back-to-back. One was in P4, the other in OO. The former ran superbly (St. Merryn), the other (not named for obvious reasons) didn't.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

If I've been unfair, then that's my observation. 

What I find hard to reconcile (not just with Ambergate, which is wonderful in P4), is how folk can 'tolerate' such crude RTR carriages, even for testing. I've never used anything RTR to test trackwork on the layouts I've been involved with. The appropriate stock must be tested, along with the trackwork. 

I assume the carriages in question have just been re-gauged? If so, it rather proves that compensated bogies aren't absolutely necessary in the finest 4mm gauge. Looking again at the other carriages lying about the layout, they too seemed to be RTR. For testing purposes? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thinking about this I really don't see the issue with using a re-gauged RTR coach for testing.  What should come first, the stock or the track ? 

As a lone builder I wouldn't contemplate building the stock then the track so it could be tested that way. Part of the enjoyment for me is seeing what you've built, running on what you've laid.

As for compensated bogies, I'd say it's a testament to the track layers skill that they're maybe not required.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Am I unusual in being happy to just watch them run.

Complex running to timetables, not really interested, building and watching is more fun. This is where train sets win, start them up and watch them.

My under construction for 20 years garage layout will be converted to continuous run eventually so I can kick off a couple and watch them pass by.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1