Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

5 hours ago, uax6 said:

And also you need to be careful of the trapping of solvent in the layers. I drill a 0.45mm hole every 10mm or so, which allows the solvent to escape.

And if you are having warpage issues try a solvent like Lemonene, it solved my warpage problems (along with the holes)..

Andy G

(who doesn't always use odd numbers of laminations...)

Im Not so sure about Lemonene...... I tend to buy my solvents in litre ( or larger bottles) then decant it into smaller bottles for use in the modelling room.

Acetone, butanone, white spirit, meths, isopropyl etc are all stored in either 250 or 500ml bottles bought from a chemical supply company and correctly rated  for the job.

After 18 or so months the only bottle that has suffered ( significant ) distortion is the one storing limonene.

Im not sure what's going on........nothing I have built with it has (as yet) suffered but I'm not sure what the future might hold for them......

• Informative/Useful 4

I've looked up limonene, and I may be allergic to it.  Limonene is a hydrocarbon found in orange peel.  If I eat oranges or grapefruit, or drink their juices, I spend the next few hours upchucking.  Unsure exactly which chemicals I'm actually allergic to, but will be steering a wide berth away from limonene in the future.

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Industrial strength Limonene and the stuff sold for modellers are, I think, two different things, or at least very different in strength. A friend of mine had his entire stock of plastic sheet and section eaten by the industrial stuff which first ate the plastic lid off the top of his glass bottle. Many pounds worth of stock was just melted together.

I get mine from Wizard Models and have had no such problems and the fumes are actually quite pleasant, as long as you don't have an allergy!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have seen both Grantham and Shap at shows. Given my previous posts, there are no prizes for guessing which I prefer and watch longer. At one show, Wakefield, the fiddle yard was visible and I spent more time watching the fiddle yard on Grantham than I did some of the layouts!

It is nice to see some modelling returning to the thread. I recall Roy getting frustrated with that B16 because he kept finding faults that made him wish he had scratchbuilt it. It is a long time ago and I can't remember where the problems were.

I think he must have been frustrated Tony, because it's been put together, then taken apart (in some cases making a bit of a mess!), and now I'm putting it back together again. 

If there are several (fundamental) faults, then he was obviously more discerning than I am. It's starting to look like a rebuilt B16, and that's enough for me.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

It was a Laing (I think) Show House to encourage commuters out into the new estates being built in the suburbs.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

In response to the suburban villa picture, my family lived in the Stanley Buildings just off Pancras Road, between StP and KX, from about 1920 to 1953, so very familiar with the local territory.  I was told about this house but don't recall seeing it first hand.  I was told it was built as a Show House by one of the major housing development/building firms.  Dates are a bit hazy, and it might have dated from Empire Exhibition times up to the 1930s when housing development surged.

Edited by Engineer
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

According to the series of photographs inVol 1 of Peter Coster's "GN Main Line Engineering Commentary" (I've abbreviated the title) it was certainly in place in 1936 and yes, it was Laing's.    I think Mr Coster's two volumes are excellent although, if I recall, they came in for a bit of criticism when published.  They are by far the best books on GN architecture that I've come across (come to think of it they are the only ones I've come across!) and extremely nostalgic reading for me especially Vol 1.    I can still remember the smell of cresote on the floor boards of the Oakleigh Park footbridge at the north end of the platforms as we lay on the floor to see what was emerging from Southgate tunnel.

Do you recognise your former colleague Brian PolyBear?

Alan B

Bridge.JPG

Edited by PupCam
Added photo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PupCam said:

I think Mr Coster's two volumes are excellent although, if I recall, they came in for a bit of criticism when published.

Whilst they are very good books they do contain many silly mistakes.  The GNR society has a list of corrections.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Was there really a 30s detached suburban villa on the forecourt at Kings Cross?  What was it doing there?  I'd heard of the 'African Village' before but this is really unexpected. 

house.JPG.45b1f21f06dbcd45bb1907cc29e255d1.JPG

Handy for the trains I suppose...

I think it's built from Bayko.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PupCam said:

Do you recognise your former colleague Brian PolyBear?

Alan B

Bridge.JPG

Blimey Alan, you've finally found time to be posting on RMWeb ;)  What's the matter - too cold to be out on the AJ?:D  Next you'll be telling me that the Pup is finished.....

And is that you peeing thru' the footbridge railings I see.....

(For the uninitiated, I had the pleasure of working  being employed at the same firm as P.C. [hardly!] for more years than I care to count, until Alan decided to bang out earlier this year - a move that could be decidedly career limiting....)

So I've decided to do the same. Bang out early, that is, not pee thru' the railings.  Though it does look kinda fun....

Brian 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Whilst they are very good books they do contain many silly mistakes.  The GNR society has a list of corrections.

Yes, as an ex GNRS member I was aware of the corrections.   Despite the errors I still think that they are excellent books and seem to remember that some of the comments made at the time seemed rather churlish but there we are (no I don't know or have any connections to Mr Coster I just like his two books .....)

2 hours ago, polybear said:

And is that you peeing thru' the footbridge railings I see.....

But of course not, that's the sort of behaviour one would only expect from a bear (Poly or otherwise :D) - I was too engrossed in the approaching Deltic, Brush 2 or Brush 4 (Class 31 /47? What's that all about ...) or whatever else was coming.

No time for railway modelling yet, it's all go being retired you know, but inline with Tony's general ethos of making things for yourself I set to on the EMCO Unimat with some chunks of aluminium and started making a 1/8 scale model of an AJS350 engine just for fun.   So that's delayed the BSA build, the 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane, the 1/4 scale Pup and as for "Clayton East", well I probably haven't seen that for 15 years.   I did come across its fully interlocked lever frame the loft recently though so all is not lost.

1 hour ago, grahame said:

Yep, here it is under construction:

opening-the-bayko-set-after-many-years-october-2015-7.jpg.b3f7c4ffda3489a488ad1b98dd852cd4.jpg

Crikey I haven't seen Bako for years.  Last reference I saw to it was, I think, in a '60s Gamage's catalogue!

Timing Side 1 Small.jpg

Edited by PupCam
Reduced the size of the photograph
  • Like 3

There were some interesting construction sets back in the 60's etc. Bayco, Tri-ang Arkitex, etc (not forgetting Meccano !!). Then we had the card stuff, Bilteezi, Superquick etc.

380px-Ultra-Modern_Station_Construction_

IMG_2544_1024x1024.JPG?v=1425951202

And what about this !!   ---  See what I've built Daddy !!!!!!

image.png.0d98ee4195dc25f77bf2af4239fcc36f.png

I remember one building kit advertised in the 1950's model railway mags which used some sort of cement based mix & brick moulds etc - can't remember the name. All interesting stuff back then when us snotty nosed young un's made things (after a fashion) and didn't press buttons and swiped screens !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 7

I did have some Beyko but insufficient to complete even a simple house - we were from a very poor family.

I also had some of the cheaper plastic building blocks; a kind of cheaper British Lego (but better in my opinion) called Betta Bilda by Airfix (introduced 1960/61). Details here: https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:Betta_Bilda

1757749_1_l.jpg.bba6f1393134f7aeef880109a67f8d46.jpg

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

On my workbench this week has been a set of Ratio Midland clerestory coach sides which I'm in the process of painting and lining:

I decided to keep them on the sprue for handling, although this did make it a bit tricky to get the ruler flat in places. The top two sets have had most of the yellow lining done, using a bow-pen, while the lower set has also had the middle lines drawn in black using a Rotring pen. as well as a bow-pen and brush for the larger areas of black. There is still a little tidying up to be done but I think they'll be acceptable as layout coaches.

Al

Oh oh. That reminds me. I still have a set of 6 Alan Gibson etched Midland sides I need to get around to. . . .

Tim

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hitchin Junction said:

Oh oh. That reminds me. I still have a set of 6 Alan Gibson etched Midland sides I need to get around to. . . .

Tim

I bought these about 10 years ago with the intention of painting them in S&D livery, but I thought better of it since.

• Like 1

Having spent a splendid weekend at the Spalding Show, Mo and I made nearly £70.00 for CRUK, by way of loco-doctoring and donations.

I had both successes and failures. Success in getting a 65 year old Zenith motor to go again in a scratch-built N2, only to have it then conk out with a coil gone. The owner is going to pop around and I'll install a modern motor/gearbox in it, so nice is the loco; bought originally from W&H for £12.00! Another success was getting a scratch-built L1 from the same source going again. 

I also fixed a non-going SE Finecast W1 (a loose wire) and some Roco German thingy! I had to (sadly) explain that there was nothing I could do about the mangled motion on (yet another) split chassis abomination where the drivers had turned on their axles. 'It's hardly ever been used in the last 25 years' said the despondent owner. 'It makes no difference' I replied. A DCC N Gauge diesel-outline loco also was presented. 'It doesn't go' I was told. I agreed! 

All good fun, and thanks to all with whom I spoke and to those who donated so generously. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3