Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

22 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Having spent a splendid weekend at the Spalding Show, Mo and I made nearly £70.00 for CRUK, by way of loco-doctoring and donations.

I had both successes and failures. Success in getting a 65 year old Zenith motor to go again in a scratch-built N2, only to have it then conk out with a coil gone. The owner is going to pop around and I'll install a modern motor/gearbox in it, so nice is the loco; bought originally from W&H for £12.00! Another success was getting a scratch-built L1 from the same source going again. 

I also fixed a non-going SE Finecast W1 (a loose wire) and some Roco German thingy! I had to (sadly) explain that there was nothing I could do about the mangled motion on (yet another) split chassis abomination where the drivers had turned on their axles. 'It's hardly ever been used in the last 25 years' said the despondent owner. 'It makes no difference' I replied. A DCC N Gauge diesel-outline loco also was presented. 'It doesn't go' I was told. I agreed! 

All good fun, and thanks to all with whom I spoke and to those who donated so generously. 

£12.00 in 1954 is now £319.20 ouch !!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, micklner said:

Info from here

http://inflation.iamkate.com/

Scary how little the £ is actually worth nowdays.

If you plot that table on a graph you will find that about 95% of all inflation has taken place in the about the last 40 years......... such is the power of compound percentages.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not far off but I reckon it's more like the last 50 years, since the economic crises of the mid 60s.

It only really got going in the mid 1970s with annual rates of more than 25% at some stages.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It only really got going in the mid 1970s with annual rates of more than 25% at some stages.

In the historic record list on that link, inflation appears to take off from the end of WW2 with a peak of 24.2% in 1975. However that was topped by 25.2% in 1917 and 36.5% in 1800. Thank goodness we don't appear to have suffered from hyper-inflation.

Edited by grahame
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I suppose all prices are relative, and near £320.00 for a scratch-built N2 seems exceptional value to me at today's prices. Granted, it would have all nickel silver-tyred drivers and a modern can motor/gearbox combination, brakes and all the detail required of the RTR model equivalents of today. The paint job on the old model in question was of a high order (fully-lined LNER black), so, for the sake of argument - what a great phrase - if I were to scratch-build an equivalent today, with a Rathbone/Haynes-standard paint finish, the price would be well in excess of three times £300.00+!

But why would I, or why would anyone ask me to.................... scratch-build an N2 in OO today?

1094016687_N213.jpg.bdb67abe48d2f5ade353858d3fa5c88e.jpg

Airfix body, detailed, renumbered and slightly weathered, with its old (and awful) original chassis chucked away, Comet frames, Markits wheels and a DJH motor/gearbox combination. I admit, it does need a new smokebox dart.

1845472908_N212.jpg.6cfa6016ae762f52a3bb7cb4d9dc909e.jpg

And who'd contemplate scratch-building a B1 as well today as well? Modified/detailed/renumbered/weathered Hornby B1 alongside.

The current Hornby N2 does not need a replacement chassis now. 

• Like 12

A bit more progress on my GN box. Just 2 big windows to do, one of which will be semi-open. I've then got to put in the two windows in the eaves and the two for the weights room at the bottom. Then it'll be down to building the steps and toilet, adding walking boards and handrails, fire buckets board and buckets. It really has been a case of trying to improve a sow's ear and whilst it's no silk purse, it's getting to the plastic purse standard. I must admit that before I assembled the warped and twisted sides, it was a toss up whether I chucked it away and started again but , on reflection, I thought that it's better to proceed and see what lessons need learning.

IMG_4176_rdcd.jpg.18241cfaed442d49336923119ba87aaa.jpg

On another topic, I'm closing in on deciding a name for my layout. When I was little, my brother took me to a place near home called Hempshill. (pronounced sh, not hemps hill). It was just east of Nuthall sidings (we lived at Nuthall) where we watched the trains go by - pretty well every day. Although the terrain on my layout doesn't quite correspond, (the cutting was less deep at Hempshill) and of course there wasn't a station there, it fits many of the other things on my list. I do regret now not doing an actual place but as I originally intended to do Kimberley (but I got beaten to it by Ilkeston MRS), I figured it was best to do a bit of an amalgam of two or three or stations on the line. So there are elements of West Hallam and Kimberley in the layout so far and the signal box is based on Breadsall. 

Finally, couple of people I know are struggling with their mental health. It's been making me realise more and more that we're all so lucky to have a hobby like this.

Best wishes 

Clem

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, grahame said:

In the historic record list on that link, inflation appears to take off from the end of WW2 with a peak of 24.2% in 1975. However that was topped by 25.2% in 1917 and 36.5% in 1800. Thank goodness we don't appear to have suffered from hyper-inflation.

Interesting. I definitely recall inflation being higher than credit card interest rates, which led to a short-lived credit boom. Perhaps that was measured against a different index.

My reference to the 70s was of course in the context of The Johnster's comment regarding the last 50 years.

1800 and 1917 were in wartime, which probably had something to do with it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Clem said:

A bit more progress on my GN box. Just 2 big windows to do, one of which will be semi-open. I've then got to put in the two windows in the eaves and the two for the weights room at the bottom. Then it'll be down to building the steps and toilet, adding walking boards and handrails, fire buckets board and buckets. It really has been a case of trying to improve a sow's ear and whilst it's no silk purse, it's getting to the plastic purse standard. I must admit that before I assembled the warped and twisted sides, it was a toss up whether I chucked it away and started again but , on reflection, I thought that it's better to proceed and see what lessons need learning.

IMG_4176_rdcd.jpg.18241cfaed442d49336923119ba87aaa.jpg

On another topic, I'm closing in on deciding a name for my layout. When I was little, my brother took me to a place near home called Hempshill. (pronounced sh, not hemps hill). It was just east of Nuthall sidings (we lived at Nuthall) where we watched the trains go by - pretty well every day. Although the terrain on my layout doesn't quite correspond, (the cutting was less deep at Hempshill) and of course there wasn't a station there, it fits many of the other things on my list. I do regret now not doing an actual place but as I originally intended to do Kimberley (but I got beaten to it by Ilkeston MRS), I figured it was best to do a bit of an amalgam of two or three or stations on the line. So there are elements of West Hallam and Kimberley in the layout so far and the signal box is based on Breadsall. 

Finally, couple of people I know are struggling with their mental health. It's been making me realise more and more that we're all so lucky to have a hobby like this.

Best wishes 

Clem

Clem, if it's not quite Hempshill, how about Hempshall?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I suppose all prices are relative, and near £320.00 for a scratch-built N2 seems exceptional value to me at today's prices. Granted, it would have all nickel silver-tyred drivers and a modern can motor/gearbox combination, brakes and all the detail required of the RTR model equivalents of today. The paint job on the old model in question was of a high order (fully-lined LNER black), so, for the sake of argument - what a great phrase - if I were to scratch-build an equivalent today, with a Rathbone/Haynes-standard paint finish, the price would be well in excess of three times £300.00+!

But why would I, or why would anyone ask me to.................... scratch-build an N2 in OO today?

1094016687_N213.jpg.bdb67abe48d2f5ade353858d3fa5c88e.jpg

Airfix body, detailed, renumbered and slightly weathered, with its old (and awful) original chassis chucked away, Comet frames, Markits wheels and a DJH motor/gearbox combination. I admit, it does need a new smokebox dart.

1845472908_N212.jpg.6cfa6016ae762f52a3bb7cb4d9dc909e.jpg

And who'd contemplate scratch-building a B1 as well today as well? Modified/detailed/renumbered/weathered Hornby B1 alongside.

The current Hornby N2 does not need a replacement chassis now. 

Hello Tony

It is a good question, why would anyone want to scratch build a loco these days? Because they might enjoy making it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

28 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Interesting. I definitely recall inflation being higher than credit card interest rates, which led to a short-lived credit boom. Perhaps that was measured against a different index.

Inflation rates and credit card interest rates are, of course, very different. One is commercially set and the other is the result of economic conditions and government behaviour/policy. It is probably easier to avoid CC interest by not borrowing money that way, although with high inflation you might not be able to afford necessary goods so are forced to borrow. 

Mortgage rates are also commercially set (allegedly based on BofE rates) which I recall the highest I ever paid being 15%. The comparative current very low mortgage rates helps make the very high house prices a little more affordable. Beer was 25p a pint in 1975, now it's touching £5, more than twice the compounded inflation rate figure for that period. But I guess it's all relative and not a great deal to do with model trains.

• Agree 1

Dave there has been a few other things happen since 2015... in fact there was a D17 which I had for 8 years that has just about got finished this year.., only some painting to complete. I always seem to have more than one thing on the go at any one time. Currently the list includes a Dave Bradwell J39 that I have had for a month and a bit, a Neilson mineral tank that I have had on the go for about 6 months! IMG_0740.JPG.76a5dc8645ad497a893aad19b45f9066.JPG

this has been a bit of a challange due to being commenced by another modeller who can no longer model. It was mostly well built but didn't have running clearances to any of the bearings or a motor and gearbox. So once these were sorted it runs quite nicely now. How ever I felt it was time for the V2 to take some time on the work bench! 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, DougN said:

I always seem to have more than one thing on the go at any one time.

Just a few?  I've let things run away and now have too many on the go, Some of the GN American Pullman cars with all the casting that goes with those,  as well as 2 GN E1 2-4-0's.   At least the E1's have reached the painting stage, but they've joined 4 other locos that need painting as well!

Good to see the V2 going together, looks good so far and you've got further than the previous owner :good_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

IBut why would I, or why would anyone ask me to.................... scratch-build an N2 in OO today?

Hum. The B1 has nice crisp front frames above footplate level but was the Great Northern really in the habit of rounding the top of the frames to a D-profile where they protrude above footplate level? I can see it could be a H&S feature, avoiding grazed shins when clambering about opening the smokebox door... Also, lifting holes?

55 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Hum. The B1 has nice crisp front frames above footplate level but was the Great Northern really in the habit of rounding the top of the frames to a D-profile where they protrude above footplate level? I can see it could be a H&S feature, avoiding grazed shins when clambering about opening the smokebox door... Also, lifting holes?

Forgive me, but I'm not quite sure what you're on about.

For a start, the B1 (the originals built at Darlington) had more of the NER in them than the GN, and the frames' profiles seem to match the drawings and photos I've consulted.

Lifting holes? Yes, they're there.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

It is a good question, why would anyone want to scratch build a loco these days? Because they might enjoy making it.

An excellent answer, Clive,

I first scratch-built locos out of necessity - Thompson's Pacifics, a D49, K1, K4, O1 and so on, only to have better examples produced by the kit-makers. Which, in the main, I built, then sold on the 'inferior' scratch-built examples. There it stopped, and I've never taken the step of replacing my kit-built locos with RTR equivalents. 

All the various builds have been enjoyable. Much more, for instance, than the enjoyment derived from acquisition, by whatever means.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

For a start, the B1 (the originals built at Darlington) had more of the NER in them than the GN, and the frames' profiles seem to match the drawings and photos I've consulted.

Regards,

Tony. 

Sorry, I was intending to compare the front frames of the old Airfix N2, which have the defects I mentioned, with the rather better front frames of the Hornby B1.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Clem, if it's not quite Hempshill, how about Hempshall?

Lots of synonyms come to mind...

Potshill (sh rather than Pots Hill)

Dopeshill...

etc etc.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Afternoon Tony,

I wouldn't say that the B1 had more NER than GNR in their make up. The boiler, valve gear, cylinders, frames, and the coupled wheels can definitely be traced back to the GN. The tender, the cab and the straight running board are probably the most prominent features derived from the NER. The bogie, mayby NE, or was it based on the B17 with a touch of LMS ?