Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Phil,

apologies for the late reply, the situation is rather complicated but one of the things that makes your modelling period so much more interesting. Model Masters do full sets of different size British Railways and the numbers, with the curly six, in cream, white and Yellow.

On plain black locomotives 12'' is defiantly yellow and with a combination of sizes of lettering, ie 6'' British Railways and 12'' numbers it would be yellow. 12'' was the LNER standard for Gill sans numbers and lettering. The 10'' straight six in white/cream was introduced around August Sept 1948 by most works. As a result, locomotives turned out in MT lined black in July 1948 were painted cream as per the BR spec but with 12'' numbers and letters with the curly six/nine. I have only seen the white/cream12'' curly six in this condition.

Plain black locomotives also received the straight six and white/cream lettering from August, Sept 1948, in 10'' lettering or smaller. Here's the complicated bit, it is possible that a plain black locomotive may have received 10'' white/cream lettering or smaller with the curly six, if so, the size would be consistent between numbers and letters. I have yet to find a plain black loco in this condition. I say it is possible because Green locomotives did receive the White/ cream lettering with the curly six in 10'' or smaller. The B1's, mostly delivered from outside contractors at this time, seem to have been uniformly yellow. The A3's also had curly six and straight six numbers whilst in LNER/British Railways green, I haven't done enough research into them to see if there was a difference in colour associated with the straight six and curly six. The only colour photo that I have of an A3, is of an example with a curly six that is yellow.

The photo below demonstrates the complexity of the situation. The B12 is in green with white cream lettering with curly six. The British Railways tender lettering in the background is in 12'' chrome yellow originally used by the LNER.

61502.jpg

61502 is one of the Scottish B12s that retained their Belpaire boilers long after most had been rebuilt with round topped and I believe at this time was shedded at Keith. Would this have affected the way it was numbered and lettered?

Martyn

2 hours ago, Chamby said:

Many thanks, Andrew.  You don’t see many colour photographs of former LNER loco’s wearing BR green livery applied before the totem was introduced...  most photos were still in B&W around this time.

Part of the attraction of Modelling (medelling?) in this era is the myriad of different livery and numbering combinations being worn alongside each other.  Though it does make the portrayal of individual locomotives with absolute prototypical accuracy a nightmare, especially given that for many loco’s, their liveries were quite transient.

Evening Phil,

Many of the liveries of the period lasted quite a long time. My Woodford allocated K3 1870, gained that number in 12'' yellow Gill sans and LNER on the tender in March 1946. It was still pottering around as such until called into works in June 1949.

I've never seen longevity as the most important criteria in my modelling, a single day but a typical day has always been good enough for me. Many a locomotive designed or built for the LNER spent most of their time in other liveries anyway. The great thing about the transience of your modelling period, is that you can so much more easily pin down a moment in time. Like the best documentary photography, a moment in time has great appeal. The 1950's in comparison, at least in model form, tends to blend together into one amorphous lump, even though it didn't in reality. Much of my modelling, both of locomotives and stock, is about sitting by the lineside and re-creating, with as much accuracy as possible that moment in time. What would have passed buy my location, what would I have seen in my chosen time period. The late 1940's on the GC is almost unrivalled in the steam era, for its capacity to surprise in terms of livery variations.

P.S. If You think that 1940's loco liveries are confusing, wait until you get on to the options ex PO mineral wagons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mullie said:

61502 is one of the Scottish B12s that retained their Belpaire boilers long after most had been rebuilt with round topped and I believe at this time was shedded at Keith. Would this have affected the way it was numbered and lettered?

Martyn

Evening Mullie,

there is probably something to that, 61180 was turned out by Cowlairs in a similar style in April 1948. The livery is the MT lined black prior to the introduction of the straight six in August/Sept of the same year. Of note is the closley spaced cabside number that matches the tender lettering, same style as that on the B12.

LNER-B1-Class-4-6-0-No-61180-Haymarket.jpg

Edited by Headstock
Add space
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

They had on sale a demonstration Nikon 60mm Micro lens for the fantastic price of under £400.00! Current new prices are well over £500.00. I've used my old Nikon Micro lens for many years, but it's not compatible in every way with modern digital LSRs. So, I bought this new one, and I've tried some experiments with it attached to the front of the D3. 

By fiddling (don't ask me how!), I've managed to get the minimum aperture down to smaller than F50! Which means that at a foot's distance to take a shot like this, everything is in sharp focus. It's my ancient Nu-Cast B16/3, out because I'm completing the same type started by Roy Jackson. Yes, I know one should never make a model of a model, but after nearly 40 years it's a reasonable reminder of how the bits fit. 

Believe it or not, this is  an N Gauge van, by Sonic Models. The lens was an inch from the subject matter! There is absolutely no chromatic aberration, nor any distortion whatsoever. What a lens! The problem is, of course, that any specks of dust look like small (or large) stones! 

I've tried a layout shot, and the results are reasonable - with room for more experimentation. B&W, in many ways, is more redolent of the time. 

By getting in close and not exploiting the minimum aperture, the principal subject matter is sharp whilst background detail is nicely understated. 

I know some readers are going to be aghast at my spending nearly £400.00 on just a lens, but it is part of my professional equipment, and, on first experience, worth every penny! 

I've got a Nikon 105mm micro VR lens which I seem to recall cost more than £400 so I'm not aghast. But I very rarely use it, much preferring the Nikon 40mm micro VR which is a lot smaller and a lot lighter, and IMO gives sharper pics. And it was very cheap comparatively.

I didn't know Nikon made a 40mm Micro lens, so thanks Grahame.

Apart from a brief spell with a Pentax 35mm system (after booting a Praktica away after it failed to expose two whole films properly!), I've always used Nikon Fs and Nikon lenses, with complete satisfaction in my use-of-film days. I did have a Pentax 6X7 system as well  (the finest film camera for railway photography in my opinion), but that, like all the film stuff has long gone.

Now, with a Nikon D3 and Df, plus all-Nikon lenses (never anything else), I have all I need for all of my photography. The D3 is getting on, but at around five grand for a D5 (its current manifestation), then it'll be in use for many years to come.

I've said before, I cannot get on with weeny cameras (though others do), and, despite Andy York explaining stacking to me, I get my depth of field optically. 

Model railway photography is probably a hobby in its own right, and there are excellent examples on RMweb.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I didn't know Nikon made a 40mm Micro lens, so thanks Grahame.

Regards,

Tony. 

The 40mm is a DX micro lens as against FX so it is pretty close to the 60mm Micro. 

I have the 60mm and 105mm Micro lens and like them both and they give good results  D850 user here.

The price of the 60mm is quite sensible compared to some of the F2.8 zooms!

Regards,

Craig w

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Craigw said:

The 40mm is a DX micro lens as against FX so it is pretty close to the 60mm Micro. 

I have the 60mm and 105mm Micro lens and like them both and they give good results  D850 user here.

The price of the 60mm is quite sensible compared to some of the F2.8 zooms!

Regards,

Craig w

Thanks Craig,

I really don't have much of an idea what the 'DX' and 'FX' descriptions mean, but there must be an obvious difference. 

I know both the Nikon digital bodies I have were (at the time) the 'pro'-spec for the company, both giving full-frame capability. Strangely, the Df didn't prove as popular as anticipated (the digital equivalent of the legendary F), but I love mine. It has all the controls on the outside of the body - all dials and so on. All worked by digits!

89683101_NikonDfandF.jpg.a6f53078df7bea4bb6f04a0491173c36.jpg

'Ancient' (on the right) and 'modern' (on the left). Both are naturally 'used' (and abused), and both are all-black - the only colour for 'pro' cameras. The old 'F' (the camera type which went to Vietnam, where the photographer was blown up and the next guy just picked it up and carried on taking pictures. One actually saved the picture-taker's life by deflecting a bullet!) has the new lens attached. 

I've no wish to turn this into a thread about photography (but, gosh, it does go off in all directions), though I hope this topic is of some little interest. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Craig,

I really don't have much of an idea what the 'DX' and 'FX' descriptions mean, but there must be an obvious difference. Regards,

Tony. 

If memory serves it relates to the sensor size, ‘D’ being the smaller digital sensor the earlier types of digital cameras had, and ‘F’ relating to a 35mm neg sized sensor. When I changed from film to digital I was looking at both Nikon and Canon, I found the right spec Canon body first hence went that route rather than Nikon.

Edited by PMP
Unpredictable text
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Craig,

I really don't have much of an idea what the 'DX' and 'FX' descriptions mean, but there must be an obvious difference. 

I know both the Nikon digital bodies I have were (at the time) the 'pro'-spec for the company, both giving full-frame capability. Strangely, the Df didn't prove as popular as anticipated (the digital equivalent of the legendary F), but I love mine. It has all the controls on the outside of the body - all dials and so on. All worked by digits!

'Ancient' (on the right) and 'modern' (on the left). Both are naturally 'used' (and abused), and both are all-black - the only colour for 'pro' cameras. The old 'F' (the camera type which went to Vietnam, where the photographer was blown up and the next guy just picked it up and carried on taking pictures. One actually saved the picture-taker's life by deflecting a bullet!) has the new lens attached. 

I've no wish to turn this into a thread about photography (but, gosh, it does go off in all directions), though I hope this topic is of some little interest. 

Regards,

Tony. 

The Df was Nikons foray into digital cameras but with a smaller body rekindling the look of the F film camera but with a full frame digital sensor. A very good camera it is too. I had a whole raft of the original Pro Olympus lenses so decided to stay with their retro offerings of the OM range.

Regards

Peter

Back to some modelling for me. Here's some N/2mm hand brake wheels attached to wire ready to be added to a 3D printed diesel brake tender. They are fairly small - that's a 5p piece they are sitting on:

DSC_8419.JPG.d9201b199d9bc9f07f6647616ef654d9.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

....Now I just use my phone, and hate myself a little bit more each time.

There’s nothing wrong with using a ‘phone for everyday photography, if you have an eye for a good angle and composition, you still have that whatever camera you use.  But ‘phones do very quickly lose their resolution when you digitally zoom in on the subject.

You still need ‘proper kit’ if you are taking high-res studio shots or your work is to be published.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Craig,

Regards,

Tony. 

FX cameras have a full-frame sensor, same size as a 35mm film neg. DX models (including the D3 and all other early Nikon digital SLRS) have a smaller one. Not necessarily with fewer megapixels, though.

First Nikon with a full-frame sensor was (IIRC) the D800 and cameras so equipped (the Df excepted) nowadays* have 3-digit model numbers.

*There was a D300 in the past which had the smaller DX sensor, but that predated the full-frame range.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

If I had the money I would go Nikon full frame DSLR.

My current kit is old 1960s Miranda and Tamron, prime lenses, and a light leaking camera body.

So no ties to old kit.

I do like Nikon lenses and Sony image sensors.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Here is a photo of Don McCullin's Nikon F which saved his life. I saw this camera many years ago at the Museum of Photography Film and TV in Bradford. I believe it is now in the Imperial War Museum in Manchester. Don was later badly injured by a shell and continued to take photos on his way to hospital.                           

Don McCullin - Nikon F

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

I see from the December Railway Modeller that Little Bytham is to feature in the January 2020 edition. By pure coincidence my article on my previous layout Fairhaven Road is also to appear in the same issue. Thank you for the photos which you took and allowed me to send to them along with mine. I hope they credit you, as I asked Steve to do. 

Archie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

FX cameras have a full-frame sensor, same size as a 35mm film neg. DX models (including the D3 and all other early Nikon digital SLRS) have a smaller one. Not necessarily with fewer megapixels, though.

First Nikon with a full-frame sensor was (IIRC) the D800 and cameras so equipped (the Df excepted) nowadays* have 3-digit model numbers.

*There was a D300 in the past which had the smaller DX sensor, but that predated the full-frame range.

John

I think you’ll find that the D3 has a full-frame sensor, not the smaller DX sized sensor.  It was the first full-frame digital SLR offered by Nikon.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 4630 said:

I think you’ll find that the D3 has a full-frame sensor, not the smaller DX sized sensor.  It was the first full-frame digital SLR offered by Nikon.

Thanks, I'd been under the impression that the D3 was merely the successor to the D2.

It does explain why used D2 bodies can currently be had for under £200 whilst a D3 can still command about five times that.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Thanks, I'd been under the impression that the D3 was merely the successor to the D2.

It does explain why used D2 bodies can currently be had for under £200 whilst a D3 can still command about five times that.

John

It’s not always been easy to follow Nikon’s numbering policy for its DSLR cameras.

As you say, the numbering convention for its ‘professional line’ of cameras, using single digits, kind of implies that the sensor size of the D3 would follow on  from the D2 variants. 

Especially as their second full frame DSLR was the D700, but then later had the full-frame D600 and D650 slotted in below in the range.  The much later D500 is though a DX sensor.

All capable, solid cameras that were better than their predecessors, although the D600 had some significant quality control issues IIRC. 

I did a road trip with my wife in 2015 (8000km in three weeks) and on the way back passed through Narromine to discover trials for an airshow the next day.  My wife was very happy to stop and watch. I was watching and taking photos when this Avenger appeared and I was in love. Sounded fantastic and looked, well, you can see. Taken with Nikon D750 and 70-200 VR F2.8

Regards,

Craig Warton

Avenger.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1