Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

5 hours ago, micklner said:

Mallard has from memory, a Garter Blue cab, as is the Tender front . Never heard of any LNER Loco with white Cab roof .There are plenty of photos at the NRM A4 gathering on here and elsewhere.

The Claud Hamilton that was Stratford's royal train engine had a white roof. I'm sure I've seen a colour pic of it in Backtrack or some such over the years.

23 minutes ago, Arun Sharma said:

The Claud Hamilton that was Stratford's royal train engine had a white roof. I'm sure I've seen a colour pic of it in Backtrack or some such over the years.

I have read it as and the post above yours as well, as the OP is refering to the cab interior. Cheers.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

rOY,

It was for the wedding of F Katharine Lucy Mary Worsley; to Prince Edward,  Duke of Kent  @ York Minster on 8th June 1961.

There is a photograph in" Top Shed" by Peter Townend it could be that 60003 was the reserve engine or transported guests to the wedding.

Regards,Derek

2 hours ago, ROY@34F said:

Thanks for that Derek . I'm sure you're spot on there .

Roy.

Photo of  the train here at Kings Cross - 60028 with what looks like a white cab roof.  (Click the link below for larger version etc.)  The full text in this feature lists the other engines used on the various specials and the stand-by train. Includes a mention of 60003 on one of the other specials - hope this helps. I am fairly sure I recall reading that some worked on to Hovingham with the reception guests and have seen pictures in books on the railways of Ryedale. Sadly cannot remember which ones.

Edit: Thinking about this a bit more I may be merging memories of seeing the photos of A4s on the school specials run for Ampleforth Coillege with this run for this royal event. 

Edited by john new
Extra info added.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

The inspiration of this thread is contagious. A few years back I considered building a Comet chassis replacement for a Hornby/Mainline Dean Goods. Oxford then announced one and my enthusiasm withered. However the performance of the Oxford model is lacking so the project was reconsidered. 

Having built the tender chassis, I got the brake rigging too far off the wheels, and made a coal space my attention has now shifted to the loco chassis. Herein lies a question, should the top hat bearings be inserted from the outside or inside of the frames?

Rodger

IMG_0760.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, great central said:

Presuming that's Lincoln loco shed it's remarkable to think it still exists although much altered.

The loco shed was rebuilt in the ate fifties and closed in 1964.  It was derelict for many years, and then was re-purposed as a venue and concert hall for Lincoln University.  Apparently, the original brief was to retain the rail lines and pits, glassed over, but this was not pursued.  The old Great Central Warehouse was also re-purposed as the University library-both well worth a look inside with much original detail retained.  

Holmes Yard 6.jpg

Great Central Warehouse 2009.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would like to thank Tony and Mo for their hospitality at the Portsmouth exhibition, it was our yearly catch up and most enlightening it was as well.  Also "Sir" solved a N gauge loco problem or two for someone, taught me how to not mix up solders and generally pointed me in the right direction on other matters of life:rolleyes:.

Regards

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kingmender said:

The inspiration of this thread is contagious. A few years back I considered building a Comet chassis replacement for a Hornby/Mainline Dean Goods. Oxford then announced one and my enthusiasm withered. However the performance of the Oxford model is lacking so the project was reconsidered. 

Having built the tender chassis, I got the brake rigging too far off the wheels, and made a coal space my attention has now shifted to the loco chassis. Herein lies a question, should the top hat bearings be inserted from the outside or inside of the frames?

Rodger

IMG_0760.JPG

13 minutes ago, gr.king said:

In the loco frames? Are you sure?

I was thinking it was a set of tender frames in the photo and so put pin point bearings in from the inside and solder from the outside as that would locate them for the ends of the axles. If he meant a loco chassis and bearings for the drivers that is a totally different kettle of fish. It is interesting how different people interpret the same thing in different ways. It how the minds work. Mine has normally been discribed as somewhere out in left field. 

Richard

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, kingmender said:

Rodger

IMG_0760.JPG

It depends on several factors, the width over the frames, the thickness of the top hat bush and how much sideplay you need. Top outwards is easiest if that meets the other criteria but I fit them top inwards if they have to be filed down to get enough clearance for the wheels. No technical reason either way, just quicker to file where the bushes are thinner.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, kingmender said:

Rodger

IMG_0760.JPG

I always solder the main chassis bearings in from the outside.

If it's of interest. Comet specify the 1015 Mashima for the Dean Goods but there's ample room for the 1024, which gives a bit more torque at low speeds.

dean_2.jpg

dean_1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

If it's of interest. Comet specify the 1015 Mashima for the Dean Goods but there's ample room for the 1024, which gives a bit more torque at low speeds.

dean_2.jpg

dean_1.jpg

Thats worth knowing. I've got a very old Mainline model to overhaul in the future. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kingmender said:

Rodger

IMG_0760.JPG

Probably inside................

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

Dave Stone, Roger Swan and I did Portsmouth last year with Dave's Sherton Abbas. I have to agree that the hospitality is excellent - they even brought around three cooked breakfasts for us in the morning, while we were checking the layout over prior to doors open. The quality of the other layouts was very high, too, and looks to be maintained this year.

8 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

dean_2.jpg

dean_1.jpg

Nice work Al,

Thanks for showing us.

I'm sure I've posted the following images before (though it could well have been over a thousand pages back!). 

1905873095_DeanGoods02.jpg.9807a85e15b6d0e156ec90f711c9ecbe.jpg

531700883_DeanGoods03.jpg.6277a20f4a43f20a337a0bbef1a42321.jpg

1432988081_DeanGoods04.jpg.a00131e336a32f808a9350647cfa6773.jpg

192292236_DeanGoods05.jpg.d2b2b65e55aa8ed0af9558593917e4ff.jpg

161080930_DeanGoods06.jpg.e1ec78d03e3a6d1635d1616af7a7f6f2.jpg

Complete Comet replacements for an old Hornby Dean Goods. 

I gave this finished model to Simon Kohler. Did Hornby ever re-chassis the Dean 0-6-0?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13