Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for another picture of the Dean, but I thought I'd show it after removal of the coal lump and a substitute chimney from 247 Developments:

dean.jpg

Hornby haven't revisited this model to my knowledge, Tony.

Al

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With Hattons in the process of producing generic pre-grouping 4 wheeled coaches to modern model standards in OO/4mm it seemed a good opportunity to undertake a modelling project to produce something similar in N/2mm . . . . . .  and generic models are nothing new in N gauge. Graham Farish produced a small range of basic 4-wheel generic coaches in various liveries in the 1970s and special ones as part of the infamous Shredded Wheat promotion. I've acquired several examples (pic below) to use as a starting point for a little gentle modelling and upgrading.

DSC_0362.JPG.65d9b9988060059157a1eb93b8a5d9c3.JPG

I've got some cast metal vents and 3D printed oil/gas lights to add to the roof (the Farish ones just have a line of five bumps on the roof) and will look to replace the wheels and buffers and add brake pipes and any other necessary details. I'll give them a re-paint but will need to choose a simple, but bright, livery that will be easy to apply - no tricky lining. Any suggestions bearing in mind how they look.

There's two types: a 5 compartment version (I've only got two of those) and a brake with 3 passenger compartments. Some are damaged (corners broken off roofs, no buffers, cracked bodies and one even has some door/window pillars broken and missing) so I'll probably look to complete four (2 of each type).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I think this shows the benefit of batch building as once I got into the groove of doing them, the chassis, bogies, bodies and roofs went together quite quickly.

I like to build things in batches of three - points, coach kits, signals, what have you. Fewer than that and I seem to be hanging around for stuff to happen like glue and paint drying; more than three and I start to get bored.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I like to build things in batches of three - points, coach kits, signals, what have you. Fewer than that and I seem to be hanging around for stuff to happen like glue and paint drying; more than three and I start to get bored.

In my professional model-making days, John, I used to build up to four locos of the same type at once (not every time, of course). 

It was certainly more-efficient of my time, and the painters (be it Ian Rathbone or - more often now - Geoff Haynes) could then paint the lot together, which was (is) also more-efficient of their time. The reason I use Geoff more these days is certainly not because I'm dissatisfied with Ian's work - no, no, no! It's a question of simple proximity. Whereas I used to live not far from Ian, I now live not far from Geoff, and Ian paints more in 7mm these days. 

The most popular types to batch-build? DJH A1s and A2/2s; the latter type would be more so now, there being no RTR equivalent.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, grahame said:

With Hattons in the process of producing generic pre-grouping 4 wheeled coaches to modern model standards in OO/4mm it seemed a good opportunity to undertake a modelling project to produce something similar in N/2mm . . . . . .  and generic models are nothing new in N gauge. Graham Farish produced a small range of basic 4-wheel generic coaches in various liveries in the 1970s and special ones as part of the infamous Shredded Wheat promotion. I've acquired several examples (pic below) to use as a starting point for a little gentle modelling and upgrading.

DSC_0362.JPG.65d9b9988060059157a1eb93b8a5d9c3.JPG

I've got some cast metal vents and 3D printed oil/gas lights to add to the roof (the Farish ones just have a line of five bumps on the roof) and will look to replace the wheels and buffers and add brake pipes and any other necessary details. I'll give them a re-paint but will need to choose a simple, but bright, livery that will be easy to apply - no tricky lining. Any suggestions bearing in mind how they look.

There's two types: a 5 compartment version (I've only got two of those) and a brake with 3 passenger compartments. Some are damaged (corners broken off roofs, no buffers, cracked bodies and one even has some door/window pillars broken and missing) so I'll probably look to complete four (2 of each type).

It was a long time ago but you might like to check out these:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

48 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Do they, Grahame, like the forthcoming Hatton's 'generic' range of pre-Grouping four-wheelers range, represent no actual specific prototype? 

One latter-day use for ancient four-wheeled carriages is in engineers' trains. I have one, builder unknown (kit unknown, but it's etched brass), which I stripped right down after acquiring it, and painted it in engineers' black. John Isherwood very kindly supplied the transfers, and, after I'd applied them and glazed the carriage, Richard Wilson weathered it. 

It's seen here in 'typical' engineers' trains on LB...............

A visitor suggested it might be NBR in origin, but I've really no idea. Does anyone?

It runs in company with a Mousa Models' resin ex-GNR non-gangwayed Brake Third, again in engineering use. 

I built this as a review in BRM. Again, John Isherwood kindly supplied the transfers. 

Obviously, as I'd finished it it was way too clean, so Richard Wilson weathered it for me. 

I wonder when the last of these arcane vehicles finally disappeared from our railways. Were any ever painted red, or blue for service in engineers' trains. Over 40 years ago, I took a shot of a then-new HST at Huntingdon, and in a siding there was a (very-faded) blue-painted Gresley of some description. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, I presume the Farish coaches are generic and not based on an actual prototype (they were available in a range of liveries to represent various companies) although I know nothing about such things. However, they do look rather like some that I've seen pics of and particularly this NER 5 compartment type (apart from the lack of panelled ends) so they could be based on a specific type:

1676681341_NER4wheel.jpg.12bfbcf73d0a05fb6440c3d5909bb7f2.jpg

I've no idea where this pic (above) came from (I've had it for ages) so it might be subject to copyright although it is marked page 4 so is probably only part of a document - possibly a kit instruction - that I've taken a photo of.

I'm not planning to do a lot to them; add some easily attached details, smarten them up, upgrade the wheels and buffers, etc. I have this box of bits I put together some years ago and thought it was time to complete the project.

DSCN1334.JPG.7a740ac5d2a1c16d9a61a2c03965de5f.JPG

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, grahame said:

Yes, I presume the Farish coaches are generic and not based on an actual prototype (they were available in a range of liveries to represent various companies) although I know nothing about such things. However, they do look rather like some that I've seen pics of and particularly this NER 5 compartment type (apart from the lack of panelled ends) so they could be based on a specific type:

1676681341_NER4wheel.jpg.12bfbcf73d0a05fb6440c3d5909bb7f2.jpg

I've no idea where this pic (above) came from (I've had it for ages) so it might be subject to copyright although it is marked page 4 so is probably only part of a document - possibly a kit instruction - that I've taken a photo of.

I'm not planning to do a lot to them; add some easily attached details, smarten them up, upgrade the wheels and buffers, etc. I have this box of bits I put together some years ago and thought it was time to complete the project.

DSCN1334.JPG.7a740ac5d2a1c16d9a61a2c03965de5f.JPG

Thanks Grahame,

Odd that the drawing is lettered 'NSR'. And, all the compartments are shown as the same size, be they 1st, 2nd or 3rd Class; all 3rd Class on the plan. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Tony Wright said:

Odd that the drawing is lettered 'NSR'. And, all the compartments are shown as the same size, be they 1st, 2nd or 3rd Class; all 3rd Class on the plan. 

Yes, I'd noticed that. With the compartments all the same size I assumed the side elevation drawing markings were wrong (look like they are hastily hand written on) and that they were all third as per the plan. I've no idea what NSR is? The drawing gives sample numbers for NER.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tony Wright said:

Thanks John,

Could be, especially as the North Stafford's emblem was in the form of a knot. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I think that the North Sunderland Railway acquired several items of stock from the NER / LNER.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grahame said:

Yes, I'd noticed that. With the compartments all the same size I assumed the side elevation drawing markings were wrong (look like they are hastily hand written on) and that they were all third as per the plan. I've no idea what NSR is? The drawing gives sample numbers for NER.

Looking at the Interior Layout, all the compartments are marked as Thirds. I'd guess that the NSR upgraded some compartments to Second and First, thereby creating a 1st / 2nd / 3rd composite.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's the leading vehicle seen here. There's a list of North Sunderland Railway rolling stock here, from which I conclude the drawing shows the NER Diagram 58 third class carriage No. 1980, purchased in 1911. The NSR presumably re-classified three of the compartments as first and second. I wonder if they actually changed the upholstery or whether the idea was simply to provide the appropriate degrees of social separation?

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Nice work Al,

Thanks for showing us.

I'm sure I've posted the following images before (though it could well have been over a thousand pages back!). 

1905873095_DeanGoods02.jpg.9807a85e15b6d0e156ec90f711c9ecbe.jpg

531700883_DeanGoods03.jpg.6277a20f4a43f20a337a0bbef1a42321.jpg

1432988081_DeanGoods04.jpg.a00131e336a32f808a9350647cfa6773.jpg

192292236_DeanGoods05.jpg.d2b2b65e55aa8ed0af9558593917e4ff.jpg

161080930_DeanGoods06.jpg.e1ec78d03e3a6d1635d1616af7a7f6f2.jpg

Complete Comet replacements for an old Hornby Dean Goods. 

I gave this finished model to Simon Kohler. Did Hornby ever re-chassis the Dean 0-6-0?

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks to all who replied to my question and for all the pictures above, really useful.. I've spent the last hour opening out the holes in the frames to fit the bearings. I've made a start on the opening up the rods to take markits crank pins.

Picture (apologies for the poor lighting in the image) of tender progress. Tool boxes, fire iron rest, brake and scoop standards to be refitted. Then add a little coal.

Rodger 

IMG_0796.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I recently read David Jenkinson's book on carriage building. He suggests that batch building is a good way not to be tempted to rush things (something I'm prone to). As

you say, it does cut down the hanging around aspect.

I'm going to have a go at Jenkinson's methods soon, once I've obtained some plastic card of the right thicknesses. I tried scratchbuilding a panelled coach in my teens, using

the Jenkinson approach, but it ended up a soggy, warped mess - however I think I might be able to do a better job now.. with the benefit of (some) maturity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

I recently read David Jenkinson's book on carriage building. He suggests that batch building is a good way not to be tempted to rush things (something I'm prone to). As

you say, it does cut down the hanging around aspect.

I'm going to have a go at Jenkinson's methods soon, once I've obtained some plastic card of the right thicknesses. I tried scratchbuilding a panelled coach in my teens, using

the Jenkinson approach, but it ended up a soggy, warped mess - however I think I might be able to do a better job now.. with the benefit of (some) maturity.

David Jenkinson is probably one of the greatest scratch-builders of carriages, ever, Al.

However, I think the title of one of his books describing his methods is a little disingenuous. He uses the word 'easy' in it!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I think it's the leading vehicle seen here. There's a list of North Sunderland Railway rolling stock here, from which I conclude the drawing shows the NER Diagram 58 third class carriage No. 1980, purchased in 1911. The NSR presumably re-classified three of the compartments as first and second. I wonder if they actually changed the upholstery or whether the idea was simply to provide the appropriate degrees of social separation?

Connoisseur did the NER 4 wheelers as 4mm etched kits ( I have one built one) . No longer listed on his current 7mm kits on checking now.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I don't think "Carriage Modelling Made Only Slightly Less Difficult" would have gone down well with the sales people...

Have a shufty at my carriage bodging thread to see my attempts. Anything is possible and I think with a bit of patience you can do it..... (Ok I cheat a little!)

Andy G

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davefrk said:

The biggest batch I did was four Caley 812 locos

Hi Dave, although completely out of my modelling scope, I always had a soft spot for Caley and NB locomotives with the 812 and J36s my favourites. The one in lined Caledonian Blue looks an absolute treat!

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The Nu-Cast B16/3 is now complete

Another beauty, Tony!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1