Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

9 hours ago, James Fitzjames said:

Is the SEF revival in the pipeline, or is it just there to be revived? I would find the former pretty exciting...

James, the revival of the Nu-cast range is well under way in conjunction with Branchlines as NuCast Partners.  I don't think everything is going to re-appear, but there's quite a few already done.  There is a thread at 

and the latest list is:-

Nucast2019.jpg.c43badf2fe8650801668bd167736952f.jpg

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Lecorbusier said:

As far as interlocking is concerned, the new (ish) leverframe etch now available through scalefour stores looks fascinating if thats what floats your boat.:victory:  I can't make out if it floats mine yet! Maybe for a very simple set up such as would have operated at Monsaldale ... we will have to see. :unknw_mini: Have to admit that at the moment the complexity blows my mind :blink:

post-6879-0-31384300-1537645639.jpg.f6fffb95a378d78f5d37c2589736bf45.jpg

Tim, yes there is complexity but some of that arises from size. A lot of what you are seeing there is the same basic configuration repeated dozens of times. Start small and work up!

To be clear, this is not to take away anything from Howard Bolton's skills. IMHO he is probably the best in this field at the moment - his work can be seen on this thread among others:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Presumably there was a similar promotion with Nabisco Foods for Kitmaster kits? I have a "Deltic" which mentions them on the instruction leaflet?

If you could get Dapol/Parkside kits this way now, I'd eat breakfast cereal three times a day....

Yes, Shredded Wheat. I didn't (still don't) like the stuff but put up with it long enough to get a Deltic...

• Funny 3

16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, Shredded Wheat. I didn't (still don't) like the stuff but put up with it long enough to get a Deltic...

It was Shreaded Wheat boxes that got me in to modelling c1957, I cut them up and made them in to houses for my Hornby Dublo 3 Rail.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Buhar said:

James, the revival of the Nu-cast range is well under way in conjunction with Branchlines as NuCast Partners.  I don't think everything is going to re-appear, but there's quite a few already done.  There is a thread at 

and the latest list is:-

Nucast2019.jpg.c43badf2fe8650801668bd167736952f.jpg

Alan

Brilliant, thank you Alan! 'Sentinel Railcar': my joy is deep:D

Edited by James Fitzjames
Addition
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Presumably there was a similar promotion with Nabisco Foods for Kitmaster kits? I have a "Deltic" which mentions them on the instruction leaflet?

If you could get Dapol/Parkside kits this way now, I'd eat breakfast cereal three times a day....

And around 1970 Kellogs did a set of early motor cars in around 1:76 scale.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And if you are after anything from the old Nu-cast range, give Dave at SEF a call and if he can he will spin you the kit (quite a few ex Nu-cast, ex Sutherland HR wee Bens have been done recently... ;-] )

Also on the Frame front, Frank Roomes' Lutton had a fully interlocked frame that was a pleasure to use, along with proper block instruments. It was used to train Sappers, and as Frank was an MOT Railway Inspector it all had to work properly (I even recall very small token pouches).. That really introduced me to a railway that worked as it should and what a joy it was to operate.

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've slapped some paint on; crimson (it looks a little Midland style) on the body sides, grey for the roof and black ends (it's all very impressionistic being generic coaches). However I need some satin varnish to tone down the high gloss paint finish which is not a good look on small N/2mm models. And to make, paint and fit some basic interiors (partitions and seating) from mount-board card.

DSCN1375.JPG.014e90a5bd06c4ebc04d5d319eb927f2.JPG

• Like 8

11 hours ago, uax6 said:

And if you are after anything from the old Nu-cast range, give Dave at SEF a call and if he can he will spin you the kit (quite a few ex Nu-cast, ex Sutherland HR wee Bens have been done recently... ;-] )

Also on the Frame front, Frank Roomes' Lutton had a fully interlocked frame that was a pleasure to use, along with proper block instruments. It was used to train Sappers, and as Frank was an MOT Railway Inspector it all had to work properly (I even recall very small token pouches).. That really introduced me to a railway that worked as it should and what a joy it was to operate.

Andy G

Much appreciated, Andy, definitely some items I would be wanting:)

3 hours ago, James Fitzjames said:

Much appreciated, Andy, definitely some items I would be wanting:)

When talking to Dave very recently, he said that quite a few moulds are unusable, so any kits that contain those are unlikely to be re-issued, at least not for a long time. Additionally,  a lot of patterns are missing, so would add to the costs of some kits appearing again.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/11/2019 at 18:31, Chamby said:

Great to meet Tony, Mo and Jesse today.  Definitely a highlight, my abiding memory of the day overall is however summed up by this:

002AEB4D-FBFA-42D4-894A-97FD246AA8AE.jpeg.948c5c820c75963b449d341b928d7f3c.jpeg

I didn’t feel that there was as much 4mm this year, there seemed to be rather more narrow gauge, O gauge and US/continental stuff than usual.  A couple of nice characterful layouts that did catch my attention, Norwich Central:

8147CE45-93FF-47FE-9EA4-DA448541B079.jpeg.3562bf32954595dae0089ab9fb01d955.jpeg

Blackfriars Bridge in P4:

61D934C6-C86C-4718-AB7E-BA1865412538.jpeg.ff474761c42a3e93b1dd897056bbf505.jpeg

And a nice O gauge layout called Kimble, unfortunately the photo won’t upload.

Warley is always worth a visit, but the long trek from the car park, £17.50 entry price (plus another £16 for parking) and endless traipsing round the huge hall do make for a tiring and expensive day out.

Good to see you, Phil, as well (though why I called you Paul I can only put down to crumbling faculties!). 

Thank you for your most-generous donation to CRUK, and thanks to all the others, too. Mo counted up nearly £100.00 this morning! 

I never got to see any layouts at Warley, which is as expected. However, I did have the most-fantastic time talking to so many visitors, demonstrating aspects of loco construction and fixing a few duds. I also bought some more (old) loco kits from a stall selling hundreds. What a find!

Despite enjoying ourselves so much, this will be our last Warley Show. Why?  Being on the M6 car park on the Friday afternoon is little fun, though (only just) less fun than negotiating an alternative route through Coventry. Over an hour and a half to get from western end of the M69 to the NEC is not to be repeated! 

Then there's the leaving! We were in the demonstration area, adjacent to the vast Squire's stand. Entirely reasonably, all the demos were requested to pack up half an hour early to give Squires some space to get all there stuff into a big van to return home. Which meant we were ready to leave just prior to closing. Nobody told us that hand trolleys were not allowed! 'Too dangerous' a jobsworth informed us. He wouldn't let us out. Not just us, but others with trolleys as well (the show had closed by now). This is despite the fact that invalid 'scooters' (is that what they're called?) were present in large numbers throughout the show. Are trolleys more 'dangerous' that those?  'I'd lose my job if I let you out' he bleated. 'But then the "dangerous" trolleys would be gone' said I. No good. It took Ian Rathbone (bless him), as a Warley Club member, to tell us we could leave; he accepting the 'responsibility'.

I fully accept that this sort of thing has nothing to do with Warley. The members do a great job. It's (some of) the NEC staff, which, in my experience, just hinder things - two years ago, one officious car park attendant caused a huge blockage by not letting exhibitors' cars into the adjacent car park for breaking down, despite all exhibitors being told (we could just understand the hopeless PA system - it was worse this year) to bring their cars in. He eventually got a message - fortunately for him, because Kim Clifford was considering doing the oaf harm! 

And then there's finally 'escaping' from the car park.  

Never again, but thanks to all the Warley Club members for putting on such a fine show.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Just one more thing on the 'operating' front.

As is well-known, I'm in the 'building' camp rather than the 'operator' one, though the two are not exclusive. 

One thing which pleases me as much as anything else about Little Bytham is that I can leave visitors to their own devices and, in very little time, they've worked out how to operate it by themselves. They just get on with it - no bells, no dings, and all great fun! 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Then there's the leaving! We were in the demonstration area, adjacent to the vast Squire's stand. Entirely reasonably, all the demos were requested to pack up half an hour early to give Squires some space to get all there stuff into a big van to return home. Which meant we were ready to leave just prior to closing. Nobody told us that hand trolleys were not allowed! 'Too dangerous' a jobsworth informed us. He wouldn't let us out. Not just us, but others with trolleys as well (the show had closed by now). This is despite the fact that invalid 'scooters' (is that what they're called?) were present in large numbers throughout the show. Are trolleys more 'dangerous' that those?  'I'd lose my job if I let you out' he bleated. 'But then the "dangerous" trolleys would be gone' said I. No good. It took Ian Rathbone (bless him), as a Warley Club member, to tell us we could leave; he accepting the 'responsibility'.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by hand trolleys but on the basis that the NEC deems them 'too dangerous' (to be allowed presumably under the control of the untrained public) it's a wonder supermarkets have persevered with shopping trolleys, airports haven't banned luggage trolleys and many sectors of British industry, including railway stations, still use sack barrows.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I thought the stall selling second hand kits was remarkably good value! I purchased a Nu cast kit for around £80.  On getting home opened it to find a set of wheels in it.  Makes the kit almost free!

Good also to see a well stocked  SE Finecast stall with a good, professional looking presence.

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I fully accept that this sort of thing has nothing to do with Warley. The members do a great job. It's (some of) the NEC staff, which, in my experience, just hinder things - two years ago, one officious car park attendant caused a huge blockage by not letting exhibitors' cars into the adjacent car park for breaking down, despite all exhibitors being told (we could just understand the hopeless PA system - it was worse this year) to bring their cars in. He eventually got a message - fortunately for him, because Kim Clifford was considering doing the oaf harm! 

And then there's finally 'escaping' from the car park.  

Never again, but thanks to all the Warley Club members for putting on such a fine show.

Regards,

Tony. 

I remember that Tony, Kim is not to be messed with, particularly when she has her school mistress hat on - even I do as I'm told!

When you say hand trolleys, do you mean the sort of folding sack truck type things. If they are banned that would be a real pain. We tend to load our demo on this with the aid of a couple of bungees and, so long as its not throwing it down with rain, walk it out to the car parks which is a lot easier than queuing to get your car in the car park opposite. Could somebody possibly post a snap of the 'dangerous' type of trolley!

We had a fabulous weekend with the family, the highlight of course being Ted's second birthday. That said, I did miss my weekend in the demonstrators enclave.

Jerry and Kim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

If it was the chap by the door nearest to us he did say something about trolleys, when I said I'd been doing this for 6 years he replied it was his first. Hopefully a newbie that needs retraining for next year.

I did notice that the "normal" exit the other side of the food court was unmanned but folks were leaving by that route as I passed by outside.

Sorry we didn't have chance to catch up and hope you can reconsider for next year, the show would not be the same without you :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a good day out again at Warley this year and managed to pick up some useful items from - in particular - Squires and Modelu and took pity on a part built Ratio bogie parcels van. Also managed a very brief word with Tony and caught up with old friends from the south. 

I find the NEC something to be endured, concrete jungle that it is and can imagine the ‘job’ for exhibitors to get out. My thanks to all. My NEC grumbles are the ‘plastic’ breakfast (why have I just wasted money on tyres when I could have used NEC bacon?) and the general signage which seems to be for the gratification of folk who know their way around anyway. After getting ‘lost’ on the way out I took amusement from the NEC ‘high vis man’ who seemed incredulous that I wanted to walk to my car...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/11/2019 at 07:15, uax6 said:

Andy G

Hi

Just be aware that Dave is currently unwell so please bear that in mind. I am sure all of us wish him a speedy recovery as well as being really helpful he is a lovely man. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2