Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Clive,

E 9065 E was operating in the South Yorkshireman in 1954, it didn't last long and was despatched to the GE section, Cromer trains I think. There are photographs, however, it is so long a go that I looked at them I've completely forgotten were I saw them. From memory, they were very much akin to the Bulleid tavern cars and the 1947 Maunsell RKB conversions, I think, from memory, with a single window, both sides, at the saloon end. Inside, kichen, buffet counter and saloon, mostly perching/ standing. I think it likely that Robert Carol may have a photo reference if all else fails.

Andrew,

That's really useful - many thanks. I'm keen to build one, but have no diagram or picture to work of. I've had a look at Robert's Fickr pages and can't see anything.

Your observations on E9065E are interesting. Carter (Backtrack Nov 96) suggests that of the three conversions, one went on the South Yorkshireman (as you say), one to the GE and one to the GN to work the Cleethorpes King's Cross train that both Gilbert (PN) and I would like to model correctly. Longworth suggests that E9065E went to the LM in 1953 which doesn't quite fit with your information, but then Longworth isn't always right! E9065 E was also renumbered from E1225E (or Clive thinks to) at some stage.

If anyone has any picture I could work of, I'd be most grateful.

Andy

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DougN said:

I have the feeling the topics are too close to home.

1 layouts - any flat surfaces will collect rolling stock- I have to clear the layout all off as there is way too much out at the moment. Not helped by the 2 year old  nephew saying at the top of his voice I want "lying scotsman".... then onto "oooow you have a spencer, you run them? yes? " so I now have lost the work bench (read 6 inch square space I build kits in!) it is a biggy for me this weekend to put every thing away! 

2 the Strategic reserve of Kits. I have managed to now collect even further loco kits (what am I going to do with 3 finney A4's to build? )  let alone the other V2, A3x2 and a A1...... I need to get on and finish a number of the others I have part way through. A V2 has reached the cylinders but the slid bars are in the same alignment for the coupling rods!.... need to figure out the solution to this before going any further... I have said to my other half I do not want to list them as it is too scary! 

I guess the one thing in my favour is I have at least 40 years ahead of me....

Out of interest Doug,

Yesterday Jesse and I were counting up the loco kits I have to build. We came to a total of 28.

Since my intention is to have more loco kits left to build than I have years left to live, and 28 should take me about two years, I'd better acquire some more!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

Have to agree Tony. It is just as well I am not joining you and Jesse... I have a real problem may be I need to go to MA... to stop buying more loco kits. 

On a a serious note I think I actually need to move onto coaches and wagons... as any layout needs more coaches wagons than locomotives.  these are a little more challenging as the coaches need to be a cross section such as on little bytham, Grantham and Peterborough north layouts. So comet, and MJT et al I really have to have a go at some Gresley coaches as I have yet to do any of these kits!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andrew,

That's really useful - many thanks. I'm keen to build one, but have no diagram or picture to work of. I've had a look at Robert's Fickr pages and can't see anything.

Your observations on E9065E are interesting. Carter (Backtrack Nov 96) suggests that of the three conversions, one went on the South Yorkshireman (as you say), one to the GE and one to the GN to work the Cleethorpes King's Cross train that both Gilbert (PN) and I would like to model correctly. Longworth suggests that E9065E went to the LM in 1953 which doesn't quite fit with your information, but then Longworth isn't always right! E9065 E was also renumbered from E1225E (or Clive thinks to) at some stage.

If anyone has any picture I could work of, I'd be most grateful.

Andy

Morning Andy,

the numbering looks to be a bit of a confusing from various sources. Theoretically, all LNER catering vehicles should have received 9*** numbers under the Thompson scheme of 1946. Robert (personal communication) has E1225E as that used in the South Yorkshireman. LNER 1225 should have become 9065 in 1946. I probably have more info, I have definitely seen photographs, being a bit out of my time period (too modern) I have probably filed it all away. I don't think that dia drawings exist for any of the BR period conversions to RKB, RCAF or Cafateria cars ect.

I must zip of to the Dentist now, so don't hold your breath.

• RMweb Premium

Please may I ask the collective knowledge base of Wright Writes for some advice on soldering irons. I currently use a basic Antec 40Watt and it does very well for most jobs. However I plan to start soon on some brass/whitemetal coach kits and - I presume - will have need of a temperature controlled version to cater for the castings. My good lady wife has offered to buy me one for Christmas and so I want to be extra certain to make the correct choice.

My basic questions are: a) What lower end temperature should I be looking for?  b) Can anyone recommend a particular item or conversely one to avoid?

I have skimmed through RMWeb already but cannot find any up to date information. The budget would be about £50 - £60 as a starting point but this is flexible to get the right piece of equipment.

• Like 1

If you know what you're doing with mains lead / plug wiring, then you could simply wire your existing soldering iron through a lighting dimmer switch, in a suitable box, and arrive at "safe" heat settings by trial on lumps of appropriate solders and on jobs on scrap pieces. That's a nice cheap way to dip your toe into the allegedly murky waters of low temperature soldering, which can actually turn out to be easier than stuff that requires high temperatures. You must of course clean the bit of the iron, or switch bits, when changing from solder for brass etc to solder for white metal, and vice-versa. I've never felt the need for a more sophisticated temperature-controlled iron, but then I hate to spend money......

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've knocked up some interiors (partitions and seats) from mountboard card and styrene strip to go in the generic coaches. The coaches were supplied without any interiors so I don't know if they were ever produced but it's quick and simple enough to make some. They don't need to be detailed or accurate as the windows are small and they only need to be representative in N/2mm. Anyway, time to sit down for a relaxing cuppa . . . . 

DSCN1378.JPG.9056f8b2068bb9c1c2c1a528e804cefd.JPG

Edited by grahame
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I hope that's a photographic stand-in rather than your actual cutting mat, Grahame!

Yep, sort of, it a newish clean one mainly used for photography. There's another to the right (out of sight) that is rather more stained, scruffy, bashed and cut up that is used for the actual modelling. When that becomes unserviceable it'll be replaced with the one pictured and some new ones purchased.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Good afternoon running Little Bytham, my friends from the North, Dave and Christine, popped over to see me and to see LB, as well as Tony and Mo. It was also good to see Geoff West again, the pair of us sitting on the far side like school children receiving orders from Sir. It was a wonderful day, mates playing trains as Tony put it. 

It was also wonderful to speak to so many of you at Warley, I can’t wait till next time. 

F63E370D-AD77-4AFB-9977-F9A74AB24F78.jpeg

A most enjoyable day yesterday playing trains with good mates. Thanks Tony and thanks to Mo for a lovely lunch.

Also good to see Jesse again and have a good chat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I've understood correctly what little I've been told, they won't be GNR cabs, as used on the GNR-built locos such as O2/1, the prototype O2, and the Gresley O1 (later O3). They will, I believe, be the early post-grouping LNER version of the GNR style cab, used only on the post-1923 O2/2 series. The roof shape is definitely different and the spectacle apertures are definitely different. 

• Like 3

The stand at Warley selling loads of unmade kits, also had some made-up ones. 

31334385_DJHB161.jpg.8f28ba556477ae5ff86e2a953307c7ec.jpg

This was one (or, at least, the start of what it's become now).

The original price was £255.00. It looked well-made - probably a factory-finished one from DJH (in their Banbury days), judging by the etched 'DJH' plate underneath it, complete with a number.

However (there's always an however!), it had K's wheels and an open-framed D13 motor. Not only that, one cylinder had come loose and the crossheads had a habit of jumping out of the slidebars.

Jesse Sim bought it, for the princely sum of £130.00! I fixed the cylinder instantly! So, today, with him as a spectator, I've replaced the drivers with Markits ones, and the pony wheels with Alan Gibson's. I've also installed a DJH motor/gearbox combination and installed a DCC chip (it still bamboozles me why folk adopt a DCC system. but cannot solder a chip into a loco. Can you see the irony? A DCC-ite needing the help of a DCC loather to hard solder in a decoder!). Jesse will paint the gearbox when he gets home. 

Of course, one never gets anything for nothing. The Markits wheels are the correct 5-8" (scale size), but the K-s drivers were smaller. Thus, with much bad language, I've removed material from inside the splashers to give clearance. It's also got a dead chassis. Not counting my time (which was free), the extra bits (other than the chip) brought the complete price up to £216.00 - still cheaper than the price first asked and now a far-superior runner. A bargain? I think so. He took great delight in seeing it romp around LB this evening (something it struggled to do as bought).

I've also installed a chip into a D2 Jesse bought off Ebay. This has an open-framed five-pole motor of some age. No matter, Jeremy of Digitrains provided exactly the right chip, as he did for the B16. What a helpful guy. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The stand at Warley selling loads of unmade kits, also had some made-up ones. 

31334385_DJHB161.jpg.8f28ba556477ae5ff86e2a953307c7ec.jpg

This was one (or, at least, the start of what it's become now).

The original price was £255.00. It looked well-made - probably a factory-finished one from DJH (in their Banbury days), judging by the etched 'DJH' plate underneath it, complete with a number.

However (there's always an however!), it had K's wheels and an open-framed D13 motor. Not only that, one cylinder had come loose and the crossheads had a habit of jumping out of the slidebars.

Jesse Sim bought it, for the princely sum of £130.00! I fixed the cylinder instantly! So, today, with him as a spectator, I've replaced the drivers with Markits ones, and the pony wheels with Alan Gibson's. I've also installed a DJH motor/gearbox combination and installed a DCC chip (it still bamboozles me why folk adopt a DCC system. but cannot solder a chip into a loco. Can you see the irony? A DCC-ite needing the help of a DCC loather to hard solder in a decoder!). Jesse will paint the gearbox when he gets home. 

Of course, one never gets anything for nothing. The Markits wheels are the correct 5-8" (scale size), but the K-s drivers were smaller. Thus, with much bad language, I've removed material from inside the splashers to give clearance. It's also got a dead chassis. Not counting my time (which was free), the extra bits (other than the chip) brought the complete price up to £216.00 - still cheaper than the price first asked and now a far-superior runner. A bargain? I think so. He took great delight in seeing it romp around LB this evening (something it struggled to do as bought).

I've also installed a chip into a D2 Jesse bought off Ebay. This has an open-framed five-pole motor of some age. No matter, Jeremy of Digitrains provided exactly the right chip, as he did for the B16. What a helpful guy. 

And a very big thankyou from me to you Tony, I really think I got a great bargain, now to build the kit I’ve got at home of one. You mentioned selling it, that was clearly a trick question, because if I sold an unbuilt kit because I purchased one built I’d receive a very thorough thumping! Thanks also for the D2. 

I did cook dinner as a thankyou, but it really isn’t enough to how much you’ve helped me. 

New buffers, a quick bit of black paint and she’ll be romping around Brighton Junction in no time, thankyou. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

And a very big thankyou from me to you Tony, I really think I got a great bargain, now to build the kit I’ve got at home of one. You mentioned selling it, that was clearly a trick question, because if I sold an unbuilt kit because I purchased one built I’d receive a very thorough thumping! Thanks also for the D2. 

I did cook dinner as a thankyou, but it really isn’t enough to how much you’ve helped me. 

New buffers, a quick bit of black paint and she’ll be romping around Brighton Junction in no time, thankyou. 

The dinner was superb, Jesse.................

Many thanks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grahame said:

The coaches were supplied without any interiors so I don't know if they were ever produced ...

The Shredded Wheat coaches did not, nor did they have the usual rapido couplers (a plastic eye on one end and a peg on the other were provided as part of the chassis moulding) but GF ones had interiors and the usual N gauge couplers.

9 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

The Shredded Wheat coaches did not, nor did they have the usual rapido couplers (a plastic eye on one end and a peg on the other were provided as part of the chassis moulding) but GF ones had interiors and the usual N gauge couplers.

The couplers on the Farish generic coaches I've got have Rapido business ends but are the old design with a 'U' bend in the shank and a ring and peg retention fitting rather than the more common T end with spring in a box fitting. With so many of them broken or damaged I'll also have to fabricate something bespoke in their place as well as the interiors to replace the missing ones.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2019 at 00:26, Coach bogie said:

May be of interest to the Eastern modellers, I have just noticed a recent addition to the Worsley Works site. Allen is producing etches for the West Riding and Silver Jubilee sets, though I am no sure what scale.(4mm in the web address)

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_LNER.htm

Mike Wiltshire

Edit It is 4mm scale

Interesting find - MARC models do the Silver Jubilee set already (in a more complete kit rather than the scratch aid of Worsley), although I understand availability is an issue at present?

The West Riding set is an interesting choice - what is the difference (ignoring the beavertail and the side lettering) between the West Riding set and Coronation set? Thanks :)

6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Interesting find - MARC models do the Silver Jubilee set already (in a more complete kit rather than the scratch aid of Worsley), although I understand availability is an issue at present?

The West Riding set is an interesting choice - what is the difference (ignoring the beavertail and the side lettering) between the West Riding set and Coronation set? Thanks :)

'what is the difference (ignoring the beavertail and the side lettering) between the West Riding set and Coronation set?'

Other than the details you mention, there was no difference - as was the spare set, which carried no side-brandings, but announced which train it was by roof-mounted boards. There were four sets made - two 'Coronations', one 'West Riding' and one spare.

The formations were the same. Occasionally, one sees pictures of the spare set substituting for 'The Silver Jubilee', even though the seating arrangements and dining arrangements were not the same. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Thanks 1