Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

10 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

A bit more progress on my LSWR brake coach. The roof is cut slightly oversize for now and just clipped into place to get a feel for how it will look.

lswr1.jpg.c4f43a252a41637a4e7aeebff2df7a84.jpg

lswr2.jpg.af2de6dc72d0dea6ae00abb5c371a8b7.jpg

There's no trussing supplied in the kit, even though it says there should be some L-profile brass section. May I ask what the coach builders of this area use? I don't think I've seen anything suitable in my local model shop.

Al

Eileens Emporium sell Brass sections.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Out of interest, some rather good examples of Geoff Haynes' weathering...........................

Geoff describes his methods in his new book from Crowood. These are a mixture of airbrush, powders and dry-brush work.  

1603224349_IanWilsonweatheredwagons01.jpg.81eab60cc4e7fd008bc90766c17bd02e.jpg

497062338_IanWilsonweatheredwagons02.jpg.c39d84929b529c64e6c81bb0c7e1a256.jpg

1945142471_IanWilsonweatheredwagons03.jpg.162dada28e5cba44a127cfeaaf0ec104.jpg

These are the property of Ian Wilson, and are in O Gauge. They're made from kits or modified RTR, and run on his ironstone branch. 

One of the best ways of achieving realism in railway modelling is weathering. Why do some not do it? 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

In my particular case, some of my stock is weathered but not the great majority of it, as really should be the case. The reasons include the fact that I've failed so far to find the time to weather it all as well as research the necessary prototype details, build it / buy it / run it / maintain it, given that other aspects of (real) life keep intruding upon my modelling time.

I keep trying to get it all done......

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, ScRSG said:

You guys down South are really fortunate, I wish we could persuade him to go a (good bit) further North!

According to the website, he will be at a couple of Toy fairs a bit further North, maybe not a 'good bit'. He'll be at Doncaster on 30th December and Bolton the day after.

30 minutes ago, Andy 53B said:

According to the website, he will be at a couple of Toy fairs a bit further North, maybe not a 'good bit'. He'll be at Doncaster on 30th December and Bolton the day after.

Thanks for that but still a couple of hundred miles short!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Out of interest, some rather good examples of Geoff Haynes' weathering...........................

Geoff describes his methods in his new book from Crowood. These are a mixture of airbrush, powders and dry-brush work.  

1603224349_IanWilsonweatheredwagons01.jpg.81eab60cc4e7fd008bc90766c17bd02e.jpg

497062338_IanWilsonweatheredwagons02.jpg.c39d84929b529c64e6c81bb0c7e1a256.jpg

1945142471_IanWilsonweatheredwagons03.jpg.162dada28e5cba44a127cfeaaf0ec104.jpg

These are the property of Ian Wilson, and are in O Gauge. They're made from kits or modified RTR, and run on his ironstone branch. 

One of the best ways of achieving realism in railway modelling is weathering. Why do some not do it? 

I thought something looked odd with the brake gear, and it is a bit, not seen that combination of handle and brake setup before. You learn something everyday.

(It is correct, just a bit weird)

39 minutes ago, MJI said:

I thought something looked odd with the brake gear, and it is a bit, not seen that combination of handle and brake setup before. You learn something everyday.

It's just a more effective alternative to the usual reversing dog clutch found on many railway wagons.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, MJI said:

I haven't a clue whether the brake gear is correct or not. 

If it's incorrect (is it?), then should I have posted the pictures? If it is wrong (and I knew that), then I wouldn't have shown them.

Which leads me on (in a somewhat tangential manner) to the current issue of Railway Modeller (which, as usual, is a damn good read). In it, in the 'Railway of the Month' feature I find I'm mentioned. Apparently there's a 'Tony Wright school of accuracy' (though I taught for at least half of my 40+ year professional career, I never had my own school!). At first I was rather flattered (in a pompous sort of way?), assuming that it was a 'compliment', until I noted the lamps on the locos in the pictures. In almost every picture, whoever put the lamps on the locos belongs to the 'Tony Wright school of inaccuracy'! Expresses/excursions lamped-up as pick-up goods trains? Or a local lamped-up as a light engine? Or, no lamps at all! Which, I wonder, is worse? Though the photographs are good, doesn't the photographer know these things? Does he not know they're so wrong? If he did know, why not mention it? Then take 'correct' pictures. 

I know this is a personal 'bee in my bonnet' thing, and many folk just won't care, or even know. It's just that, with such fine overall modelling, as far as I'm concerned, the illusion of reality is 'lost'. 

Still, LB is next month's RM 'Railway of the Month'. We shall see how well that stands up to 'critical' scrutiny. If things are wrong, I hope folk point them out.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Only roo I eat is the one I’ve shot. 

:cry:Skippy....  :cry:

10 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Interesting find - MARC models do the Silver Jubilee set already (in a more complete kit rather than the scratch aid of Worsley), although I understand availability is an issue at present?

Yes (due I understand to ill-health, sadly).  Tread carefully.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Tony

I know I have asked you this question before so please forgive for repeating myself.

can you please confirm who supplies the smoke box number plate transfers you use on your model locomotives 

I have tried to find the information on your thread but cannot see your earlier reply.

Best Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

If it's incorrect (is it?), then should I have posted the pictures? If it is wrong (and I knew that), then I wouldn't have shown them.

Which leads me on (in a somewhat tangential manner) to the current issue of Railway Modeller (which, as usual, is a damn good read). In it, in the 'Railway of the Month' feature I find I'm mentioned. Apparently there's a 'Tony Wright school of accuracy' (though I taught for at least half of my 40+ year professional career, I never had my own school!). At first I was rather flattered (in a pompous sort of way?), assuming that it was a 'compliment', until I noted the lamps on the locos in the pictures. In almost every picture, whoever put the lamps on the locos belongs to the 'Tony Wright school of inaccuracy'! Expresses/excursions lamped-up as pick-up goods trains? Or a local lamped-up as a light engine? Or, no lamps at all! Which, I wonder, is worse? Though the photographs are good, doesn't the photographer know these things? Does he not know they're so wrong? If he did know, why not mention it? Then take 'correct' pictures. 

I know this is a personal 'bee in my bonnet' thing, and many folk just won't care, or even know. It's just that, with such fine overall modelling, as far as I'm concerned, the illusion of reality is 'lost'. 

Still, LB is next month's RM 'Railway of the Month'. We shall see how well that stands up to 'critical' scrutiny. If things are wrong, I hope folk point them out.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

The brake gear on the 27 ton Tipplers is correct, it was an uncommon arrangement.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

I know I have asked you this question before so please forgive for repeating myself.

can you please confirm who supplies the smoke box number plate transfers you use on your model locomotives 

I have tried to find the information on your thread but cannot see your earlier reply.

Best Regards

David

David,

He uses "Pacific Models"   which is run by Ian Wilson the owner of the weathered  "O" Gauge Wagons featured above.

Regards,Derek.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

It was so weird I went to look on the Paul HMRS site and yes it is correct.

Nice to see that it was correct as so often people do not care.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

It's just a more effective alternative to the usual reversing dog clutch found on many railway wagons.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It is not reversing, it is same both sides.

Hence weird

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Not on the prototype, it's not - the other side does have a lifting link; but it is to the right of the V-hanger, not over the V-hanger.

I stand corrected (by myself)  - the arrangement to which I referred applies to wagons with a cross brakeshaft.

It seems that the iron ore tipplers had separate brake systems on each side, and therefore the same application on each side.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Not on the prototype, it's not - the other side does have a lifting link; but it is to the right of the V-hanger, not over the V-hanger.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbanana

This is the arrangement of lifting links with a brake cross-shaft that I had in mind.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Best Regards

David

Good afternoon David,

They're not transfers, but printed paper front numberplates. 

They're available from Ian Wilson of Pacific Models. Every loco in each class is represented, in some cases in both 'correct' or 'incorrect' Gill Sans style.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of weathering mineral wagons, I tried to simulate some heavy rust patches here:

minerals2.jpg.65c014c1b93d08b2bd80505fda0c8bb4.jpg

Areas of paint were scraped away with a knife, then the affected area attacked with solvent until the plastic began to soften and bubble. Once dry, the patches were then overpainted in rust shades and the body colour touched in around the edges to suggest peeling paint slightly overlapping the rust patch.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon David,

They're not transfers, but printed paper front numberplates. 

They're available from Ian Wilson of Pacific Models. Every loco in each class is represented, in some cases in both 'correct' or 'incorrect' Gill Sans style.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

thank you for that information, I will not forget again.

I have just renamed and renumbered My PDK A2/1 using Fox Transfers and their etched nameplates, they do provide a smoke box number plate but I was really impressed with the clarity of the printed smoke box numbers you use.

So I will be placing an order later today.

Regards

David

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

So Phil does still have Hobby Holidays?

As far as I know he hasn't found a buyer to take over the materials, tools, etc. side of the business, as I believe he wishes to concentrate on his 7mm kits.

He is also recovering from surgery at present (as told to me by another trader) so has had to pull out of some exhibitions.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

thank you for that information, I will not forget again.

I have just renamed and renumbered My PDK A2/1 using Fox Transfers and their etched nameplates, they do provide a smoke box number plate but I was really impressed with the clarity of the printed smoke box numbers you use.

So I will be placing an order later today.

Regards

David

Good evening David,

Just a few examples............................

15293337_4F43938.jpg.ed0982f616d9d63855525167935dcfa7.jpg

647102492_4Fscomplete27onlayout.jpg.97ff1d6a791d4003cb2abc475fce9d9c.jpg

2034749986_16XXSEFinecastbuiltbyTonyWright02.jpg.df7e768bd08d1c00b0fabe6e7d61012a.jpg

1937107521_600140nDownexpress.jpg.1a33c34d2f0dfdafa132802b26697752.jpg

690629475_ABSL1andNu-CastA5onlayout.jpg.411c175cc826c2471ed551c6d022832e.jpg

1644447050_HeljanO2modifications25.jpg.990d035e57b0dd3e37e8d36f317045d2.jpg

618369294_J696862604.jpg.2d7941a8fdd2e83cbe4b4b1ce6471129.jpg

870811210_K3modifications16.jpg.9e7f8c69e276c60f5c34c639d4fd2213.jpg

318979321_PlatformviewsK36182302.jpg.e944720a0fd1f10f80214c3240e83158.jpg

416230399_secondSEFJ6weathered03.jpg.591348976a0b0041a8088b698a8579c0.jpg

The 'plates need to be cut out very carefully, which leaves a white border (this was prototypical at times). I run a black 'Sharpie' around the exposed white edge, making sure that it doesn't 'bleed'. Beware of applying the 'plates before weathering - enamels will affect them. I apply them after weathering, and, if necessary, then give them the slightest wipe. 

They're thick enough not to need a backing plate (except on an A4 or the W1 - did either of the streamlined B17s have a BR front numberplate?), though if the model has one, just stick them on top with a tiny blob of PVA, applied on the end of a cocktail stick just drawn along the rear.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I also print my own from a spreadsheet I designed years ago. Useful for all sorts of signs, station & signal box name boards etc. Not sure if my spreadsheet will post, I'll try. Go to general signs tab, cell A47 & input your number.

SNMBD Excel Worksheet.xls

Edited to add - yes it seems to work. You need to put your number in each cell on line 47. At the side are cabside numbers also. print on the thinnest & cheapest paper, cut out and go round the edges with a black marker as Tony says, and very lightly glue on. A fine wash of dirty turps is then all you need.

This is my home made K3 (before Bachmann released theirs)  A cut down V2 body, home made dome on an old V1 un motored chassis. She is powered by a Hornby B17 tender drive with a Bachmann V2 tender top. Surprisingly she runs well. Cab and smoke box numbers via my spreadsheet - cab lining is original Bachmann (I used a black V2 body & tender).

Perhaps the 6 is wrong - I don't notice !!

DSCF8319rszd.jpg.92fcfa2e377fb2bc469bb9f004161270.jpg

DSCF8318.JPG.90afbf19db58a831b88f933e0ef6ce48.JPG

Brit 15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1