Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

OK, best at stopping - quite possibly the most important performance measure for a heavy mineral engine!

The steam brake equipped Thompson O1. The only 2-8-0 locomotive tested, that could bring a loaded and unfitted fifty mineral wagon freight train to a complete stop within section, while averaging the required thirty five miles per hour between Annesley and Woodford.

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

All this talk of dangerous trolleys, the NEC staff should take a look at out local supermarket. 

Yep, I made the point about shopping trolleys at supermarkets (several pages back now) and also luggage trolleys at airports and barrows at stations and . . . . 

It seems they're all allowed and mostly operated by the public.

27 minutes ago, Headstock said:

The steam brake equipped Thompson O1. The only 2-8-0 locomotive tested, that could bring a loaded and unfitted fifty mineral wagon freight train to a complete stop within section, while averaging the required thirty five miles per hour between Annesley and Woodford.

But not around in 1917.  Bill

• Like 1

Going back a couple of days, 63770 of Colwick was mentioned by Clem, a regular through New Basford in the early 60s when I spent many days there.

This is my version using a Little Engines kit, I know the bogie wheels are under size but using the correct ones meant they jam under the over thick white metal footplate. 

IMG_20191130_192913412.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I know they're a real fiddle, and I'm very lucky to have had the services of Mick Nicholson, Graham Nicholas and Tony Gee to make/make-work my signals, but why is signalling such an 'Aunt Sally' in the hobby? Too difficult? To hard to make? Too hard to make them work? Too fragile? Too expensive if built by others?

Regards,

Tony. 

As already suggested, all of the above.  30 years ago my French layout had working signals - French banner signals operated with wire not in tube.  A very simple arrangement and an absolute pain.  I was seemingly constantly repairing them.  

Signals at best are vulnerable - hands of god (I know they should not happen, but even on the best regulated layouts...…), track cleaning before a running session, etc.  but in an exhibition layout we have to add in damage during set up/break down; damage in transportation and so on.  

By todays standards these were very cheap indeed; a box of 5 from MKD as a kit for around £3.50, but the constant faffing to repair and adjust was a PITA.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What those signal photos do illustrate is a variety of length and position of the stripes on some model signal arms.

I read somewhere that upper quadrant enamel finished arms were very consistent, with a 12" stripe at the end and a width of, I recall, 8" width of white on the front and black on the back of a full size stop arm. Some of those in the photos appear to match those sizes but others do not. Perhaps one of our tame signalling experts can confirm if they should vary or not.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

The British Railways drawing I have, Arm length 41 3/4 in, stripe 7in wide, leading edge 12 1/2in from end of arm.

I've just measured the signal arm I have in my garage from New Basford, although I know which post it came from I don't know it's designation, possibly up advanced starter? 

From the outer end it's 12 3/8th inches to the white stripe which is 7inches wide followed by another 22 1/4 inches of red. As my car is there at the moment I can't turn it round to check the back but presume it's similar. It's marked BR(M) if memory serves.

It's possible it's shorter than standard because the cutting was closing in rapidly at that point leading to Sherwood Rise tunnel.

I also have the calling on arm from the exit from New Basford carriage sidings. 

Edit: having re read the quote I see it's pretty much standard size:sungum:

Edited by great central
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

I'll just add one of mine. Sorry no lamp on the brake van!

05ax3.jpg.02d49696980b8e6f57c34e8b4400a903.jpg

All signals operated with Seep solenoids/

Beautiful signals.

Thanks for showing us.

Have you had many (any) of the Seep solenoids fail? I've had over a dozen failures of them in as many years operating the fiddle yard points. 

Regards,

Tony.