Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It could well be Steve,

I assume it was confined to those locos fitted with electric lighting. I can't find any shots (immediately) showing Gresley Pacifics carrying discs immediately post-War. I'll look more closely.

Regards,

Tony. 

The only Thompson Pacific that I am aware off with folding discs, was Great Northern when first rebuilt in GER Blue. They didnt last long and appeared to gone before it was repainted into Apple Green. Never seen any photos of any other Thompson Pacific with discs.

Did'nt it get failed by a signalman, when it tried to run again when first built,  without oil lamps as well ?

I have also never seen a photo of a Gresley Pacific displaying Discs.

Edited by micklner

33 minutes ago, micklner said:

The only Thompson Pacific that I am aware off with folding discs, was Great Northern when first rebuilt in GER Blue. They didnt last long and appeared to gone before it was repainted into Apple Green. Never seen any photos of any other Thompson Pacific with discs.

Did'nt it get failed by a signalman, when it tried to run again when first built,  without oil lamps as well ?

I have also never seen a photo of a Gresley Pacific displaying Discs.

Fig.221 of the RCTS 'green series', Part 2A, shows A2/1 No. 3698 displaying hinged discs. Three of the class were fitted with them originally.

Thompson apparently took exception (he took exception to many things!) to the way enginemen badly treated loco lamps, and the discs were (one supposes) a reaction to this; less likely to be damaged. However, the hinged discs got bashed even more because they were permanently in place, and were then replaced by plain discs, which were then eventually discarded. 

I believe it was an LMS signalman (in the Leeds area? I can't recall where I've read this) who refused to let an A2/1 run past his 'box because the loco was not displaying correct lamps (LNER locos having running rights), only discs. Nobody in authority had informed the LMS about this.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A rather nice post-War apple green B1 (in B&W, naturally). 

61010_1950_York_small.jpg.bad8bf5be1ed3eed02dbda69563902b5.jpg

61160 at York in 1950. This would have been a repaint, after the loco first appeared in black. 

Would anyone adorn a B1 model like this?

326408382_6111901.jpg.a373820b66ee60b1ce33980ce46ebbd6.jpg

Does anyone know the occasion, please? Or where? The electric warning flashes suggest post-'61. 

Please observe copyright restrictions.

I'm going to have fun writing the books! 

Rather late on the scene however 61119 was shedded @ 

30F Parkeston Quay  24/05/1959 until 14/06/1959
30A Stratford   from14/06/1959 until  16/09/1962
31B March  from16/09/1962 where it was withdrawn on 25/11/1963.

Knowing  Stratford's history for Union Jacks etc. That looks relevant.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Lecorbusier said:

Random I Know .... and nothing to do with anything .... but ....

I liked this seen some of the locos, Pendennis Castle at Bulmers (with Flying Scotsman AFAIR) when I was very small.

Will admit to 08 hunting to see if I recognised any.

18 minutes ago, grahame said:

This morning I've been fiddling around with buildings. I have mocked up temporary view looking north up Borough High Street towards London Bridge using some of the buildings I've made to get an idea of how it will look. The roads, pavement and bridge are just rectangles of grey card. The vast majority of the buildings are incomplete and some aspects are only temporary card place-holders. There are structures to be straightened up and final positions established, as well details added. So still a lot to do.

Nice job Grahame, so far I cannot tell the scale, I am presuming 2mm again but you have to look hard.

Thanks, and yep, N/2mm.

One of the big issues is finding suitable 1:148 scale road vehicles, particularly buses for the period and location. There are no RTP (or kit) 1:148 Daimler Fleetline DMSs, MCW Metrobuses, Leyland Titan B15s, Leyland Nationals, Leyland Olympians, AEC Merlin/Swift Red Arrows or even a decent AEC Routemaster - the ODC version is now dated, inaccurate and rather clunky and isn’t available in the common RML version. All the vehicles in the pic have been bashed and painted - most are 3D printed models which require quite a bit of work.

The same goes for suitable trains - mainly EMUs. In RTR there's only the 4CEP but it is the early un-refurbished version which probably wasn't the best choice for Farish to start with although they are having a second bash with the Thameslink class 319 although that seems possibly a jump too far forward. However at least being dual voltage it should appeal to a greater modelling area. I'm surprised they haven't learnt from and shrunk some of their OO/4mm offerings. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, micklner said:

Morning

??

This the only photo I had to work from.

LNER B1.jpg

Afternoon Mick,

I have a high res version of this image, it is of B1 1016 Inyala not 1037. Tony may find the elaborate lining of the frames and the lower patform above the buffer beam of interes for his book.

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It could well be Steve,

I assume it was confined to those locos fitted with electric lighting. I can't find any shots (immediately) showing Gresley Pacifics carrying discs immediately post-War. I'll look more closely.

Regards,

Tony. 

Afternoon Tony,

discs were used somewhat intermittently on the GC section. A quick browse through of photographs and other images reveals B1's on the Manchester Marylebone expresses and  A3 60052 Prince Palatine in the Master Cutler. The latter loco in BR blue, which would date it to 1949 at the earliest, most of the other images are earlier. Bulleid pacific 34006 used discs, on at least one occassion, while working the Manchester expresses during the interchange trials.

Re the folding fixed Thompson discs. They would blow up or fall over on route, thus altering an express into a through mineral train as an example.

Edited by Headstock
add info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon Mick,

I have a high res version of this image, it is of B1 1016 Inyala not 1037. Tony may find the elaborate lining of the frames and the lower patform above the buffer beam of interes for his book.

Errr yes, senior moment , I will now have to find the photo I used !!! thanks.

Yes, very good red lines showing on the lining. Hornby got them right as well.

9 minutes ago, micklner said:

Errr yes, senior moment , I will now have to find the photo I used !!! thanks.

Yes, very good red lines showing on the lining. Hornby got them right as well.

Mick,

as far as I know that lining style was unique to Inyala, though there may have been others outshoped at the same time. If it is present on Hornb's BR/LNER green 61310 (it wasn't on the one I was given) then it would be wrong.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Headstock said:

Mick,

as far as I know that lining style was unique to Inyala, though there may have been others outshoped at the same time. If it is present on Hornb's BR/LNER green 61310 (it wasn't on the one I was given) then it would be wrong.

Indeed at least one other was outshopped from Darlington with the same lining above the front buffer beam  Yeadon’s Register vol 6, page 7, shows 1013 also with this feature so it may have been a small batch.  1013 was outshopped in December 1946 (just one month before 1016). 

• Informative/Useful 1

I was wondering if there are any people with knowledge of working in a signal box operating the block system on here. I wrote a program in Visual Basic about 20 years ago emulating the workings of a signal box. It hasn't worked for much of that time - visual Basic is pretty well obsolete as far as I know. However, I had a look at it yesterday and with a bit of tweaking, I got it working.  However, when I wrote the program, with up-to-date knowledge I know I got a few things wrong. For instance, when alerting the adjacent box there is a call to attention (1-0-0) but I now believe that's only used for offering new trains forward and doesn't precede train entering section and train leaving section calls (2-0-0 and 2-1-0 respectively). Can anyone confirm that? Also when a train is offered and accepted, at what point would the signalman offer this train forward? Can he do so straight away or would he wait till he got a train entering section from the preceding box? I realise the answers to these questions may not be fixed in the wool but may depend on the length of the sections. 

Here's a quick look at what the program looks like. As you can see, computer programming has come on a lot since I wrote this!

Thanks in advance for any help...

IMG_0533_rdcd.jpg.6c63caaf5d1b1cb1f30d5a338d709a7a.jpg

Edited by Clem
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

You are partially correct. Dealing with current practice, "Call attention" (1 beat) precedes every other signal except for "train entering section" (two beats) and the various emergency codes (which I'm assuming you aren't interested in for modelling purposes). Going back in time, the GWR and BR(WR) did not use "call attention" before "train out of section"  (two pause one) until the various regional differences in bellcodes were eliminated in 1972. A further GWR variation was that the "train out of section" signal was not acknowledged.

In standard working, a signalman will offer a train forward on receipt of "train entering section" from the box  in rear. However, if sections are short, trains may be offered on immediately they are accepted. This will be specified, when necessary, in  the special instructions for each signal box  (called "footnotes" on the Western).

Stuart J

Edited by 4069
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

23 hours ago, MJI said:

I liked this seen some of the locos, Pendennis Castle at Bulmers (with Flying Scotsman AFAIR) when I was very small.

Will admit to 08 hunting to see if I recognised any.

This has me thinking. Isn't time a Castle was seen running through LB?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/5375154070

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clem said:

I wrote a program in Visual Basic about 20 years ago emulating the workings of a signal box. It hasn't worked for much of that time - visual Basic is pretty well obsolete as far as I know.

Hi

Visual Basic is still going strong. I am currently using VB 2010 & VB 2017 at work.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On Buckingham, at Grandborough Junction, as soon as a down non stopping train is offered and accepted (from the fiddle yard) it has to be offered to Buckingham as the electrical switches on the signals at GJ put the Buckingham controller on the track. If the signals are not pulled at GJ to allow it to run through, it doesn't go at all. I had often wondered how close to prototype practice that aspect was.

A train stopping at Grandborough is run on the GJ controller and is offered to Buckingham once it has stopped there.

We do not usually call attention for the 2 or the 2-1 bells but then again, I learned bells on a GWR layout. The Peter Denny written instructions don't mention calling attention for them, so we are happy to go with that.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Visual Basic is still going strong. I am currently using VB 2010 & VB 2017 at work.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul. I presume it is very different to VB6 which is used on mine. (I wrote it in VB4, upped it to VB5 and until yesterday never managed to get it working in VB6). I'm really out of practice with it  and wouldn't have managed to rewrite it now (without some serious revision). Luckily it only needed a few tweaks.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, Chamby said:

Indeed at least one other was outshopped from Darlington with the same lining above the front buffer beam  Yeadon’s Register vol 6, page 7, shows 1013 also with this feature so it may have been a small batch.  1013 was outshopped in December 1946 (just one month before 1016). 

Morning Phil,

I would not be surprised if the batch of engines, 1010 to 1039, turned out by Darlington in 1946, were all lined out in the same manner.

Darlington had a habit of doing things it's own way, The riveted tenders with separate coping plates and the refurbished tenders coupled to 1010, 1011, 1038 and 1039 would mean that none of this batch can be represented by the Hornby model without quite a bit of modification.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi Paul. I presume it is very different to VB6 which is used on mine. (I wrote it in VB4, upped it to VB5 and until yesterday never managed to get it working in VB6). I'm really out of practice with it  and wouldn't have managed to rewrite it now (without some serious revision). Luckily it only needed a few tweaks.

Hi

Its similar enough to copy the code from VB6 and then fix the syntactical errors but I would probably start again if I was doing this.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

On Buckingham, at Grandborough Junction, as soon as a down non stopping train is offered and accepted (from the fiddle yard) it has to be offered to Buckingham as the electrical switches on the signals at GJ put the Buckingham controller on the track. If the signals are not pulled at GJ to allow it to run through, it doesn't go at all. I had often wondered how close to prototype practice that aspect was.

A train stopping at Grandborough is run on the GJ controller and is offered to Buckingham once it has stopped there.

We do not usually call attention for the 2 or the 2-1 bells but then again, I learned bells on a GWR layout. The Peter Denny written instructions don't mention calling attention for them, so we are happy to go with that.

Hi Tony. Yes I thought that was the case. It's one of the things I'll have to change to get it working more as per the prototype. At the moment, it picks up trains from the working timetable (database) and the boxes each side offer the trains. When accepted the line is set to clear. But I don't offer the train on to the next box until I get a train entering section from the originating box. It would only be at the point when train is accepted at the next box that the layout signals would be pulled off. The nice thing about it is that when the trains arrive, I've got them picking up sound from selected from another database of authentic sounds (many from the Nottingham-Derby Friargate line). Oh, and the bell noises are samples of Kimberley signal box bells. I'm hoping to use it fully to operate my layout in conjunction with the layout's levers/signals when they're all finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

This has me thinking. Isn't time a Castle was seen running through LB?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/5375154070

Mike Wiltshire

It's already happened, Mike,

A long time ago, mind................

Castle.jpg.f1c92dff3b80fdd4c50935e839e49b73.jpg

It belongs to Westerner (Alan), and I think it's a modified Hornby item.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

At the Warley Show, there was a stand selling loads of unmade kits, some of quite an age.

One friend considered some of them to be of 'dubious' quality. 

Anyway, here's one...................

1983326954_McGowanB12301.jpg.a7716c490191f6bb4bad615ca6fa5b05.jpg

An old McGowan B12/3. It can't be that old, because it came with a rather nice, fully-detailed etched set of frames (along with the useless cast metal ones as well). There's also a rather nice set of etches for the original valances (not that I need those). 

Of course, it's a bit outdated by today's standards, and I've just worked out how much it's cost me in total. The kit wasn't expensive, so by the time wheels/motor/gearbox have been factored-in, it's about £110.00 complete.

Now, what does a fully-finished, latest Hornby B12/3 cost? More than that I'd expect. 

Which set me thinking................ So far, this is about ten hours' work to reach this stage. It runs well and is very powerful, and, so far, all has gone well. With the 'enjoyment' in making this factored-in, I now think it's exceptional value for money. How does one quantify the pleasure/cost when making a loco? No doubt, all told, even if it's painted professionally, it won't be as good as a Hornby RTR B12/3. However, in my case, so what? I always put a far greater value on things which have been personally-made, way over acquisitions. 

A personal point of view, of course............

This means there are now only 27 loco kits to be started. I'd better get some more! 

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Of course, it's a bit outdated by today's standards, and I've just worked out how much it's cost me in total. The kit wasn't expensive, so by the time wheels/motor/gearbox have been factored-in, it's about £110.00 complete.

But it still looks better than the pre-New Tooling Hornby B12/3s and there's the added bonus of not having any fiddly valve gear to construct!

Edited by Hroth
fingers in a twist...
  • Thanks 1

So  Tony, allowing for your present work rate to continue unabated,  stash of kits should be built in just over six months!  Wish I could build at that rate!  The calculation only came into my head because at Sleaford club on Wednesday night we of the Bantry group were asked will it be ready for a May debut? No of weeks x  hours in the evening = less than a week. Do they still sell Midnight Oil at hardware shops?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Headstock said:

I would not be surprised if the batch of engines, 1010 to 1039, turned out by Darlington in 1946, were all lined out in the same manner.

There's a photo of 1018 in 'LNER Locomotives in Colour 1936-1948' (White &  Johnston, Colourpoint, 2002) evidently taken when it was still only a few months old.  Red lining on the outer face of the frame extensions, but not on the area where the front apron rises up to the running plate.

D