Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

10 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

My main modelling achievements this year were a couple of 4-4-0s of very different parentage, not to mention different construction methods.

bird14.jpg

This Bird was plastic and etched brass, being based around the Airfix City of Truro.

Whereas this Wainwright E1 was white metal with enormous brass frames.

E1.jpg

She's still at this stage as I'm awaiting decals.

I also built a few coaches, including this LSWR brake which is now finished apart from painting:

lswr1.jpg

A lot of my modelling in any given year is tinkering with previous years' projects, some of which grind on forever. Such as this 8 car Western Pullman set:

bp1.jpg.289ea492e381dd982f811e6fdbfe808c.jpg

This owes nothing to the Bachmann model, which was announced long after I started this albatross. Every year I seem to spend a few weeks adding something to it, before it goes  back in the box for another year. The latest task has been to add DCC and lights to all cars - but at the moment I'm only half way there. The pickups are all home-made.

And, much of my modelling has been non-railway related, such as this Sea King, built from a famously difficult Airfix kit:

seaking2.jpg

Thanks to Tony and all the contributors for their inspiration and brilliant modelling throughout 2019.

Al

Great work, Al,

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 31A said:

On the subject of things done this year, here are some of mine.  Time flies, and on looking through the photos I realised that several things I thought I'd only just done, were in fact done last year or earlier!

I made several vans from kits; the LNER-designed BZ from the nickel silver / brass kit by Ian MacDonald was probably the most interesting and enjoyable build:

P1020994.jpg.3cb606cb2738142d36b68ad210d13980.jpg

Another 'parcels van', and interesting build, was the LNER BY from the plastic kit by Chivers Finelines which I was able to obtain unexpectedly from a fellow RMWebber:

P1030010.jpg.61db111b3417fd111ee57093d343ab56.jpg

And a 'freebie' from the cover of Railway Modeller:

P1020960.jpg.28cdf4c87508052ee5f8168b52b3abf3.jpg

I built these two Gresley Second Opens for Gilbert's "Peterborough North" layout, using Comet sides on Hornby donors:

P1030001.jpg.6b0f5e9504270606a6de1289b7a1b9a0.jpg

And for my own layout, a couple of infrastructure items.  This signal is the platform 4 starter.

P1020968.jpg.f834496a31c77ccc27fc7eeee567bfdb.jpg

And this coaling plant is from a nickel silver kit by Walsworth Models.  I'd had it in store for many years and its time had come.  It was interesting to build; the nickel silver made soldering a delight, but being reduced from 7mm scale made some of the pieces very fiddly, and quite a bit of research of photos of the real things was necessary when it came to detailing.

P1030019.jpg.71c7ef0f188f742a13533353323a09fc.jpg

At the moment it is still in the Halford's grey primer, but if anyone can tell me what colour BR (or the LNER for that matter) painted the real ones, I'd be interested to know.  My own feeling is grey is probably right (and then they turned black from coal dust), but the kit's instructions said black but the picture of the finished model showed dark green, and I have also seen models which the builder had painted green.

Great work, Steve,

Thanks for showing us all.

What a builders' thread this is. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Apologies for using this picture again, but I've just noticed something..............................

1210936327_trainspotters01.jpg.9c61dbbea33406592c8609324d59b207.jpg

When I arranged the insulators on one of the main telegraph poles on LB, I fitted some 'upside down'. At the time, a few commentators were critical of this. Obviously, they're not 'upside down', but the appearance, in silhouette, gives that sort of impression. The insulators are actually fitted on 'swan-necked' brackets, fixed to the front/back of the cross-rails, not the top. 

Someone suggested I make some 90 of these weeny swan-necks. Really? 

603336093_LBreplacement01.jpg.32da9411b6ba57251be6c58a16345c92.jpg

This shot is in the current RM. I'll have to make the lower section of the poll thicker, though the effect of the insulators appearing to be 'upside down' is clear enough I think.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The swan necks you are referring too are actually Spindle Number 12:

spindle 12.pdf

Also you have to be careful with open wires on poles, a lot of terminating poles were double armed (ie an arm on both sides of the pole) for added strength.

Here is some interesting info from the GPO about poles, which is more or less the standards which the railways would use:

lines ovhead C3501 arming poles.pdf

line ovhead C3251 A and H poles.pdf

line ovhead C3301 terminal and distribution poles.pdf

Line Overhead C3512 Arming, misc brackets.pdf

Line ovhead C3552 arming of wood poles.pdf

That little lot should ensure some good sleep levels!

Andy G

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing to remember is that the vast majority of colour photos were taken from the late 1950s onwards, At that time, steam was on the way out and cleaning standards were on the way down. However, seeing those colour photos did make me think about one aspect (signalling joke there folks!) of the weathering.

Seeing that bracket GNR signal (how sad is it that I recognise it as being the shunt signals into Platforms 1 & 2 at Retford, reading from the up main and slow lines?!) reminds me of one I tried painting like hat. Even in GCR times, many signals had that overall filthy look. So I painted a signal an overall sooty grey, with just the spectacle glasses cleaned and put it on one of my layouts.

It looked dreadful.

A case of observing the prototype not producing a good model! It got repainted with the arm having visible red, white and black sections and the post got a good coat of "unweathering" and it looked much better but was less accurate.

Even the rural location of  Flying Scotsman approaching the Forth Bridge shows that signal posts, at least, were rarely white unless they had just been repainted.

Has anybody ever been brave enough to paint a signal that sort of colour on a layout?

1 hour ago, 31A said:

And this coaling plant is from a nickel silver kit by Walsworth Models.  I'd had it in store for many years and its time had come.  It was interesting to build; the nickel silver made soldering a delight, but being reduced from 7mm scale made some of the pieces very fiddly, and quite a bit of research of photos of the real things was necessary when it came to detailing.

At the moment it is still in the Halford's grey primer, but if anyone can tell me what colour BR (or the LNER for that matter) painted the real ones, I'd be interested to know.  My own feeling is grey is probably right (and then they turned black from coal dust), but the kit's instructions said black but the picture of the finished model showed dark green, and I have also seen models which the builder had painted green.

Hi Steve,

From information originally put on line by the LNEEG and taken from the 1937 LNER Schedule of Colours, the following examples were listed:

Bridge Girders & Handrails - Graphite and Oxide (Brown) or Tar Paint according to situation & circumstances

Footbridge (Iron & Steel) - Graphite Green or Graphite and Oxide

Water Tanks - Graphite and Oxide or Graphite Green

Engine / Wagon Turntables - Graphite and Oxide (Brown) or Tar Paint

Crane (Warehouse / Wharf) - Dark Brown BSS 12

Crane (Goliath) - Dark Brown BSS 12

In all instances given for ironwork, grey is not a colour that appears!

Edited by SP Steve
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

……. how sad is it that I recognise it as being the shunt signals into Platforms 1 & 2 at Retford, reading from the up main and

Tony, after the time we have spent exposed to Retford in recent years, both in model form and in pictures, maps etc looking for some elusive detail, not to mention tales from Roy, I think we ought to be ashamed if we didn't recognise Retford when we see it!!

Pete

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

One thing to remember is that the vast majority of colour photos were taken from the late 1950s onwards, At that time, steam was on the way out and cleaning standards were on the way down. However, seeing those colour photos did make me think about one aspect (signalling joke there folks!) of the weathering.

Seeing that bracket GNR signal (how sad is it that I recognise it as being the shunt signals into Platforms 1 & 2 at Retford, reading from the up main and slow lines?!) reminds me of one I tried painting like hat. Even in GCR times, many signals had that overall filthy look. So I painted a signal an overall sooty grey, with just the spectacle glasses cleaned and put it on one of my layouts.

It looked dreadful.

A case of observing the prototype not producing a good model! It got repainted with the arm having visible red, white and black sections and the post got a good coat of "unweathering" and it looked much better but was less accurate.

Even the rural location of  Flying Scotsman approaching the Forth Bridge shows that signal posts, at least, were rarely white unless they had just been repainted.

Has anybody ever been brave enough to paint a signal that sort of colour on a layout?

Thanks (as usual), Tony,

The signals on Little Bytham have all been weathered (slightly), though none to the extent of that overall black on the lovely GNR bracket. Interestingly, when I took its picture (in 1965, as a background to a Deltic racing through non-stop) it wasn't near as as dirty as in the two pictures (there was still a smattering of steam, though). In fact, it looked like it had not long been repainted! I wonder how long it lasted?

Apologies for the poor-quality scan.............

1380269830_GNRsignalsmall.jpg.f7dec6711468572bc2aabc2b1907ce97.jpg

What a fantastic scene (I'm not praising my picture), from just over 54 years ago. Britain's fastest and most-powerful diesel loco running at speed on a steam-age infrastructure, with some signals dating from pre-Grouping days (at least 43 years before - probably more). As the great man used to say 'Just crying out to be modelled', which he did.

Despite claims from the less-nostalgic, if one took such a picture today (actually impossible, because I'm standing on what is now the Up fast) what a dreary thing it would be. Not dreary because of a lack of dazzling rolling stock colours, but a totally-sanitised panorama, devoid of modelling interest (at least to me). OVLE infesting everywhere, tracks rationalised to all but the running lines and of absolutely no interest to trainspotters. Discuss. 

In the picture of the A3 entering Retford from the south, the means of reaching the heights of 'The Wall' is evident - the marvellous GNR somersault backing signal on Platform 1. Its ladder was the way up. In all the hours/days I spent 'spotting at Retford, I never saw it used. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As it the end of year show and tell session suppose I better join in.

Well I seem to have started lots but not finished anything. As the layout stock etc. are all aimed to be finished on my 70th birthday this year has been getting the basics done and seeing if it works. Here are a few examples of what I have been messing around with.

100_5584a.jpg.ef15d3f0c0d9a1d39b17a2b497ee713a.jpg

This is a mock up of the scenic break, hopefully it will represent a busy city goods shed. 

100_5682a.jpg.29c4e60f4978d6b75de478407de85ea8.jpg

This is the coach in the other photo, it is an inspection saloon, one of three built for the WR to a Mk1 coach design. It used up spare parts from last years DMU conversions using Tri-ang parts.

100_5698d.jpg.7aed5fc05f501410962ea23426dfa6be.jpg

Another mock up, this time the concourse (well part of it), I want to place the viewer in the station hopefully this will help that illusion. On a pactical side if I made the whole concourse and the station building I wouldn't have free movement around the layout.

100_5768a.jpg.694702e2be6b4aed8d6b97f53ea47af3.jpg

Using a combination of Tri-ang and Trix parts I started a six car Glasgow to Edinburgh Swindon Inter-city unit. I do like long DMUs.

100_5799a.jpg.581a48870456d07f26cf0c101db7c237.jpg

At the start of the year I had not made the platforms, here are 8 DMUs ranging from a single car to an eight car train.

100_5802a.jpg.f8b7f08932ecdc4f6e8ac01d9cd9f336.jpg

My first attempt at an LNER coach, a GE section 52 ft BSK from the Hornby "shortie" railroad coaches. This takes us to half way through the year, more to come.

A long with my modelling I have been enjoying running trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHAxHNZICI8

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

36 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Despite claims from the less-nostalgic, if one took such a picture today (actually impossible, because I'm standing on what is now the Up fast) what a dreary thing it would be. Not dreary because of a lack of dazzling rolling stock colours, but a totally-sanitised panorama, devoid of modelling interest (at least to me). OVLE infesting everywhere, tracks rationalised to all but the running lines and of absolutely no interest to trainspotters. Discuss. 

Tony.

There a whole thread devoted to the very late steam / early BR Blue era, lots of interesting photos from lots of posters (mainly in the North West as that is where steam ended, bit of Southern main line also.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52572-why-is-this-so-rarely-modelled/page/21/

These are comments I posted on the above thread back in 2013 to concur with Tonys statement above.

Back then there was an interesting infrastructure mix. Buildings and signals etc from the pre-grouping, big four influence everywhere and the swank new electrics, Mk 2 coaches and repainted diesels in the Blue / Grey livery (which for me has not been bettered). It was EVERYWHERE also, literally, everywhere. Most places were busy also, still lots of trainload freight with the new block trains, 100t tanks, freightliners etc. This was the case also well after the demise of steam, up to the 80's, though it was in steady decline, as was my interest "in the real thing" back then. As for the current scene, apart from the colourful trains the scene is generally devoid of interest to me, though a visit by train to Liverpool last week gave me some optimism, as new overhead masts are starting to line the Wigan - Liverpool route. New infrastructure at last !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The late 60's were unique with the last gasps of steam mixed with the new blue, and all in between, we will never see such diversity on our railways again. It was, however, MY era, when I was coming of age. Probably not the best of times in many, many areas as Kenton remarked above, but it was a wonderful time for me (that's why I model it).

Yes today I also miss the semaphore signalling, signal boxes, many small tatty huts, complex tracks & junctions, sidings not overly overgrown most with stock in them, etc etc. But add to all the above, back in 66/7/8 the (then) refreshingly clean, bright and colourful new rail blue / blue grey - That's the era for me.

An era long gone.

Brit15

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SP Steve said:

Hi Steve,

From information originally put on line by the LNEEG and taken from the 1937 LNER Schedule of Colours, the following examples were listed:

Bridge Girders & Handrails - Graphite and Oxide (Brown) or Tar Paint according to situation & circumstances

Footbridge (Iron & Steel) - Graphite Green or Graphite and Oxide

Water Tanks - Graphite and Oxide or Graphite Green

Engine / Wagon Turntables - Graphite and Oxide (Brown) or Tar Paint

Crane (Warehouse / Wharf) - Dark Brown BSS 12

Crane (Goliath) - Dark Brown BSS 12

In all instances given for ironwork, grey is not a colour that appears!

Thank you Steve, that is very interesting.  Although none of the categories apply specifically to 'coaling plants'(!), it does seem as though green might be a possibility.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pete55 said:

Tony, after the time we have spent exposed to Retford in recent years, both in model form and in pictures, maps etc looking for some elusive detail, not to mention tales from Roy, I think we ought to be ashamed if we didn't recognise Retford when we see it!!

Pete

I instantly recognised the M&GNR crossing at Little Bytham while flicking through a very old copy of Railway Magazine - a credit to Tony's evocation of the scene.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I find OHLE scructualy interesting and certainly worthy of modelling interest. But then it is simply an infrastructure requirement of the traction type, just as in the steam era there were water cranes and water tanks infesting everywhere including platforms. Both are a necessary part of the appropriate railway scene.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yes back in 1973 the OHLE was energised on the WCML through Wigan. Steam had been gone 5 years, but even with the signal boxes gone (Warrington & Preston new power boxes) things were still interesting - BUT a definite sense everywhere of change - slow and relentless. Even the double headed D400'ers went !!

Clive - How do you cut your coach sides so squarely and neatly ?  I have a couple of O gauge freight cars awaiting the chop.

Brit15

1 hour ago, Iain.d said:

Here are a few of my builds for 2019:

A couple of Roxey Mouldings 50ft parcels / luggage vans. I think they're older than me!

1004770601_D1778M30401M.jpg.9abbe1be133ba72ea8e1069bd3423656.jpg

1760461220_D1778M30412M.jpg.44b8e0ed63dbad59a5f2abf4093cc7f9.jpg

There was a lot of fettling to these, the roofs and sides were difficult to get right - they're not perfect but they'll do. The under frames are scratch built as are the corridor connectors.

I've rebuilt about 9 or 10 old Airfix and Hornby LMS coaches with Comet overlays, scratch built under frames. The corridor connectors stick up but when they are coupled as a rake they provide a good level of pressure / tension between the coaches. A selection include this D1905, D2117 and D1968.

1849489511_D1905M5930M.jpg.d943f9f4b1291b8bdb3edab1c5e61c3e.jpg

1376129181_D2117M4878M.jpg.40e94e6f56c5ddf27bde2dfc4ad45c6b.jpg

1170451153_D1968M26409M.jpg.3ab6a6cf80e2cd9d02355642a3112a9a.jpg

Cheers, Iain

What beautiful work, Ian,

Thanks for showing us. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grahame said:

I find OHLE scructualy interesting and certainly worthy of modelling interest. But then it is simply an infrastructure requirement of the traction type, just as in the steam era there were water cranes and water tanks infesting everywhere including platforms. Both are a necessary part of the appropriate railway scene.

Good afternoon Grahame,

OHLE might be structurally-interesting, but it must be incredibly difficult to model, and also very vulnerable. 

My reference to 'infesting' is to how it makes real railway photography so difficult, especially if in an elevated position.

OK if one can get underneath, of course..................

37155083_Azuma01.jpg.889e5dd8ba78865b5e0fa6123b47b7d1.jpg

As has been mentioned before, in October I was invited to the announcement of the Wainwright D, and had an hour at York Station before setting off home. Not on this set, but an HST later. 

A modeller's nightmare making all this OHLE? 

There are only four main running lines now at this junction, and just one diamond towards Scarborough. There's also a fair bit of Mother Nature claiming back what once belonged to her. 

1756930685_A22atYorknorthend.jpg.daa07933fdb8023cc63fda1609c29594.jpg

1186792567_V2atYorknorthend.jpg.6fd0a70233512992ff31fa4d8cb359dd.jpg

Rather different from the past, in these (at least) 65 years ago shots. I know which I find the more-interesting! The trackwork is incredibly complex - and far more-difficult to model than today's arrangement.

839078979_V2atYork02.jpg.59cce05aa0f2220da925a6b04855f041.jpg

And a water crane 'infesting' that RH platform as well. And, at least eight diamonds, but no blades of grass or overgrown shrubs to be seen. What a wonderfully mixed train as well!

393418420_Class68approachingYork.jpg.f00e56021b893f540ea0577780c92bf0.jpg

Looking south, just two running lines visible today. 

1514577051_A3atYorksouthend.jpg.abb25c806ee6f6f98c42a9d6c4db39bc.jpg

Rather different from all those years ago! Mother Nature is 'behaving herself' here, unlike in the 'today' shot. 

220272473_6802603.jpg.5e4f740e6d27cbacb91a87a533c0f1ac.jpg

It's nice to see loco-hauled trains arriving from Scarborough still. 

157323297_B161Yorknorthend.jpg.1ec0e98562aad00a99604e88099a454e.jpg

But how much more-interesting is this? There are also boy 'spotters; something not seen today. Why not? They're not interested in the modern railway! Fact. 

1080473279_Yorkshed.jpg.396c848d181b1c92774168b75e506eba.jpg

Who knows, all those years ago they might have attempted to 'bunk' 50A. I can make out at least five different classes of locos here (there would have been many more). 

Look how the whole scene is 'infested' with all that paraphernalia! Wonderful.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Yes back in 1973 the OHLE was energised on the WCML through Wigan. Steam had been gone 5 years, but even with the signal boxes gone (Warrington & Preston new power boxes) things were still interesting - BUT a definite sense everywhere of change - slow and relentless. Even the double headed D400'ers went !!

Clive - How do you cut your coach sides so squarely and neatly ?  I have a couple of O gauge freight cars awaiting the chop.

Brit15

Hi Brit 15

Cutting square, by luck more than anything. I do mark out using a square, and when cutting with my craft knife I make sure the cut is parallel with the vertical edges of the doors and windows. Before assembly I do make sure all burrs are removed and do a check of squareness, if slightly out filler will be of assistance. When I bung it altogether I use the bottom edge of the main windows as a datum , a wonky top and or bottom can be rectified wibbly wobbly windies  will always look like wibbly wobbly windies. LNER wooden coaches are great as all that beading is nice a square so I have a guide to work to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1