Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The RTR world has a big element of pre-ordering, to avoid missing out. Many models seem to appear and be sold out very quickly. Anybody pre-ordering a model and finding it faulty when it arrives (and I would think the wrong livery counts as faulty) could repaint it but sending them back does make it a problem for the maker not the purchaser.

I don't know that the new LMS van is much better than the old Airfix one. The plank lines look very poor and it looks more like a tongue and groove log cabin finish than the fine plank joins on the real thing. You could do some detailing on the Airfix one and it looked really good. I don't know how I would correct the planks on the new one.

Are you saying that the rendition of the planking is better on the old Airfix LMS 'van, Tony?

I honestly don't know if I've got one on LB. I'll look, and take a comparative picture if I have.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jrg1 said:

I certainly am! I have constructed the model using 3D prints produced by a colleague, from photographs by Lawson Little and the Phil Shaw drawing.  Edwinstowe is being built for the LDEC Sutton extension, and will Include Ollerton water tower, and a standard goods shed.  I would like to build an island platform building, but do not have a suitable side elevation, so any information would be most helpful.  

I can forward my files if you are interested.

In training I ride the LD trackbed east of Tuxford regularly, if any of the existing buildings or bridges are of interest I can photograph them, this is a good time of year for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Once upon a time, people would have bought some paint and transfers and repaint them. That thread seems to demonstrate the unwillingness to do anything for oneself. By sending them back, people are just depriving themselves of a superb new model of a prototype previously unavailable in RTR.

Unfortunately even for those  who would consider such modelling the act of  getting the correct paint and transfers these days, makes it far more problematic. No longer a case as many of us know to get them at your local model shop! The southern version should be a chocolate brown rather than this bauxite shade. Pre-orders definitely compound these sorts of issues and aren’t like to go away.

4 hours ago, grahame said:

Odd that they need to send them back. Do folk no longer look at what they are buying and think 'hang on that's not the colour I want' and decide not to procede with the purchase? ;-)

Alternatively, they could buy on the understanding that they need to repaint. But I guess that will need some modelling effort.

I think folks bought them expecting the livery of the actual model to be correct even though the computer renderings of the forthcoming model weren't accurate. It's beyond me how they got it so wrong. 

I don't see why anybody should expect to have to repaint a brand new model that should have been supplied in the correct livery in the first place. 

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PMP said:

Unfortunately even for those  who would consider such modelling the act of  getting the correct paint and transfers these days, makes it far more problematic. No longer a case as many of us know to get them at your local model shop! The southern version should be a chocolate brown rather than this bauxite shade. Pre-orders definitely compound these sorts of issues and aren’t like to go away.

I am often confined to home and in any case, don't have a model shop close  by. I rely on internet purchasing and have never had a problem sourcing paint, transfers or anything else. 

Regarding colour, I remember a preserved SR pillbox brake van at, i think, the Bluebell a few years ago. It hasn't been painted for a while and the paint had faded to a colour similar to that depicted by Hornby. I doubt they remained dark brown for long in SR days either.

Edited by Denbridge
Missed word

Any level of fading or weathering would need to be consistently applied to all parts of the model, as it is the livery is depicting ex-works condition. I think people are right to return them, without doing so where is the onus on Hornby to correct their mistake or to ensure the same issue doesn't occur on other future models.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Are you saying that the rendition of the planking is better on the old Airfix LMS 'van, Tony?

I honestly don't know if I've got one on LB. I'll look, and take a comparative picture if I have.

Regards,

Tony. 

My Airfix LMS brake van ended up on Retford and is presently wrapped up with dozens of wagons in a box in the loft, so it is a bit hard to check but my recollection is that the plank lines were thinner and therefore more like the real ones.

I am sure one of the "Wright Writes" regulars will be able to help us out.

24 minutes ago, Anglian said:

I think folks bought them expecting the livery of the actual model to be correct even though the computer renderings of the forthcoming model weren't accurate. 

And you know what thought (expectation) did? It pays to check before parting with cash.

Dear All,

I would be happy to repaint and/or renumber a piece of RTR to suit my needs. However I would be disappointed ☹️ if I had to repaint and renumber just because the item was painted incorrectly in the first place.  In the end I suppose I would  reluctantly make the purchase.

I have in the past waited for a particular model to be re-released in the hope that any deficiencies are rectified.

When Bachmann announced the black LNER K3 I was delighted. It’s one of my favourite loco. (I’ve even got a kit of it and  the chassis is built with a Poterscap motor however my experience with red lining transfers meant that the model was placed at the bottom of the to do list.)  When the Bachmann model appeared, the red lining was almost none existent, so I waited. Eventually it’s was re-released with the correct lining. In the meantime I bought the post-war LNER green version, doesn’t fit in with any of my other models but does look good.

I remember a couple of years ago Dapol produced an LNER A3 in N gauge. The cab side number was if I remember correctly  far too small and I remember a reviewer suggesting that the purchaser could easily rectify the defect. That’s true, but having spent over £100 I would think twice about removing the numbers. I’ll willingly do it to a black loco and if I go too deep in to the paint to expose the plastic it’s easy to cover up. But with LNER green the chance of messing up and having to do a bit of touching up would be too great for me.

Regards Eric

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

I am often confined to home and in any case, don't have a model shop close  by. I rely on internet purchasing and have never had a problem sourcing paint, transfers or anything else. 

You’re quite lucky if you’ve not experienced issues with paint and glue supplies via postal services. If they are declared as being in a shipment, (uk domestic or overseas) then procedurally it can get quite difficult. On the matter of repaints, here’s one I did earlier, the original here https://railsofsheffield.com/products/32321/Hornby-r6823-oo-gauge-gwr-20-ton-goods-brake-van-toad-rogerstone-56686- and the repaint as below.

1552FDF2-C703-4941-8F08-D2DF8AA802F7.jpeg

59AC8D99-357B-433D-85EE-FAB31D1FE2A9.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

16 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Dear All,

I would be happy to repaint and/or renumber a piece of RTR to suit my needs. However I would be disappointed ☹️ if I had to repaint and renumber just because the item was painted incorrectly in the first place.  In the end I suppose I would  reluctantly make the purchase.

I have in the past waited for a particular model to be re-released in the hope that any deficiencies are rectified.

When Bachmann announced the black LNER K3 I was delighted. It’s one of my favourite loco. (I’ve even got a kit of it and  the chassis is built with a Poterscap motor however my experience with red lining transfers meant that the model was placed at the bottom of the to do list.)  When the Bachmann model appeared, the red lining was almost none existent, so I waited. Eventually it’s was re-released with the correct lining. In the meantime I bought the post-war LNER green version, doesn’t fit in with any of my other models but does look good.

I remember a couple of years ago Dapol produced an LNER A3 in N gauge. The cab side number was if I remember correctly  far too small and I remember a reviewer suggesting that the purchaser could easily rectify the defect. That’s true, but having spent over £100 I would think twice about removing the numbers. I’ll willingly do it to a black loco and if I go too deep in to the paint to expose the plastic it’s easy to cover up. But with LNER green the chance of messing up and having to do a bit of touching up would be too great for me.

Regards Eric

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I well remember that if a suitable model was ever released, one had no option but to repaint it should you wish the livery to be correct. That is, of course after removing and replacing all the moulded detailing, rewheeling or perhaps a new chassis. Model Railways have come on in leaps and bounds, with fantastic detail at incredibly cheap prices in real terms. Perhaps as has been postulated on here many times, it is to the detriment of the creative aspects of this wonderful hobby.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 04/01/2020 at 13:31, Tony Wright said:

Here's one I conveniently had to hand.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PMP said:

You’re quite lucky if you’ve not experienced issues with paint and glue supplies via postal services. If they are declared as being in a shipment, (uk domestic or overseas) then procedurally it can get quite difficult. On the matter of repaints, here’s one I did earlier, the original here https://railsofsheffield.com/products/32321/Hornby-r6823-oo-gauge-gwr-20-ton-goods-brake-van-toad-rogerstone-56686- and the repaint as below.

1552FDF2-C703-4941-8F08-D2DF8AA802F7.jpeg

59AC8D99-357B-433D-85EE-FAB31D1FE2A9.jpeg

My last order for paints was around 6-9 months ago from Howes,  I think. I've ordered paints flux etc, several times from various suppliers including eBay. Never had a problem. Thankfully.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

But was that via a courier or was the retailer breaking the law....

Jason

Honestly can't recall my last order. 6 months may as well be a lifetime. But I do know I've received parcels/packages both by courier and RM.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, PMP said:

Dunno about regular, however with the caveat that some modelling has been applied, here’s an Airfix van. Handrails, Shawplan windows, Rumney lamp brackets have been applied, as have brake pull rods. Wheels are Gibson’s and the chassis foot rail supports have all been significantly modified.

A46582EC-E8D3-47B0-BEF4-5DCD12D94951.jpeg

0A578722-7EDC-4C1E-ABC9-0373AB07F508.jpeg

Nice! To me the planking looks better and the detailing and weathering has made it into a very fine model.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's one I did earier; several years ago in fact.

Over the years I've modified three of the "Airfix" LMS brake vans.  In each case, I replaced the overly thick roof with a new one from 20 thou.  Plastikard, and replaced the thick lower step board hangers with ones made from thin metal strip (alloy cut from a drinks can).  I have also glazed the partitions and lookouts.  On the one in the picture, I've also added the 'weight box' below the solebar.  

An area where the old "Airfix" van is quite poor is the way the axleguards / brake shoes / lower step boards meet in a moulded lump; I've never been brave enough to attack this.  Also, I've never replaced the moulded handrails, as these are very neatly moulded.  Which is not to say the new ones aren't good, too (subject to the earlier proviso re. tendency to bow)  Another area where the "Airfix" van falls down is the join between body end and headstock, which should be flush.

I did wonder last night whether there'd be any mileage in putting the underframe from the new Hornby model under the old "Airfix" body, as the underframe in particular seems a big improvement!

801371468_P1000168RMweb.jpg.ff162c36603205e1ea4cf27a68eb772f.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 31A said:

Here's one I did earier; several years ago in fact.

Over the years I've modified three of the "Airfix" LMS brake vans.  In each case, I replaced the overly thick roof with a new one from 20 thou.  Plastikard,801371468_P1000168RMweb.jpg.ff162c36603205e1ea4cf27a68eb772f.jpg

That new roof makes a big difference, a task for the list!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I well remember that if a suitable model was ever released, one had no option but to repaint it should you wish the livery to be correct. That is, of course after removing and replacing all the moulded detailing, rewheeling or perhaps a new chassis. Model Railways have come on in leaps and bounds, with fantastic detail at incredibly cheap prices in real terms. Perhaps as has been postulated on here many times, it is to the detriment of the creative aspects of this wonderful hobby.

I remember buying the Hornby b12 in the mid 70s with money received for my birthday. I almost immediately took a knife to it to remove the hand rails. Made a complete mess of it, Dad was real mad that I’d ‘wasted’ the model. 
Next I did a similar thing with the then recently released Mainline Peak with respect to the full length rain strip. I then proceeded to remove the moulded on name plate and decided to repaint the whole thing.(Admittedly the green was a very odd shade). What a mess!

My point is that this type of model was par for course in those days. The poor shade of paint in the current discussion is avoidable and I shouldn’t have to spend time correcting this. 

Here’s the first successful conversation I did, from an article a magazine. I did it in the 80s but replaced the chassis a few years ago. Can’t remember the magazines name, but they did a few articles on conversations. One other that I fancied was to convert the  Airfix 4F into an LNER J11/3. Regards Ericimage.jpg.5f3f21c0f7cd710c432588a0528a8233.jpg

Edited by Erichill16
Add last paragraph and photo
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, PMP said:

Dunno about regular, however with the caveat that some modelling has been applied, here’s an Airfix van. Handrails, Shawplan windows, Rumney lamp brackets have been applied, as have brake pull rods. Wheels are Gibson’s and the chassis foot rail supports have all been significantly modified.

A46582EC-E8D3-47B0-BEF4-5DCD12D94951.jpeg

0A578722-7EDC-4C1E-ABC9-0373AB07F508.jpeg

It looks a lovely model, Paul.

Thanks for showing us.

I have to say I can't detect any difference between the planking on this and on the latest one.

One question regards the couplings. I know yours is in later guise, but for a fitted (or piped) 'van, shouldn't the couplings be screw shackles rather than the 'Instanta' type? Or three-link? 

I'm going to detail/weather the LMS vans, and I'm going to fit screw couplings on the fitted one. 

Regards,

Tony. 

2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I think you're right in that the current crop of RTR stock is one aspect of railway modelling that is turning folks away from building their own. However, an alternative view is that those of a creative mindset will be directing their time elsewhere to address other aspects of railway modelling, perhaps to a higher standard than may be the case if they had needed to build rolling stock as well.

As an example, Tony has poured a lifetime into building locomotives and coaching stock. A. N. Other modeller may spend the same amount of time building baseboards, track, buildings and trees from raw materials and components but make much use of RTR stock. Both are very much railway modellers, in the truest sense of the word, they just choose to focus on different aspects of the whole.

I think modellers like Peter Denny who built every element of his entire layout from raw materials and I presume some components, have always been a rare breed. 

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Off the web - Airfix kit - a fine model for two bob !!

image.png.04b9e7023426593b97f696fbf4d80ec6.png

image.png.0b3e33bde2a4f76053dadb9ea79fc1d3.png

As good as 'owt else RTR I'd say.

Brit15

The plank detail on that is finer than the Bachmann RTR version, in fact the fact that I already had one of those put me off buying a Bachmann one as I thought it looked quite crude in comparison, but it's another brake van model that benefits from having its roof replaced with something thinner, and in this case also some decent ventilators on the roof.

• Like 1