Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

14 minutes ago, great northern said:

Those who also frequent my thread know my propensity for plonking the camera down in order to try to get infrastructure views which aren't normally seen. The small Canon G12 can get to places on LB that Tony's much better but also bigger camera can't, which is why I asked permission to have a go. This is the kind of thing I like to try.

7_LB_7.JPG.665d47a4b33c461bce467a784ef93c15.JPG

It also shows the quality of the scenic side of the layout, which can be overlooked when concentrating on the procession of lovely trains.

Thanks Gilbert,

You're certainly getting some excellent candid shots.

One thing this picture does show is the crudity of some of the cast-metal figures I've used. Isabel's mum looks like she's wearing boxing gloves, complete with Mike Tyson shoulders! The camera certainly reveals such lumpiness. Fortunately, figures provided by friends have been far better. 

I think what I'll do is to try and reproduce the pictures you've taken, but with my much-bigger camera. I certainly won't be able to recreate every one (space restrictions), but it might make an interesting comparison. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Gilbert,

You're certainly getting some excellent candid shots.

One thing this picture does show is the crudity of some of the cast-metal figures I've used. Isabel's mum looks like she's wearing boxing gloves, complete with Mike Tyson shoulders! The camera certainly reveals such lumpiness. Fortunately, figures provided by friends have been far better. 

I think what I'll do is to try and reproduce the pictures you've taken, but with my much-bigger camera. I certainly won't be able to recreate every one (space restrictions), but it might make an interesting comparison. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Figures are the biggest problem on any layout in my opinion Tony. Even the very best somehow don't look quite right to me.

As I've said before, my photographic skills are strictly limited, so I probably don't get the best out of my camera, but within its, and my, limitiations, I enjoy trying.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Figures are the biggest problem on any layout in my opinion Tony. Even the very best somehow don't look quite right to me.

As I've said before, my photographic skills are strictly limited, so I probably don't get the best out of my camera, but within its, and my, limitiations, I enjoy trying.

Gilbert

You may think that your photographic skills are limited, but you still manage to produce excellent photos, whoever's model you are shooting.

Tony

I do like the point rodding on your photos a few days ago. It looks very good, and really adds to Little Bytham. I wonder if anyone has ever produced working point rodding? I remember a long time ago trying a system that used a signal box frame with wire in tube to operate points.

Lloyd

20 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I wonder if anyone has ever produced working point rodding? I remember a long time ago trying a system that used a signal box frame with wire in tube to operate points.

Lloyd

DCC Concepts do working point rodding. 

Edited by johndon

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I do like the point rodding on your photos a few days ago. It looks very good, and really adds to Little Bytham. I wonder if anyone has ever produced working point rodding? I remember a long time ago trying a system that used a signal box frame with wire in tube to operate points.

Ray Hammond (past Chairman of the S4 Soc?)  constructed a layout to 'pure' S4 Standards (not to be confused with the much more common P4 Standards) called Buntingham, which features working point rodding and trackwork construction standards which are truly scaled down from the prototype; I believe Ray did this in order to prove those who said it couldn't be done were wrong ;).  (I believe the layout is still alive and well, despite being constructed in the mid 70's).  MRJ Issue 49 may well contain a feature on the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Ray Hammond (past Chairman of the S4 Soc?)  constructed a layout to 'pure' S4 Standards (not to be confused with the much more common P4 Standards) called Buntingham, which features working point rodding and trackwork construction standards which are truly scaled down from the prototype; I believe Ray did this in order to prove those who said it couldn't be done were wrong ;).  (I believe the layout is still alive and well, despite being constructed in the mid 70's).  MRJ Issue 49 may well contain a feature on the layout.

Ray's earlier Embridge layout (in EM, funnily enough) also had working point rodding.

Out of (possible) interest, I've taken some similar shots to the three already posted on here by Gilbert. 

The angles aren't quite the same (my camera is massive in comparison), but I could get it more or less into the same space as Gilbert's. 

1036136852_Gilbertview01.jpg.af1626ca6ace63fafd86c84d321f1fb9.jpg

1052886559_Gilbertview02.jpg.a0747efd4c31dd3d0a8b5b6fd5bafb17.jpg

1357652045_Gilbertview03.jpg.44e72371e629e48f89714544fc11da23.jpg

It'll be interesting to see what he's got in really tight spaces, which prohibits my camera.....

Two friends from the Preston Club came today. Astonishingly, I managed to run LB for them without any cock-ups!

They brought with them some most-interesting models.....

100090253_DJHAusteritybuilderunknown.jpg.7a5f341b38edb579905c1c6876895fe8.jpg

A DJH Austerity; builder unknown.

827291374_DMRK1builderunknown.jpg.d2de943894dc45679a49b65a708dda36.jpg

A DMR K1; again, builder unknown. 

1082176732_JapaneseCrab01.jpg.61ffc6a285d0f0b1c61cb56cae3d686f.jpg

777116382_JapaneseCrab02.jpg.0ade6683d657894d56ada557d236735d.jpg

And a Japanese brass Crab from 60 years ago, this example painted by Larry Goddard 18 years ago. 

What I found incredible was that all three of these locos were bought off ebay or at shows for under £150.00 each!

The K1 ran superbly, and the Crab's running was adequate, if a little jerky. The Austerities running was poor (even though it's Portescap-powered), and it struggled with a loaded coal train. It just needs a tweak or two and it should be fine.

I suggested that the 'overlay' wheels on the Austerity be replaced by Markits proper ones, and the K1 lacks a principal electrical conduit. However, for what these cost, someone (or more than one) has taken a loss. 

Thanks Ian and Tony for a most-enjoyable day.

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

..... and therein - for me at least - lies a source of potential stress.

I have learned to regard the money that I spend on model railways as the price of the enjoyment that they give me; that investment is immediately written-off.

I have impressed upon my family that they must not, on any account, regard the disposal, post mortem, of my model railway assets as an exercise in recouping my expenditure. Were they to do this, it would be a chore which would diminish the pleasure that they have afforded me. If I dispose of model railway assets during my lifetime, it will be merely a process of realising whatever the market currently offers - and if that is a fraction of my original investment, so be it.

It does bother me that, in accumulating quantities of what others may well regard as 'expensive clutter', I am condemning those who remain hereafter to the unwonted task of disposal; all I can do is try and anticipate my eventual departure, and at least start the disposal process whilst I still have my faculties.

A little morbid, perhaps, but worth considering - if only for the family's sake.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

just get a pre mortem call in to Tony 'the Executor' Wright for post mortem disposal

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I have learned to regard the money that I spend on model railways as the price of the enjoyment that they give me; that investment is immediately written-off.

I have impressed upon my family that they must not, on any account, regard the disposal, post mortem, of my model railway assets as an exercise in recouping my expenditure. Were they to do this, it would be a chore which would diminish the pleasure that they have afforded me. If I dispose of model railway assets during my lifetime, it will be merely a process of realising whatever the market currently offers - and if that is a fraction of my original investment, so be it.

It does bother me that, in accumulating quantities of what others may well regard as 'expensive clutter', I am condemning those who remain hereafter to the unwonted task of disposal; all I can do is try and anticipate my eventual departure, and at least start the disposal process whilst I still have my faculties.

A little morbid, perhaps, but worth considering - if only for the family's sake.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Wise words.  If anyone is partaking in a hobby with the expectation that it must make them a profit, then that person does not really understand what a hobby is.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Perfectly put-couldn't have said better myself.

Regarding the Japanese "Crab".  ( the locomotive that is, not the Sushi ).  If not already done, I would suggest replacing the (likely) decades old magnet on the (likely) open frame motor with a stack of neodymium magnets. It should cause a considerable operating improvement.

Andy

15 minutes ago, Andy Reichert said:

Regarding the Japanese "Crab".  ( the locomotive that is, not the Sushi ).  If not already done, I would suggest replacing the (likely) decades old magnet on the (likely) open frame motor with a stack of neodymium magnets. It should cause a considerable operating improvement.

Andy

Good evening Andy,

At some point in its life it's had a replacement motor. Still open-frame, and still with the magnet in the cab. The motor looks like a Pittman. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I don't think you're being morbid at all, John,

Just sensibly realistic. 

My point about the models illustrated earlier is that, for what they cost (on ebay and from a club second-hand stand - Wakefield, I believe), my friend paid considerably less than the cost of the component parts. The two kit-built locos were effectively bought for much less than the cost of their bits, and, realistically, the building and the painting were free! Someone, somewhere has made a thumping great loss! 

The Japanese Crab had the original paperwork in its box, together with an advert and a review in the MRC from 1960/'61. In those, the price was £20.00, plus purchase tax! What's £20.00+ in today's money. Hundreds? 

I was discussing the 'value' of my model railway, and a friend's model ralway just the other day and neither of us is under any illusion that our survivors will get anything near what they've cost. In my case, I'll just write my time off, but my friend, because most of his layout/locos/stock have been built on commission, will have spent considerably more. In the main, mine works out at the cost of the bits (largely through barter), not paying professionals to do work for me. 

But, as you've alluded to, what price the cost of the enjoyment gained in having our layouts? Priceless, I'd say. 

And, anyway, who's going to want what I've got after I've popped off? Blokes of my age - already past their Biblical three score years and ten, and counting. A rapidly diminishing potential purchasing pool!  

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, great northern said:

Here's another one Tony. I can't remember how small a space I needed to get this, but it does make a very nice shot.

1013983431_9LB9.JPG.4f2188a16a85c874aa7ef60641436a74.JPG

Thanks Gilbert,

It shows up Ian Wilson's work very well. 

I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Regards,

Tony. 

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

And, anyway, who's going to want what I've got after I've popped off? Blokes of my age - already past their Biblical three score years and ten, and counting. A rapidly diminishing potential purchasing pool!  

Very sobering-thirty percent of men die before 70, another 10% by 75 and another 10% by 80! Fortunately women don't reach 50% dead until 85. Good that they will be around to dispose of the fruits of our indulgences.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John

My mind set regarding what I spend on my hobby is the same. A life time of enjoying railway modelling cannot be valued. All I hope is my family can sell enough off to pay for the skip to put me and the rest of my toy trains in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, nerron said:

Very sobering-thirty percent of men die before 70, another 10% by 75 and another 10% by 80! Fortunately women don't reach 50% dead until 85. Good that they will be around to dispose of the fruits of our indulgences.

Model Railway ownership Tontine anyone?  (:yahoo:Mine! All Mine!!! )

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

The Japanese Crab had the original paperwork in its box, together with an advert and a review in the MRC from 1960/'61. In those, the price was £20.00, plus purchase tax! What's £20.00+ in today's money. Hundreds? 

Almost £440 Tony.

https://www.google.com/search?q=20+1960+GBP+today&oq=20+1960+GBP+today&aqs=chrome..69i64.27370j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

I for one would like one of Your countless A2/2s with wedge cab.

Running ability does not matter.

Modify one side a little and take it along and show mr Thompson what he should have done and ask why he did not.

There must be an interesting story there.

In 1923-5 all Raven  front wheel driven Pacifics  had new crankshafts .

Ravens son died in WW1.

Raven out in the cold.

When Thompson had to do something to the crank and rail-breaking P2s he goofed,even if Ravens frontwheel B16 was a succes.

Strange.

Edited by Niels

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

I'd wager Jesse is going to chime in on that in 3.. 2.. 1... 

:)

I'm sure your stock will have a long and well appreciated after-life, Tony.

Cheers

Scott

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The Bank of England Inflation Calculator puts £20 in 1960 now being equivalent to £464.07 in 2019 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2